Roulette Draft - Round 1 - Harms/Sjor vs. Moby/Red Viper

Who will win this match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
TRV was chosen as an AM more than a week ago though, after a certain point you do need to get a move on otherwise the whole thing gets unnecessarily delayed and wednesday was chosen at TRV's request.
Yes I think that’s all fair. I guess the only thing about that is it’s not Mobys fault if TRV missed the deadline.

Anyway hopefully TRV or Moby submit a proper formation graphic / write up soon and EAP and could just edit it in.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
At first glance Moby has more star power. Then I thought about how Iniesta is the best midfielder on the pitch and probably the best player as well. Him in a Pep-system makes that case even stronger.

Well done for the research of Litmanen vs Redondo. I did not expect to see him in midfield, I thought he was more striker-ish and would be played as false 9 like he was at Ajax. I also expected a 343 with Netto as LWB because I didn‘t think he could feature as LB in a back 4, but he makes totally sense as a Fabian Delph remake.

I don‘t want to comment on Moby‘s eleven because it is not his line-up/tactics. I will just say well done for the drafting, one of the best efforts around and a good blend of complimentary star power and workmanship. I always thought from the outside how it can‘t be that hard to draft a squad full of great players, but now I experienced it at first hand that you need great skill and experience to accomplish that. I was just watching in awe how you racked up one star player after another:lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don't think I've heard of Stan Mortensen before, any more info on him? Other than that great drafting from both sides.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't think I've heard of Stan Mortensen before, any more info on him? Other than that great drafting from both sides.
Pop quiz, hotshot: Who is the only man to score a hat trick in a Wembley FA Cup final? Who was the first post-war footballer to score in every round of the FA Cup? Who scored England’s first ever goal in World Cup qualifying? Who scored England’s first ever goal at a World Cup finals? The answer to all four questions is Stan Mortensen. Seriously, why haven’t films been made about this man? His career reads like Roy of the Rovers as written by Ian Fleming. Plane crash survivor. Wartime spiv. International goal machine. Posthumous symbol of hope.

Read more at: https://beyondthelastman.com/2018/05/02/blackpools-other-stanley-the-stan-mortensen-story/
Mortensen

Mortensen and Wright combining

Finney and Mortensen combining

harms

Staff
Hoped for a more active discussion. Not from @Moby, obviously, and not so much about the game but I would love to hear people's thoughts on our team. The whole draft was an experiment and it's interesting to see how successful it was.

Obviously this was not our ideal team — that chain at the end really fecked us, so we went with Mortensen and put Eto'o outwide. Ideally we were hoping for someone like Simonsen on the right (or, from the very beginning, Robben). But the defence and midfield are close to perfect — Iniesta, Netto, Zanetti, Koeman and Schweiny (alongside Voronin) were all our first choices for that positions and I feel that Litmanen (especially) with Wright were great additions.

MJJ

Hoped for a more active discussion. Not from @Moby, obviously, and not so much about the game but I would love to hear people's thoughts on our team. The whole draft was an experiment and it's interesting to see how successful it was.

Obviously this was not our ideal team — that chain at the end really fecked us, so we went with Mortensen and put Eto'o outwide. Ideally we were hoping for someone like Simonsen on the right (or, from the very beginning, Robben). But the defence and midfield are close to perfect — Iniesta, Netto, Zanetti, Koeman and Schweiny (alongside Voronin) were all our first choices for that positions and I feel that Litmanen (especially) with Wright were great additions.
I like your side a lot but I would have preferred somebody more like voronin instead of schweign. at the base of midfield and obviously a better central striker and defender alongside koeman(if only to get more votes)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I like a lot of the fits. Not sure about the attack though and, as much as it's refereshing to see Mortensen picked, not sold on his fit to a Pep team.

harms

Staff
I like a lot of the fits. Not sure about the attack though and, as much as it's refereshing to see Mortensen picked, not sold on his fit to a Pep team.
Yeah, I agree — as I said, it was a desperate move that lead us far from the original blueprint. We went to the Finney>Wright chain in a hope that we'll get a no mate for the last round (plus Finney offered much needed versatility), but no luck.

harms

Staff
Yeah, congratulations @Moby (hopefully all is well with your health) and @The Red Viper. Love the attacking unit and Sheva fits in just perfectly in 3-5-2 with Laudrup, Kaltz etc. I'm not fully sold on the defence but that's why we have reinforcements.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah, I agree — as I said, it was a desperate move that lead us far from the original blueprint. We went to the Finney>Wright chain in a hope that we'll get a no mate for the last round (plus Finney offered much needed versatility), but no luck.
Aye I suppose that's the luck-based nature of the draft. Like the use of Litmanen insofar as you can see could see him getting dropped into Pep's City today quite seamlessly. Could also see him getting some joy out of Redondo.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Harms without sjor= wins the whole thing
Harms with sjor= first round exit
In NBA the worst team gets a first pick, here we done the opposite - the winner gets me as AM.

Indnyc

In NBA the worst team gets a first pick, here we done the opposite - the winner gets me as AM.
From next draft onwards, we should award the winner something.. Maybe first choice on position in drafting order?

Moby

Dick
Yeah, congratulations @Moby (hopefully all is well with your health) and @The Red Viper. Love the attacking unit and Sheva fits in just perfectly in 3-5-2 with Laudrup, Kaltz etc. I'm not fully sold on the defence but that's why we have reinforcements.
Beaten by a managerless team. :lol:

Kidding obv, good team as always. And ya the surgery went well, thanks. Bit of downtime before I recover fully.

Wish this was played before I went in. Had prepared a full onslaught for Ronald Slowman facing that attack. :D

Indnyc

Kidding obv, good team as always. And ya the surgery went well, thanks. Bit of downtime before I recover fully.

Wish this was played before I went in. Had prepared a full onslaught for Ronald Slowman facing that attack. :D
Good to hear the surgery went well. Take rest

harms

Staff
It’s actually a good strategy, I remember it working well a few times - post nothing, your opponent begins to feel weird and stop posting as well, or looks like a mad man trying to argue with himself or with imagined arguments :lol:

Was expecting attacks on Koeman and he was one of the reasons why we knew that we're not going far — I'd never upgrade him or Netto because of the theme and they're doomed to be seen as a weakness in the later stages (if not in the first round — Sheva is not a type of a striker that Koeman will be comfortable with)

I'd even make a case for Koeman being underrated defensively (which is definitely the case — to an extent) if it were someone other than Shevchenko on the other side.

Last edited:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

It's nice to see Netto being included in a possession based lineup. The old Spartak possession style(now long abandoned) never gained the same level of international appreciation as what Dynamo Kiev were doing tactically, the 70s-90s teams that were competing in European competition usually had a few too many other issues that stopped them being successful enough to draw attention, not least a lack of regard for defensive side of things. Yet looking purely from a tactical perspective at their style when on the ball, it was very sophisticated, forward thinking stuff that had the majority of components we see in modern possession teams being performed to a high standard, without getting too bogged down in slow buildup. The Netto led teams of the 50s were the genesis of that, but were more well rounded(relative to the era) and had a lot more firepower than any of the later sides, it would have been interesting to see them in the early European cups.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

The consequences of the chain explain some of the odd fits imo. Some good stuff on Mortensen though that fit still just seems out of place. But it makes sense as Eto'o was the player you were targeting for CF. Eto'o - Simonsen would have been a lot easier to visualize for me as a Pep City homage. Same with a Iniesta-Schwein-Voronin midfield. So I'd say you two were spot on with the strategy but the chains just forced less than ideal fits.