Round of Applause for Matt Judge

IrishRedDevil

The Banker did good.

Judge joined the club in 2012 and has been involved in transfer and contract negotiations since 2016. Judge obtained a masters degree in economics and finance at Bristol University - Woodward went to the same university - and pursued a 13-year career in investment banking before joining United.

Judge is understood to be the man who sounds out agents and whether players want to come and often the point of contact representing both United players in negotiations over new deals, and players in whom United hold an interest.

Lebo

I don’t know why I thought this is Howard Nurse appreciation thread.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Isn't Judge the one Evra said he was told never answered his phone?

Woodward, Judge, Glazers, none get a well done from me, they have to continue like this over the next few years. The job isn't done

MUFC OK

Be objective. If you can’t give credit when It’s due, your criticisms will never carry any weight.
I question the legitimacy of this summer being Matt judges work.

It stinks of PR spin and we know how much of that there is been bigging up Woodward/judge. It would seem bizarre that judge has somehow finally got it right when we’ve added murtough and fletcher (whom I trust to give his all to the role). I also can’t stand luckhurst or his coverage of Utd news - he essentially created and continues to drive the Henderson over de gea agenda in my eyes, so he’s far from an object journalist.

snk123

Let's judge him after he sells some of the deadwood for a reasonable amount for once.

gfive

Are we applauding Judge for finally being competent at his job?

hobbers

He negotiated De Gea, Martial, Jones and Sanchez's contracts.

So, uhh, nah.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why Matt Judge only? The tweet mentioned 3 people. Those three are the team that should be applauded and of course the change happened because Mutough has full control of the show now no more Ed Woodward's show.

432JuanMata

He negotiated De Gea, Martial, Jones and Bailly's contracts.

So, uhh, nah.
Well DeGea was incredible for years and had a bit of a rough patch so it was understandable as he was still our #1. Martial deserved it at the time. I don’t get Jones and Bailly though

Threesus

This feels small time. Reminds me of arsenal fans piping about ‘don’ Raul for signing pepe for 72 M.

If these lot had been sensible from the off, we wouldn’t have been in the trenches for the last 8 seasons.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Or maybe he was stuck between a hard place & a rock?
You mean Ed wanted him to overpay and get players in on the last day and now that Ed is going off, he's allowed to negotiate and handle deals quicker?

Let's see how he deals with selling the likes of Peirara and Lindgard. Chances are that we're not going to recoup much from his track record.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know who plays key roles as they all are part of management team/recruitment team, as a team they have done very good job signing Sancho and Varane for the reported prices.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Let's see how he deals with selling the likes of Peirara and Lindgard. Chances are that we're not going to recoup much from his track record.
It's out of his hand, how much other clubs are willing to pay for these two.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't know who plays key roles as they all are part of management team/recruitment team, as a team they have done very good job signing Sancho and Varane for the reported prices.
True. It's A+ job, and i don't think it could get any better for those two signings.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You mean Ed wanted him to overpay and get players in on the last day and now that Ed is going off, he's allowed to negotiate and handle deals quicker?

Or they had marketing potential/objectives behind each transfer player -- and that would exaggerate the value of some players. You have to look at who is eventually responsible for the sign-off and look at their individual KPIs/prism.

The only reason they let negotiations drag-on/dither is that either:
1) they have no actual idea of the market value of the player (other than their marketing potential) where not listening to the scouting team, or
2) they think negotiation is like some process you do like in the wet markets of Bangkok. A chicken race and you see who blinks first.

You try negotiating on behalf of those sort of leadership?

At least Woodward has recognised his past mistakes and has appointed football people in charge and it makes things a tad clearer ... and easier to negotiate, walking away if needed.