Roy Hodgson | Appointed England Manager

MacMUFC

Sorry if theres another thread.

What do you lot make of him so far? Is it just me that expected him to do a bit better than he has done so far? There wasnt a thread on it which was quite surprising, but he said this about Ryan Babel:

"So when there were offers for him (in August) we were prepared to allow him to go down and speak to those clubs.

"But we made it perfectly clear that other things would have to slot into place before we were able to allow him to go.

"The other things we had in mind did not slot into place and now it is up to him to convince me.

"No doubt if, by January, he hasn't succeeded in convincing me that he is the player we need then he will have to accept we will be in the transfer market for a centre-forward once again.
For me, that is shocking man-management and i'm not just saying that. fecking Rafael Benitez would've been ashamed to say that. Tell a player who's clearly unwanted, low on confidence and under pressure that he's got by January or he's off. Genius.

I also thought he made the wrong decision by letting Aqualini go. He was starting to look promising by the end of the last season. Roy's tactics havent been great either.

Obviously he needs time and everything and i'm nor writing him off, but I must admit I thought he'd do better. He seems a bit too soft though, at times I think he's said things he shouldnt at a club as big as Liverpool, cant really think off of the top of my head, but he needs to be more tough. I predicted at the start of the season that I thought Liverpool would finish 4th, now i'm not so sure...

Thoughts?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I like Uncle Woy. He is in an impossible position though with the owners and a fanbase that seems to love sucking on Rafa's cock. I'd like to see him do well but then that means Liverpool do well so then not so much.

And someone needs to give Babel a kick up his backside though. Eventhough its racist.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
For me, that is shocking man-management and i'm not just saying that. fecking Rafael Benitez would've been ashamed to say that. Tell a player who's clearly unwanted, low on confidence and under pressure that he's got by January or he's off. Genius.
You mean there's only one sort of man-management ?

SecondFig

Alternatively he's trying to give a player who has massively underperformed a kick up the backside to get him motivated. He's giving him a chance, saying "prove me wrong". Nothing wrong with that, and I wouldn't have expected him to do much better. He's only been in charge for what, 7 games? The team and club are in a mess, I don't know what you're expecting him to do

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
He is working under the most difficult of circumstances, and personally I don't know why he was willing to take the job in the first place.

The club is in a shambles and their best hope is fighting to regain their "top 4" status. Then, even if he is lucky and his only two "world class" players do not sustain major injuries he still faces an uphill battle against Spurs and Man City who have superior squads.

MacMUFC

You mean there's only one sort of man-management ?
Huh? I can never understand your posts, or the point you're trying to make :p Basically, I could never imagine SAF even saying that, nevermind in public. However, I do imagine many managers saying something similar to that that behind closed doors, but in a different manner. Imagine if SAF had said that to Nani last season.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
All but 2 or3 of his players are mediocre at best ... He has a hard job there but his public talking on babel was wrong... That's unless babel was causing trouble behind the scenes.. Woy is not a top manager .. Never will be

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Could not have asked for a harder set of fixtures to start with, Imagine if Pool got Chelsea's opening 5 games instead. Things would look very different now

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Huh? I can never understand your posts, or the point you're trying to make :p Basically, I could never imagine SAF even saying that, nevermind in public. However, I do imagine many managers saying something similar to that that behind closed doors, but in a different manner. Imagine if SAF had said that to Nani last season.
So there's only one sort of man-management and thats Sir Alex's way. You cannot behave differently than Sir Alex, or else you are in the wrong

MacMUFC

Alternatively he's trying to give a player who has massively underperformed a kick up the backside to get him motivated. He's giving him a chance, saying "prove me wrong". Nothing wrong with that, and I wouldn't have expected him to do much better. He's only been in charge for what, 7 games? The team and club are in a mess, I don't know what you're expecting him to do
There have been a few things I would've expected him to do better. A lot of them are minor details that make a difference in the big picture. I'm not writing him off though, as someone has said, he hasnt come into a club where everything is rosy so that hasnt helped, but I found his treatment of Babel quite bad. Babel hasnt even had a chance to prove himself. He comes on as sub and scores a screamer here and there, but has never got a continued run of games, like Nani did last season and now look at him! Its a quite fascinating transformation. Babel must be treated better.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Babel is not his player. Fergie did not exactly hold back when he 1st joined Utd and quickly shipped off a lot of players he did not want (made a few enemies in the process)

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Could not have asked for a harder set of fixtures to start with, Imagine if Pool got Chelsea's opening 5 games instead. Things would look very different now
Yes. This too. They've had a tough start. Arsenal, Shitty and now United. And two of those away from home. Plus having to qualify for the Europa League.

MacMUFC

So there's only one sort of man-management and thats Sir Alex's way. You cannot behave differently than Sir Alex, or else you are in the wrong
There's numerous ways to handle players. I was shocked to see the route Roy went down about Babel and I honestly cant name another manager that would've said that in public. Thats what made it worse and more bizarre to me. The likes of Fergie, Wenger, O'Neill and even Mourinho to an extent always protect their players in public. Okay, yes they're top managers, but i'm sure there are plenty more managers in the PL that would've taken a different route to Hodgson.

MacMUFC

Babel is not his player. Fergie did not exactly hold back when he 1st joined Utd and quickly shipped off a lot of players he did not want (made a few enemies in the process)
Mate, thats like 20 years ago. Look how many times Fergie has said players are different to when they were 10, 15 years ago. They're a lot more fragile nowadays.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think he's done alright actually. He's just what Liverpool needed. He won't win titles or anything like that but he'll build a good squad ready for whoever comes in after him.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Can we avoid calling him rubbish until after tomorrow please

Carl

Can we avoid calling him rubbish until after tomorrow please
I know.

In the week building up to the Liverpool game we've had a thread calling both Torres and Hodgson rubbish.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
There's numerous ways to handle players. I was shocked to see the route Roy went down about Babel and I honestly cant name another manager that would've said that in public. Thats what made it worse and more bizarre to me. The likes of Fergie, Wenger, O'Neill and even Mourinho to an extent always protect their players in public. Okay, yes they're top managers, but i'm sure there are plenty more managers in the PL that would've taken a different route to Hodgson.
you prefer managers who say their young player was the star of an U19 European tournament and a brilliant prospect, before canceling out the deal to buy other youngsters ?

MacMUFC

you prefer managers who say their young player was the star of an U19 European tournament and a brilliant prospect, before canceling out the deal to buy other youngsters ?
Are you referring to Ljajic? He wasnt even our player so that doesnt have anything to do with man management.

Carl

I prefer Fergie over Hodgson, yes.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
People like him because he's a really decent bloke but he's not a particularly good football manager.

I reckon he's a worse manager than Rafa.

MacMUFC

People like him because he's a really decent bloke but he's not a particularly good football manager.

Does anybody think otherwise?

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
Sorry if theres another thread.

What do you lot make of him so far? Is it just me that expected him to do a bit better than he has done so far? There wasnt a thread on it which was quite surprising, but he said this about Ryan Babel:

I also thought he made the wrong decision by letting Aqualini go. He was starting to look promising by the end of the last season. Roy's tactics havent been great either.

Obviously he needs time and everything and i'm nor writing him off, but I must admit I thought he'd do better. He seems a bit too soft though, at times I think he's said things he shouldnt at a club as big as Liverpool, cant really think off of the top of my head, but he needs to be more tough. I predicted at the start of the season that I thought Liverpool would finish 4th, now i'm not so sure...

Thoughts?
He's been rubbish

he spends more time talking about the owners than the team

his tactics against Man City were horrible aswell
So far Woy's media and player handling has been a breath of fresh air after years of Rafa and his awkward clamouring. Can't get where you think he's rubbish from. The City game was a handful of games into his tenure.

As I pointed out in my 'Woy of the Woeful' thread, Woy has been left a cluster feck of a job and things are going to get worse before they get better. Expect a heavy defeat tomorrow.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think Benitez is a very good manager, Hodgson's a step down.
Rafa is a good manager when money is available. Otherwise he gets his knickers in a confused Lucas-twist.

Roy is a good manager that may, or may not, succeed as much as Rafa if he got lots of money to spend. But with little money he can produce more.

Roy is the right man for penniless Liverpool. Rafa isn't. The management isn't a step down, the ownership has been.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Does anybody think otherwise?
I do. People are seriously underestimating Roy. People are also judging him on only a short space of time at Loserpool. He has walked in to a minefield.

His teams always play attractive football and given time at Loserpool he will get rid of Rafa's long ball bullshit.

Karel_Poborsky

Roy is a good manager. But Liverpool fans are never going to be happy with him. He's a manager that gets results, not one who plays attractive attacking football.. and that will be his downfall at Liverpool.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Like I said earlier, impossible to judge yet on his current tenure. 1st game of the season - home to Arse, 2nd away to City. Throw in away to Brum, and us (only handy was home to WBA) and you really could not ask for a worse set of fixtures.

If this was our 1st 5 games there would be uproar, stating we have been hard done by, and everyone else gets an easier set to begin.

And as for Brwned comments that he is not a good manager. That is bullshit. He has proved himself around the World that he is (with the exception of his 2nd season with Blackburn).

As Dumpster mentioned above, for a big club with no cash, you would be hard pushed to find anyone better to get them through this current situation.

TuTuHimm

Can definitely write definitely correctly
He won't be as popular as Rafa was, because he isn't fooling them like Rafa with his us against them comments in the media. Roy is a reasonable man and won't talk shit like Rafa. We all know how easily scousers are manipulated in the media. Rafa mastered that, shit even a lot of them care more for Rafa than Liverpool.

Aboutreika18

I think he's surprised those who haven't followed his career abroad and subsequently he's become overrated a tad since he returned and did a good job with Fulham.

He's a step down from Rafa but a good, vastly experienced manager. Certainly a good example of an English manager who didn't stay in his comfort zone and went abroad, learned tactically, established new contacts etc. A bit like what Steve McClaren's in the process of doing.

AlwaysRedwood

Yeah, four games in and he's 'rubbish.'

He didn't start well at Fulham either and then the team came together quit nicely.

He'll be fine and he'll turn the team around. He's an excellent manager.

Brwned

You cant be serious?
Sadly so.

I think he plays unattractive football, I think he's too limited for a club of Liverpool's size and in general I think he's punching above his weight.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sadly so.

I think he plays unattractive football, I think he's too limited for a club of Liverpool's size and in general I think he's punching above his weight.
If we lose today, than I'm gonna blame it on this post.

Brwned

Only fair.

I'm gonna blame it on me being a bit pissed - lose-lose.