Roy Hodgson | Appointed England Manager

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Agree. Offensively he is much better than Smalling, he's much more mobile and better on the ball.

Say we got to the knockout stages and had to play Portugal (with Ronaldo presumably playing LW?) - then Jones would be my first choice pick at right back. Walker or Johnson wouldn't be able to cope with it - nor would they be able to cope against players like Neymar, Ribery, Robben, Silva etc. In contrast we've seen Jones keep Ribery and Ronaldo fairly quiet in games.
I've seen Didier Zokora out of position at rb keep Ronaldo quiet. Doesn't mean I'd want to play him there again consistently, certainly not in front of actual rightbacks.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I've seen Didier Zokora out of position at rb keep Ronaldo quiet. Doesn't mean I'd want to play him there again consistently, certainly not in front of actual rightbacks.
Sure you have pet.

Jones is far superior to Walker defensive that much is clear. If you want to debate that fact then go ahead and debate it. Jones would be the clear and sensible selection at RB against a world class LW. Walker would get absolutely raped. Jones' best position is unclear, I'd say his best games, certainly against top opponents, have come at right back. Ribery is one of the best players in the world and Jones didn't give him an inch this season. Last season he did the same to Ronaldo. How has Walker fared against top opponents recently? I seem to remember City, Chelsea and Liverpool all destroying the Spurs defence this season, and he doesn't play in the CL so he doesn't come up against players of Ronaldo or Ribery's standard.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sure you have pet.

Jones is far superior to Walker defensive that much is clear. If you want to debate that fact then go ahead and debate it. Jones would be the clear and sensible selection at RB against a world class LW. Walker would get absolutely raped. Jones' best position is unclear, I'd say his best games, certainly against top opponents, have come at right back. Ribery is one of the best players in the world and Jones didn't give him an inch this season. Last season he did the same to Ronaldo. How has Walker fared against top opponents recently? I seem to remember City, Chelsea and Liverpool all destroying the Spurs defence this season, and he doesn't play in the CL so he doesn't come up against players of Ronaldo or Ribery's standard.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7763495.stm

And what a strange argument to use. Firstly, Walker didn't even play in 2 of those games. Secondly, since when did defeats and goals conceded come down to individual mistakes from the right back rather than....oh I don't know defense as a whole and how the whole team presses and moves and how the manager sets them up? Incidentally (and not that I'd say he's faced much competition from the clowns around him), I'd say Walker has been our best defender this season.

I'm not quite sure what the point of trying to argue would be tbh. You've immediately jumped to patronisation, clearly without a proper recall of the facts and trying to argue with the faithful here that another player may even compare to theirs, especially when that player is one of the current darlings ala Jones/ Nani 2 years ago, you're only going to be met with ridicule and emotive arguments.

So to sum up:
Zokora never faced Ronaldo
Jones is infinitely better than Walker, in every way, especially as a rightback
Walker consistently gets raped against top class opposition, which only exists in a vacuum in the CL and never in the premier league

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
That will be probably his list for Brazil

Hart
Forster
Ruddy

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines
Jones
Smalling
Caulker
Shaw

Gerrard
Wilshere
Milner
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Lallana
Sterling
Henderson
Barkley

Rooney
Sturridge
Welbeck
Lambert

He should go for a 4-3-3

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jaglielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Wilshere

Sterling
Rooney
Sturridge

TheGame

I cannot believe people here are suggesting we play 2 in midfield. We will get taken apart unless we play 3 in there. We will be chasing the ball in the heat. Should play 4-3-3 and use the pace of front 3.

TheGame

That will be probably his list for Brazil

Hart
Forster
Ruddy

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines
Jones
Smalling
Caulker
Shaw

Gerrard
Wilshere
Milner
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Lallana
Sterling
Henderson
Barkley

Rooney
Sturridge
Welbeck
Lambert

He should go for a 4-3-3

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jaglielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Wilshere

Sterling
Rooney
Sturridge
Caulker has done nothing to suggest he should be in hype squad. Cardiff have been dreadful and he has too. Should he nowhere near the squad. Even someone like Curtis Davies has performed better than him. Jones as fourth CB should be fine.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Milner/ Wilshire

Sterling
Rooney
Sturridge

Which I think is pretty similar to what most others seem to be thinking as well. I think that or a variant will be what he ends up going for.

XdanielredX

If we were to sign Shaw, the entire England outfield could potentially be entirely a Man Utd/Liverpool Composite.

Johnson-----------Jones--------------Smalling-----------------Shaw

------------------Gerrard-------------Henderson--------------------

Sterling---------------------Rooney-------------------------Welbeck

---------------------------Sturridge--------------------------------

Then there's still:

Carrick
Cleverley
Young
Powell
Flanagan

But for the World cup I would start Barkley over Henderson

And if Welbeck isn't firing give Lallana or Ox a go at left wing

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Much if not all of the starting XI shoudln't come as too much of a surprise i don't think. My prediction would be:

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson

Sterling
Rooney
Lallana

Sturridge

Danny has to be the ready replacement for whichever of the forwards begins to wilt first, well with the exception of Sterling that is. Not that Martin Samuel would agree with me mark you, as during the Sunday Supplement he attributed Welbc's presence in the squad to the lack of decent alternatives rather than being any reflection of the player's actual worth.

Sheikhy

Low blows from Woy at the England Presser.

Roy Hodgson
on Danny Welbeck's move to Arsenal: "The biggest bonus is for Danny Welbeck. When you are a player of his calibre and find yourself at United with competition for places, you don't always get the starts you would like.

"He is going to a club where he will hopefully get more starts and playing time.

"It is not easy for players playing a small part in club games, then coming and playing 90 minutes for England in intense surroundings.

"So I am pleased for Danny and I think Arsenal have signed a good player.

"But my job is with England and the players I choose. I don't wish to make any suggestions about what clubs do with their players. But I cannot deny the more players play and the more experience they get, especially at Champions League level, the better it is for me at international level."

More from Roy Hodgson on the expected low attendance at Wembley: "I've been lucky that we've played in front of full houses and it will be a new experience tomorrow but, as Gary Neville has pointed out, there were times when he was playing where they got 25,000, so let's keep things in perspective.

"We are very grateful to the people who supported us in Brazil and who comes tomorrow. We have to make sure we do re-engage with the public."

Mindhunter

I find this very surprising. Not only is he allowed to continue at his job after the debacle of a campaign that he presided upon, he is also allowed to shoot off that mouth of his from time to time.

ravi2

Mascherano?!?!

As if England didnt already have a rough time winning ...now this

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Oh i can see what's happened here. Roy actually wanted to select David Luiz, but his pen slipped slightly and went to players under M instead.

It's perfectly understandable.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
That tells nothing of the sort. He might've took it non-seriously (as everyone should), he might've seen Mascherano as underrated and wanted to show his appreciation.,...and yeah, he might've been drunk also, I guess.

Boycott

Mascherano had an awesome World Cup. I mean quite a few people voted for James Rodriguez who only came to star attention from the tournament. What's the difference?

NessunDorma

Looks to me like he was trying to make a point about defensive players being under appreciated. And so he's picked three defensive players, all of whom appeared in the World Cup final - still the pinnacle of all football for some - and two of whom won it.

And given that he undoubtedly does know a thing or two football, he could probably give you an interesting explanation as to his reasoning.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Every high-profile manager or player who voted has their agenda. And Hodgson's agenda is pragmatic international football. And who better to represent that than Javier Mascherano who was indomitable in the business end of the World Cup?

Ixion

After Barca beat us in 2011 in the final someone at the press conference after asked Sir Alex who he'd most like to sign from the opposition and he said Mascherano ;)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Looks to me like he was trying to make a point about defensive players being under appreciated. And so he's picked three defensive players, all of whom appeared in the World Cup final - still the pinnacle of all football for some - and two of whom won it.

And given that he undoubtedly does know a thing or two football, he could probably give you an interesting explanation as to his reasoning.
Agreed. Mascherano is a better vote than Kroos IMO...

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He's an idiot. He voted for a guy who he knew for about a week before refusing to play for him against City less than an hour before the game and then fecked off to Barcelona. Does he not remember any of that? He's deffo going loo-la.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I actually thought Mascherano was the best player at the WC. Don't know about the Ballon d'Or, but not sure it's as idiotic as other votes or as is being made out on here.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Mascherano was a beast in the World Cup to be fair... and who know's, that could literally be the only non-English football Hodgson has actually seen this year...