Roy Keane - at it again.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
How is he a poor pundit? Genuine question, not trying to argue he isn't. I've only seen the clips where he gets praised for telling it like it is.
Because he provides zero insight. All of his analysis is some version of "the players have to be better"

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Because he provides zero insight. All of his analysis is some version of "the players have to be better"
Yeah agree.

He just comes across like he's got a constant chip on his shoulder, which, for someone who's been blessed with such success, begins to feel more than a little like he's constantly whining...

Weirdly all 'beta' traits (complaining, miserable, whiny, stroppy), which for such an alpha athlete seems strange.

I guess you could say the exact same for Souness...

In fact, in many ways, Keane is like United's version of Souness.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When we have so many issues, the last thing in the world I'd want to do is listen to someone like Keane rip into it.
It doesn't help does it - we can all see it!

Walters_19_MuFc

Rashford and Lingard haven't impressed this season, and may not go on to be the players we all imagined, especially Rashford. However, their work rate can never be questioned. They run their arses off for this club.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Thereare loads of these and honestly they all sound like they are true but are just made up. There was a brilliant one about Keane's response to being asked to do soccer aid.

EDIT, here it is. If you say it in an Irish accent it comes to life.

Ha ha. A thick cork accent boy. They beating limerick at the moment so they will be happy.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I love Keane as a pundit. You can't just have tactical guys like Nev without old school guys like Keane.

Every time he's on screen, I get tense. It's the feeling most horror films fail to provide these days :lol:

Raven

As a cork man, I know opinions are split on him here. I don't like home much, think he's a miserable old prick.

Guapa

Absolute winner. Get him in.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The idea of bringing him in as a coach just to scare players straight is as archaic as it gets. Unsurprisingly, there's a bit more to modern football coaching than just giving players a bollocking. It's a football club, not borstal. His record as a football manager is not a good one.

Besides, no players would want to work in this hypothetical environment where Roy Keane is screaming at everyone. The players would be looking to get out as quickly as they could, leaving Roy to just scream in an empty room. Which is probably what he does anyway.

Ludens the Red

What's there to imagine.

There's a reason he's been shambles in every managerial job
The idea of bringing him in as a coach just to scare players straight is as archaic as it gets. Unsurprisingly, there's a bit more to modern football coaching than just giving players a bollocking. It's a football club, not borstal. His record as a football manager is not a good one.

Besides, no players would want to work in this hypothetical environment where Roy Keane is screaming at everyone. The players would be looking to get out as quickly as they could, leaving Roy to just scream in an empty room. Which is probably what he does anyway.
I see this a lot, that Keane was apparently a shambles in management.
He’s had like two jobs in management with bog standard clubs. At Sunderland he was promoted first season in charge and stayed up comfortably the following season.
Sunderland are now in league one.....

He spent a year or so at Ipswich won 28 lost 28.

Ipswich are now in league one...

So yeah I don’t really get this constant idea of bashing Keanes managerial record when actually not only is the sample size so small but he actually did okay at two bad clubs who have done nothing since and did nothing before he came.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He’s had like two jobs in management with bog standard clubs. At Sunderland he was promoted first season in charge and stayed up comfortably the following season.

So yeah I don’t really get this constant idea of bashing Keanes managerial record when actually not only is the sample size so small but he actually did okay at two bad clubs who have done nothing since and did nothing before he came.
I didn't say it was a shambles. Just that it was not a good one, and it isn't a good one, despite the small sample size. There's nothing in that sample size to suggest he should be brought to United.

His 1st season at Sunderland was good, but the 2nd was the opposite and managed to fall out with all around him. The players reportedly celebrated his departure.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...lebrate-after-Roy-Keane-resigns-Football.html

They also didn't stay up comfortably. They finished 2 points above the relegation zone. They were in the relegation zone when he was sacked.

IIRC he had Ipswich in the relegation zone when he was sacked, and Paul Jewell pulled them back into mid table during the remainder of the season.

Still, the reason people want him in is for him to act like some sort of cartoonish school headmaster, caning wrists and smacking arses. It's just silliness.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Keano was right about facilities for the Irish team back in the day. He was right about the Rock of Gibraltar. And he is right about Pogba.

IrishMcD

Good win today.

Tipp will win it this year i think.
Gaillimh abú!! Ah no, Big Joe is a huge loss for us, Tipp looking shit hot at the minute, but ya cant rule out Limerick, Cork or Clare either. Should eb another cracking championship this summer.

UncleBob

It was a reference to his treatment of players.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yeah agree.

He just comes across like he's got a constant chip on his shoulder, which, for someone who's been blessed with such success, begins to feel more than a little like he's constantly whining...

Weirdly all 'beta' traits (complaining, miserable, whiny, stroppy), which for such an alpha athlete seems strange.

I guess you could say the exact same for Souness...

In fact, in many ways, Keane is like United's version of Souness.
He certainly is. Great post

Classical Mechanic

Keane at Sunderland told by Yorke

Yorke also confirmed the story of how Keane kung-fu kicked a dressing room tactics board during an explosive Sunderland half-time row with the Black Cats 1-0 down to Northampton in a Carling Cup tie.

"He asked our kit manager if he can get the tactics board. The board goes up. And Keano takes a running jump and smashes it with a kung-fu kick.

"Then the captain, Dean Whitehead, is next. 'Captain? Captain? Some f***ing captain you are,' he rags, slapping Dean about the head in the process before turning on us all. 'I can't trust any of you.'"

"Keano had days when he would join in with the five-a-sides and any player on his team who misplaced a pass or miscontrolled the ball would be subjected to a stream of vicious lecturing or abuse.

"It reached the stage where nobody wanted to be on the same side as him.
"'Gaffer,' I said to Keano, 'you're scaring the s*** out of the players.

The rumours of his departure had been flying around for a while, but when it happened it was still a surprise.
"So I sent him a text saying how sorry I was how things had turned out, but thanking him for the chance at Sunderland and wishing him all the best for the future.
"Ten minutes later, I got my reply: 'Go f*** yourself.'

manutddjw

For those criticizing Keane or any of our ex players for their punditry need to understand where they are coming from. These were Fergie players who had it ingrained in them to be winners and to attack. What they’re seeing now goes against everything they were brought up to believe in, its little wonder they’re overly vocal about it.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
What did he say about the Rock of Gibraltar ?
According to himself (and I believe him) he told SAF not to take on Magnier and co. He was never going to win. Whole thing ended up with the Glazers owing the club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Keane at Sunderland told by Yorke

Yorke also confirmed the story of how Keane kung-fu kicked a dressing room tactics board during an explosive Sunderland half-time row with the Black Cats 1-0 down to Northampton in a Carling Cup tie.

"He asked our kit manager if he can get the tactics board. The board goes up. And Keano takes a running jump and smashes it with a kung-fu kick.

"Then the captain, Dean Whitehead, is next. 'Captain? Captain? Some f***ing captain you are,' he rags, slapping Dean about the head in the process before turning on us all. 'I can't trust any of you.'"

"Keano had days when he would join in with the five-a-sides and any player on his team who misplaced a pass or miscontrolled the ball would be subjected to a stream of vicious lecturing or abuse.

"It reached the stage where nobody wanted to be on the same side as him.
"'Gaffer,' I said to Keano, 'you're scaring the s*** out of the players.

The rumours of his departure had been flying around for a while, but when it happened it was still a surprise.
"So I sent him a text saying how sorry I was how things had turned out, but thanking him for the chance at Sunderland and wishing him all the best for the future.
"Ten minutes later, I got my reply: 'Go f*** yourself.'

Another one from Cisse:

"He came in last and didn’t talk for 30 seconds, just watching people.

“He calls his assistant to say ‘can you bring me the ball’.

“The assistant put the ball on the floor. He looked at everybody then put a ninja kick on the ball, like a Bruce Lee kick.

“He said ’You’re s***, you’re a disgrace, you don’t deserve to be at this club’.

“I was just like ‘wow this guy’s crazy’.”

Unfortunately for Keane I'd imagine the effect of pure rage wears off after a while.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
We're a shambles anyway so if someone can bring Keane in and let him run riot like the stories above and have a camera film it will be a hero and create our highlight of the season :lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
We should get Keane & Cantona in, not to take an active part in coaching, or even speak to the players.

They could just stand together at training sessions, watching, staring intensely, showing no emotion and just occasionally whispering and nodding to each other.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Gaillimh abú!! Ah no, Big Joe is a huge loss for us, Tipp looking shit hot at the minute, but ya cant rule out Limerick, Cork or Clare either. Should eb another cracking championship this summer.
Yea tipp look unreal.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
For those criticizing Keane or any of our ex players for their punditry need to understand where they are coming from. These were Fergie players who had it ingrained in them to be winners and to attack. What they’re seeing now goes against everything they were brought up to believe in, its little wonder they’re overly vocal about it.
I understand where Keane is coming from and love his passion.

I'm not offended by his criticism as some weird people are. I just think he's wrong. Times change and to expect players to be .."men" whatever that phrase should mean has no bearing on success.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's amazing really, the length you can go to and still be taken somewhat seriously, just because you happened to be good at kicking a ball around.

'course he's a shite pundit. There's only so much you can say about a football match without it sounding like a tired cliché. These guys werent made for talking.

clarkydaz

I understand where Keane is coming from and love his passion.

I'm not offended by his criticism as some weird people are. I just think he's wrong. Times change and to expect players to be .."men" whatever that phrase should mean has no bearing on success.
sterling beating Pogba to a header isn't just part of the modern game, they can likely see a bit more than us when players are in 3rd gear