Roy Keane - at it again.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This time, I have no issue with his comments. 19 points behind Chelsea is embarrassing.

Rory 7

He fell out with Fergie in 05/06. Learn your history....
In the November 05. After an interview berating the team that finished the previous season 18 points behind and had lost to Middlesborough. Learn your history :lol:? I could write the book. You seem to be somehow suggesting that Keane was never critical of United underperforming when he was a player at the club. Thats a laughable suggestion. And by the way, he's right this time, again.

Son Of Sam

Roy Keane is an excellent footballer - I will raise my hands up and say he's probably the best captain United have ever had in their history.

However, as a pundit? He is an embarrassment. He always acts like a jealous ex. He's the same person that was moaning that Pogba smiled too much with his brothers....

He argued Nani's red card was justified against Real Madrid. He's had a shot at managerial positions too and he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the drawer. Can't he keep quiet about United for once?

Stacks

He has no point, because nobody is celebrating. Preferring finishing 4th to 5th is not celebrating. He's saying people are satisfied with it and he's talking shit. As usual.
see below and the "if we win the Europa thread."

He's right. This whole celebrating EL wins and top 4's has to come to an end. Some people are saying we're having a good season or promising one despite the fact that we're nowhere near the top of the table. We're letting our standards slip with every passing season. I mean, look at how little pressure Mourinho is under. If Madrid, Barca, Bayern or Juve had, had a season like ours someone would be out of a job, instead single wins vs the champions elect and he's celebrated as being something special. At this club you have the best platform in the world. Seemingly endless funds, a club name that can attract almost anyone not playing at Barca, Bayern or Madrid and yet this season is deemed as acceptable. Call me what you want but this level isn't what this club is about. The great Sir Alex Ferguson's hard work is being destroyed by the season.

Rory 7

Roy Keane is an excellent footballer - I will raise my hands up and say he's probably the best captain United have ever had in their history.

However, as a pundit? He is an embarrassment. He always acts like a jealous ex. He's the same person that was moaning that Pogba smiled too much with his brothers....

He argued Nani's red card was justified against Real Madrid. He's had a shot at managerial positions too and he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the drawer. Can't he keep quiet about United for once?
I'd much rather listen to Roy Keane talk about United than Michael Owen or Owen Hargreaves. Can't understand the over-reaction Keane creates on here, most of the time he's only saying what most of us are thinking.

Son Of Sam

In the November 05. After an interview berating the team that finished the previous season 18 points behind and had lost to Middlesborough. Learn your history :lol:? I could write the book. You seem to be somehow suggesting that Keane was never critical of United underperforming when he was a player at the club. Thats a laughable suggestion. And by the way, he's right this time, again.
Chelsea already won the league in 04/05. So Roy Keane was the captain of the United team that trailed Chelsea from August 2004 to May 2005. What did he do then to arrest the decline?

If my memory serves me right, Keane was at Stamford Bridge in our first game of the season against Mourinho. We were outclassed in every department of the game. If we are an embarrassment now, Keane was an embarrassment then by the same token.

Rory 7

Chelsea already won the league in 04/05. So Roy Keane was the captain of the United team that trailed Chelsea from August 2004 to May 2005. What did he do then to arrest the decline?

If my memory serves me right, Keane was at Stamford Bridge in our first game of the season against Mourinho. We were outclassed in every department of the game. If we are an embarrassment now, Keane was an embarrassment then by the same token.
You're nuts.

Oldyella

He has an ulterior motive. He has an agenda against United given how we got rid of him. The guy has a mentality of a teenager. Great player for us but very immature.
Nope, no agenda against United. Possibly Fergie, although thats gone quiet in recent years. He just doesnt care who he offends so says it like it is. Hes just as critical of others, its just headline news when United as hes an ex player.

SteveTheRed

I don't see why "embarrassed" is the wrong word. I think if we are all honest with ourselves, if you were told in July last year that United would finish 6th in the League after all the hype and signing Pogba, Zlatan, Mhiki etc. you would not accept it.

We used to laugh at Arsenal when they scraped 4th every year.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
He's had a shot at managerial positions too and he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the drawer.
This is one of those falsehoods in football I'll never understand.

Led Sunderland from last in the Championship to promotion in his first season in management and led them to 15th in the Premier League the next season. Hardly a failure there is he? He left after disagreements with the owner and the chairman in the following season with Sunderland 18th. Again, not really a failure considering that's par for the course for Sunderland.

Ipswich wasn't great, obviously, but it certainly wasn't terrible. Was just very middling.

By all accounts, especially that of Martin O'Neill, he's currently doing superbly in his role for the Irish national team.

pixel

Roy Keane is the embarrassment & a hypocrite. I don't even know why the media put the microphone before him to air his putrid opinion about Man Utd.

He was the captain of the United team that finished 18 points behind Mourinho's Chelsea in 04/05 season. Did he consider himself an embarrassment that year?

Roy Keane is a miserable twat!
:houllier:

Son Of Sam

I don't see why "embarrassed" is the wrong word. I think if we are all honest with ourselves, if you were told in July last year that United would finish 6th in the League after all the hype and signing Pogba, Zlatan, Mhiki etc. you would not accept it.

We used to laugh at Arsenal when they scraped 4th every year.

It's like you people don't know the extent by which LVG & Moyes damaged us mentally.

Another thing is - If United aren't in Europe, that league table would read differently. There's no way Jose would have lined up a reserve side against Arsenal when the race to top 4 is wide open.

The reasoning is simple - if you are not winning the league outrightly, coming 2nd or 17th is irrelevant as long as you qualify for the Champions League. Chelsea finished 6th in 2011/12 when they won the CL.

Liverpool finished 5th in 04/05(a staggering 37 points behind the champions) when they won the Champions League, that did not stop our Scouse cousins from parading their European trophy. Win the Europa league and this league position issue would become a distant memory.

Son Of Sam

This is one of those falsehoods in football I'll never understand.

Led Sunderland from last in the Championship to promotion in his first season in management and led them to 15th in the Premier League the next season. Hardly a failure there is he? He left after disagreements with the owner and the chairman in the following season with Sunderland 18th. Again, not really a failure considering that's par for the course for Sunderland.

Ipswich wasn't great, obviously, but it certainly wasn't terrible. Was just very middling.

By all accounts, especially that of Martin O'Neill, he's currently doing superbly in his role for the Irish national team.
So a manager that finished 15th in the PL had the cojones to speak foul about Man Utd? If you cannot see the hypocrisy, maybe you should visit Specsavers.

Rory 7

It's like you people don't know the extent by which LVG & Moyes damaged us mentally.

Another thing is - If United aren't in Europe, that league table would read differently. There's no way Jose would have lined up a reserve side against Arsenal when the race to top 4 is wide open.

The reasoning is simple - if you are not winning the league outrightly, coming 2nd or 17th is irrelevant as long as you qualify for the Champions League. Chelsea finished 6th in 2011/12 when they won the CL.

Liverpool finished 5th in 04/05(a staggering 37 points behind the champions) when they won the Champions League, that did not stop our Scouse cousins from parading their European trophy. Win the Europa league and this league position issue would become a distant memory.
So are you saying we should be more like Liverpool then?

Zebs

So a manager that finished 15th in the PL had the cojones to speak foul about Man Utd? If you cannot see the hypocrisy, maybe you should visit Specsavers.
15th isn't embarrassing for Sunderland though. What age are you, may I ask?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Roy Keane is the embarrassment & a hypocrite. I don't even know why the media put the microphone before him to air his putrid opinion about Man Utd.

He was the captain of the United team that finished 18 points behind Mourinho's Chelsea in 04/05 season. Did he consider himself an embarrassment that year?

Don't sit on the fence mate, tell us what you really think :lol:

Son Of Sam

So are you saying we should be more like Liverpool then?
Nope.....I am saying it's not all doom & gloom. United finished 3rd in the league but trophyless in 04/05. Liverpool finished 5th(19 points behind United) but won the CL.

In your own opinion, who had a better season?

Tarrou

I am pretty sure he did to be honest.

Son Of Sam

15th isn't embarrassing for Sunderland though. What age are you, may I ask?
It's not embarrassing for Sunderland but it's embarrassing for Roy Keane who suddenly thinks he's Fergie and can spew junk about anyone in the name of freedom of speech.

If Keane was our manager, where would we be on the table?

Stacks

Well that's true, he is. But it's a process isn't it..it's not going to be an overnight journey after all. Ever since SAF, we've been downhill and Jose's the first man to show signs of arresting that slide. There's no reason to be so critical of everything. No team can move up 6, maybe 7 places real soon. I just think he's a bitter man, and one who's own record with management is pretty poor.
Van Gaal got us into the CL and in both seasons, achieved a high league finish than what we will probably do this year.

Zebs

Kindly share the link where Keane went to the media and called himself an embarrassment for finishing 18 points behind Mourinho.

I don't like conjectures - I want facts!
Just like you know it's a fact that he didn't consider himself an embarrassment.

You're hilarious.

Von Mistelroum

He's not wrong though. We have spent hundreds of millions of pounds and in recent years, we've attracted superstar players that most other clubs could only dream of signing and we've got one of the biggest names in football as our manager. Yet we're still finishing 5th or even 6th in our league, a distance behind the top two.

Son Of Sam

Just like you know it's a fact that he didn't consider himself an embarrassment.

You're hilarious.
Until I see an interview like this one where he said it loud & clear that he was an embarrassment, I refuse to believe he did.

Zebs

Until I see an interview like this one where he said it loud & clear that he was an embarrassment, I refuse to believe he did.
:lol: Beginning to confirm my beliefs that you're barely old enough to have seen Keano play.

Web of Bissaka

I have no issue with his latest rant. He's not wrong.

'There’s no way United should shy away from dealing with these challenges. This idea that they are sixth in the league, I think it’s 19 points behind Chelsea, the manager and players should be embarrassed by that.

'To be so far behind in the league is nothing short of embarrassing. The players they have, the squad, the money they’ve spent it’s not good enough.'
Tbf, Jose have resort to the extreme (still not that much extreme imo) ~ criticising plenty some players who doesn't seem to be up for it. But yes, could've done better. Not easy being a manager of our club and managing some of the players.

Many of the players should be embarrassed though :o for not doing enough this season. Special mention to some of the players who fights well.

'In terms of getting their hands on the Europa League, there’s no reason why they can’t do it.'
If we fail, yeap it's going to be.. bad. Clearly the squad is making the statement "we're not good enough" proven with evidence.

His comment on Rooney is.. slightly bias though. Rooney doesn't do enough to get back his place. Deservedly drop.

Tarrou

Kindly share the link where Keane went to the media and called himself an embarrassment for finishing 18 points behind Mourinho.

I don't like conjectures - I want facts!
Anyone who remotely knows Roy Keane will know he was embarrassed by United's performance that season. As our captain he wouldn't say it publicly, but now he's an ex-player he can say whatever he likes, just like you have the right to whine like a little baby on an internet forum.

Son Of Sam

:lol: Beginning to confirm my beliefs that you're barely old enough to have seen Keano play.
I saw Roy Keane play. Like I said earlier, he was an excellent footballer. Excelling at footballing does not equate sensible & logical punditry.

We are not an embarrassment this season considering the circumstances - If Roy Keane cannot acknowledge that as an ex-United player then he's an embarrassment to each and every one of us.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Keane clearly has an axe to grind with United as alot of his criticism isn't even constructive. If you're paid to talk about football I at least expect some insight rather than simple opinion although I can see why some enjoy his 'straight talking' reputation.

I was a big Keane fan. Great player. But @Son Of Sam does have a point. He was hardly the best manager in the game and caused plenty of disruption along the way.

el3mel

Keane clearly has an axe to grind with United as alot of his criticism isn't even constructive. If you're paid to talk about football I at least expect some insight rather than simple opinion although I can see why some enjoy his 'straight talking' reputation.

I was a big Keane fan. Great player. But @Son Of Sam does have a point. He was hardly the best manager in the game and caused plenty of disruption along the way.
I think it's more to Jose not United. I have been thinking he's holding an agenda against Mourinho since their problem while he was at Villa, remember this photo ?

Keane has always been a character who takes arguments to a personal level, always.

Djemba-Djemba

We win the Europa League and it's been a good season.

Lose tonight or lose in the final and it's been a complete shitshow of a season.

Son Of Sam

We win the Europa League and it's been a good season.

Lose tonight or lose in the final and it's been a complete shitshow of a season.
100% in agreement.

Anything short of winning Europa league then it's a joke of a season & I would recommend manual castration for Mourinho & half of the squad.

FujiVice

Considering the amount of money he spent, his run in the Premiership was pretty rotten. He bought 10 players in the first season, 19 players in his second season and 9 in his final season. Some good players among them as well. Sunderland had money to spend and could compete with a lot of the top 10 on wages as well. His whole managerial philosophy was to throw money at the problem. And eventually lost the dressing room.

SteveTheRed

And what if we lose the final? People seems to forget it's a cup final, any team can beat anyone on the day stranger things have happened!

The league is the ultimate test for a team, you can look at that table come next week and say that everyone is exactly where they should be. Chelsea deserve to win it, Spurs have been the 2nd best team, City/Liverpool just behind in 3rd or 4th and we are on the fringe, not quiet good enough...again. Embarrassing.

Rory 7

Nope.....I am saying it's not all doom & gloom. United finished 3rd in the league but trophyless in 04/05. Liverpool finished 5th(19 points behind United) but won the CL.

In your own opinion, who had a better season?
United had the better League season. Liverpool had a their one in twenty years freak season. I'd prefer us to get back to more consistency in the league. Mind you we are pretty consistent in the league since Fergie left.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
League form is a comedy, players gave up the title race after few months and now they're out from top 4 chase because Swansea is apparently too dangerous for United from quite a while now.

If Keano would play like some of these jokers, Sir Alex would tear him new asshole on his forehead. You have to understand, Roy is a different generation and he takes things from the absolute winner perspective.