Roy Keane - at it again.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/roy-keane-hammers-manchester-united-12976155

Apparently we make him cringe be celebrating getting top 4.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, not one fan I know is celebrating top 4. We see it as an absolute minimum for our season. If we somehow get top 4 this season, I'd be relieved rather than celebratory and then immediately think about next season.

If we win the EL and qualify for CL, I'd celebrate it with a bit more vigour and joy, but nothing as if we won the Prem or CL.

Anyone here celebrating top 4?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don't really get it. We haven't been 4th for God knows how long so how can we have been celebrating it to make him cringe? :houllier:

el3mel

Best captain in United's history but unbearable pundit tbh.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Considering we've failed to finish 4th in 3 of the last 4 seasons I guess we've not actually made him cringe that much then?

ravi2

Id celebrate top 4 this year primarily because it'll make getting the transfer targets we need much easier to get.
Next season I expect United to challenge for the league title and I feel that Jose is the man to lead us back to being #1

I understand where Keano is coming from, there is nothing wrong with what he said.

LR7

He could at least let it happen first before he starts cringing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I celebrate any sort of progress. So shoot me.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Many people have said the same exact thing before.
Yeah but who's celebrating it?

He's saying something that simply doesn't or wouldn't happen, therefore what's the need to say it? Most likely because he loves having a dig.

When we're back and winning he'll have digs about how we're doing it. He can't help it.

Web of Bissaka

Not me. Top 4 is just an okay result after 3 consecutive seasons of mediocrity. I don't celebrate it, but I do appreciate the effort in achieving that minimum requirement. I celebrate only when we're winning the EPL becoming number 1 which tbf have been too long.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Not seen anyone celebrate anything, it's just a case of assessing where we are and aiming for some progress. What else does he want us to do just give up and pack it all because we can't win the league? Absolute nonsense, it's like with anything in life, you aim for the best and when you can't achieve that you will naturally settle for the next best thing and if you feel satisfied with that then feel free to bloody celebrate it. It doesn't mean that you don't want better.

Great player but a very weird chap.

AndyJ1985

Keane wouldn't make many friends if he were a member on this forum. He'd be one of the people criticising mediocre players like Lingard and Fellaini, only to be told that he's a hater with an agenda.

el3mel

Keane wouldn't make many friends if he were a member on this forum. He'd be one of the people criticising mediocre players like Lingard and Fellaini, only to be told that he's a hater with an agenda.
Both players are criticized heavily here, I think ?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Keane is used to higher standards. However I still fully expect an over the top caf reaction to a harmless statement.
Do you enjoy an ex top player continually slagging us off in the media?

He was here in great days, we're currently underpar. We get it. We don't need him to constantly drone on about It

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
i don't think anyone wil be celebrating. However, the reality of our situation is that we need to get there.

Devil may care

His latest headline grab would make more sense if there was anyone actually celebrating coming 4th, I don't see the players treating it as anything but the bear minmum and the same goes for fans, I don't know any United fan that sees getting 4th as anything but a building block. Jose himself said 4th isn't a trophy which is why he sees the EL as the bigger deal as the way back to the CL.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
His approach when he was a player worked, as we had an incredible roll call of players.
The time we shipped him out would probably be similar to the last couple of years where we don't, and all his approach would do is demoralise all those around.

ArmchairCritic

Keane was more or less released for this very thing to be fair.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Well with our crappy inconsistent performances, top four looks far far away at the moment. Most likely we won't get it so they'll be no celebrating:D

Hear what he's saying but I don't see many fans intent on celebrating top four if we get it. We would just feel relief not to be schlepping around in the Europa League next season.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I know you guys really want to paint Keane as bitter but, he is not saying anything that has not been said about Arsenal for almost a decade.

lem8sh

Do you enjoy an ex top player continually slagging us off in the media?

He was here in great days, we're currently underpar. We get it. We don't need him to constantly drone on about It
I don't see in this statement where he is slagging us off. Especially as he mentioned all the other big clubs.

Gopher Brown

I won't be celebrating, but it'll wreck my summer if we don't get CL football

Kostur

海尔的老板
I think that the only people who really celebrate the 4th are the ones who whisper him things inside his head.

flappyjay

Has the cnut never heard about Rome not being built in a day. We know the goal for now is qualify for the ucl but next season we expect to seriously challenge for the title.To be honest most of us would be fine finishing 5th whilst getting the Europa.

Nero

I cringe every time Roy Keane opens his mouth

ArmchairCritic

I know you guys really want to paint Keane as bitter but, he is not saying anything that has not been said about Arsenal for almost a decade.
But no one's celebrated anything, he's made up something in his head to have a pop and I don't even remember the last time we were 4th after a round of games.

tomaldinho1

I used to love that he spoke straight and didn't pull punches but he lacks any sense of perspective. I never hear him talk about the actual football anymore - it's always about player attitudes or, in this case, his warped views on various clubs underperforming.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd understand if we won the league last season, but given our current situation, celebrating top four - meaning we'd be in the CL, is normal I'd say.

It's not the United he used to play for. He needs to move on.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Much ado about nothing. aiming for top 4 isn't what we should be doing as a club of our stature, winning titles is what we should be aiming for. That's basically what he is saying.

Too 4 for us is a minimum where we can say right we can build on this, not continuously aim for 4th.

Just because it's Keane, people get ratty.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Much ado about nothing. aiming for top 4 isn't what we should be doing as a club of our stature, winning titles is what we should be aiming for. That's basically what he is saying.

Too 4 for us is a minimum where we can say right we can build on this, not continuously aim for 4th.

Just because it's Keane, people get ratty.
His exact words: "I cringe when I see Man utd and Liverpool celebrating top 4". When have we ever celebrated top 4?

Murphy

My favourite all time player, with that being said if Keane applied himself as a manager instead of being a semi poor pundit he may have been in a position to have managed the club.

Arsenal are coming from a position of stability with the same set up so I understand the frustration from their fans and pundits alike.

We however are in a transitional period, Jose Mourinho not only has to keep us competitive he also had to undo 3 years of bad management on and off the field.
I won't pretend that we have had a good season so far but there have been a lot of mitigating circumstances.

Red4Life_#7

His mindset is suited to a top player playing for a top club. But honestly I respect Sir Alex even more now, because Keane must have been a constant nightmare to keep under control.

Keane is old school and not very adaptive, that's probably why he hasn't had a successful post playing career. Football is so different now and you have to adapt with the times.
I use to love him as a player, but now he has lost so much respect in my eyes as a person. I don't even want to listen to what comes out of his mouth at times.

Nothing wrong with being opinionated, but it's like he's anti-Utd at times, maybe he is still bitter with his exit 12 years ago. We were also extremely successful without him, Fergie built a team to rival the untouchable tic tac Barca, wheras his career fizzed out and has never hit those heights again (including post playing career).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's right, top four isn't something to celebrate. It's the minimum acceptable standard, which is why failing to reach it saw our last two managers off.

prtk0811

He will never realize until he tries his hands at management himself in the epl. He would personally celebrate saving relegation too.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Yeah but who's celebrating it?

He's saying something that simply doesn't or wouldn't happen, therefore what's the need to say it? Most likely because he loves having a dig.

When we're back and winning he'll have digs about how we're doing it. He can't help it.
I'm pretty sure this place would be "celebrating" if we pulled top four out of the bag at liverpools or City's expense.

Mr.Plow

Sure, I'll be celebrating. We simply don't have the players to be challenging for the title. CL Football next season will be one step of many towards getting back to the top. I'd rather be realistic than feel entitled to glory because of what's been and gone.

SuperiorXI

He's right, top four isn't something to celebrate. It's the minimum acceptable standard, which is why failing to reach it saw our last two managers off.
It's not even minimum, for Manchester United 3rd would be minimum borderline disaster. It is only because of the previous frauds that top 4 has become a viable target which can be considered minimum acceptable standard.