Roy Keane - at it again.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He was a fantastic captain and player but it's pretty clear why he never made it as a manager. There's one thing being tough with players, it's another lacking basic human empathy.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
He's clearly a massive bitter prick who obviously hates himself more than anyone else ever could. That stuff about Walters is pretty low and you can see why he'll never make it in management.

I don't for one second believe Fergie was entirely blameless in the bust up either but you can tell Roy's recounting of events isn't entirely honest. He was obviously being a nob during pre-season and later on, probably because deep down he knew his career was all but finished. Doesn't strike me as the sort of person that wanted to ever retire quietly so the blow up was inevitable.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's clearly a massive bitter prick who obviously hates himself more than anyone else ever could. That stuff about Walters is pretty low and you can see why he'll never make it in management.

I don't for one second believe Fergie was entirely blameless in the bust up either but you can tell Roy's recounting of events isn't entirely honest. He was obviously being a nob during pre-season and later on, probably because deep down he knew his career was all but finished. Doesn't strike me as the sort of person that wanted to ever retire quietly so the blow up was inevitable.
Honestly have no idea how you could come to that conclusion. Sure he may be bitter about some things - perhaps he has good reason to be? Hates himself? Ehh... what? I agree the Walters stuff was pretty shitty but generally I don't think he is out of line at all.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Honestly have no idea how you could come to that conclusion. Sure he may be bitter about some things - perhaps he has good reason to be? Hates himself? Ehh... what? I agree the Walters stuff was pretty shitty but generally I don't think he is out of line at all.
Because I know people like him. He's angry at everyone and everything that doesn't fit into his narrow view of the world. Thing is if you carry that chip on your shoulder for life it'll only end up weighing you down.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Because I know people like him. He's angry at everyone and everything that doesn't fit into his narrow view of the world. Thing is if you carry that chip on your shoulder for life it'll only end up weighing you down.
He seems like a pretty content guy to me - he obviously has an axe to grind about certain people or things that have happened in the past but generally he seems like a big family guy who is probably a pretty cool guy in real life. A lot of what he says he does to get a reaction and he enjoys it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
He seems like a pretty content guy to me - he obviously has an axe to grind about certain people or things that have happened in the past but generally he seems like a big family guy who is probably a pretty cool guy in real life. A lot of what he says he does to get a reaction and he enjoys it.
:lol: "content". If I asked 100 people to name an adjective they'd use to describe Roy Keane I'd be fairly confident that 'content' wouldn't appear once.

As for being a cool guy in real life, there's a story on these very pages of him being a nob to someone for no apparent reason. You don't have to look far for them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
:lol: "content". If I asked 100 people to name an adjective they'd use to describe Roy Keane I'd be fairly confident that 'content' wouldn't appear once.

As for being a cool guy in real life, there's a story on these very pages of him being a nob to someone for no apparent reason. You don't have to look far for them.
Well I don't see what you see. I've been a nob to people for no apparent reason at certain times in my life too, doesnt mean i'm a total prick. Honestly think some of the people in this forum go way overboard on Keane who is somebody you would think would actually get a lot of respect and love generally in here of all places. It's utterly bizarre to me frankly. You think he is bitter? Take a look at some of the nonsense spouted in Keane threads!

kps88

Funnily enough one of the hosts puts the word "content" to him in the interview and he immediately says "I wouldn't go that far" and goes into his whole "don't get into a comfort zone" routine.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Well I don't see what you see. I've been a nob to people for no apparent reason at certain times in my life too, doesnt mean i'm a total prick. Honestly think some of the people in this forum go way overboard on Keane who is somebody you would think would actually get a lot of respect and love generally in here of all places. It's utterly bizarre to me frankly. You think he is bitter? Take a look at some of the nonsense spouted in Keane threads!
I respect everything he did for this club. Just don't have any time for the man at all. Also I live in Ipswich and I've spoken to enough people here who've met him and say the same.

Phil Osophy

In that video he's heating up like an oven with all the people there laughing and cheering, he felt right and wanted more applause no matter how. He clearly needs a friend.

UpWithRivers

Dont see what people have a problem with. Hes bang on. Yes he is an arse and other things he said were out of order but in this particular instance he is absolutely right. We should be ashamed for being happy with top 4. Its a joke. What people should have a problem with is the likes of Neville backing up his mate and saying lets wait for Guardiola to leave and maybe we will have a chance and all the rest of his nonsense

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And he is picking on Walters because Walters had the temerity to open up about the recent tragedies in his family? Grow the feck up Roy. There's a fine line it seems between being a tough competitor and a human without any empathy.
This, Roy Keane is a cnut. No 2 ways about it for me.

RochaRoja

Regardless of what you think of him as a player, I have no idea how anyone can respect him as a man. He truly is a cnut in the worst possible sense of the word.

Keefy18

"look at his medals" :lol:
If Fergie hadn't of had his head scout and brother snap up Keane (Irony in Keane's comments), I'm absolutely certain Keane's medals would be non existent.

Considering his other option was Rovers, at best he'd have a single league winners medal...beyond that its anyone's guess but considering Fergie won leagues with and without Keane time and time again, fair to say Keane wouldn't of won much with another PL side.

Tarrou

If Fergie hadn't of had his head scout and brother snap up Keane (Irony in Keane's comments), I'm absolutely certain Keane's medals would be non existent.

Considering his other option was Rovers, at best he'd have a single league winners medal...beyond that its anyone's guess but considering Fergie won leagues with and without Keane time and time again, fair to say Keane wouldn't of won much with another PL side.
I was just quoting Keano talking about Walters in the clip

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Dont see what people have a problem with. Hes bang on. Yes he is an arse and other things he said were out of order but in this particular instance he is absolutely right. We should be ashamed for being happy with top 4. Its a joke. What people should have a problem with is the likes of Neville backing up his mate and saying lets wait for Guardiola to leave and maybe we will have a chance and all the rest of his nonsense
You think his comments regarding Walters are bang on?

I was just quoting Keano talking about Walters in the clip
I don't see how Keane saying that Walters should stop crying is really that funny TBH, considering what the guy has been through.

izec

I respect him in some ways.

He is open about his issues. Just wish he wasn't so immature about them. I mean come on, it's not always about "who is right and who is wrong". How has he survived a happy marriage with such an attitude.
My guess is he isnt the same guy in a marriage/family than in public or the pitch. Even Roy can differentiate between the two. He would be divorced by now if he was behaving the same.

Tarrou

You think his comments regarding Walters are bang on?

I don't see how Keane saying that Walters should stop crying is really that funny TBH, considering what the guy has been through.
not sure why this is directed at me but okay

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
My guess is he isnt the same guy in a marriage/family than in public or the pitch. Even Roy can differentiate between the two. He would be divorced by now if he was behaving the same.
Then one would hope he's meet up with Fergie, put it past him and be the bigger man. Who knows though maybe he's just living up to his tough man persona on t.v

lsd

The Oracle

Totally and the best part is it works and he doesn't even care as he will never read any of the reactions he gets .

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Ferguson was ruthless. All top managers are. The MUTV video gave Ferguson a handy release valve on Keane. Clearly he felt Keane race was run and he wanted shot. Keane's point re Ferguson and his family was spot on. Ferguson should have been man enough to haul him into his office and say that Keane's time was up without the need for a shoddy reason which Ferguson used. Happens to every top player that their time at the top comes to an end. Curious as to why Keane felt that Robson and Bruce's time at United was cruelly ended on both counts. Both guys were clearly age wise at the end of their careers at the top level.
Didn't play them in the 1994 and 1996 Cup finals...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't know why Keane gets hate to be honest. He can SAF (and Queroz) had a horrible falling out. That creates bitterness and dislike for one another. It's hardly as though he's just ripping into SAf and the club for the sake of it. Lots must have happened behind the scenes.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Don't know why Keane gets hate to be honest. He can SAF (and Queroz) had a horrible falling out. That creates bitterness and dislike for one another. It's hardly as though he's just ripping into SAf and the club for the sake of it. Lots must have happened behind the scenes.
I mean, I'm sure Fergie wasn't blameless in whatever happened because he could be a dick himself a lot of the time, but Keane developed a fairly well-established history of falling out with people around him and ending up in bitter rivalries etc due to his personality...he literally walked out on a World Cup and alienated himself from his national side, for example. Plenty of other players had their issues with Fergie or feuded with him but don't seem to hold anything resembling the same level of bitterness. Whereas Keane seems to come across as being remarkably bitter to an incredible number of people within the game.

lsd

The Oracle
I mean, I'm sure Fergie wasn't blameless in whatever happened because he could be a dick himself a lot of the time, but Keane developed a fairly well-established history of falling out with people around him and ending up in bitter rivalries etc due to his personality...he literally walked out on a World Cup and alienated himself from his national side, for example. Plenty of other players had their issues with Fergie or feuded with him but don't seem to hold anything resembling the same level of bitterness. Whereas Keane seems to come across as being remarkably bitter to an incredible number of people within the game.

A lot of people in the game also have high regard for Keane . Ones is sitting beside him in that video so not sure what you are trying to say in that post .

Keane and Fergie are very similar people which is why they worked well together and is also why they fell out . They both rubbed people up the wrong way with their single minded attitudes and desire to win .

90 + 5min

You remember the video? You must either be an ex-Man Utd player or staff member at the showing of the video in private, because it was never allowed to air. Which is it?
Sorry. My misstake. What I meant was I remember what was told in the video if you could believe all the sources. But it would be a lot cooler if I was staff member or ex player.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Watching the uncut video now. Say what you want about him but the guy has a way with words. Blunt, straight to the point, refreshing to listen to, actually jokes about himself in this off the ball interview. There's no doubt that he portrays an image to the world. But Gary implied that Roy isn't like that behind closed doors. Great insight to what it was like at Utd in that period.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
For context it was a live show with the sale of the tickets going to Aware, an Irish charity which helps people with depression. Credit to Keane and Neville on that score.

I thought Neville was incredibly immature at times. Keane definitely played to the gallery. He enjoyed the positive feedback he got from the audience. His honesty is refreshing on some levels, authentic but on other levels chilling. He certainly doesn't like Jon Walters. To be fair Walters was a journey man footballer. Honest etc but not fit to lace Keane's boots. In his pomp Keane was one of the best midfielders in the game. The one similarity is that they both maximised their abilities.
Their is simply no defending his comments about Walters crying on television. It was a disgusting comment. I would defend Neville in that he might not have known the background to the comment. I was disappointed neither of the hosts had the cojones to pull Keane up on that particular comment. Keane clearly doesn't like to be challenged. He ridicules people who have a different way about going on with their lives to him. Very tunnel vision and narrow minded. He is clearly very intelligent, great comic timing and very quick off the mark. Says he has made mistakes yet highlights none which leads me to believe he doesn't actually believe that statement. At least Neville had enough about himself to put his hand up and accept that taking the Valencia manager's post was a mistake.
Regarding management no chairman, having watch that would touch him with a ten foot pole. Can you imagine a fragile player approaching Keane to tell him he, the player, had mental health issues? In the light of the Walters TV comment and baring in mind the charity benefitting from the gig truly ironic and sad.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I like the guy. I think the issue is that his mentality is what made him a top player and maybe it don't translate well into quotes but he's just a no nonsense person. People always want to slam people they don't know but obviously the way it ended at United wasn't perfect. It's a shame and i'm sure a 34 year old Keane would work wonders in this squad. I'd still like him involved at the club tbh. You can read the quotes and you can watch the video and come away thinking different things.

RochaRoja

My guess is he isnt the same guy in a marriage/family than in public or the pitch. Even Roy can differentiate between the two.
I don’t think one can be a selective psychopath to be fair.

JBD-dane

Of course over 26 years, SAF have made decisions that not all was in the interest of the Club. But it is much easier to get away with when you can add a trophy to the club every year.
Keane also had his personal agenda from time to time not to mention the go with Haaland Alf inge Håland.. stop the bitterness, Keano!