Roy Keane the pundit

GueRed

World class footballer in his day, one of the greats.

ok pundit but mainly just a meme to kids these days.

whatever

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He was outdebated there, you aren't bringing Ronaldo back to win domestic cups.

Real Name

He was outdebated there, you aren't bringing Ronaldo back to win domestic cups.
Yeah, that was a bit strange one. Agreed with Carragher yet again.
I mean we didnt bring him to win the cups. I mean we are a cup team a bit now but we didnt bring Ronaldo to win the FA cup.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I love Keane but felt his comments on Carrick's post match interview were awful.

There's two things to consider - firstly, the team has been on such a shit run that even if the performances haven't been there, we've still got 4 points out of two very tough games. That should be acknowledged and the players should be shown some acknowledgement publicly, which Carrick did. Secondly, the interviewer was playing for a soundbite and an angle of "is the tactics more pressing now" insinuating that it wasn't there previously, or discussing comparatively Ole with what's happening currently. He also tried to ask if there are any Rangnick tactics in the game vs Chelsea. Carrick refused to be drawn into that (which is a good thing) and kept his interview fairly generic and drama-free.

Keane then went in on how he's being complimentary on the players but where was that under Ole? Where were the performances in the prior months? I get what he's saying, but is any manager going to come out and trash his players after a good result when they've been on a bad run? Some of the stuff Keane was saying about that Carrick interview was pure fantasy, and no manager does it (we have to remember he's the interim as well). So yesterday was the first time I've felt Keane was playing up for the cameras and courting some controversy for viewers. He's painfully honest, but yesterday I think his comments were very wide of the mark.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A reactionary pundit if I've ever seen one. He's obviously been wound up by the performance (I get that) and his blood is boiling, so he's going on like a ranting fan. He probably has an account on here.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A reactionary pundit if I've ever seen one. He's obviously been wound up by the performance (I get that) and his blood is boiling, so he's going on like a ranting fan. He probably has an account on here.
Thing is isn’t he contradicting himself? Didn’t he say before Spurs that we should focus on being hard to beat (or words to that effect). He doesn’t know what he wants.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Keane's niche is being funny or being angry telling a few home truths about character, hard work etc. I rarely agree with his analysis of the game.

He set this one up perfectly :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Shit I've been rumbled

RuudTom83

Personally I don't think United sat down and thought...how do we win the league? and came to the conclusion to buy Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is at the club because he was on the move to City

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
When I joined in 2005 there were a few rumours that David Beckham was a member on here. Probably a load of old nonsense though.

studs

Keane and Carragher sound like two Turkeys having a fight.

Idxomer

Personally I don't think United sat down and thought...how do we win the league? and came to the conclusion to buy Ronaldo.

Yes, it was a marketing move more than anything else.

Deery

Dreary
I think a lot of people that aren’t Irish don’t get Keane as much, but we have a lot of old grumpy bastards like him who get heat up a lot he isn’t putting on an act.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
When I joined in 2005 there were a few rumours that David Beckham was a member on here. Probably a load of old nonsense though.
I don't know about accounts but I feel a lot more footballers view forums than people think.

If nothing else curiosity will best them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You can see why he was a successful player but you can also clearly see why he was largely a unsuccessful coach/manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thing is isn’t he contradicting himself? Didn’t he say before Spurs that we should focus on being hard to beat (or words to that effect). He doesn’t know what he wants.
They're never happy. The silly thing is if he likes you, you'll never do wrong. Ole needs more time, Ronaldo should play every minute etc etc.

If he dislikes you, you're the worst, shocking bla bla. I love Keane for what he did on the pitch but he's just a rentaquote these days. The fact he got battered by Carragher live on screen was a bit embarrasing.

RUCK4444

I thought Carragher was spot on in that exchange with him, of course we spent like we did in the summer in order to challenge for the title, especially with Ronaldo at his age.

Keane is using our terrible performances under Ole at the end of his time here as a reason to say we are a million miles off challenging and we bought Ronnie to go for ‘cups.’ I think he’s chatting nonsense there and not sure why he’s chosen that hill to die on when he’s usually critical of the club anyway.

They just pay him to rant basically.

poleglass red

I certainly didn't think with the players we signed, or perhaps, more importantly the players we didn't sign, that we would be league contenders this season. Furthermore no pundits tipped us to win the league, the mantra they all spouted was Ole had to win a cup. Carragher himself said that, so I am not sure why Carragher is so surprised by Keano's comments.I think both of them need to wise up. You can see why management didn't work for Keane and why it wouldn't work for Carragher.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I certainly didn't think with the players we signed, or perhaps, more importantly the players we didn't sign, that we would be league contenders this season. Furthermore no pundits tipped us to win the league, the mantra they all spouted was Ole had to win a cup. Carragher himself said that, so I am not sure why Carragher is so surprised by Keano's comments.I think both of them need to wise up. You can see why management didn't work for Keane and why it wouldn't work for Carragher.
Then what was the point of resigning Ronaldo? It makes no sense do that without the intention of hooking a big one, I'd argue Varane falls into that category to some extent aswell (he's unlikely to last long until his 30's given his injury record).

poleglass red

Then what was the point of resigning Ronaldo? It makes no sense do that without the intention of hooking a big one, I'd argue Varane falls into that category to some extent aswell (he's unlikely to last long until his 30's given his injury record).
their hand was forced as it looked like he was of to City.There was no plan to sign him at all. We had serious holes in central mid that needed addressed as well as full back.Top 4 and shares prices is all that the glazers need.A good run in the champions league perhaps with this squad is more achievable than competing for the league, if we won that, god forbid with a bit of luck, that would qualify as a success and something to build on.The poor planning of this club is best illustrated by signing ronaldo when Ole's plan was a younger squad then 3 months later hire a coach whose outlook on football is the opposite of our star player. It's a mess, and to think we could have hired a coach during the 2 week international break

TheLiverBird

I don’t think Ronaldo was bought to win the title “now”

On paper it would look that way, a transfer window of Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo…..surely that screams of wanting the title now?

But IMO the owners were just thinking share prices. Ronaldo was available and United weren’t remotely interested until it looked like their arch Rival was about to secure his services. At this point the owners had made a calculated move on stepping in, they saw money in Uniteds stock going up with Ron’s acquisition and also a good chance too perhaps progress in the champions league (even more money on top of stocks going up).

It was nothing more than a money move.

Ronaldo is a winner, and although he has won it all, and has enough money for 1 million lifetimes…..he wouldn’t want to end his career not winning, Thats literally all he is about, winning, unfortunately moving back to United he will no longer be a winner, not with the current state there

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I thought Carragher was spot on in that exchange with him, of course we spent like we did in the summer in order to challenge for the title, especially with Ronaldo at his age.

Keane is using our terrible performances under Ole at the end of his time here as a reason to say we are a million miles off challenging and we bought Ronnie to go for ‘cups.’ I think he’s chatting nonsense there and not sure why he’s chosen that hill to die on when he’s usually critical of the club anyway.
United were never gonna win the league, with or without Ronaldo. And Keane said exactly that at the start of the season. The club may have had the aspiration to do so but that's different from actually doing so.

Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho were really good signings and the team can perform better than it's doing right now, but...

...can someone genuinely explain to me how United are supposed to actually contend for the league with the central midfield options currently available at the club? Never mind, the likes of Maguire and Wan-Bissaka starting most games.

Zoo

The way he stayed silent for 10 seconds after Carrick’s interview, breathing heavily and looking all intense while everyone else looked on was so weird. Honestly it’s not far off that Spanish talk show El Chringuito that everyone takes the piss out of.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
To be honest I never really expect any particularly insightful analysis from studio pundits these days. Often they are merely stating the obvious anyway, and it seems like such an outrageously easy job with many people stealing a living.

Keane is clearly a 'soundbite pundit', saying things that he and Sky (or ITV during summer tournaments) know will generate attention, interest, clicks etc. And it works. When he says that he wished he had ripped Carlos Quieroz's head off, that Tottenham will always let you down, mocks Arsenal etc, it is funny and entertaining.

In terms of sensible or in-depth analysis, he is clearly out of his depth there, and just seems to repeat a limited set of buzzwords such as leadership, character, desire etc.

Also I get the feeling that he doesn't really have a clue about clubs outside the 'big 6'. I strongly doubt he could give a particularly good analysis of clubs like Villa, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley etc.

MrBrightside1989

Nail on the head. And Ole then had no idea what to do!

TheReligion

Abusive
What's Varane's injury record like? It would appear you think it's quite poor?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I hate to say it but Keane is no different than football dinosaurs like Souness, Merson and the like.
Run around alot, get into tackles, leave abit on the opposition player etc, you get more nuance and sense out of a fecking pub.

Shark

@NotShark
I hate to say it but Keane is no different than football dinosaurs like Souness, Merson and the like.
Run around alot, get into tackles, leave abit on the opposition player etc, you get more nuance and sense out of a fecking pub.
Really can't see Keane ever using terms like gegenpressing tbh

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I've come to the conclusion that Keane and Carraragher are Caf posters going on about something and Jimmy is the rest of us just looking on in morbid fascination.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He is basically showing the world why he was a great player but a poor manager.