Roy Keane

wm28600

If you look at what he's said, and the way he was treated at the end of his career, then objectively it is fair he was right to be riled. Some of the other things he says are objective facts and public knowledge - the playing of his son, and the Preston North End players recalled after Darren was sacked. It was dodgy, and there's no denying that.

There are issues however. I mean it's nearly 15 years since he left, and Fergie has been very ill. It's needless to slag him off now. Just don't comment.

My biggest thing here though is hypocrisy. Gary asked a question saying would Roy Keane manager have done the same to Roy Keane the player. He answered no, but the better question would have been about other players. In Roys managerial career he has had numerous run ins with his players. In fact at every jobs as far as I'm aware.

His scant regard for the Championship, where he has managed a lot, and deriding people with less ability than him suggests what we already know, that he was a great player, he knows how good he was, and he feels he deserves respect. He does, but he has to show respect as well. The feuds with Harry Arter for example. Harry Arter sounds like a right dufus, but in many ways is just a less talented version of Keane, with a similar personality. Through this lens, as the player Keane with a great record of captaining Utd, I am right. As the manager or assistant I am also right and because I'm Roy Keane, you should respect me and not talk back.

Roy and SAF were two people cut from the same cloth, and when Keanes usefulness to the team was no longer paramount, it was inevitable he would go. Lets face it though, Roy has had 15 years to air his grievances, and an autobiography to boot. I love him, but right now it's just un-necceary.

Irrational.

in this interview Neville said Keane said worse in 2002 after a CL game, and Fergie had no problem with it.
I don't think it was the fact that he said these things, it was how he said them in the public domain as he is doing now. That cannot be what's best for United or the players. He was rightly booted out. The same way Stam was after publishing his book.

I think he'd be much more highly regarded if he just kept quiet, but over a decade after his acrimonious exit he continues to mouth off. He cannot accept he is, or was ever in the wrong.

Jimmy_Bond

He still doesn't understand blasting club players on their own TV station was not okay.
Like Keane said, Ferguson used to like him doing it when he was in his peak.

Think it could have been handled better, but then the volatility of the two men is part of what made them what they were. Change the men, change the success. It is what it is. Hope one day they can shake hands.

acnumber9

A lot of our problems are down to never replacing him.Born winner.
What nonsense. Keane was a fantastic player but the most successful period in the clubs history came after him.

acnumber9

I'm gonna come out and say it. The people who are find his comments "distasteful" and all that are the kind of boring people you wouldn't want to hang out with at the end of a day in a pub. He's a colorful character and I love him for it. I'm sure even SAF would say the same and probably laugh off whatever Roy's saying. It wouldn't bother him and he'd carry on and that's how it should be. At least Roy has the guts to call things as they are rather than neuter his comments like most modern day politically correct pundits.
Bitter people are definitely the best craic.

Falcow

I do remember fergie giving him a testimonial afterwards which never seems to get mentioned. I love keaneo but time to move on.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
No he isn't dead to me. I don't hate any footballer, nor love any footballer

Betson

Reckon he would be a hard man to get on , but would give anything to have a Roy Keane in his prime playing for Utd now. One of the greats.

fergiesarmy1

Loved him as a player but he comes about as just bitter now, pretty sure sir Alex doesn’t give a shit about it now so let it go.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Never! Will remain a legend forever to me.

SER19

All time hero of mine, but absolutely pathetic. Scoring cheap laughs from sheep about not contacting him after a brain haemorrhage. Also those agreeing are so full of shit too, who gives a feck if darren played, if he won a title nothing has to be justified. His brother was a good scout. Any of these nonsense criticisms can be met with cold hard results, so stick them up your arse and moan about it.

Ban

He was a great player, a legend, but lets be honest he's not a good human being. And he'e extremely bitter about life.

Anyway I think we dont need yet another Roy Keane thread, especially with this dramatic name.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Why would one of the clubs greatest ever players, Roy Keane, suddenly become dead to you because of a few choice words in the media? Same applies to Neville and Scholes or any other ex-United great who chooses to talk shite after their playing careers.

Their playing careers and punditry careers are entirely separate and should be treated as such.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was a great player to be fair to him, but the stuff he's coming out is utterly pathetic and shows he's still a bitter man. His lack of respect for the greatest manager of all time and one of (if not) the most important men in the history of Manchester United says everything you need to know about him. Even when Sir Alex is suffering from ill health, it's just not appropriate. He's not a good human being.

The same posters shit on other players for much less (look at recent examples in Lukaku, Matic, Pogba, Neville - granted they haven't achieved what Roy achieved), but yet following a damning interview like the above come out with 'legend' and continue the love-in for a thin-skinned stubborn man screams out massive hypocrisy. I simply don't understand the cult-like following he has. He was another great player in the history of the club, but for some he seems to transcend the club itself.
Keane could be more classy and remain silent about the stuff between him and Ferguson, it's history. Personally i get where Keane is coming from, his departure was unfair (IMO) and he really love(d) United. He can't let go of the grudge, i'm very similar in that aspect. Keane doesn't care about optics, i think he speaks as he feels it. Some like it, others not.

As far as i know Matic intended to say with his interview that if he doesn't play and the results add up, there's no problem, but if not the manager might have to think again about him. Pogba wants to play with better players (IMO) and United don't want to spend that big, so he wants out. Lukaku completely lost control of his shape and wanted to join Conte, nothing wrong with that, IMO. Keane didn't want out, Ferguson kicked him out without a warning.

SaintMuppet

Fergie is a ruthless old goat who picked up players and dropped them as it suited him, everyone knows that.

Nothing Keane said was surprising. Should he have said anything? Not sure really but why would he be dead to me for talking? I didn’t see Gary contradicting much he said.

Is it all true? I guess we will never know but anybody who gets upset because dear old grandad club legend Fergie got a bit of stick on tv probably has a rose colored view of the ‘gaffer’

SER19

Fergie is a ruthless old goat who picked up players and dropped them as it suited him, everyone knows that.

Nothing Keane said was surprising. Should he have said anything? Not sure really but why would he be dead to me for talking? I didn’t see Gary contradicting much he said.

Is it all true? I guess we will never know but anybody who gets upset because dear old grandad club legend Fergie got a bit of stick on tv probably has a rose colored view of the ‘gaffer’

People often say this like its some sort of quirk of Fergusons or that its worthy of particular note. Isn't that what management is? As in, pretty much every manager going. In fact you could make a strong case that he had alot sentiment and showed huge faith and loyalty in solskjaer and Smith during injuries, and Keane Robson Bruce and pallister and neville were here long past their best. Keane is talking absolute shite. We're all revelling on how long we've hung onto Jones Rojo darmian and sanchez.

JMack1234

Two things can be true at the same time.

Fergie obviously loved United and always acted in what he believed to be the best interests of the club but he did indulge in a bit of nepotism when it suited him and everyone knows it.

fergiesarmy1

Two things can be true at the same time.

Fergie obviously loved United and always acted in what he believed to be the best interests of the club but he did indulge in a bit of nepotism when it suited him and everyone knows it.
Your at the top of an organisation that size never having worked in the country it makes sense to surround yourself with people you can trust. A lot of our current problems seem to come from a lack of authority in the club, players undermining managers, managers undermining players, chief execs undermining everything.

SaintMuppet

People often say this like its some sort of quirk of Fergusons or that its worthy of particular note. Isn't that what management is? As in, pretty much every manager going. In fact you could make a strong case that he had alot sentiment and showed huge faith and loyalty in solskjaer and Smith during injuries, and Keane Robson Bruce and pallister and neville were here long past their best. Keane is talking absolute shite. We're all revelling on how long we've hung onto Jones Rojo darmian and sanchez.

Did he have his favorites? Absolutely

Do other managers share some of his traits? Yes

Are we talking about other managers here? No

Should Fergie get a pass for treating people like sh1t? Probably not, certainly not from those players themselves.

Would I have said what Keane said in his position? No chance but everyone is entitled to an opinion

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He's got that flawed genius that so many greats have. Gazza, Tiger Woods, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Mike Tyson etc......... Has a major chip on his shoulder. It was that chip on his shoulder that made him the absolute beast warrior winner he was, and that chip on his shoulder that stops him from being a good manager or winning a popularity contest. .

Gazza isn’t even in the same league as the guys you mentioned. They were born winners and won everything they could in their sport. Gazza won nothing.

acnumber9

You think that the 14 years post Keane have been more successful than the 12 years we had him ?

Whatever makes you happy.
It depends on when you consider a period to end but from 2006 to 2011 we were more successful than we’d ever been before. Something happened 6 years ago to make us less successful and it was nothing to do with Keane.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Why would one of the clubs greatest ever players, Roy Keane, suddenly become dead to you because of a few choice words in the media? Same applies to Neville and Scholes or any other ex-United great who chooses to talk shite after their playing careers.

Their playing careers and punditry careers are entirely separate and should be treated as such.
Sensible post alert !

SER19

Did he have his favorites? Absolutely

Do other managers share some of his traits? Yes

Are we talking about other managers here? No

Should Fergie get a pass for treating people like sh1t? Probably not, certainly not from those players themselves.

Would I have said what Keane said in his position? No chance but everyone is entitled to an opinion
Right but the video isn't explicitly dealing with that. It's Keane shitting on about not having any interest in contacting the man who signed him,made him captain of the biggest club in England, and showed him the door after he was long past his best and frankly took it too far through a public medium about teammates, after the man nearly died of a brain haemorrhage. Because he wants an apology. In my opinion, he's talking absolute shite. And almost every where he's been he leaves a trail of similar shite with other personalities. If I could take any player at their best back at United it would be Keane, but his Ferguson grudge is mind bogglingly pathetic.

Saw van nistelrooy speak about how he called Ferguson years later to clear the air and how they have a great relationship now
Struck as an incredibly mature well adjusted adult.

And stripped to bare bones Ferguson wins any argument every single time by virtue of results. Results results results. He was a phenomenon, as close to exempt from criticism as one can be in sports.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Loved him as a player but don't care for him off the pitch. His comments on Walters were disgusting. Sir Alex nearly died last year and he still doesn't have a good word to say about him. Did he even reach out to wish him well when the rest of the football world did?Says it all.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
He's not "dead to me", I'd never say anything as dramatic as that - particularly about a footballer.

I just pay very little attention to what he has to say these days - he's always been a moany prick but he's reached parody levels now and it's not worth listening to someone in that stage.

Reactions: Ødegaard

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Right but the video isn't explicitly dealing with that. It's Keane shitting on about not having any interest in contacting the man who signed him,made him captain of the biggest club in England, and showed him the door after he was long past his best and frankly took it too far through a public medium about teammates, after the man nearly died of a brain haemorrhage. Because he wants an apology. In my opinion, he's talking absolute shite. And almost every where he's been he leaves a trail of similar shite with other personalities. If I could take any player at their best back at United it would be Keane, but his Ferguson grudge is mind bogglingly pathetic.

Saw van nistelrooy speak about how he called Ferguson years later to clear the air and how they have a great relationship now
Struck as an incredibly mature well adjusted adult.

And stripped to bare bones Ferguson wins any argument every single time by virtue of results. Results results results. He was a phenomenon, as close to exempt from criticism as one can be in sports.
I can summarise the above in one photo.

The man on the left is one of the greatest cricket captains of all time. led a near invincible Australian side to a world record win of tests on the trot and he's in awe.

Fergie isn't just the greatest manager in the history of football, he's up there as the greatest manager in the history of all sports.

Alemar

Of course not. Imagine Keane instead of Matic in the current squad.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
If it went through his head but still spit his venom then it's even worse.
I actually think he's trying to stop himself from saying he did want to talk to him, but he's not willing to admit that. I think the fact that he keeps harping on about it all these years tells me he cares quite a bit, not just about the club, but about the man and what they achieved together. The ridiculous thing is, if he reached out and said, "lets talk about it", he'd probably get his apology.

What Roy can't understand is that the club moved on. Fergie did what he always did and did what was best for the club and his team. That saying that no player is bigger than the club is exactly the authority Fergie exercised here.

RC89

People hate Gary Neville for a lot less than this for things he says on Sky Sports. I wonder if this applies for Keane or if people have different standards.

The point about his son is factually correct. The point about us pulling the loanees from Preston was also factually correct.

Gary is expressing his opinion and it seems biased in favour of some and incredibly biased against others.

Of course when Roy is expressing his opinion on things it's up for debate but there's no reason he should be "dead" to us for the above quote.

Idxomer

Just think about it, who else besides him would talk about SAF for 25 minutes and pretty much fails to say one good word about him?!

Kevin Keegan himself would probably find a good thing or two to say about Ferguson.

RC89

Keane seems to be the only one who can’t let it go.
Maybe because it was at his expense? Maybe because he's the one that was wrongly treated? Maybe Fergie can let it go because he knows he did mistreat Roy?

I'm not saying Fergie did btw, we'll likely never know. But seeing as we don't, if what Roy is saying is true, I can see why he wouldn't let it go. And if what Roy's saying is true, why wouldn't Fergie let it go? There's nothing for him to not let go of...

SER19

I can summarise the above in one photo.

The man on the left is one of the greatest cricket captains of all time. led a near invincible Australian side to a world record win of tests on the trot and he's in awe.

Fergie isn't just the greatest manager in the history of football, he's up there as the greatest manager in the history of all sports.
Its only been 6 years and there's a mythical quality to him. The last of a certain breed, a complete titan of the Game, legend of the club. Giggling brown nosers laughing along after Keane dismisses a question about his health are typical of a useless breed of fan.