Roy Keane

Falcow

Keane himself has said on numerous occasions that that game was far from his best game for united. The goal, the yellow card, knowing he would miss the final and carrying on regardless, it has become a bit mythical especially after Fergie's commentary about it in his first book.

That game might just be my favourite ever united game, watched it in a pub with my brother, mostly Abu's in the there, we went absolutely mental needless to say.

I was probably too pissed/emotional to properly assess his performance that night and not sure if I ever saw the full game again afterwards.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
What fecking nonsense that article is. Keane was immense that night a proper captains performance. Don't get me wrong it was a great team performance from United Keane wasn't the only great player out there but his performance was the one that inspired us to victory. Too many people trying to re-write history especially ours. I've noticed it a lot lately.
Its bizarre but sums up the modern football way of looking at things. No emotion, it's all about stats

I look forward to the Eric Cantona wasnt a United legend as he only played for us for 5 years article.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
What the feck was that.

What did Steven fecking Gerrard do in the 2005 CL final apart from score and win a penalty. The first half he was non existent and the last 30 mins he was one of the 11 Liverpool players parking the bus.
Had me laughing my arse off. Their favourable comparison game was one where the captain's team was pissed on for 120 minutes with a 6 minute spell where they scored from all their shots.

Stacks

Its bizarre but sums up the modern football way of looking at things. No emotion, it's all about stats

I look forward to the Eric Cantona wasnt a United legend as he only played for us for 5 years article.
People on here suggest Cristiano isn't a united legend in another thread and he played 100 games more than Cantona. I believe it's because he did well at Madrid

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I've been listening to an (old-ish) podcast called Roy Keane Versus ... it's a nice little deep dive into Roy Keane, who the host reckons is the most fascinating character to come out of modern day football, and honestly I find it hard to disagree with him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There's an awful lot of these 'Think something was good? Actually, it was crap' sports articles about lately. They must be struggling for content.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's an awful lot of these 'Think something was good? Actually, it was crap' sports articles about lately. They must be struggling for content.
Just you wait until my "Think SteveJ was funny in 2019" thread.

Toblerone92

Strong personalities like SAF and Keane are always going to clash. For the majority of Keane's career they worked incredibly well together, winning every trophy going, and he has every right to be aggrieved at the way he was released, and as none of us were there all we can do is speculate at who was right or wrong.

All this 'is Roy Keane dead to you' nonsense is utterly pathetic. How can our greatest ever captain and leader be 'dead to you' after what he did for the club? What right do any of us to write him off after he fell out with the manager? I fail to see how the manner in which he speaks out now about incidents that occurred during his playing days - which every ex-player seems to do these days, be it on-air or in a book - has any bearing on his legacy whatsoever. Be grateful he ever played for us and keep these asinine threads off the forum.

Maticmaker

No, of course not, Keane was an important player for United one of our all time greats, despite his remarks nowadays; most of which are with hindsight, controversial (so he can get a gig on the TV) and tell us nothing we didn't already know, in particular that he is still pi**ed off with SAF.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
You are unquestionably correct but I’d widen the scope even further and say that attitude is prevalent across popular culture too these days:

• ‘Did you find <insert famous comedian> funny in the ‘00s? Here’s why you shouldn’t’
• ‘Why were Hollywood stars in the ‘90s always skinny and why this was accepted’
• ‘10 Reasons Why Friends Was Homophobic’

Applying social standards of today to events that went on 5, 10 and 20 years ago is ridiculous. It’s beyond tedious but there seems to be a market for this anti-nostalgia, ‘The bad old days‘ rhetoric right now.

youngrell

err what :lol: he dispossessed Davids 4 or 5 times in that game (caught him with a challenge early on mind) , side-stepped Davids press with quick passes and the one time Davids pressured Keane enough to nearly take the ball Keane beat him with a sliding tackle. It's not nostalgia, it's on the highlights video on youtube.
My very first thought when reading that load of BS.

I clearly remember the incredible pressure Davids tried to put on the ball and how masterfully Keane dealt with it by using one touch passing to bypass it almost every time. Davids had some minor success early on but Keane adjusted perfectly.

youngrell

Keane himself has said on numerous occasions that that game was far from his best game for united. The goal, the yellow card, knowing he would miss the final and carrying on regardless, it has become a bit mythical especially after Fergie's commentary about it in his first book.

That game might just be my favourite ever united game, watched it in a pub with my brother, mostly Abu's in the there, we went absolutely mental needless to say.

I was probably too pissed/emotional to properly assess his performance that night and not sure if I ever saw the full game again afterwards.
I think Keane was just annoyed that it has been singled out when he sees himself as a player who gave his all in every single game. And he's right that he may have played better in another game or two, but it was also the significance of the occassion and opponents that elevates this performance.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
AN said:
Just you wait until my "Think SteveJ was funny in 2019" thread.
'You won't believe how rubbish he is now! Or perhaps you will...'

My favourite is the Guardian's I Haven't Seen *insert big-name film* series of articles.

Mr. Christian

"Is Roy Keane dead to you?"

No, as a rational adult people can say things that I may not agree with without them "dying" to me.

Keane is the most important player of the most successful era in our history in my opinion. I also agree with a lot of what he says, whilst disagreeing with some things.

The hysteria of this thread title, in my opinion is pathetic, but an apt portrayal of the modern day supporter.
Hit the nail on the head.

Irwin99

My very first thought when reading that load of BS.

I clearly remember the incredible pressure Davids tried to put on the ball and how masterfully Keane dealt with it by using one touch passing to bypass it almost every time. Davids had some minor success early on but Keane adjusted perfectly.
Yeah, Davids clearly won the first game at OT where Keane admitted after the match that he'd been too concerned with getting close to Zidane and didn't get close enough to Davids but this was a no contest, Keane clearly got the better of him in Turin in that battle.

Gibb11

Yeah this is absolutely correct in my opinion I re watched the whole game a couple of years back, now my memory is now slipping from then! But for me no way was he our best player that game, that has to be given to the strikers either york and Cole who were causing them problems and I think beckham was excellent that game but my memory from his performance my be wrong. Keane was about a 7 or an 8 and honestly that's generous, I have nothing against him or anything as he's such a legend but he's had much better games than that.

Luke1995

We can only speculate but what would have happened if Keane won the war with Fergie and remained at the club ?

simplyared

No, he's a true legend. As far as Roy Keane goes, SAF owes him for his contribution on the field, on the training ground and in the dressing room. As a pundit he's old school but creates a good balance with Neville, Carragher Souness etc. Love to see him in the studio with Shearer and see what they would have to say to each other. That would be entertainment!

Nikelesh Reddy

Nah,I just love watching his videos these days,he’s got an incredible sense of humour!Loved him as a player and will always respect him for what he did for this club,despite his running fued with SAF....

Falcow

Yeah this is absolutely correct in my opinion I re watched the whole game a couple of years back, now my memory is now slipping from then! But for me no way was he our best player that game, that has to be given to the strikers either york and Cole who were causing them problems and I think beckham was excellent that game but my memory from his performance my be wrong. Keane was about a 7 or an 8 and honestly that's generous, I have nothing against him or anything as he's such a legend but he's had much better games than that.
I think it has become almost sacrilegious at this stage to say he was anything other than 10/10 in that game. He should be commended for not dropping the head after the yellow card but just because he got booked doesnt make the rest of his performance better.

As usual with Keane he gave his all and as he would say himself that is the very minimum you should give as a professional footballer.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Roy Keane can do no wrong in my eyes. He is what he is... always honest even if I don't agree. Though I do most times.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
People on here suggest Cristiano isn't a united legend in another thread and he played 100 games more than Cantona. I believe it's because he did well at Madrid
People also say Rooney is a border line legend because he asked to leave a sinking ship.

People also say Ryan Giggs didn't fulfill his potential mainly because he banged his brother's wife.

Lots of people talk absolute shit.

OrcaFat

Keane lives by his own code of morality which is slightly out of kilter with the norm.

He seems to live without regret, at peace with his actions.

I still think of him as a warrior with the most developed sense of pride and honour out of any man ever to play the game.

Still, it is hard to imagine getting along with him as a man, it would be mega stressful.

In any case he’ll never ever ever be dead to me, no way. He was the frickin nuts.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
But he ended Haaland's career...
aye, that myth (I get you know the story)

Halland had a problem with his left knee, Keane tackled his right leg. Halland didn't pickup any new injury in the game. Played serveral more times till he had to retire due to the issue with his left knee. After Keane's book and Halland's subsequent legal action, all legal action was dropped when these gems were unearthed from Halland's own website:

"Håland and Manchester City stated that they intended to take legal action against Keane. However, it emerged that Håland had stated on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that it did not receive a knock in the game to his left leg (Keane went for his right leg), and that Keane did not cause his injury. Legal action was dropped in February 2003 after the club reviewed the medical advice. "

arthurka

aye, that myth (I get you know the story)

Halland had a problem with his left knee, Keane tackled his right leg. Halland didn't pickup any new injury in the game. Played serveral more times till he had to retire due to the issue with his left knee. After Keane's book and Halland's subsequent legal action, all legal action was dropped when these gems were unearthed from Halland's own website:

"Håland and Manchester City stated that they intended to take legal action against Keane. However, it emerged that Håland had stated on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that it did not receive a knock in the game to his left leg (Keane went for his right leg), and that Keane did not cause his injury. Legal action was dropped in February 2003 after the club reviewed the medical advice. "
But but but he ended his career apparently.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
He still doesn't understand blasting club players on their own TV station was not okay.
Keanes magic was wavering so he gave fergie the perfect opportunity to move him on and fergie will always protect the younger. If Keane had said what he did on mutv behind closed doors to the players perhaps he'd have been at United longer but unfortunately he mouthed off. I love him as a player the mans our greatest captain but I'll always stand with fergie.

MAME DIOUF 32

His spiky character is part of what made him the player he was. There's a lot I don't agree with him on but he's one of the best players of my lifetime and he did everything he could for the club on the pitch.

patty123

The thing you have to remember about Roy, he's from The Rebel County and trust me, they breed them differently down there. Remember an old footie coach telling us a story when both were part of the Irish national team, how Roy roomed, ate and went out on his own while up in Dublin as he couldn't stand the company of others , oh did I mention Roy was 15 then.

Roy was set in his own ways from an early age and couldn't give a damn what people thought and still doesn't and to be honest, respect him for not changing to suit the narrative of others .

stevoc

Keanes magic was wavering so he gave fergie the perfect opportunity to move him on and fergie will always protect the younger. If Keane had said what he did on mutv behind closed doors to the players perhaps he'd have been at United longer but unfortunately he mouthed off. I love him as a player the mans our greatest captain but I'll always stand with fergie.
I think it’s still a common misconception that Roy left the club solely because of the infamous MUTV interview. He sat in the managers office with the whole squad while the video was played bar VDS no one had a real problem with anything he’d said.

The reason he was basically sacked was because during this meeting he got into an argument with Queiroz and Ferguson in which he questioned Ferguson’s judgement and commitment to the club. That’s why he left, it’s in Roy’s and Ferguson’s books. Both have very similar accounts (to a point) of what happened.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I think it’s still a common misconception that Roy left the club solely because of the infamous MUTV interview. He sat in the managers office with the whole squad while the video was played bar VDS no one had a real problem with anything he’d said.

The reason he was basically sacked was because during this meeting he got into an argument with Queiroz and Ferguson in which he questioned Ferguson’s judgement and commitment to the club. That’s why he left, it’s in Roy’s and Ferguson’s books. Both have very similar accounts (to a point) of what happened.
I've read fergie book but it's been a long time. Still keane falling out with fergie gave him the excuse to get rid in my eye's.

stevoc

I've read fergie book but it's been a long time. Still keane falling out with fergie gave him the excuse to get rid in my eye's.
Yeah i think he was going at the end of that season either way. Though i believe both parties would have preferred if it had been a more amicable separation.