Roy Keane

Yagami

Good post resistant
Keane being average or poor on the ball has to be one of the worst footballing myths that gets peddled about sometimes.
100%. It saddens me that some of our own fans hold this opinion on Roy. They need to watch your excellent videos on him.

Red00012

Michas laugh is very infectious, i think thats why he gets away with it. You cant help laugh along
The very opposite of this post actually . It’s an awkward fake laugh . He spends the whole afternoon laughing . He adds nothing to anything

Red00012

Most definitely with all the top clubs fighting over him. His transfer thread would be amusing though, I bet we’d get lots of people who’d never watched him properly saying he isn’t good enough on the ball!
I reckon the people who say that are in their early 20’s and never actually seen Keane play.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
If you are ever inclined to do so, try and do a video for Hatzipanagis ... the world deserves to know.
:lol: . Still, after all this time.

I'll try to, if I can find full match footage. It's ridiculously hard with him unfortunately.

100%. It saddens me that some of our own fans hold this opinion on Roy. They need to watch your excellent videos on him.
Cheers :D

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Keane scores a brace in a tightly fought 2-1 victory, to end Arsenal's 31 game unbeaten run (including a 11 game winning streak) at Highbury.

Keane consistently had the upper hand over Vieira on this encounter and the Frenchman had a rather muted performance whilst Keane was inspirational as always.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A brilliant game at Old Trafford and whilst the 4-0 thrashing we received at Camp Nou gets mentioned repeatedly, this game tends to be swept under the carpet. Barcelona had the edge in possession with Guardiola and Koeman pulling the strings but United had the better clear cut chances with Lee Sharpe and Kanchelskis running riot on the flanks.

Cruyff's dream team had the likes of Romario, Stoichkov, Guardiola, Koeman and Bakero - quite the side and they played some lovely football.

Keane's had better games individually (esp with regards to his long passing) but he more than makes up for it with the assist for Sharpe's equaliser in the 80th minute.

Edit: The game's been blocked. Will appeal but you guys have to make do with the other comps for now :lol:

Edit 2: It's up again for now.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

A brilliant game at Old Trafford and whilst the 4-0 thrashing we received at Camp Nou gets mentioned repeatedly, this game tends to be swept under the carpet. Barcelona had the edge in possession with Guardiola and Koeman pulling the strings but United had the better clear cut chances with Lee Sharpe and Kanchelskis running riot on the flanks.

Cruyff's dream team had the likes of Romario, Stoichkov, Guardiola, Koeman and Bakero - quite the side and they played some lovely football.

Keane's had better games individually (esp with regards to his long passing) but he more than makes up for it with the assist for Sharpe's equaliser in the 80th minute.
Think this was the game where Fergie put Paul Parker at CB to manage Romario? It was a cracker alright.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
What rarely gets mentioned about our 4 nil loss in Barcelona was that it was during the period when teams could only play 4 foreign players. A definite disadvantage for us.
Regarding Keane in my opinion he is still the best midfielder I have seen. The ultimate team player.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Think this was the game where Fergie put Paul Parker at CB to manage Romario? It was a cracker alright.
That was the game indeed.

The video is up again, but there's a chance that it could get blocked again though, so try and watch it before that :lol:

Hoof the ball

Keane was so good at passing between lines. He did it so often. He could always find the feet of a striker, even in a crowded midfield. That's what some fans don't remember about him. We built attacks so quickly because he didn't waste a single moment with the ball. If there was an inch to pass it hard and low through the centre, he'd take it. His incisiveness was great.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Keane was so good at passing between lines. He did it so often. He could always find the feet of a striker, even in a crowded midfield. That's what some fans don't remember about him. We built attacks so quickly because he didn't waste a single moment with the ball. If there was an inch to pass it hard and low through the centre, he'd take it. His incisiveness was great.
Fergie always said to the players if you are in a situation and you don't know what to do give it to Roy he will keep the ball if you can't.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was excellent at it.

It's a shame younger fans of football today think of Keane as a thug on the field and don't realize he was fantastic.

big rons sovereign

He was excellent at it.

It's a shame younger fans of football today think of Keane as a thug on the field and don't realize he was fantastic.
I suspect the same goes for souness, the man's a total bellend but was a superb midfielder in his day. Martin O'Neil was too but with less of the bellendery.

Foxbatt

What rarely gets mentioned about our 4 nil loss in Barcelona was that it was during the period when teams could only play 4 foreign players. A definite disadvantage for us.
Regarding Keane in my opinion he is still the best midfielder I have seen. The ultimate team player.
Irish players were considered as foreigners too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was excellent at it.

Yeah it's unbelievable how history is rewritten when it comes to Keane. Just few days back saw some post saying "if you love likes of Keane then Messi isn't for you" or something close to that saying Keane wins with drive and determination. All these backhanded compliments are hilarious considering players who played with him more often than not choose Keane as the best player they played with and always praise his passing.

poleglass red

I suspect the same goes for souness, the man's a total bellend but was a superb midfielder in his day. Martin O'Neil was too but with less of the bellendery.
Souness was absolute top class, he could be dirty at times too, very dirty, but a terrific player. It's a pity he's now seen as the panto villain by us Utd fans, but that's his own doing. He's not exactly loved by Liverpool fans either due to his infamous interview with a rag newspaper.

big rons sovereign

Souness was absolute top class, he could be dirty at times too, very dirty, but a terrific player. It's a pity he's now seen as the panto villain by us Utd fans, but that's his own doing. He's not exactly loved by Liverpool fans either due to his infamous interview with a rag newspaper.
Oh yeah, he's way up there in the bellend leader board. Not quite trump levels but definitely first division.

SlimDizzle075

Spot on, the way he received the ball, picked up his head and delivered a worm burner directly on someones instep was so fluid it was like all one motion. decision was made, pass on the way. He wasn't a flashy player with tricky dribbles, and audacity. He was intelligent, clinical, decisive on the ball. he played responsibly, never gave the ball away cheaply. stuff like that was religion to him, IMO Roy was a perfect CM. Didn't mind doing the dirty work, running the hard yards without the ball, constantly jawing and communicating. directing traffic. Brilliant player. Nutter, complete nutter. if anyone got carried away in a tackle against one of our boys, they knew what was coming too. seriously he was the perfect CM, he and scholsey together were brilliant

yan man utd

If you are ever inclined to do so, try and do a video for Hatzipanagis ... the world deserves to know.
what a player. His positioning and influence is glorious to watch. How we need a player like him now. Bosses it

let’s not ignore the technical ability and all round ability that has since never been seen

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Spot on, the way he received the ball, picked up his head and delivered a worm burner directly on someones instep was so fluid it was like all one motion. decision was made, pass on the way. He wasn't a flashy player with tricky dribbles, and audacity. He was intelligent, clinical, decisive on the ball. he played responsibly, never gave the ball away cheaply. stuff like that was religion to him, IMO Roy was a perfect CM. Didn't mind doing the dirty work, running the hard yards without the ball, constantly jawing and communicating. directing traffic. Brilliant player. Nutter, complete nutter. if anyone got carried away in a tackle against one of our boys, they knew what was coming too. seriously he was the perfect CM, he and scholsey together were brilliant
And he pretty much always played in a midfield 2 with huge amounts of space to cover.

Imagine how much easier he'd find it in this age, where you typically have 2 buddies in there.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Keane scores a brace in a tightly fought 2-1 victory, to end Arsenal's 31 game unbeaten run (including a 11 game winning streak) at Highbury.

Keane consistently had the upper hand over Vieira on this encounter and the Frenchman had a rather muted performance whilst Keane was inspirational as always.

The return fixture of this game at Old Trafford. Vieira and Petit were brilliant, esp in the opening exchanges, and United struggled to get going initially. Mind you, we hadn't played a Premier League game for exactly a month (due to the club world cup at Brazil).

Once Keane got going, he more or less drove United on, playing a key role in the equalizer with a delightful pass and showing off some jaw dropping moments of defensive brilliance (my favorite being the long busting run to make a great challenge and then following it up with a potentially goal saving block @2.45 :drool: )

Last edited:

Green_Red

And rarely lost the ball with a misplaced pass either. Brave with his passing but clinical too.

Irwin99

The return fixture of this game at Old Trafford. Vieira and Petit were brilliant, esp in the opening exchanges, and United struggled to get going initially. Mind you, we hadn't played a Premier League game for exactly a month (due to the club world cup at Brazil).

Once Keane got going, he more or less drove United on, playing a key role in the equalizer with a delightful pass and showing off some jaw dropping moments of defensive brilliance (my favorite being the long busting run to make a great challenge and then following it up with a potentially goal saving block @2.45 :drool: )
Love the tackle on Lee Dixon :lol:

Honestly think we would have lost that game if it wasn't for him driving us on and dragging us to get the point.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Love the tackle on Lee Dixon :lol:

Honestly think we would have lost that game if it wasn't for him driving us on and dragging us to get the point.
Agreed, really grew into the game and it was an intriguing battle in the centre of the pitch with Vieira having a great game too.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A brilliant display from Keane as he provides 2 splendid assists - the first an incisive slide rule pass and the second, a lovely cross that Beckham would have been proud of.

United were a goal down and looked short on ideas, with Sir Alex Ferguson being sent off to the stands but Keane and his exceptional passing were very much the difference here.

He should have very well have had a hattrick of assists mind you, with Ruud missing a gilt edged opportunity (he'd go on to make up for it though).

Champagne Football

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/fo...roy-keane-was-impossible-to-replace-1.1073739

A good article. Alan Smith was talking about his time at Utd and had nice things to say about Keano.

“Roy Keane is probably impossible to replace as a player and as a character, especially at Manchester United,” said Smith. “I still don’t think it’s been done now and it’s been crying out for someone like Roy Keane to be in the dressing room and on the field as Roy was. No-one could ever replicate it, so it was [about me] trying to do as good a job in a similar position. It wasn’t like, ‘you’re going to be a Roy Keane’. I could never do that job. It was a case of trying to learn and trying to understand the position that you’re playing in and do it to the best of your ability as a replacement for one of the best midfield players there has ever been.'

'A lot of people forget and they don’t have a broad spectrum on actually the development of Roy as a player and how he evolved as a player through necessity, through injuries et cetera.'

“You could ask any player that’s played with him or against him and I’d say 99 per cent of them would all have the same answer for you. For me, it’s not just a case of Roy being a leader. That’s so disrespectful to him as a footballer as well. You don’t play for Manchester United and captain them based on just being a leader. That’s such an unfair criticism of someone who’s probably been one of the Premier League’s greatest central midfield players.”

dave1956

I think many fans forget Roy's formative footballing years, where his football skills were developed and also his leadership skills, he had one of the best teachers in English football Brian Clough. This was a player and manager who led by example and those traits were taken up by the player who later became one of the best team captains the club produced not number 1 but in the top 5.

cyril C

I suppose this go in pair. Some players were much better with their feet, than their tongue.

Leanshig

Keane is the first person they should build a statue for, but it's never gonna happen. Expect Nicky Butt or Phil Neville to get one before him.