Roy Keane

SirAF

Ageist

Klopp hears a snippet of what Keane says, gets on his high horse, has a smug rant and thinks if I try and make a United legend look a dick this’ll make the Vermin fans love me even more than when I wore my Beatles T-shirt...when really he sounded like a spoilt little kid and Keane remained calm and brushed it off. He’s such a look-at-me dickhead...so zany. Sensitive prick.
This

georgipep

I agree, but It’s the way Klopp answers which is interesting. Instead of holdning a 30 sec monolog he could simply asked Keane what he ment and stayed calm. He for sure has a very arrogant and strange behaviour
He doesn't want to know what Keane meant. He wants to protect his players. You can be 100% he doesn't care what Keane thinks or says.

POF

What Klopp did is exactly what Ferguson used to do. He protected his players. They do not need the media scrutiny. All mistakes and sloppiness will be dealt with on the training field. In front of the cameras, the players did amazing and respect must be paid to the opposition.

No bubble, no arse licking. Plus pundits make stupid comments like they expect a team to win a game without giving the opponent a single chance. That's ridiculous.
Absolutely not. United never had a "how dare you criticise us" attitude.

Fergie would defend an individual player against personal attacks but he would often publicly bemoan a collective sloppiness of his players if it warranted it in order to keep standards up.

If anyone should know that it's Keane who did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons.

In fact, Keane's punditry is highly influenced by how he spoke in public about himself or his own team throughout his career.

lsd

The Oracle
I agree, but It’s the way Klopp answers which is interesting. Instead of holdning a 30 sec monolog he could simply asked Keane what he ment and stayed calm. He for sure has a very arrogant and strange behaviour

He takes over the interview so no one can ask him anything he doesn't want to be asked. That's really all he is doing just picking a minor thing to make a big deal off then he walks off job done

arthurka

Gary is outspeaking and often cause controversy but I don't find him offending, whether you agree with his comment every time or not, because he speaks with careful analysis half of the time, sometime with too much passion immediately post-event. Carragher and Lineker with less analytical content but not so offending.

Keane speaks without going through his head, or he might be doing this intentionally. Most of his comment were just personal, intentional hurting, no analytics and offer no value apart from shooting yourself in the head. The other so-called Liverpool legend is just about as bad, just don't want to put too many names here.
I think he cannot be intentionally hurting if he doesn´t give it one thought can he? I think Keano isn´t being intentionally hurting or biased towards anything he just speaks from his point of view and of course normally not worrying what other people have to say about it.

redmanc

I think this looks worse on Klopp than Keane, yes his team won by a fairly convincing score in the end however they were not exactly solid either so sloppy statements could probably stick. Klopp is getting all emotional and up himself on national TV having heard 1% of a sentence from Keane, sure the scousers are lapping it up but he came across as a moron to me.

georgipep

Absolutely not. United never had a "how dare you criticise us" attitude.

Fergie would defend an individual player against personal attacks but he would often publicly bemoan a collective sloppiness of his players if it warranted it in order to keep standards up.

If anyone should know that it's Keane who did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons.

In fact, Keane's punditry is highly influenced by how he spoke in public about himself or his own team throughout his career.
I have a different recollection of events but do not really want to spend the day digging old news articles to prove a pointless argument.

I do not see any difference between Klopp's attitude and reaction and our very own SAF's approach towards media criticizing our players.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think I can understand what these managers feel. The pundit can always choose the winning/right side to be on and criticize. Pundit can stick the knife in all they want, but they hold no responsibilities whatsoever. Can simply move away to next victim, if they're ever proven wrong.

Mourinho, Bilic... (who has more interest in getting back into coaching) doing punditry, you can see he is more respectful toward other managers than these pure punditry who live or die for these gig.

I am all in for Klopp being called out for his cringe passun act. However, these pundits are taking it from the wrong angle which put off reasonable fans.
All Keane said was that Liverpool were sloppy at times while praising the shit out of them, he hardy had a go at klopp or call him crap

ti vu

All Keane said was that Liverpool were sloppy at times while praising the shit out of them, he hardy had a go at klopp or call him crap
I am not into this specific case about who is right who is wrong. I am talking generally about how managers can be defensive toward any small hint of criticism, in a response to another poster.

SuperiorXI

Annihilated Keane? Shat it? feck me.

Klopp hears a snippet of what Keane says, gets on his high horse, has a smug rant and thinks if I try and make a United legend look a dick this’ll make the Vermin fans love me even more than when I wore my Beatles T-shirt...when really he sounded like a spoilt little kid and Keane remained calm and brushed it off. He’s such a look-at-me dickhead...so zany. Sensitive prick.
This, so much hyperbole around this nothing event... people calling it box office feck me.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I am not into this specific case about who is right who is wrong. I am talking generally about how managers can be defensive toward any small hint of criticism, in a response to another poster.
Fair enough, I think klopp always comes across passive agressive if he doesn’t like something, quite a childish trait. Nothing to do with him defending his players

POF

I have a different recollection of events but do not really want to spend the day digging old news articles to prove a pointless argument.

I do not see any difference between Klopp's attitude and reaction and our very own SAF's approach towards media criticizing our players.
I don't want you to either!

But, the difference with Ferguson is if the media criticise Cantona, Ronaldo, Veron or De Gea, etc he would defend them to the hilt. But that's because it's against an individual player.

If Andy Gray had said their defending was sloppy he wouldn't go on a rant like that. He might agree or disagree but most likely he wouldn't give a shit.

Probably would be if Ole reacted to something carragher said in a similar fashion to be fair. Just everyone already knows klopp is ok to act like this because he’s eccentric and got passion
I don’t think Klopp reacted in any particularly bad way. He got the wrong end of the stick and defended his team after a good performance.

See nothing of note whether it’s Klopp or whether it would be anyone else.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'm a die hard united fan, and it was amusing watching Klopp show even the merest hint of a crack in his cool persona. He was right about his teams performance though, they were at it from the first minute and forced mistake after mistake from Arsenal who looked scared to death at times. Great performance, with small elements of sloppy slipped in :)

RashyForPM

Keane could not give a shit, having watched the interview :lol: He just repeated his whole thing, including them being sloppy contrary to what Klopp what saying, and told him to rewatch the programme, to which Klopp said he would. Just two men sorting out a misunderstanding. If Fergie couldn’t intimidate Keano, Klopp hasn’t a chance.

Also, annihilated? Seriously?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I really wonder why Bilic wants to be coach? Is it simply the money? He is a graduate of Law School, speaks a few languages and also played in a rock band.
In order to be a manager you have to be football obsessed. Managers don't go home after training and turn on Bake-Off and relax.

Murray3007

what keane said was bang on, they were sloppy in the defending, arsenal were threw a good few times, they have been the same all season, klopp comes across as extremely fake to me, if they win he usually talks about how well the other teams tactic were and if they lose then the other teams tactics were not good, like seriously what does he want all teams to play a way that suits playing Liverpool?

littleman

Seems like some of our posters think of themselves as football connoisseurs, not a mere “brute” like Keane. Hahaha armchair little shits

I think the description was apt, but there wasn’t any additional tactical insight.

Varun

Staff
I'm a die hard united fan, and it was amusing watching Klopp show even the merest hint of a crack in his cool persona. He was right about his teams performance though, they were at it from the first minute and forced mistake after mistake from Arsenal who looked scared to death at times. Great performance, with small elements of sloppy slipped in :)
Klopp and cool? He's as cool as a virgin in a brothel

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I think Stroppy Klopp’s understanding of what Keane said was sloppy.

Last edited:

Anustart89

Did I hear Klopp saying that NOTHING was sloppy in that game? Maybe he took off his glasses for Robertson’s clearance to Lacazette :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Was dissapointment Keane backed down. He ain't that type of guy.

He didn't back down as he was never really criticising them in the first place . He was more bemused by Klopp's reaction than anything

0le

Keane has been complimentary of Liverpool by and large and when he sees good football he will say it how it is. It was a pretty embarrassing rant from Klopp.

crossy1686

career ending
Was dissapointment Keane backed down. He ain't that type of guy.
He didn't. He literally told him he misheard him and that he said they were sloppy in parts and he should watch the comment back. Klopp decided to focus on that and other than tell him he's a cnut Keane couldn't say much more on TV.

RooneyLegend

He didn't. He literally told him he misheard him and that he said they were sloppy in parts and he should watch the comment back. Klopp decided to focus on that and other than tell him he's a cnut Keane couldn't say much more on TV.
Which Klopp reacted by saying there was nothing sloppy about the performance. Which Keane didn't then back up his sloppy in parts statement. He backed down.

crossy1686

career ending
Which Klopp reacted by saying there was nothing sloppy about the performance. Which Keane didn't then back up his sloppy in parts statement. He backed down.
What should he have done at that point? Ripped his shirt off? Escalated the situation further? Not entirely sure where you wanted Keane to go with someone who is clearly living in a mental place.