Roy Keane

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Keane is a person I liked when he played for United.

Off the pitch as a manager or a pundit - never felt he was all that accurate or right.

It's one of those things "Keane said this!!!" - soon as I heard that name I already dont care by a good 75%.

Just like Ole - on the pitch great, anything outside that, I'd shake his hand and just about say Goodbye.

poleglass red

I find traits such as determination and drive that people use to excel in the workplace can make them somewhat difficult in real life. Keane and Fergie both had ability first and foremost but also an incredible determination. Some of the criticisms both men have used over the years is petty and silly at times re other people. I've even seen it in people I know who are super successful in the business world but can be somewhat cold to people outside of it. I'm with Keane on the Maguire criticism by the way.A glimpse of the mind set was evident when Gabby Agbonlahor stuck up for Maguire on talk sport. He rambled on how good he was last yr, and how good a euros he had. You can imagine if he played with Maguire, he'd probably say nothing to him re his current form. You can imagine Roy giving him a bollicking. Ability isn't everything but you can see why one was a decent player and one was a great. Ability only gets you so far.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I'm a massive Keano fan but there was plenty of nonsense with him. He's not your classic leader away from the pitch.

There's loads of examples but leaving the Ireland camp, getting arrested, the way he left United, silly sending offs, getting into fights off field, complaining about pre season conditions. I'm guessing a load of stuff we don't know about.

He's a very complicated, high maintenance guy.
Almost all of those are directly related to him wanting the very best, in order to be as competitive as possible. And his example on the pitch was as consistent as it gets.

I don’t think he is as complex as people make out. He has a dry wit and he is ultra competitive. That’s about it, I think.

matt10000

Other than getting arrested, one could argue that all the rest of those things happened because of him wanting the highest standards for his team at all times.

The majority of his ex team mates all say the same thing. He was a winner and expected everyone to be like him. That is what made him a fantastic captain, even if he has a screw or two loose somewhere.
Yes and you could say the same about SAF. Obsessed with winning

Marwood

Almost all of those are directly related to him wanting the very best, in order to be as competitive as possible. And his example on the pitch was as consistent as it gets.

I don’t think he is as complex as people make out. He has a dry wit and he is ultra competitive. That’s about it, I think.
I think we could debate forever if there was any just cause behind his actions but ultimately there's always a lot of drama around Keane. Right or wrong there just is.

As much as he likes to talk about nonnsense(and I find it all really entertaining and funny) he is a little drama queen himself. It's just covered with this tough, Irish, veneer. He's an unusual mix.

Irwin99

Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Ireland lost, thanks to a brilliant Henry goal, but Keane was one of the standout players of the night.

What was remarkable was the fact that Keane was playing in a midfield featuring A. Reid, D. Duff and K. Kilbane (fairly industrious but primarily attacking midfielders) against an imposing midfield trio of Makelele-Vieira-Zidane who'd go on to become WC finalists.
Thank you for the video. That was more of the destroyer role for Keane than the midfield metronome but even at the end of his career it was still a fantastic display against a midfield of Vieira, Makelele and Zidane. His last game for Ireland I think and an excellent performance.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thank you for the video.
Cheers.

That was more of the destroyer role for Keane than the midfield metronome but even at the end of his career it was still a fantastic display against a midfield of Vieira, Makelele and Zidane. His last game for Ireland I think and an excellent performance.
Just checked it and you are right, it was his last game for Ireland!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He was my favorite player. As a pundit, it seems he is mostly out to shock and provoke.
He’s not. He’s just very blunt and will not saying something for the sake of tv cameras.

Reminds a time when van der Vaart just called it as he saw it which threw everyone off.

Idxomer

Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Ireland lost, thanks to a brilliant Henry goal, but Keane was one of the standout players of the night.

What was remarkable was the fact that Keane was playing in a midfield featuring A. Reid, D. Duff and K. Kilbane (fairly industrious but primarily attacking midfielders) against an imposing midfield trio of Makelele-Vieira-Zidane who'd go on to become WC finalists.
The most interesting part is Keane going hard on Zidane in the 4th minute and the latter staying on his feet, no way that would happen in today's game without the player hitting the deck and Keane most likely receiving a red card.

Teja

The most interesting part is Keane going hard on Zidane in the 4th minute and the latter staying on his feet, no way that would happen in today's game without the player hitting the deck and Keane most likely receiving a red card.
I wonder if there's a graph of injuries that were a result of tackles over time to see if the refereeing actually changed anything injury wise.

kiristao

For all of you wondering what Keane meant by going in hard, he was probably talking about the way Van De Beek tackled Sarr

sugar_kane

It's going to be Keano.
nah it’ll probably play out more like the below before training on Monday

Keano: alright listen up here you little FREAKS… here’s one interim manager you’re not gonna SCREW with….

Michael Carrick!

Gazza

Shame that he says he "feels nothing" when he drives past OT. I get that it was a job to him and things soured at the end but that just sounds depressing.

lsd

The Oracle
Shame that he says he "feels nothing" when he drives past OT. I get that it was a job to him and things soured at the end but that just sounds depressing.

He said its because he feels more about the people in the dressing room with him at the time rather than just the venue itself.

You really want Keane to get emotional over a brick?

Gazza

He said its because he feels more about the people in the dressing room with him at the time rather than just the venue itself.

You really want Keane to get emotional over a brick?
:lol: Hahaha you are so defensive, I wasn't even having a go :lol: No, I don't want him to get emotional over a brick, I just said it's a shame he doesn't feel anything for a place where he helped make amazing memories. When I go past Old Trafford, I don't think "huh, that's a brick" but that's just me, you do you!

lsd

The Oracle
:lol: Hahaha you are so defensive, I wasn't even having a go :lol: No, I don't want him to get emotional over a brick, I just said it's a shame he doesn't feel anything for a place where he helped make amazing memories. When I go past Old Trafford, I don't think "huh, that's a brick" but that's just me, you do you!

I just read the interview where he explained it that's all.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder if there's a graph of injuries that were a result of tackles over time to see if the refereeing actually changed anything injury wise.
I once watched a documentary about Pele's playing days where the European nations purposely set out to injure him during the 1966 world cup tournament (and succeeded in doing so). Some of the tackles were mental, and I'm pretty sure the injuries were more frequent and serious

Chelsea 1:1 Man Utd

El Jefe

Having a full blown meltdown about Carrick in a way he never did with Ole. Today he's proved he's no different to Neville in covering up for his friend.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Keane at his worst here.

Josh 76

Roy Keane going over the top. These ex Utd players are becoming annoying pundits.

Idxomer

Having a full blown meltdown about Carrick in a way he never did with Ole. Today he's proved he's no different to Neville in covering up for his friend.
Not surprising considering Carrick is the player who replaced him after Fergie had kicked him out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Keane has never seen a problem that wasn't caused by a lack of effort, character or running. Look for any insight or nuance beyond that and he's at sea.