Roy Keane

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I appreciate people like Keane who say it how it is. I'm bored of listening to people with agendas or bias skirting around the issues or burying their head in the sand.
Did he ever say it how it was when it was evident Ole needed to get the feck out?

GMoore23

What was Keane wrong about today? I thought he was spot on
Spot on :lol: :lol: :lol:

He said Ronaldo didn't look right on the bench because he was probably very cold and that he did't come to win the league with us, just some of the cups. Carragher had him tied in knots.

Matt851

I appreciate people like Keane who say it how it is. I'm bored of listening to people with agendas or bias skirting around the issues or burying their head in the sand.
Except he didn't say it how it was when ole was there (unlike scholes), because he is his mate. Which kind of defeats the purpose of him because if he can't do that then what's the point

Brophs

The One and Only
So Keano has been playing a Chris Morris-esque long con? Smart. In that case, are we absolutely sure Richard Keys isn't a woman-hating paranoid schizophrenic?

always_hoping

Spot on :lol: :lol: :lol:

He said Ronaldo didn't look right on the bench because he was probably very cold and that he did't come to win the league with us, just some of the cups. Carragher had him tied in knots.
Tied in knots? Keanes point is that this current United team especially defensively has too many issues to be expected to win a league title the signing of Ronaldo doesn't change that.

The form of Maguire and Shaw has gone down the pan this season, Wan Bissaka so inconsistent and can't rely long term on the likes of Lindelof, Bailly. Add in no quality defensive midfielder has been brought in.

RedDevilRoshi

I couldn’t stop laughing at JFH just sitting in the middle listening to both Keane & Carragher acting like two old drunk men arguing :lol:

Withnail

My literal point, my only point is that Roy Keane probably understands football pretty bloody well but chooses not to break it down in any specific way but rather moans about "belief, work rate and toughness" or whatever because that leans into the Roy Keane caricature and grabs a bunch of attention for his employer (and continued/future employment for him).

I have not moved slightly from that, not even a single millimeter. I have said nothing else and believe it to be wholly true.

Nothing I have said has even remotely indicated anything apart from that.
Except you quite literally in your last post reduced the argument to me not believing that someone could play up to the camera. I mean come on :lol:

For clarity he's never shown any interest in discussing tactics or systems and I'm going back decades, long before Sky were filling his pockets.

rooney2009

Well yeah, Chelsea and Liverpool were utter dogshit last season as we just mentioned, hence how we somehow ended 2nd on just 74 fecking points. Oh, and despite Chelsea and Liverpool being wank, we took 3 points in total from our 4 games against them. So far we have 1 from 2 so not far off.

As I also said before we are likely in my opinion to end up on a similar points total to last year.
I’ll take 74 points right now
We had 3 draws against Chelsea and Liverpool and we also beat Man City but it seems we are not even at that level atm
I’m hoping for a better 2nd half of the season and I’m guessing the new manager will have to drop Ronaldo or Bruno and I’m guessing it will be Bruno that will get dropped mostly
We just have to find a way to play with Ronaldo
We will end up with a front 3 of Lingard,Cavani and Ronaldo to the detriment of Rashford Greenwood,Martial and Sancho
I hope we can get a couple of midfielders during the January windows
We also need need to beat Arsenal at home on Thursday to restore some confidence

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It's actually hilarious how much this place hates our former players.

:lol:
Because none of them have been objective when they’ve needed to be and because they were successful under a complete freak of nature they don’t have a good understanding of modern football and tactics and how it’s moved on.

I’ll take 74 points right now
We had 3 draws against Chelsea and Liverpool and we also beat Man City but it seems we are not even at that level atm
Our one win came late season, we still have 25 games to play this season.
We have to play them 3 more times. Let’s not make out that “this team finishing 2nd” proves anything about their quality. They got a measly 74 points and were incredibly fortunate that Chelsea and Liverpool were shite, something that was crystal clear to see from Feb-May.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
There's a bit in his first book where Keane says he looked at videos of his pre-96 or 97 performances and conceded that his passing and control of the midfield tempo wasn't up to standards so I would think that he has a better understanding of the game he professionally played.

So many on this forum and elsewhere are too quick to just dismiss him as a blood and thunder madman kind of player.

That being said, it's very him to be critical of Michael Carrick whilst standing up for Ronaldo. His disdain for the former is almost as well known as his outright admiration of the latter. :lol:

90 + 5min

It's actually hilarious how much this place hates our former players.

:lol:
Not just former players.

They hate former managers, fans, owners and they hate future players, future managers just that don't know there names right now.

RazorOz

Carragher destroyed him tbh. Keane's answers were all just pure strawman.

OverratedOpinion

Except you quite literally in your last post reduced the argument to me not believing that someone could play up to the camera. I mean come on :lol:

For clarity he's never shown any interest in discussing tactics or systems and I'm going back decades, long before Sky were filling his pockets.
Yes because you called my theory that someone is doing so a fantasy? Pretty good indicator that you don't agree with it :lol:

The idea that you think a man who played at the highest level in midfield for nearly 20 years, did his Uefa Pro license and has managed in the Premier League could not offer a tactical breakdown of a performance which you will hear on an online forum after every match is absolutely insane to me. The idea that it does not financially and professionally benifit him to lean into the Roy Keane meme is beyond obvious. I have literally no idea how you are arguing either of these points other than poorly.

SER19

People like you believe Ronaldo is bigger than the team
We came 2nd in the league last year
We have become a worse team than we were last year
This is Man Utd not Ronaldo Utd
He is 36 and does not add anything to us in big games so he should be on the bench sometimes
This thing that Ronaldo or Messi are undroppable is ridiculous and would destroy this team for a few years
:lol: talk about an agenda. I couldn't give a shit if Ronaldo starts or not. But we have 2 years of evidence that we're not better without him. Its lazy superficial analysis

Withnail

Yes because you called my theory that someone is doing so a fantasy? Pretty good indicator that you don't agree with it :lol:

The idea that you think a man who played at the highest level in midfield for nearly 20 years, did his Uefa Pro license and has managed in the Premier League could not offer a tactical breakdown of a performance which you will hear on an online forum after every match is absolutely insane to me. The idea that it does not financially and professionally benifit him to lean into the Roy Keane meme is beyond obvious. I have literally no idea how you are arguing either of these points other than poorly.
You've not read a single word I've said so we'll leave it there.

OverratedOpinion

You've not read a single word I've said so we'll leave it there.
I addressed your point specifically. You said my belief that Keane's antics of playing up to the camera were a fantasy in my head, then accused me of moving the goalposts when I reiterated that people often do that.

You have slipped and slided around a debate that was not with you to start with and then decided you are not interested in it? Very odd.

Withnail

I addressed your point specifically. You said my belief that Keane's antics of playing up to the camera were a fantasy in my head, then accused me of moving the goalposts when I reiterated that people often do that.

You have slipped and slided around a debate that was not with you to start with and then decided you are not interested in it? Very odd.
I said you hadn't read what I wrote which was a bit silly but you've repeatedly misinterpreted my posts and are reiterating something I already refuted. That's why I'm not interested.

OverratedOpinion

I said you hadn't read what I wrote which was a bit silly but you've repeatedly misinterpreted my posts and are reiterating something I already refuted. That's why I'm not interested.
I believe the opposite is true since I have made a very simple statement that you have moved around on far more than needed.

My statement -

1. It is ridiculous that anyone would believe that Roy Keane would not have a decent enough tactical understanding of the game to offer some form of tactical analysis if it benefited him to do so. For Christ sake most people who watch football every week could at least give that an effort but Keane never bothers to say a word about anything tactically.
2. It benefits him to act like a caricature who simply complains about lack of desire, fight or whatever you want to call it.

My conclusion -

1 + 2 is the reason we get what we get from him as a pundit, not because he is sat there scratching his head wondering why pressing is effective or why it is helpful for a player like Bruno if the oppositions Midfield and Defence are far apart from eachother.

Since we are having a debate you must believe 1 or 2 to be incorrect or doubt my judgement on how they make me come to the conclusion that I do. If none of that is the case then I have no idea why you responded to me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's the nonsense from United pundits that we can finish 2nd, bring Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho in and yet refuse to accept we should be in a title Battle!

Bizarre stuff from Keane today. Sort of arguing for no reason and again as much as we don't like to admit it, Carragher spot on again.
Keane and G Nev refused to admit what everyone could see, that Ole was woefully out of his depth.

MattofManchester

Bizarre stuff from Keane today. Sort of arguing for no reason and again as much as we don't like to admit it, Carragher spot on again.
Keane and G Nev refused to admit what everyone could see, that Ole was woefully out of his depth.
I largely think Keane probably thought we could win the league.
But then he looked at our midfield and realized we can't.

If I remember correctly, he loathes the players who play in midfield for us.

And of course, midfield is a large reason why we aren't getting near any major trophies atm.

Theonas

Scout
I am watching a video now where JFH and Carragher are talking about how Rangnick is a good appointment as we need a manager with a plan and how it takes time to implement synchronized pressing the way Klopp did it with Liverpool for example. Keane mumbles something about how it is nothing new and that he just has to get the players to run. Even if it is that simple, surely he doesn't think one deserves the salary these managers get just because they get players to run? that is one overpaid job!

lsd

The Oracle
Carragher destroyed him tbh. Keane's answers were all just pure strawman.
Carragher did not destroy him in any shape or form.

You ever wonder why it is that Carragher is the only pundit who consistently talks about United winning the league or how every move they make should be about winning the league?

No United fan could honestly think Ronaldo coming was going to win the league. We know we have too many faults for one player to fix.

Carragher says this to bait the likes of Keane and Neville hoping they go along with it who luckily know what he is trying to do.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Too much reading into what he says. Does it ever cross your minds that he just does this because it sells. They all need to play their part on the show to keep things interesting. It would be boring if everyone agreed.

Just look how much interest this discussion with Carragher has generated on social media.

devilo

I love keane, but he was plain wrong and carragher had him pinned in that debate between them both. Our club hierarchy sanctioned the ronaldo transfer to stop city getting him, plain and simple. I suspect they also hoped that he may have been enough to kick us on towards a title push, but he's just contributed to our difficulties if anything. I certainly don't believe that Ronaldo came here to win a cup. He has no intention of sitting on the bench either, so i think there are going to be some real problems in the coming months.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Feels manufactured, Keane is making no sense here.
It does feel manufactured. Keane giving Carrick a tough time but a free pass for Ole, Carrick has done well. I’d like to see him manage somewhere else for a while and hone his skills.

Dominos

I'm glad he pointed out the "job for the boys" mentality that's currently going on at United. Far too much nepotism, far too many sentimental appointments.

It doesn't help that Neville and co have been spouting rubbish about "the United way", "United style", "United DNA" for the last decade.

crossy1686

career ending
Because none of them have been objective when they’ve needed to be and because they were successful under a complete freak of nature they don’t have a good understanding of modern football and tactics and how it’s moved on.
You’ve got to remember that most of them probably still hold a bit of hope that they can come back to the club at some point in some sort of role. Speaking shit about the club on a regular basis won’t help matters.

James Peril

Boring stuff to be fair, about a topic that’s equally boring. Ronaldo could be tired or just not totally up for it, these guys know nothing about his state. Or he was benched for some kind of tactical setup, also not very sensational stuff.

What’s obvious is that these two guys have the voices of whiny teenagers and it’s excruciating to listen to for more than 50 seconds. Pipe down, SkySports has become a terrible watch, all about creating fake headlines.