Roy Keane

jameyzane

Mata did more when he came on than most did in the 90. Weird example to choose.
What do you mean by wierd example? Is that how a club planning for the future should behave? Bring on Mata to stretch out for 10 mins or so every other game when there's nothing to play for.

Eddy_JukeZ

Going by his recent cameos I’d say it’s the complete opposite and wondering how he’s gotten so little football in the past few seasons.

I’d say he’s more deserving of minutes than quite a number of others
Mata deserving of more minutes?

He should have been sold like 4 years ago.

The fact that he's been here for almost 10 years is simply staggering.

Pickle85

What do you mean by wierd example? Is that how a club planning for the future should behave? Bring on Mata to stretch out for 10 mins or so every other game when there's nothing to play for.
I mean it's a weird example in this instance because he was one of the better players on the pitch when he came on. Please tell me where I implied the bolded? Also, I have no idea what you mean by being bought on to stretch out? Like recline?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Where did this reputation of a heartless asshole that he's associated with come from anyway?
It was pointedly obvious for anyone who watched him in his time with us that he's kinda of snarky socially awkward guy with a dry sense of humor.

Golden Nugget

Mata deserving of more minutes?

He should have been sold like 4 years ago.

The fact that he's been here for almost 10 years is simply staggering.
Should he have been sold earlier? Yeah.

Talking about purely in the cameos this season, he’s simply been better than the other options, hence he deserves to play more. I mean out of Mata and Lingard, one passes and moves around, trying to get involved with the little time he gets; the other you barely remember that he has played.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Titles a bit over the top, but it's a decent watch this...

Will another club ever take a pint on him again?

Red00012

So alpha that even incey thought he was still playing for us and had to follow him out.

With the squad we have now I’d expect no one to follow him out.
“No Roy we can’t go out before wolves do”

RedDevilQuebecois

Titles a bit over the top, but it's a decent watch this...

Will another club ever take a pint on him again?
With the way footballers have become today, it's a real shame that most clubs expect managers to be politicians. Back in 2006-07, players from any division would follow Keane into battle and thrive with that kind of bluntness.

Tyrion

With the way footballers have become today, it's a real shame that most clubs expect managers to be politicians. Back in 2006-07, players from any division would follow Keane into battle and thrive with that kind of bluntness.
I think people only did that because he was a brilliant player. When he started to lose that, his attitude became a burden and Ferguson wouldn't tolerate it.

Keanes attitude is helpful to a point but he needs to be good enough to justify it and he hasn't managed that as a manager.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Athletic had been posting articles on Premier League's greatest individual performances and this one caught my eye — at the 10th place they've put Roy Keane's performance against Manchester City — his first ever Manchester derby. So I decided to revisit that game and made a compilation of his performance and it was a fascinating watch — to continue the ever-lasting discussion on just how good of a footballer Keano was on top of being an intimidating hard-tackling menace. On a better day he could've scored & assisted 2 or 3 goals more but a last-minute winner in a comeback that saw United 2 goals down after the first half is a decent result nonetheless.

Those are some excerpts from the article:
At that stage, United had not won at Maine Road for eight years but the first half had been 50-50 in terms of possession and chances, and Keane should have given United an early lead when released by a sharp Denis Irwin pass.

This was early-years Roy Keane: Keane, the boy from Cork with a Young Offenders bowl haircut; Keane, the fast-forward midfielder, the box-to-box runner, the scorer of goals, creator of chances. This Keane was just as likely to turn up wide and cross — as he did for Hughes in the eighth minute — as to tackle in front of the defence. In fact, when Keane delivered the opportunity for Hughes, the TV commentary declared Keane’s run as “his trademark, really”.

“I still saw myself as a goalscoring midfield player,” Keane said, “working box to box, tackling, closing people down, grafting to win the ball back. Offensively, I believed I was at my most effective running on to the ball to finish moves such as the one that produced the winning goal at Maine Road."

Waynne

Should be on standby with a baseball bat in the team dressing room this season if 10Hag fails to discipline the players.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
With the squad we have now I’d expect no one to follow him out.
“No Roy we can’t go out before wolves do”
„Roy, I feel uncomfortable and I told you before, my pronouns are him/their, I kindly ask you to use them instead of cnut“

GueRed

The Athletic had been posting articles on Premier League's greatest individual performances and this one caught my eye — at the 10th place they've put Roy Keane's performance against Manchester City — his first ever Manchester derby. So I decided to revisit that game and made a compilation of his performance and it was a fascinating watch — to continue the ever-lasting discussion on just how good of a footballer Keano was on top of being an intimidating hard-tackling menace. On a better day he could've scored & assisted 2 or 3 goals more but a last-minute winner in a comeback that saw United 2 goals down after the first half is a decent result nonetheless.

Roy Keane from 1997 - 2000 was genuine world class

Loved this Box to Box Roy Keane mind.

Ince and Keane in midfield was so unfair to the opposition.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Remember this game vividly, one of the first I saw in full when we got Sky at my parents' house. I don't recall much from that long ago but, thanks to the epic comeback, that one sticks in the memory... :devil:

Eric Edwards

Beautiful simplicity from Keane. He was all over the pitch during this game and almost always in the right place at the right time. Although Keane version 2.0 was more influential on games, this version was certainly fun to watch. The best to ever do it I believe.
The character within this team was ferocious. I remember being completely unsurprised by the comeback.
Also, can’t beat the black shorts & black socks combo.

Reactions: Sultan

GoldanoGraham

That performance at Juve in the CL semi second leg in ‘99 by Keane was colossal. His determination and pure desire would be priceless today.

It’s true that you don’t realise how good something is until it’s gone.

People saying Declan Rice worth £120m - what would prime time Keano be worth today?

If we could have one player from ‘99 to drop into our current team I’d take Keano.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That performance at Juve in the CL semi second leg in ‘99 by Keane was colossal. His determination and pure desire would be priceless today.

People saying Declan Rice worth £120m - what would prime time Keano be worth today?

If we could have one player from ‘99 to drop into our current team I’d take Keano.
that would be a really difficult call. Don't totally disagree but what I would also give for a winger like David Beckham who could not only cross the ball but actually find a guy wearing the same colour shirt as his! Not to mention corners and free kicks...

GoldanoGraham

Yes - case can be said for Scholes and Giggs as well! We were so blessed back then!

However, do you think standards would have been allowed to drop like last year with Keano around? He’d have been calling them all out - no way would he have downed tools or be of accepting players throwing their arms in the air or not trying.

There would have been lots of stories of scuffles at training and a few black eyes but you would have had CL football this season!

Sweet Square

Also what gets forgotten a lot is Keane was playing against a midfield of Zidane, Deschamps and Davids. Scholes didn’t come on until the 70th minute.

bosskeano

prime Keano in today's market would be at the level of what teams are paying for top class forwards...150m or more. When keano was in his prime there wasnt a better leader or CM in all of Europe. Fuk me i wish we had a guy like him in our squad right now with his leadership, drive and determination even with half the skill set.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yes - case can be said for Scholes and Giggs as well! We were so blessed back then!

However, do you think standards would have been allowed to drop like last year with Keano around? He’d have been calling them all out - no way would he have downed tools or be of accepting players throwing their arms in the air or not trying.

There would have been lots of stories of scuffles at training and a few black eyes but you would have had CL football this season!
my guess is he might also have threatened to quit... just like a certain Cristiano ronaldo

GL21

Gulf in difference between standards then and now. We cannot compete for top honours unless we have a top center midfielder. Our club should have at least one CM considered to be in the top 3 globally. The position is too critical for mediocrity never mind the sub standard we have now

Elcabron

His performance v Liverpool in the 96 FA Cup Final was also outstanding. Also his performances for Ireland v Italy in USA 94 and Holland 2001 in Dublin were colossal. There were many in fairness.

The Juventus one, whilst very good has become a bit overrated or mythically. Keane himself has said it wasn't his best performance.

phelans shorts

my guess is he might also have threatened to quit... just like a certain Cristiano ronaldo
He almost certainly would have. Well he might not have been given the choice, he had an awful toxic cloud around him when his legs went at the end, constantly lashing out at his teammates for his own decline.

Actually that’s another comparison between the two.

LeVoyageur

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Loved him as a player, still like him as football analyst

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Love the fact that Casemiro made a be line to him when he saw him :devil:

TheGame

The way Ronaldo ignores Carragher :lol:

Keane “You’re on the bench”. Ronaldo, “what do you want me to do?” Keane “Get in the team!” :lol:

Last edited: