Roy Keane

mu4c_20le

Not strictly true. He was annoyed by the training facilities, the lack of equipment, the state of the pitches, the players travelling in the squashed economy seats while the suits travelled first class. The whole thing boiled over when he had an argument over the keepers taking part in a 5 aside game, the press got wind of it and it grew legs from there. There was no issue, he had breakfast with Alan Kelly and Packie Bonner the next morning. Then Mick came in with a paper and called him out in front of the whole squad at a dinner and accused him of faking an injury to get out of a game, Roy defended himself in is his own way, they had an argument at the end of which Roy told him to make a decision and Mick sent him home. He could have handled it better, so could Mick, he could have bit his tongue and stayed but he didn't just walk out.
I misremembered because Niall Quinn said he walked out on them, so I always thought he did a mic drop after destroying Mccarthy and left

Foxbatt

Lets not nimpicking the details and give excuse to the players based on favouritism. They've all made mistake, and they've all came back to play after serving their punishment.
It's not nitpicking. Every situation was different. I didn't like the fact that Scholes refused to play even then. He was fined and suspended and rightly so. He didn't repeat it after that. With Ronaldo it's the second time this season. Cantona and Rio apologised publicly too. Plus their suspension was not by the club anyway . They didn't disrespect SAF nor their team mates.

Foxbatt

Nah they are not much different in principle. In fact, one could argue some of them are even worst.
You must have a weird sense then if what Rio, Eric and Scholes did is worse as per disrespect to the manager and team.

RVN1991

I say this as somebody who wouldn’t have Ronaldo in my first 11 and as someone who is looking beyond Ronaldo to the future.

I love that Keane is bang on Ronaldo’s side. They are both absolute winners with that drive that takes them to the very top of their capabilities. There are some players who people thought were better and they got nowhere near these two in terms of consistency of performance.

Keane, Ronaldo, Becks the three most driven and consistently brilliant players I’ve seen at United. By a LONG way.
That whole "winner" argument is so ludicrous in this specific situation considering the team has looked 10x better without Ronaldo in the lineup. If he was such a winner then he'd be in favor of having better players starting over him. He's about his own personal stats, guaranteed that he would prefer to score 40 league goals and have the team relegated than win the title while being a back up scoring a fraction of that, miss me with that "winner" nonsense.

BerryBerryShrew

That whole "winner" argument is so ludicrous in this specific situation considering the team has looked 10x better without Ronaldo in the lineup. If he was such a winner then he'd be in favor of having better players starting over him. He's about his own personal stats, guaranteed that he would prefer to score 40 league goals and have the team relegated than win the title while being a back up scoring a fraction of that, miss me with that "winner" nonsense.
Also the team that Keano was happily trashing last year contained Varane who has proven himself to be a "winner" to just as great a degree as Ronaldo. And we've added in Casemiro to the side that he was implying didn't have the right attitude when he said that they were overly satisfied after the Spurs performance.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It's not nitpicking. Every situation was different. I didn't like the fact that Scholes refused to play even then. He was fined and suspended and rightly so. He didn't repeat it after that. With Ronaldo it's the second time this season. Cantona and Rio apologised publicly too. Plus their suspension was not by the club anyway . They didn't disrespect SAF nor their team mates.
Nor did they do it in front of 75000 fans and millions of people watching on tv.

I'll never understand how anyone could look at this situation and go - "but those guys also did something bad" as if that makes it more ok.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Some interesting points lads on this thread and i must admit i somehow forgot about the whole Saipan episode. This may explain the mind of Roy and why he is siding or at least very sympathetic to Ronaldo on this one. He sees it as an honorable stand to walk out on real or perceived incompetence. I think Roys mistake though in making this parallel is that whatever similarities he possibly (in his mind) may see between Utds board and the FAI, one thing for sure is that ETH is no Mick McCarthy.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ronaldo is 37 now, that’s the only reason any of this post is true. That he can’t accept his own mortality is certainly an issue.
That being said your the dumbest person I’ve ever come across if you honestly believe Ronaldo is not a winner.

Withnail

I also like Keane, but this is not my impression. Unless he's somehow the greatest actor in the world, he's legitimately fuming when it comes to this topic. He seems to believe the things that he says.

At least he's genuine, though. I prefer genuine pundits with the occasional bad take over pure shit-stirrers and attention seekers.
I think he's conflicted over it. You could see he could kind of tell he was losing the argument and when he was asked if he'd have Ronaldo in the team he said 'if he was doing the business'. He'd also said he was scoring a goal every two games which is his overall record but he's only got 1 or 2 in the last 12. I'd have liked if they'd pulled him up on both points because he quite clearly isn't 'doing the business'.

clarkydaz

I misremembered because Niall Quinn said he walked out on them, so I always thought he did a mic drop after destroying Mccarthy and left
think i recall he had a way back if he apologised for the blowup, it never came. There was a statement, but no apology so Mick ended it

Oranges038

I've seen and read dozens of different accounts. There was obviously simmering tension between the two and it just needed a slight tip to set it off. Roy has even admitted since that he was just fed up of playing for him.

He wasn't happy with the setup, he told Mick and he was prepared to leave because he felt they weren't preparing properly for the tournament. He decided to stay. He wanted them to prepare properly, but they got there, the pitches were shit, there was no equipment, no water, no training gear. 3 players already got injured a good chunk of the squad hadn't trained for weeks. He also felt put out because none of the other senior players like Niall Quinn backed him up about it.

He also did an interview with Paul Kimmage or someone like that and said the same things as he had said to Mick. It wasn't well received. Mick basically called him out in front of everyone for faking injury to get out of the second leg of the play off in Iran. So Roy being Roy unleashed his tongue, he'd probably been holding a lot back since Mick had a go at him for being late for a bus years earlier. But he ended up saying a lot of stuff in a short space of time and then ended up leaving.

Both were to blame, maybe Roy could have bit his tongue and stuck it out. But that's not his style, he felt alone and cornered and lashed out. I can see why he's sympathising with Ronaldo, he's sees it as Ronaldo being alone and pushed into a corner and lashing out in his own way. But it's a totally different situation and Ronaldo is totally in the wrong.

RedOrange

He reads from the exact same script full of cliches as every idiot sports talk radio host. Every loss is down to a lack of character and professionalism, yet after a win the same players should be embarrassed for not having a more dour look on their faces after having beaten such lowly opponents. It's boring, pointless drivel delivered by a miserable old man.

The-Natural

The man who went on and on about too much player power at United, they'll keep throwing the managers under the bus etc etc

EtH comes in and stands up to it but Keane has already made his bed with Ronaldo so takes this ludicrous position on the matter instead.

Keane is a rebel without a clue.

On a side, slightly unrelated note I've come to realise that people like Keane who insist that everything in life is black and white and there are always simple answers, are, in a way, just covering up their inability to understand the nuance in a situation and thus perhaps just have a lack of intelligence. Keane seems very much the heir to Souness's throne in that regard and wasn't surprised to hear him pick him as one of his favourite pundits.

Lee565

The thing is if ten hag ended up getting the sack during the season, the likes of keane and sourness will be the first one to lay the blame at the players for throwing him under the bus (not the lovely ronaldo though of course), they are hypocrites.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Roy the manager would have strangled Ronaldo the player several times over at this point. Conversely, the passion and demonic pressing Erik has fostered in the team of late are right up his alley. He's a pantomime act.

croadyman

The only thing I do agree with him about is Utd aren't scoring enough goals due to not having a proper CF.

I am certainly getting tired of him and our other ex players sticking the boot into Ten Hag just because we didn't appoint their choice in Pochettino,get over it.

lex talionis

Keano, if you're reading this just man up and admit you're wrong about Ronaldo rightly walking out on his club (as you did when you walked out on your country, but even more egregiously so) and take the tin foil hat off.

Glorio

Apparently went to visit Ole whose current job is coaching his son's under-14 team. Watched training and took some pictures as well

Seems to be fiercely loyal, our Roy

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Apparently went to visit Ole whose current job is coaching his son's under-14 team. Watched training and took some pictures as well

He'll mostly stick by his old teammates (who haven't crossed him) to a fault.

Might not be great for his punditry, but it's not a trait I'm mad at.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Finally called out for the Ronaldo nonsense:

BerryBerryShrew

He'll mostly stick by his old teammates (who haven't crossed him) to a fault.

Might not be great for his punditry, but it's not a trait I'm mad at.
If he is willing to defend Ole and Ronaldo this much, imagine the lengths he'd be willing to go to to back some of his other teammates who he was even friendlier with.

If someone criticised Denis Irwin, Keano would probably wind up serving a life sentence!

Frank Grimes

If he is willing to defend Ole and Ronaldo this much, imagine the lengths he'd be willing to go to to back some of his other teammates who he was even friendlier with.

If someone criticised Denis Irwin, Keano would probably wind up serving a life sentence!
Think Keane and Ole were actually good mates. That's why I never really had any problem with him defending him even if I didn't agree with it.

Irwin99

Agree with Rooney, the younger Keano wouldn't have stood for it. Let's not forget this is the player that screamed at Eric Cantona for giving the ball away AFTER scoring the winning goal in a cup final :lol: . He had standards our Roy

Zed 101

Keane is and always was a complete £$%$"$ for part of the time he was our £$%$"$ so that was okay, but I got to say of all our ex-players I really have no residual affection for Keane

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I mean that's actually endearing, he's willing to stand up for his friends even if it's misguided so what's wrong with that.

Jordan_mufc

I mean that's actually endearing, he's willing to stand up for his friends even if it's misguided so what's wrong with that.
Because that's not his job. His job as a pundit is to objectively analyse games and give opinion based on that. Sky customers don't pay to watch someone stick up for their mate.

Oranges038

Agree with Rooney, the younger Keano wouldn't have stood for it. Let's not forget this is the player that screamed at Eric Cantona for giving the ball away AFTER scoring the winning goal in a cup final :lol: . He had standards our Roy

That tackle from.Scholes at 50 seconds :drool::drool:

Glorio

That's not true at all
I don't know for certain, hence the qualifier "seem" in my post, but he did call Scholes out for not doing interviews as a player and now not being able to keep quiet a while ago, and recently when defending Ronaldo, he called out Scholes for refusing to play.

He's seems a fiercely loyal bloke to his mates, so seems odd, and breaks his typical pattern

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

They are friends. Keane also visited Andy Cole in hospital a while ago. Despite his ice cold image he actually gets on well with a lot of people.
But he is wrong on Ronaldo.
All this winner bollocks. Keane and Ronaldo will always be winners. So what? Should Ronaldo then also be playing for us in 3,5,10 years?

GueRed

I agree with Rooney here.

Young Roy Keane the player would not have tolerated Ronaldo's behaviour.

Knowing him he probably would've tried to throttle him back in the changing rooms or something....verbal earbashings at the very least.

Ronaldo is still an asset and can still contribute to the team but if he's going sulk or throw a hissy fit every time he doesnt start is it worth it?

Will Singh

Is Keane still backing he’s team mate or will he actually have the balls to say it how it is a total disgrace, Keane hates opposition players having a chit chat acting like a hard nut but how can he defend a player who’s done what Ronaldo has done?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ronaldos biggest fan! I’m beginning to go of Keane. Was watching his argument with Gary Neville again earlier and he said something like he doesn’t care what the fans think, halve of the fans don’t know anything. That to me sounds like a right Tw*t. How on earth can he or anyone defend Ronaldo still? If it was any other player then Keane would be the first one to be on there backs. Becoming a joke how biased some people are. Think he’s just scared of getting ignored by Ronaldo and that he won’t get an handshake.

city-puma

We are all complicated.
Maybe, he defended Ronaldo because he was really defending his act after that Middlesbrough game. But seriously, his act at that time showed his honest care about the club but missing the big picture and was damaging to our process of rebuild. Ronaldo incidents are quite different, and more about himself.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thought he seemed even grumpier than usual. Must have heard the Ronaldo news.