Roy Keane

lsd

The Oracle
Maybe the lockdown has given you memory loss. This guy has made some phenomenal saves this season. He is definitely a top top goalkeeper. If he isn't, who is?

Anyone else . He has been a liability this season same as last

el3mel

Maybe the lockdown has given you memory loss. This guy has made some phenomenal saves this season. He is definitely a top top goalkeeper. If he isn't, who is?
He hasn't been near the best goalkeepers in the world anymore and that has been for a long time. I doubt any neutral will choose him as the best GK in the PL even.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's actually my favourite pundit at this point... Even if there isn't much punditry about it.

Someone should buy him a comb though

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Joint worst keeper in the league this season for mistakes leading to a goal

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was worried pre game as Keane kept on about how we'd come through fairly comfortably!
So it was inevitable we went behind and had to scrape our way back into it.

AFC NimbleThumb

Just seen a video of him savaging De Gea & it’s all fair points.

Someone in the dressing room has to raise standards & hood people accountable; when your captain has the turning circle of a ship at anchor he can’t call him out.

That was a shocking piece of goalkeeping & a decent squad wouldn’t stand for it. Imagine him pulling that crap in front of Rio or Vidic.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Oblak, Ter Stegen, Alisson, Courtois, Ederson, Navas, Szczesny, Meret, Handanovic, Sommer, Simon, and Onana have all been significantly better than DDG this season. Is he a top top goalkeeper if he's maybe the 12th best player at that position?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Oblak, Ter Stegen, Alisson, Courtois, Ederson, Navas, Szczesny, Meret, Handanovic, Sommer, Simon, and Onana have all been significantly better than DDG this season. Is he a top top goalkeeper if he's maybe the 12th best player at that position?
:lol:

Andersons Dietician

Do you think DeGea found out what Roy said then text him and asked for a square go. Roy fairly changed his tune by the end of the game. Maybe Rojo was watching from where ever he was and sent a msg.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Was worried pre game as Keane kept on about how we'd come through fairly comfortably!
So it was inevitable we went behind and had to scrape our way back into it.
In all fairness we should be beating that Spurs team easily. Roy was right.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think Patrice and Keano are actually a great match :lol:
Uncle Pat offering the lads a ride back to Manchester while Keane stared a hole through him was absolute gold. :D

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Allison Oblak TerStegan Neur etcetc
DDG has been consistently making mistakes he is basically Lloris level now

Rolledo

Keane has been tough on others but too kind on himself. Hope he is kind to his family and closed circle as well, could be an AH to live with.
Keane has on occasion been plenty tough on himself as a player. Often downplaying his qualties and importance compared to others on the team (Giggs, Cantona, Scholes etc). He doesn't hold back as a pundit, true, but doesn't seem too fussed about his own legacy at United either.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure he should be a pundit when it comes to United. He takes it too personally and always compares this team to "his" team and what they would have done differently etc.

Punditry is about being impartial and he just can't do it for United - but it's nice to see he still cares.

bsCallout

My Friend and his father have claimed all along the De Gea is not a great keeper.

I argued non-stop to defend him.

He's been impossible to defend for 18 months.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Keane has been tough on others but too kind on himself. Hope he is kind to his family and closed circle as well, could be an AH to live with.
If you read his book you see he is very self critical.

Nikelesh Reddy

While I do share Roy’s frustration with De Geas recent form,it’s ridiculous to call him an “over rated” Keeper.Hes a phenomenal goalkeeper who’s performed admirably for this club..,.Hes going through a rough patch right now and hopefully he”ll get back to his best soon...But let’s not rewrite history and call DDG “Over rated”...

POF

Keane is actually one of the most self critical players I've seen. He seriously undervalues himself (in public at least) and holds himself to incredible standards.

:houllier: :lol: :eek:
You know whats sad? He was a Sky Sports presenter since the beginning of premier league watching him week and week out and then he comes out and says something as stupid as that :lol:
In most cases, those that have that type of opinion on Keane just don't like him. He's a polarising personality who says what he thinks with zero filter and very easily alienates people.

His ability and influence gets downplayed because people don't like him and don't want to acknowledge that he was the best player in the best team in the league for almost a decade.

georgipep

Keane is actually one of the most self critical players I've seen. He seriously undervalues himself (in public at least) and holds himself to incredible standards.

In most cases, those that have that type of opinion on Keane just don't like him. He's a polarising personality who says what he thinks with zero filter and very easily alienates people.

His ability and influence gets downplayed because people don't like him and don't want to acknowledge that he was the best player in the best team in the league for almost a decade.
I love him as a player and Manchester United captain and legend. But his quality as a player did not translate to quality as a coach or manager, nor as a pundit. He seems incredibly superficial and triggerhappy in his thoughts. And those are not good qualities in most careers, especially coaching and punditry (unless you go for the clickbait, gaslighting fans that occupy the majority of space on twitter).

I cannot agree with him that a mistake (granted a bid one) should be addressed so pationately and carelessly on television. That's just not how you do things. Talk about the mistake, not the player(s). That's what I don't like about him. He makes things personal.

POF

I love him as a player and Manchester United captain and legend. But his quality as a player did not translate to quality as a coach or manager, nor as a pundit. He seems incredibly superficial and triggerhappy in his thoughts. And those are not good qualities in most careers, especially coaching and punditry (unless you go for the clickbait, gaslighting fans that occupy the majority of space on twitter).

I cannot agree with him that a mistake (granted a bid one) should be addressed so pationately and carelessly on television. That's just not how you do things. Talk about the mistake, not the player(s). That's what I don't like about him. He makes things personal.
I remember a quote in one of Keane's books where he said that football is only a game and it's ridiculous how seriously he takes it. But if he didn't take it so seriously he'd never have won anything.

That's just the way he is. He just desperately wants to win and as a United fan desperately wants United to win. He went way over the top of course but that goal summed up why United have had such a poor season. Lack of fire power up front so conceding the first goal is a hammer blow and what made it worse is that it was self inflicted by 2 of the team's leaders.

After an 11 match unbeaten run and a fantastic defensive record through that period, keeping that momentum going on the other side of lockdown was vital. A win and clean sheet at Spurs would have been huge for the club. It could impact whether they make the Champions League and the calibre of player the club can attract. It's a huge run of games in the club's history.

And with all of that as the back drop, 2 of the club's leaders do that.

Did he overreact? Yes. Was his sentiment correct? Absolutely.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not sure he should be a pundit when it comes to United. He takes it too personally and always compares this team to "his" team and what they would have done differently etc.

Punditry is about being impartial and he just can't do it for United - but it's nice to see he still cares.
Doesn’t it get boring if it’s too impartial? I prefer it when there’s 2 views contrasting and it’s aired out by 2 different people.

Just nobody can match Keane, they tend to just sit in silence in fear. It’s hard to even remember that a massive personality like Evra was the co pundit that evening. Where as Carragher and Neville you see them going head to head with different view points.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Doesn’t it get boring if it’s too impartial? I prefer it when there’s 2 views contrasting and it’s aired out by 2 different people.

Just nobody can match Keane, they tend to just sit in silence in fear. It’s hard to even remember that a massive personality like Evra was the co pundit that evening. Where as Carragher and Neville you see them going head to head with different view points.
I'm not really a fan of his ranting to be honest. I don't find many of his points that helpful and his comments basically come down to "if I was there i'd be punching their lights out".

Well that's great and all but how does that describe to the layman who's watching why/how it went wrong and what could be done to be improved etc?

I guess if you want a shock jockey type that creates headlines then he's entertaining but I think he's just a bit too emotional.

He's actually not bad when he's calmer and talks things through more methodically like he does with other teams.

georgipep

I remember a quote in one of Keane's books where he said that football is only a game and it's ridiculous how seriously he takes it. But if he didn't take it so seriously he'd never have won anything.

That's just the way he is. He just desperately wants to win and as a United fan desperately wants United to win. He went way over the top of course but that goal summed up why United have had such a poor season. Lack of fire power up front so conceding the first goal is a hammer blow and what made it worse is that it was self inflicted by 2 of the team's leaders.

After an 11 match unbeaten run and a fantastic defensive record through that period, keeping that momentum going on the other side of lockdown was vital. A win and clean sheet at Spurs would have been huge for the club. It could impact whether they make the Champions League and the calibre of player the club can attract. It's a huge run of games in the club's history.

And with all of that as the back drop, 2 of the club's leaders do that.

Did he overreact? Yes. Was his sentiment correct? Absolutely.
Again, I enjoy and value much more pundits and commentators who discuss the play, not the player(s). He trashed Maguire and De Gea but he didn't spend a second to talk about the situation, the tactics, what they should've done, where the problem originated (Shaw's poor header to Rashford) or anything other than the players at fault. That's what I would expect from a twitter fan or most of the fans here.

And that's why there isn't a serious club willing to give him another chance. It's just obvious that he makes everything personal and that's not how you do good work in (almost) any field.