Roy Keane

Irwin99

That is my channel btw :D. Was wondering where all the views were coming from till I found out it was posted on here :lol:.

You can find more of such videos (including ones on United legends) on here if you are interested - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/match-compilations.440915/

Well here's Keano at his rampaging best. Brilliant performance and a cracking game.
Great video and great channel, thanks. You can definitely see the evolution in his game from a rampaging box to box to a midfield metronome.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Great video and great channel, thanks.
Thank you.

You can definitely see the evolution in his game from a rampaging box to box to a midfield metronome
Aye, he was always a commanding presence and he'd obviously lost a bit of his dynamism in his later years but his passing was always top notch (more refined and metronomic in his later years though).

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Well here's Keano at his rampaging best. Brilliant performance and a cracking game.
What a crazy game that was, one of those where I still remember exactly where I was for it.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
What a crazy game that was, one of those where I still remember exactly where I was for it.
Indeed, the tempo was insane and there should have been even more goals. Giggs had some great chances, although he scored one of the best goals of his career with that lovely little chip.

Great videos, thanks! Early rampaging Keane was a force of nature with that engine, his performance in the cup final in 96 was absolutely immense. Like a one man army that day!
Cheers. That match is next up on the agenda, will post it once it's done.

You can watch these other Keane vids meanwhile though

Or Robson if it takes your fancy :lol:

Last edited:

Tyrion

I recall that Keane said the advice SAF have him when he became a manager is that he needs to stop expecting his players to do things in the pitch that he can do, to stop expecting them to perform like himself or his united team mates. SAF knows him best.
True. I'd say Keane hates that.

GioF

I'm a huge Roy Keane fan and agree with him that the Villa celebration was a bit much but I honestly don't think it's dry sarcastic humour. He's just a truly bitter and dark human being and actually believes what he expresses with words and body language.
I could be bias as Keane is my favourite player of all time. However in interviews and especially in the 2hr sit down with Neville (off the ball) he came across so authentic and just had the perfect comedic timing.That’s why I think instances like with Villa he’s maybe playing up to it a little.

poleglass red

I think there's a big hint of Keane at times winding people up, playing up to his persona a bit. I just watched an interview with Andy Goram, who as many know did not get along with Keane in that they never spoke during his 3 month spell at the club. Goram was interviewed by James English, and he asked the question about Keane in the hope of leading Goram down a path where he criticised Keane. Like many other players who have played with Keane he didn't say anything bad about him. He said they never spoke but he said Keane was the best player he seen for picking up players who were feeling down or playing poorly. I think you need to take Keane the pundit with a pinch of salt.I think he's great, he's not there to give in depth tactical insight, others do that. When he talks about mentality etc, that's when he shines as he knows exactly what it takes.

padzilla

Hipster
What does Micah Richards bring as a pundit, he is just wheeled out to play the jester with a big laugh. Surely there are better alternatives who can offer something resembling insight, he seems to be there to appeal to people who use the word "bants".

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because they haven’t won anything.

Keano can’t relate to it because his mindset was so focused on winning. Mere mortals can’t relate.
I celebrated along with all my Wycombe supporting pals, the players and management, when we celebrated staying up as 23rd in league 2 6 years ago!

Relegation could have meant the club folding.

So I definitely think staying up in the premier league is worth of celebrating!

Yes it's not winning anything, but it's still a huge relief.

Superunknown

Just immense :drool:
:drool:

One of my favourite ever players. I still remember watching that game and went absolutely berserk when Cantona scored the winner. Keane's tackling, passing and position in that game though...wow. That was a brilliant video to watch. Cheers for that!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A great watch, thanks! Blows your mind thinking about how much would a young Keane would cost now.
The funny thing is didn't we buy him from a relegated Nottingham Forest?

In this current day we'd be saying "not good enough, we don't want relegated players" :wenger:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Most definitely with all the top clubs fighting over him. His transfer thread would be amusing though, I bet we’d get lots of people who’d never watched him properly saying he isn’t good enough on the ball!
We had someone on here who claimed to have watched him properly who thought Schneiderlin was a better passer.

Fingeredmouse

Most definitely with all the top clubs fighting over him. His transfer thread would be amusing though, I bet we’d get lots of people who’d never watched him properly saying he isn’t good enough on the ball!
We get that comment about him now quite regularly on this forum.

EngimaMK

They'd be livid that he's Irish and doesn't have a fancy foreign name.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
A great watch, thanks!
:drool:

One of my favourite ever players. I still remember watching that game and went absolutely berserk when Cantona scored the winner. Keane's tackling, passing and position in that game though...wow. That was a brilliant video to watch. Cheers for that!
Cheers! Glad to know that you enjoyed them, will post more comps of Keane as and when I make them.

Blows your mind thinking about how much would a young Keane would cost now.
Would be £ 150 million plus I reckon, as he'd be the best midfielder in the game and his tactical nous and technical ability means that he'd easily slot into just about any modern side.

Love the fact that he goes ballistic at Cantona for giving the ball away cheaply only a minute or so after Cantona scored what would be the winning goal :lol:
That was some sight :lol:

Foxbatt

I recall that Keane said the advice SAF have him when he became a manager is that he needs to stop expecting his players to do things in the pitch that he can do, to stop expecting them to perform like himself or his united team mates. SAF knows him best.
This is not a problem with only Keane. It's with great players becoming managers.
I remember an interview by Van Basten saying the same thing about Johan Cruijff.
Van Basten says Cruijff expects him to do things Cruijff did and he did tell Cruijff that he is not Cruijff and not to expect him to do things or play like the way he expects Van Basten to play.

Glorio

What does Micah Richards bring as a pundit, he is just wheeled out to play the jester with a big laugh. Surely there are better alternatives who can offer something resembling insight, he seems to be there to appeal to people who use the word "bants".
Correction: Bantz
Seriously, invest in proper literacy. A good education would do you wonders! :D

lex talionis

Roy Keane was fantastic (though flawed) as a footballer, it wouldn't be out of bounds to discuss him in the context of a hypothetical greatest XI of all time -- any league, not just the PL or the old First Division. He was everywhere in all three third of the pitch, virtually no flaws to his game on the ball. That which he could not do himself, he would make sure someone else did. He really was that great. Before the game, after the game, during midweek...a captain's captain.

Maybe this thread is just about Keane as a footballer, but it must be said that as a pundit he's a bit a nutcase about which very little he says should be taken as gospel. He's out to settle scores and polish his brand as a bitter wiseman.

SteveTheRed

Of course he plays up to it on Sky Sports, that is his job. There is a time and place for in depth analysis of plays/ movements and other times were fans just want to see someone rip into a team for being lazy. Roy is your man for that.

YAMS49

The funny thing is didn't we buy him from a relegated Nottingham Forest?

In this current day we'd be saying "not good enough, we don't want relegated players" :wenger:
He was Forest's best player by an absolute country mile that season, he even covered at centre half and was outstanding. Forest sold Des Walker in the summer & then Sheringham before the window shut. They replaced those two with Carl Tiler & Gary Bannister.... Enough said.

PeteManic

Keane is in the Holy Trinity of Ferguson signings with Schmeichel and Cantona. Those three signings made the Fergie empire. 95/96 was my favourite 90s season. Even more so than 98/99. But maybe that's just an age thing. That Monday night in St. James Park - pure magic.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

An interesting game with Keane filling in as a makeshift right back, despite not being fully match fit. Has one or two shaky moments at the start but settles in and really grows into the match, capping off an excellent display with a great assist for Mark Hughes.

keithsingleton

I struggle to ever call hero/legends and that's still the case with Keane. I know his comments with De Gea were OTT You have to remember he gave it 100% every time on the pitch and expected the same from his team mates. He was instrumental in us winning so many Trophies. Have to be honest I love him as a pundit, he doesn't hold back does he. :lol: Just like on the pitch. Keane very much like Fergie in the dressing room ( hair dryer treatment ) only difference is Keane did it on the pitch.

Many say he's like marmite (( LOVE or HATE )) well I hate marmite but if Keane did become Marmite then I'd grow to love him. :)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Just feckin majestic, that's all. A proper midfield general's display from Keane - pulling the strings from midfield, interceptions, tackles (including a goal saving one in the dying minutes) and setting the tempo for his side.

Poor Gerrard couldn't get anywhere near him and was actually subbed off due to an injury right before the end of the first half. Not like he did anything of note prior to that. Rio's first game after the drug test suspension too.

A short performance (subbed off at 49 mins) but once again you can really see Keane's quality on the ball. In my opinion he's one of the best first touch passers that I've seen.

Keane being average or poor on the ball has to be one of the worst footballing myths that gets peddled about sometimes.