Roy Keane

Matthew84!

I personally think keane brings something different, if I was Ole I would of had him on the coaching staff, help set the standards and get the lazy players shifted out or up their game,

James Peril

I personally think keane brings something different, if I was Ole I would of had him on the coaching staff, help set the standards and get the lazy players shifted out or up their game,
Keane would overrun Ole in five minutes, strong people like Roy do not have the capacity to accept oweak personalities without taking over the show. Roy speaks fluent English and wins every discussion before it begins. Besides, there is a reason why tough guy Keane is making a fool out of himself on TV instead of being a manager. He was sacked everywhere he went, people generally don’t like him, they’re afraid of him so to speak. If he was a co-worker in my office, he would probably be the main reason why I would move to another place - that’s how the players would see him in the end. Last point, it’s been 20 years since Roy was on top as a player - both football and players have developed a whole lot since then, and we know he doesn’t like modern players, the cars and clothes, total mismatch. Even down to earth people like Lindelöf will rock a sportscar, Louis Vuitton-bags and red shoes with paint on them.

Fear, do a certain degree, works if you’re highly successful like Sir Alex or have the charisma to back it, a player never wanted to disappoint Sir Alex. With Keane, you would have to deal with a vicious character with a lot of failure on his resumé - and that’s not something you want to accept. Imagine Keane calling Fernandes a pussy or idiot for getting hurt during training, great way to motivate.

I agree. Look at Keane’s mentors. Fergie and Clough. Fergie had the capacity to change as he got older, but neither Fergie in the 90’s or Clough would work in this day and age, and that’s who Keane tries to emulate.

loved him as a player, would love to sit down with him and chat, but in no way do I want him at United in any capacity where he interacts with players.

poleglass red

Keane's personality would have caused issues for him in any era. It did for Fergie but he had the success to back him up.This Keane can't handle the modern player as if it has only emerged in last 10 yrs, jaysus lads he played with Rooney, Yorke, Becks and Ronaldo. Difference is they performed, if not Fergie was waiting and with Becks maybe a football boot across the head.Keane himself referenced in his book Richardson as a kid turning up for training in flash sports car. Let's not kid ourselves that Roy is living in a terraced house in a council estate driving a beat up 2nd hand car. Roy looks after himself. Roy nearly has the personality you'd want in a manager, you see it in Klopp and Pep, they get in players faces, they will rant and rave, but they generally know how far to take it, Roy doesn't. I've no doubt that Klopp or Pep would have issues with Pogba in the pl. I honestly think people who want Keane at Utd do so, as they'd like to see him give Pogba a dressing down. Good in theory but it wouldn't work, player isn't suited to this league and his heart hasn't been it regardless of manager/coach.

Greck

Keane's personality would have caused issues for him in any era. It did for Fergie but he had the success to back him up.This Keane can't handle the modern player as if it has only emerged in last 10 yrs, jaysus lads he played with Rooney, Yorke, Becks and Ronaldo. Difference is they performed, if not Fergie was waiting and with Becks maybe a football boot across the head.Keane himself referenced in his book Richardson as a kid turning up for training in flash sports car. Let's not kid ourselves that Roy is living in a terraced house in a council estate driving a beat up 2nd hand car. Roy looks after himself. Roy nearly has the personality you'd want in a manager, you see it in Klopp and Pep, they get in players faces, they will rant and rave, but they generally know how far to take it, Roy doesn't. I've no doubt that Klopp or Pep would have issues with Pogba in the pl. I honestly think people who want Keane at Utd do so, as they'd like to see him give Pogba a dressing down. Good in theory but it wouldn't work, player isn't suited to this league and his heart hasn't been it regardless of manager/coach.
He played with a young Rooney. Plus Rooney was never a lockerroom headcase nor was he going to challenge team veterans. Rooney was also a huge team player. The way he slid aside to let Ronaldo and Van Persie be the focal point of our attack without raising issue was amazing. So the bolded isn't really a point for Keane's case. The truth with Keane is his default setting is angry. Management and leadership require a lot more than that. Fergie famously coddled young Ronaldo when it looked like he wasn't the kind to respond to constant bollocking. Roy just doesn't have that kind of diplomacy. Even on Sky he puts people down when everyone is trying to be respectful. He can't help himself

poleglass red

He played with a young Rooney. Plus Rooney was never a lockerroom headcase nor was he going to challenge team veterans. Rooney was also a huge team player. The way he slid aside to let Ronaldo and Van Persie be the focal point of our attack without raising issue was amazing. So the bolded isn't really a point for Keane's case. The truth with Keane is his default setting is angry. Management and leadership require a lot more than that. Fergie famously coddled young Ronaldo when it looked like he wasn't the kind to respond to constant bollocking. Roy just doesn't have that kind of diplomacy. Even on Sky he puts people down when everyone is trying to be respectful. He can't help himself
Didn't Rooney recently say something publicly about challenging Keane's authority, Keane laughed it of as nothing, a disagreement over a tv or something silly. Rooney felt standing up to him brought him Keanes respect. SAF also had issues with Rooney, Rooney famously challenging him re his signings, so whilst a great team player on the pitch I don't think it was all plain sailing off it, he's also recently criticised SAF tactics in cl defeats to Barca. SAF of course claimed at one point Rooney submitted a transfer req which Rooney denied. The rest, I agree with, Keane great player, his drive and will drove us, but it's too much as a manager, too confrontational

Irwin99

1996 - 2001 in his prime he was world class. There werent any better of his type out there in world football. Probably Patrick Vieira would come close followed by Edgar Davids..
Vieira runs him very close but I'd pick Keane, partly through obvious United bias but also I feel Keane was able to drag United teams to points against Arsenal when United weren't playing well whereas I don't think Vieira could pick his team up in the same way if Arsenal weren't playing well. I'd say Vieira was the best PL midfielder i've ever seen against us (far superior to Gerrard, Lampard and Toure in terms of the control he could exert in the midfield)

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
To be fair, a team with 11 Irwins would be the best team in the history of football. Good luck playing against that.

RedorDead21

yeah but his eyes don’t lie and if they do I’m a chinaman

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
SAF rigging the questions for a table quiz cause he always wanted to win everything.
Keane going mad at a table quiz cause he always wanted to win everything.

Put the two together and nobody can beat them at anything

cyril C

Keane is not good enough to manage any club, whether EPL or U19. He should continue doing what he is doing right now. Stay away from MU (but OK going to Liverpool)

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Very few top top talented players become great coaches. Mostly because they expect same level of talent skill that came ih so naturally to them on other players they coach. I would also probably have my foot in the mouth when christiano ronaldo guides us to our back to back CLs in 10 years time.

Ladron de redcafe

Very few top top talented players become great coaches. Mostly because they expect same level of talent skill that came ih so naturally to them on other players they coach. I would also probably have my foot in the mouth when christiano ronaldo guides us to our back to back CLs in 10 years time.
That's generally true except for the cases in which an elite player's game is predicated on his sport IQ rather than athleticism. There are a few examples of those exceptions in sports.

In basketball, Larry Bird and Steve Kerr were never athletic and therefore relied on their intelligence and learning how to "read" the game. That helped them develop into great coaches. Guardiola is an example of that in football.

Sveinp

Supports
Beckenbauer and Cruyff . Top 5 players of all time and great coaches.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I get Keane is desperate for one more crack in management but in terms of man managemet, it seems like his papers have been marked so to speak.

Jackal

This is the kind of personality Ole should be bringing in to join his coaching crew. A character that would remind the lazy gits at United what wearing the badge means. As long as Keane doesn't have to speak before the cameras, I don't see how hiring him as a backroom staff would pose any problem. There's enough talent in the squad, with a bit of kicking in the ass, the team still has a gear or two in it to perform.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yep, love him, he is my favourite United player ever but he should stick to punditry or manage another club if he wants it.
I can’t see him as part of our management / coaching team.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Imagine being that good at something. To have that fire driving you to the top of a professional space.

Then experiencing it just... disappear.

I’m bitter at not being a competitive age group runner anymore. Cant imagine handling a bigger gap without being a moody bastard.

Falcow

Some of the assumptions in here about Keane are mind boggling. He did ok at both Sunderland and Ipswich for the record.

I suspect he might not get on with many of today's man bag generation but I've no doubt someone like Bruno would be just fine with him, in the same way Ronaldo was influenced by his first 2 years at united with Keane as captain.

0le

I saw that video earlier and one of the comments was that Keane was mad he was not in the same team with Irwin :D

Champagne Football

If Keane wants to get back into management, he would need to take a job at a club at the level of Molde, Brondby, Shamrock Rovers, FC Twente.... a club that might give him enough time to develop his own style without the threat of being sacked every week if the team suffers a period of poor form.

I don't think Keane is even ready to manage in The Championship. I think the intensity and demand for instant results would send him over the edge again quickly. He needs to do an Ole/Roy Hodgson if he still wants to be a manager. He needs to disappear off the football map for a few years managing some minnows, develop his management style and identity over a 3 or 4 year period where the pressure is much lower, then come back when he feels ready. He needs to learn to have patience with inferior players if he is to have any chance of success at being a manager.

Gazza

Some of the assumptions in here about Keane are mind boggling. He did ok at both Sunderland and Ipswich for the record.

I suspect he might not get on with many of today's man bag generation but I've no doubt someone like Bruno would be just fine with him, in the same way Ronaldo was influenced by his first 2 years at united with Keane as captain.
all the above says is that Keane has been unable to adapt his style and move with the times.

Jericho

That video just disappoints me now looking back that Keane and Evra were never at United together

Mr Smith

Keane would overrun Ole in five minutes, strong people like Roy do not have the capacity to accept oweak personalities without taking over the show. Roy speaks fluent English and wins every discussion before it begins. Besides, there is a reason why tough guy Keane is making a fool out of himself on TV instead of being a manager. He was sacked everywhere he went, people generally don’t like him, they’re afraid of him so to speak. If he was a co-worker in my office, he would probably be the main reason why I would move to another place - that’s how the players would see him in the end. Last point, it’s been 20 years since Roy was on top as a player - both football and players have developed a whole lot since then, and we know he doesn’t like modern players, the cars and clothes, total mismatch. Even down to earth people like Lindelöf will rock a sportscar, Louis Vuitton-bags and red shoes with paint on them.

Fear, do a certain degree, works if you’re highly successful like Sir Alex or have the charisma to back it, a player never wanted to disappoint Sir Alex. With Keane, you would have to deal with a vicious character with a lot of failure on his resumé - and that’s not something you want to accept. Imagine Keane calling Fernandes a pussy or idiot for getting hurt during training, great way to motivate.
Your second point is really the key one; football dressing rooms have changed over the last 20 years the same way all other workplaces have. I'm an organisational psychologist and I can tell you now that most modern workplaces would view Keane as a straight-up bully and a toxic influence, and i dont think football clubs are an exception.