Roy Keane

Godfather

Unbelievably harsh comments on Fred. We’re watching the lad play an excellent part in the build-up to the goal he scored, and Keane said “I even expected him to miss that”.
No need for that after such a good game. The miserable sod.

Kag

He’s a cartoon character on Sky. He plays up to it and it ensures Sky Sports clips are trending on Twitter.

bsCallout

Fred was poor today. I'd possibly put him as one of the worst performers, if not the worst. He played some great stuff for the goal though.

90 + 5min

Roy Keane is so brilliant. Like player, like expert. I would love to see him in the club in some role.

He really gets under Redknapp skin.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
He’s not wrong though.

I think due to Fred’s first season we’ve gotten into a habit of accepting his quality as acceptable for a man united centre Midfielder, almost as if subconsciously it’s like “oh yeah that’s a quality game ...by freds standards”

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Just because Fergie was a great manager, doesn't mean he was never wrong, or never a bit of a git. He's human like everyone else, hard though that might be to believe

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
By United standards he was bang average at best
What is United standard these days? The standard at the moment is not the same as peak 2008 SAF United. We haven't won the league since 2013 and have only made top 4 in half of them years.

Fred is a decent player for the present team.

redrobed

No need for that after such a good game. The miserable sod.
I get where you’re coming from but if Keane’s mentality/charachter wasn’t like this he wouldn’t have been a fraction of the player he was. Think we just have to take it with a pinch of salt and be grateful for everything he’s done for us. He’s just so driven by standards.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What is United standard these days? The standard at the moment is not the same as peak 2008 SAF United. We haven't won the league since 2013 and have only made top 4 in half of them years.

Fred is a decent player for the present team.
Have you not seen our midfielders, Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Freds performance was bang average at best. Good bit of play for the goal though

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

He is no longer dead to me.
I am pleasantly surprised at Keane's positive reactions towards the protests. I reckon he's just chuffed at the fact that the United fans are not proving themselves to be the prawn crackers brigade he accused some of them to be.

Betson

Hard to argue if anything he says there , as he says people talk about progress but the facts are that we are still as far away from contending for titles as we ever were , just too many mediocre players in the squad and after a nearly a billion quid spent since since Fergie stepped down we are still far away also rans for any of the major trophies.

Europa league is our ambition now , but facts are it is second level of European competition for teams who are not good enlighten to play at the top level.

Irwin99

He really doesn't like Fred as a player I think which is a bit harsh but he has a point. We play with two very committed but ultimately pretty average/decent midfielders.

poleglass red

thought he was spot on, you can sense his disappointment in recent displays. Although his views were direct, nothing he said for me was wrong. You can see when he's talking about McT, he likes the man but just doesn't rate the player, and I think a lot of us are starting to see the same thing. Fred is Fred and I guess when we play 2 similiar players like that, their lack of ability on the ball is compounded. We are chasing a game and we bring on Matic. That tells you everything you need to know re VDB.

Cman

I’d give my left nut if we could sign a player who would be as good as prime Keano. Legend

RedorDead21

He really doesn't like Fred as a player I think which is a bit harsh but he has a point. We play with two very committed but ultimately pretty average/decent midfielders.
Yes but they do work most of the time to provide a solid base. To improve on that won’t be as easy as it looks. People want Rice. There would be no obvious jump up in quality in possession with Rice or similar. You’d also need a cultured world class midfielder to dictate play. A top midfield should be our only real target this summer as Greenwood can play right or top and we just haven’t had a top midfield for decades it feels like. From there we can spunk money on the right wing if still needed next summer when our kids might fill it anyway (bought for a ton of cash already).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Roy is very black and white depending on the result. The man himself said United were progressing before the past two poor results.
He's great entertainment and there was little there I didnt disagree with but, again, he's extreme.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I can understand why Keane would be so annoyed with that, yes the season is more or less done for United but he wasn't the type who would slack off and would have relished costing Liverpool Champions League football.

RuudTom83

Typical over reaction from the media, you're either the best in the world or utter garbage these days.

League is over, United are guaranteed CL next season, the only game that matters is the Europa final.

Yes it would be great to play every game like it is a final and be willing to die for the badge but come on the reaction is a bit silly.

48 hours ago Sky were talking about Leicester throwing away the champions league place for next season, then at half time last night they were 'eyeing up 2nd place'.

A misplaced pass and some players would be transfer listed if you paid any attention to pundits.

Oranges038

Hard to disagree with him, even Sourness made some valid points about the money spent last night.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Keano certainly seemed down last night.
It wasn't "normal" circumstances though in fairness. We had very little riding on it beyond it being Liverpool, had a day fewer rest than them anyway, and a few had a little run out Tuesday too.
Add in all the nonsense with the protesting etc and not surprised it knocked us a fair bit.

Matthew84!

Yes but they do work most of the time to provide a solid base. To improve on that won’t be as easy as it looks. People want Rice. There would be no obvious jump up in quality in possession with Rice or similar. You’d also need a cultured world class midfielder to dictate play. A top midfield should be our only real target this summer as Greenwood can play right or top and we just haven’t had a top midfield for decades it feels like. From there we can spunk money on the right wing if still needed next summer when our kids might fill it anyway (bought for a ton of cash already).
Are you joking? Have you ever watched Rice play? I don't want to seem harsh on your post but Rice can actually pass the ball, he's tall and he can go past people. He seems very comfortable on the ball. No of which I can say about Fred, Rice would be a massive step up from Fred. Are there better options than Rice? Maybe,
i would be intrigued by who you think is better?

jem

Typical over reaction from the media, you're either the best in the world or utter garbage these days.

League is over, United are guaranteed CL next season, the only game that matters is the Europa final.

Yes it would be great to play every game like it is a final and be willing to die for the badge but come on the reaction is a bit silly.

48 hours ago Sky were talking about Leicester throwing away the champions league place for next season, then at half time last night they were 'eyeing up 2nd place'.

A misplaced pass and some players would be transfer listed if you paid any attention to pundits.
I would say depriving Liverpool of CL matters a lot, both for the obvious bragging rights but also for what it would in preventing our biggest rival from competing for the sort of titles (CL) and from signing players (ex. Sancho) who we would like to sign. Basically, this team hadn’t earned the right to be complacent about anything.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I’d give my left nut if we could sign a player who would be as good as prime Keano. Legend
He was a great buy. But was considered outrageously expensive by some at the time! It was a British transfer record I believe. Can you see the Glazers shelling out for a similar type this summer?
I can't.

Robbo*

I think the logic is that signing one more effective defensive midfielder, be it Rice or someone else, would allow Pogba to slot inside to do the playmaking.

jem

Hard to disagree with him, even Sourness made some valid points about the money spent last night.
Yes but Souness is not seeing the forest for the trees. Supporters are tired of non-football people like Woodward and Arnold being given the responsibility of spending those funds. That, coupled with the owners’ complete communication disconnect with the fans, is what fuels the fans’ hatred, something that existed prior to the ESL fiasco.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He is United's version of Souness, a shit talker whose only job is to wind people up and get retweets and YouTube views for Sky.

RUCK4444

Listen I love Keano the player and his recent link up with Micah has been funny... however he's a first class fecking drama queen.

I know, I said it. But it's true.

I've never seen a grown man swing from a positive to a nuclear-world-is-ending negative diatribe quite like Roy.

One minute it's positives and we need two or three players, then after a single result (against a rival in fairness but a bit of a dead rubber) it's the end of the world and Ole and the team may as well pack up and go home now because we are light years away from City. Feck me, Roy, give it a rest.

R77

I see Keano's critical rants in a similar vein to manager interviews tbh. If any of the players were watching, it's a worthy message. He lacks in context and nuance because he's in character and has a job, but the essence of what he says is spot on. He knows what it's like to succeed here after all.

He made one valid point about years of no firm footballing structure and a banker dispensing the cash. Other than that, he has the vibe of an out of touch old geezer on the brink of senility. Painful viewing tbf.