Roy Keane

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Vieira looked like he'd shat himself in the tunnel with Keane shouting at him.

The idea he'd "smoke" Keane is laughable.
Agreed. Size is one thing, toughness another. Viera was obviously not willing to take it further with Keane, hence henoicked on Gary

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yup. He was a heck of a footballer whose passing ability is often overlooked.
It's so reductive and depressing. Especially so when this thread picked up due to a genuinely entertaining 50 questions with Neville.
Yeah spot on, if anything his work recently with Sky has shone a light on Keane’s personality that a lot of (mainly non united) fans didn’t know about him.

The driest wit you will ever find, and of course a fabulous footballer. As Xaviesta said he was a great passer of the ball, which when you think about it he had to be? If he was out there giving the ball away 15 times a match then he can hardly be respected as a leader to give you the hair drier treatment. :lol:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Got to love some siding with Haaland there. Obviously not because they're in love with his son now.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Offhand? Head butt on Heidur Helgusson (sp) of Watford. Punch? Keane for sure.
I can go build a list if you want.

I can't offhand remember Keane headbutting anyone although it wouldn't surprise me.

And yes, I really think Vieira was the latter. He physically intimidated, fouled, hurt people and often lost his shit.

Edit: He was violent all through his career too.He got sent off for city against Inter for a pretty nasty elbow if memory serves.
Ok

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Vieira was not a especially violent guy though. He was primarily a footballer. I’m sure that Keane was well aware of this. Same goes for Schmeichel and other bigger guys that Keane supposedly tangled with, I don’t think he would do it with a genuine nutter that was bigger than him (like Ferguson). There’s a reason that they have weight classes in boxing :lol:
Did you watch Vieira?
He was exceptionally snide and dirty, and Wenger often had to play the "i didn't see it" routine, to cover for his latest routine.

Spitting at Ruddock, countless red cards, got away with a head butt due to Keane taking it well etc.

Having said this, I think even Keane himself said Vieira would have him in a fight.

Keane is slight and 5ft 10 at tallest (have always wondered about that one as he looks shorter), whereas Vieira was about 6ft 5 and a brute.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Did you watch Vieira?
He was exceptionally snide and dirty, and Wenger often had to play the "i didn't see it" routine, to cover for his latest routine.

Spitting at Ruddock, countless red cards, got away with a head butt due to Keane taking it well etc.

Having said this, I think even Keane himself said Vieira would have him in a fight.

Keane is slight and 5ft 10 at tallest (have always wondered about that one as he looks shorter), whereas Vieira was about 6ft 5 and a brute.
Yeah I did see him play. He was an aggressive player for sure, but he wasn’t a Ferguson/Barton/Jones type at all.

Green_Red

He was a pretty good footballer on top of all the other bollox. I remember the performances for Ireland he mentions in the video, probably the best player on the pitch in all he mentions bar the game against Italy in 94, McGrath wad best Irish player that day. Surprised he didn't mention the France game in Dublin where he pretty much nullified Henry and Zidane whilst he was on the pitch. He did have some good games against Zidane.

As for Schmiechel being a little bit over rated I know we love him as United fans but I always felt Oliver Kahn was the best goalkeeper of that era. Schmeichel was very close but he was a little overrated in that regard. There were some very good goalkeepers who matched him.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He was a pretty good footballer on top of all the other bollox. I remember the performances for Ireland he mentions in the video, probably the best player on the pitch in all he mentions bar the game against Italy in 94, McGrath wad best Irish player that day. Surprised he didn't mention the France game in Dublin where he pretty much nullified Henry and Zidane whilst he was on the pitch. He did have some good games against Zidane.

As for Schmiechel being a little bit over rated I know we love him as United fans but I always felt Oliver Kahn was the best goalkeeper of that era. Schmeichel was very close but he was a little overrated in that regard. There were some very good goalkeepers who matched him.

What was Kahn better at other than being a more exotic choice for you?

Green_Red

What was Kahn better at other than being a more exotic choice for you?
Won more titles. Conceded a goal every 238 minutes vs Peter every 213 minutes in their respective leagues. Like I said very close, both phenomenal. He also played in a world Cup final, and before you say Peter played for Denmark that Danish team were up there with the best at that time. Also played in more CL finals. In general I always thought Kahn had a bigger presence, which is something considering who we're comparing him against.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Won more titles. Conceded a goal every 238 minutes vs Peter every 213 minutes in their respective leagues. Like I said very close, both phenomenal. He also played in a world Cup final, and before you say Peter played for Denmark that Danish team were up there with the best at that time. Also played in more CL finals. In general I always thought Kahn had a bigger presence, which is something considering who we're comparing him against.
They weren't up there with the best. They had 2 extraordinary players, Schmeichel being one and the other being the good Laudrup and that was it. They didn't even qualify for 1992.

When it came to the moments that mattered, Schmeichel was THE MAN. Be it through luck, ability or a mixture of both.

May I remind you who bungled the ball for Ronaldo's goal in the World Cup final?

Played in more finals, also lost a lot more of them.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
Did you watch Vieira?

That's not such a bad thing, is it? I mean it's Ruddock the w@nker we are talking about.

Andersonson

You mean the Danish team who didn't qualify for euro 92 or the team who got eliminated in group stage 96?

Or the world cup team of 1990 who didn't qualify? Or maybe the team in 94 who didn't qualify?

The 98- team was good though. Schmeichel was 34 then.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Up there with the best?
Madness.

Denmark winning the Euros was the biggest shock until Greece long ball and set pieced their way to a win.

Green_Red

You mean the Danish team who didn't qualify for euro 92 or the team who got eliminated in group stage 96?

Or the world cup team of 1990 who didn't qualify? Or maybe the team in 94 who didn't qualify?

The 98- team was good though. Schmeichel was 34 then.
So are you adding weight to my assessment that Kahn was better? It's hard to tell, but you make a convincing argument.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Kahn was better
Disagree, and doing it from stats is bizarre.
Who is to say the German league wasn't weaker, and thus he would naturally concede fewer! Just for one massive issue with going off your stats.

Green_Red

Disagree, and doing it from stats is bizarre.
Who is to say the German league wasn't weaker, and thus he would naturally concede fewer! Just for one massive issue with going off your stats.
The Premier League was probably one of the weaker top 4 leagues in Europe during the 90s. Only one European cup finalist and most of the best players were in Europe at the time. Stats don't lie.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Maybe he has always been like this and he played a character in his playing days.

lsd

The Oracle
The Premier League was probably one of the weaker top 4 leagues in Europe during the 90s. Only one European cup finalist and most of the best players were in Europe at the time. Stats don't lie.

Nothing at all to do with the nonsense regarding non english players in the squad

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
But they might not tell the whole story.

Andersonson

So are you adding weight to my assessment that Kahn was better? It's hard to tell, but you make a convincing argument.
Schmeichel winning the euro with Denmark is astonishing and maybe not talked about enough when discussing the best goal keepers. He even won player of the tournament.

He was sublime and one of the greatest GK's ever.

Kahn was top class but a notch down from Schmeichel.

Danish Wizard

What a great way to turn the Roy Keane thread into a Schmeichel vs Kahn one.

Keane in todays United midfield - and we would be favorites for the title. He was that good.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Some of Keane's performances for Ireland surpassed even Turin imo. I'd give the edge to Schmeichel over Kahn but realistically there was very little between them. It shouldn't be a particularly controversial take to prefer Kahn.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

0:00-11:47 Reflecting on managing Sunderland & Ipswich 11:48-22:25 Roy’s time with United & his departure, his diet & nights out 22:26-31:07 That row with Schmeichel, his parents, £11,500 for a watch & Instagram 31:08-43:56 Being late, the current state of football, and his time with Ireland 43:57-51:27 Don’t take photos with Roy, swapping shirts, and getting Cleverley to Villa 51:28-58:32 Roy’s lowest point, the management enigma and home life

I can't knock him for wanting to have another crack at management but I can't see a club giving him another gig.

Last edited: