Roy Keane

clarkydaz

Remember when Keane said he would have DDG pinned against a wall in the changing rooms, i assume he would do the same to Ole. Or that would be double standards

Wing Attack Plan R

Try Saul Goodman.
Good call, thanks.
Consider Mike Tyson for a moment: one of the most fearsome boxers who ever lived, a total beast of an athlete… and also a psycho. Tyson went to prison for rape, and bit an opponent’s ear off during a televised fight, yet when he fought it was breathtaking to behold.
One can appreciate Keane’s skill while also condemning what he later turned into.

SirAF

Ageist
Consider Mike Tyson for a moment: one of the most fearsome boxers who ever lived, a total beast of an athlete… and also a psycho. Tyson went to prison for rape, and bit an opponent’s ear off during a televised fight, yet when he fought it was breathtaking to behold.
One can appreciate Keane’s skill while also condemning what he later turned into.
Hardly comparable. You can hardly understand Mike Tyson these days

GueRed

Keane before he doing his knee in, in '97 was a beast, think Kante but better going forward and with good organisational skills.

Went up another level post '98. He was more refined, mature and tactically astute.

1999-2000 he was fecking phenomenal.

Imo 1996 - 2001 were his peak years. World class footballer.

GueRed

Good call, thanks.
Tyson is a convicted Rapist.

Odd comparison

Ixion

Keane before he doing his knee in, in '97 was a beast, think Kante but better going forward and with good organisational skills.

Went up another level post '98. He was more refined, mature and tactically astute.

And when you listen to his former teammates one thing they always say is how ridiculously high his standards were of everybody, in games, in training. He would tear some of our players a new one with the sloppy play we see now.

GueRed

And when you listen to his former teammates one thing they always say is how ridiculously high his standards were of everybody, in games, in training. He would tear some of our players a new one with the sloppy play we see now.
He'd give 7/10 (at least) performances consistently week in week out. And he'd demand that from his teammates. Anything less and he'd let them know.

GueRed

What gets my goat is his technical qualities gets overlooked these days.

Let's get this straight he was a world class player.
So comfortable on the ball everything went through him.

poleglass red

it's criminal how badly appreciated his ability is with some fans.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Some of the posts about Keane are insane. If there was one single player from United’s past that I’d bring into this current squad to elevate it, it would be Keane. Hands down.

Pickle85

Some of the posts about Keane are insane. If there was one single player from United’s past that I’d bring into this current squad to elevate it, it would be Keane. Hands down.
Would make us one of the faves for the CL straight away imo

Oranges038

It's almost like they never saw him play.

Keane's mentality shone through, because he set such a high standard for himself and went out every day to meet it. If he felt others were dropping off even in training he let them know about it.

The bar seems to be set so low all the way through now. There is not one player in the current team that commands respect because they all just play how they feel like playing on any given day. Nobody sets high standards like he did, the base level on some of these players is shocking. There is nobody there to pull them up on it.

redshaw

Keane was just incredible. I used to watch his Ireland matches and he was controlling games against better opposition, was a joy to watch him orchestrate from the middle. Made loads of incisive passes for United, dictates the play, scores important goals with head or feet. He was very progressive and had high demands.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

It doesn't help that for whatever reason he always down played just how good he was a technical football.

Pickle85

Think he would because he wouldn't settle for this utter nonsense. Ole has been given an easy ride because none of the players seem to be so strong/vocal
Yep, exactly this. Would demand much more of everyone. Those coasting would have a rude awakening. That said, agree that under current management it may be a bit of a reach.

Pickle85

How so? The tactics and the way the team play wouldn’t improve. It’s just relying on individual brilliance still
Yeah, I take the point that management would still need improving. That said, I don't agree it would be relying on individual brilliance...Keano was one of those that, though brilliant himself, also managed to wring every ounce of ability out of those around him through sheer will and force of personality. We wouldn't only be bringing a brilliant individual in but one that would make those around him better too.

GueRed

Keane was just incredible. I used to watch his Ireland matches and he was controlling games against better opposition, was a joy to watch him orchestrate from the middle. Made loads of incisive passes for United, dictates the play, scores important goals with head or feet. He was very progressive and had high demands.
+1

Exceptional footballer. World Class.

Not just the tough tackling, shouter borderline nutter his career is often portrayed these days.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Oh man, I used to get these VHS and would rewatch them over and over again. Never seen this interview with Keane, seen the Beckham one and the Schmeichel one. Nostalgia man!

Betson

The main thing with Keane was his sheer consistently of high level performance , unlike some other players you were not wondering which version of Keane would turn up on a a match day , you knew 9/10 that the Keane that would turn up was the midfield general who would dominate his area. Every game was like a world cup final for him and losing would be the worst thing in the world, and that rubs off on other players.

GueRed

The main thing with Keane was his sheer consistently of high level performance , unlike some other players you were not wondering which version of Keane would turn up on a a match day , you knew 9/10 that the Keane that would turn up was the midfield general who would dominate his area. Every game was like a world cup final for him and losing would be the worst thing in the world, and that rubs off on other players.
A manager's dream

GueRed

Oh man, I used to get these VHS and would rewatch them over and over again. Never seen this interview with Keane, seen the Beckham one and the Schmeichel one. Nostalgia man!
Ah yes remember those. When did they stop producing them?

I used to buy the official Man United magazines too, still got the first issue from 1992 somewhere.

lsd

The Oracle
How much would a peak Keane be worth now in the transfer market?

Would have to be at least five times what Declan Rice is worth surely

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Mings should have been arrested for that, and that also qualifies as psycho. The bolded bit isn't true. I read his autobiography. I think Keane's brilliance as a player can be separated from his bloodlust, I don't think they are inextricably linked. I probably should not have commented on this Keane thread because I should have expected this.
:lol:Bit dramatic for a few bad tackles in a long career.

Spoony

The People's President
Bloodlust?!

He went for a British record back then. So he'd probably smash the record not least because of a few multi billionaire clubs wanting to sign him. We'd probably not be able to afford him.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

An all-rounder like him at the age of Rice would command a small fortune.

Even his finishing was good.

Hard to value because I don't even know who I would liken early/mid 20s Keane to these days. Did he even have any weaker points?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Has he left sky ?

Ole would have got a mouthful today if he was present instead of defoe.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

True this. He gets a lot of disrespect on here because of his blunt way of speaking.A true leader.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Keane was an incredible midfielder but from a bygone era. I don't think players should be fearing for their lives when they step on the pitch. That kind of "I'm gonna end your career" shit doesn't belong in sport. Great player, a United legend, and a psycho.
This is such a load of boll@cks! Keane would wipe the floor with most premier league midfields these days. Plus he would lead his team.