Roy Keane

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
What was Keane wrong about today? I thought he was spot on
He’s completely wrong on the Ronaldo situation. Was embarrassing. He had a point regarding the Carrick stuff and the lack of planning etc and the jobs for the boys thing.

hobbers

We are in a weird position now as a fan base where I feel all our ex players completely misunderstand the problems at the club and are wrong in pretty much every aspect when they speak about it.
Keane said the main problem at United is the jobs for the boys culture, "oh he's a decent guy lets keep him in the job even if he's shit", "sign that guy up because he's mates with McKenna" etc.

And he's spot on. That is our main problem.

OverratedOpinion

He talks zero sense. All he ever talks about is character and leadership. To him, everything comes down to that. He's tactically blind and provides zero insight. I'm actually quite baffled how clueless he comes off considering how intelligent and nuanced his own game used to be.
He isn't tactically blind, he was a very intelligent player, has done his coaching badges and was a half decent coach.

He acts like he is tactically blind and only cares about "character" because that plays into the character that gets the soundbites that Sky pay him so handsomely for.

rooney2009

I like Keane but where the feck has He been for the few years
Him and Neville refused to criticise their friend Ole
Fecking Hypocrites

90 + 5min

He talks zero sense. All he ever talks about is character and leadership. To him, everything comes down to that. He's tactically blind and provides zero insight. I'm actually quite baffled how clueless he comes off considering how intelligent and nuanced his own game used to be.
Two things that are most important in winning teams. He don't need to be tactical guru att all. He knows what football is all about if you want to be a winner.

mu4c_20le

I like Keane but where the feck has He been for the few years
Him and Neville refused to criticise their friend Ole
Fecking Hypocrites
Bollox he didn't. He was usually the lone person in the room with a frown even when we won, and one of the first to use the term individual brilliance masking our performances. Thought he had a point today, even though I also have no probelms with what Carrick said either.

Ludens the Red

Exactly, pure strikers aren't really that important anymore.

Another problem with Ronaldo is he doesn't even offer us any hold-up ability to help us keep the ball, he's easily bullied as a no.9.
who would you play in that role then? Who currently at the club who isn’t 100 and always injured could play as a number nine? Hold the ball up? Press? And influence goals? Who do we have that can do that that Ronaldo is keeping out ?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Moaning about jobs for the boys while seemingly never wondering how his mate Ole got the top job and stayed in it for three years.

Josh 76

Exactly, pure strikers aren't really that important anymore.

Another problem with Ronaldo is he doesn't even offer us any hold-up ability to help us keep the ball, he's easily bullied as a no.9.
Or he can’t take any one on now either.

The Ronaldo fans say he has scored important goals when we have been crap, but we play crap because Utd are not good enough to carry him. If Cavani was playing instead of him, maybe we wouldn’t need last min goals to save us and the team performances would be better to win the game more comfortably.

Ronaldo is like the player in the play ground who goal hangs and gets all the goals, but when he isn’t at school, no one mentions him.

CM

He didnt do that though. He correctly raised an issue about accountability and the unease with watching carrick talk about well executed plans and hard work, of which weve seen none for months and he was instrumental in. In recent years at United we've seen Giggs, Carrick, Fletcher, Phelan, and more get big roles at the club so he's spot on about that. We didnt go for the best for loads of essential roles, we went for the best of the people Ed and his cronies liked.
Not what he said.

He said, obviously rightly, that Carrick has been sat in that dugout all season, taking the sessions and basically being second in command, where we've been terrible at every statistical metric from pressing to ground covered to tackling to pass success to ball recoveries to 50/50s.

And yet Carrick was praising the boys for their pressing work all this season. It was a shite interview from Carrick, he looked half deluded half ignorant.
He spent most of that post match criticising the club for being an old boys club, which in isolation is fine, but then chooses to defend his own mates in Ole and Ronaldo.

Carrick said something about having a plan today and Keane blew a gasket asking where the plan was before that. I agree it wasn't a great interview from Carrick but his response was completely disproportionate, and carried through to when Carragher made him look stupid afterwards.

Jev

He isn't tactically blind, he was a very intelligent player, has done his coaching badges and was a half decent coach.

He acts like he is tactically blind and only cares about "character" because that plays into the character that gets the soundbites that Sky pay him so handsomely for.
I don't see Keane as the kind of guy who'd portray himself as a babbling idiot for money. The more likely explanation to me is that he is, simply, a babbling idiot.

Withnail

Think it's a case of those who can do, those who can't teach. Some of the best players are poor pundits because they can't articulate knowledge that is instinctive to them.

OverratedOpinion

I don't see Keane as the kind of guy who'd portray himself as a babbling idiot for money. The more likely explanation to me is that he is, simply, a babbling idiot.
Without being rude, I think you have been sucked in.

He knows what people expect of him and he is cashing in. Do you really believe Roy Keane doesn't understand any of the nuanced tactical aspects of football? He has literally managed moderately well in the Premier League and has his Uefa Pro badges following a career where he was often dictating most of the play.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Jimmy stuck in the middle :lol:

Keane has never seen a problem that wasn't caused by a lack of effort, character or running. Look for any insight or nuance beyond that and he's at sea.
He's entertaining but yeah offers very little in terms of an actual insight. There's a large amounts of pundit who resort to taking the easy option of blaming desire etc, even when there are other far more prominent factors that could be highlighted, and actually dissected in an interesting manner.

Having said that, I do kind of enjoy him trotting out his cliches and arguing with other pundits in a blunt manner. If he suddenly started analysing the game I'd probably be thrown a bit.

Idxomer

who would you play in that role then? Who currently at the club who isn’t 100 and always injured could play as a number nine? Hold the ball up? Press? And influence goals? Who do we have that can do that that Ronaldo is keeping out ?
I would go to the original plan of giving Greenwood more chances as a striker. The new manager should see if he could learn how to press in the next few months and try to increase his workrate.

Next summer we should reevaluate the position, insisting with Ronaldo is going to take this team anywhere.

bosskeano

What was Keane wrong about today? I thought he was spot on
@Crackers I'm right there with you....what exactly did Keane say that was wrong? he agreed that Ronaldo doesn't press, he agreed that he can't start every match and that he was brought to score goals which he's done.

Carragher is a twat and just trying to annoy the piss out of Roy and start an argument

Jev

Without being rude, I think you have been sucked in.

He knows what people expect of him and he is cashing in. Do you really believe Roy Keane doesn't understand any of the nuanced tactical aspects of football? He has literally managed moderately well in the Premier League and has his Uefa Pro badges following a career where he was often dictating most of the play.
I'm sure he's being encouraged to be brash. But I don't buy that he's specifically being asked to show a complete lack of understanding of the game, no. Have you ever seen an interview or another bit of punditry in which Keane has shown any real tactical insight? I think the guy is a buffoon and I believe he coached his teams the same way he pundits. He had an intuitive understanding of the game on the pitch but that doesn't mean he understands it analytically.

rooney2009

Because Liverpool and Chelsea were utter wank, picking up just fecking 69 & 67 points, both looking on course for 85-90 this year.
We were wank last year, and we’ll likely pick up as many points 70-ish this season.
I’m also guessing we took more points of Liverpool,City and Chelsea last season
Football is all about confidence and we played well and controlled games last season, we haven’t controlled a single game this season apart from maybe Leeds.

OverratedOpinion

I'm sure he's being encouraged to be brash. But I don't buy that he's specifically being asked to show a complete lack of understanding of the game, no. Have you ever seen an interview or another bit of punditry in which Keane has shown any real tactical insight?
Not that I remember but your point sort of reinforces mine.

I have no doubt that Roy Keane has a greater tactical understanding of the game than Gary Neville for instance, Gary spouts off about tactics nearly every chance he gets.

Do you really think that Roy couldn't breakdown a midfield performance based on what was done right and what wasn't other than lack of "effort, leadership and belief" if he thought it benefited him to do so? If people on this forum can, I am pretty sure Roy Keane can.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Having followed Keane as both a pundit and manager for years, nothing I've ever heard him say indicates anything other than a shallow knowledge of football beyond "character" and "effort".

You don't need to have a keen football mind to be a good footballer, get your coaching badges or indeed get (limited) decent results as a manager at the level Keane did some 13 years ago with Sunderland.

There's certainly a performative element to his public persona but that shouldn't be mistaken as a sign of hidden depth.

Ludens the Red

I would go to the original plan of giving Greenwood more chances as a striker. The new manager should see if he could learn how to press in the next few months and try to increase his workrate.

Next summer we should reevaluate the position, insisting with Ronaldo is going to take this team anywhere.
I don’t think he needs to play up front for that to necessarily happen and develop in his play. He has been a regular this season up until he got covid and he hasn’t been holding the ball up well, he hasn’t been working hard enough and in fact has developed a few bad traits including taking daft shots from impossible angles.

Although agreeably a new manager might be able to change a few things . We’ll see I guess.

rooney2009

Or he can’t take any one on now either.

The Ronaldo fans say he has scored important goals when we have been crap, but we play crap because Utd are not good enough to carry him. If Cavani was playing instead of him, maybe we wouldn’t need last min goals to save us and the team performances would be better to win the game more comfortably.

Ronaldo is like the player in the play ground who goal hangs and gets all the goals, but when he isn’t at school, no one mentions him.
This
Totally agree with you

CloneMC16

Not what he said.

He said, obviously rightly, that Carrick has been sat in that dugout all season, taking the sessions and basically being second in command, where we've been terrible at every statistical metric from pressing to ground covered to tackling to pass success to ball recoveries to 50/50s.

And yet Carrick was praising the boys for their pressing work all this season. It was a shite interview from Carrick, he looked half deluded half ignorant.
Carrick has said absolutely nothing that Ole wouldn't have said. Apart from when we've gotten heavily beaten, Ole has almost always talked up our performances. Even if it was complete shite. I have never seen Keane question him once. As soon as Ole leaves, he decides now is the time to question what the manager has said after one of our poor performances. I wonder why that is.

He's a shocking pundit. He's there because of who he is and because he can be entertaining. If Keane isn't there, you don't get the shouting match he had with Carragher. That's all Sky want him to do. Neville and Carragher are better than all of these other pundits. It's not even close.

Jev

Not that I remember but your point sort of reinforces mine.

I have no doubt that Roy Keane has a greater tactical understanding of the game than Gary Neville for instance, Gary spouts off about tactics nearly every chance he gets.

Do you really think that Roy couldn't breakdown a midfield performance based on what was done right and what wasn't other than lack of "effort, leadership and belief" if he thought it benefited him to do so? If people on this forum can, I am pretty sure Roy Keane can.
I have seen nothing to suggest he could. Even if his studio character is the hothead, and he plays into that, which he obviously does, you would imagine he'd at least occasionally show a bit of tactical insight if he had any. So yeah, I think he has a very primitive perspective on the game.