Roy Keane's visit to Carrington

imamuppet

This is one of the few reasons I do want Ole in charge.

Bringing in club legends to set the standards. Players like Keane, Scholes, Evra, Vidic, Rio. How much could the current crop learn from those guys?

Imagine Van Nistelrooy coaching Martial or Scholes with Pogba.

It can only benefit the squad. Long may that continue. Ole is humble enough to make this happen and not have too much ego to limit others involvement.
My word...........

SmallCaine

Adults? Could’ve fooled me the way some of them act. Also the failed manager was the clubs greatest captain and a player we could only dream of having in the current setup.
Keane was a great player but the whole greatest captain thing way over played. For most part of his career he shared the dressing room with players who led the team alongside him. Who I would say kept him in check.

Once likes of cantona and schmeichel left, he really wasn't as much a leader as he was a whiner and a bully. If a current utd player went on tv to criticize his teammates or made comments he made, he would be crucified.

Also if this event actually happened ole is an idiot, bringing a guy who criticizes these same players every week and wants them sold and calls them inadequate, to motivate them, has to be one of the stupidest idea anyone can ever have.

KennyBurner

Keane was a great player but the whole greatest captain thing way over played. For most part of his career he shared the dressing room with players who led the team alongside him. Who I would say kept him in check.

Once likes of cantona and schmeichel left, he really wasn't as much a leader as he was a whiner and a bully. If a current utd player went on tv to criticize his teammates or made comments he made, he would be crucified.

Also if this event actually happened ole is an idiot, bringing a guy who criticizes these same players every week and wants them sold and calls them inadequate, to motivate them, has to be one of the stupidest idea anyone can ever have.
Bingo! I wouldn't listen to anything he has to say if I was any of those players. Legend or not doesnt change the fact he is very disrespectful and doesnt know how to give good criticism without being excessive.

Mindhunter

Relax. Ole knows what he is doing - the proof is in the pudding. Sometimes the players need tough love and Keane is the perfect personality to deliver that message.

Obviously, Keane isn't flexible enough to change approach and be empathetic when the situation demands and hence he isn't considered an effective man manager. Keane's whole approach is "listen to your elders, don't question their opinions, give your blood, sweat, and tears when you are in the field, and keep your head down till you make it big". That may work for players with his mentality but it is too narrow an approach to fit all profiles of players, specially foreign recruits.

I am sure Ole won't subject the team to this heart-thumping cries for battle every week. We needed it this week though.

littleman

Bingo! I wouldn't listen to anything he has to say if I was any of those players. Legend or not doesnt change the fact he is very disrespectful and doesnt know how to give good criticism without being excessive.
Dish out disrespect on those who disrespect! Incredible idea!

Don't worry about your ideas getting through to the squad though, no one would listen to a whiner like you.

TsuWave

Couldn’t care less. These club legends need to take a step back, and I’d prefer if Ole did his management/coaching without leaning and appealing so much to medieval times (anything before 2010 might as well be 1200). Not saying this supposed visit was on him, but he needs to tell his ex team-mates to relax and let him do his thing.

and to be honest, I can understand why a player wouldn’t be all too excited to line up and listen to a bunch of cliches and platitudes.

Tiber

I Wouldnt want to listen to him either. Especially if I was one of the players he has been criticising in public for years

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
When you look at the average join date for those slating keane or ole's decision in this, it says enough.

Fergie use to bring in motiviational speakers to talk all the time. What Ole is doing is integrating parts of Manchester United's history back into this group of players. Something the last three clowns had no understanding of or wanted to do. We literally hired Moyes and two Mercenaries who are only in it for themselves.

Evra, Rio, Berba, Ole etc. None of these players were United fans before they joined. They're now as big a reds as you can find.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Some bizarre opinions in this thread. Keane was one of the greatest players of a generation, a legend of the club, why on earth if you had any feelings towards the club yourself, would you not be interested in what he had to say?

M Bison

Supports
York City
When you look at the average join date for those slating keane or ole's decision in this, it says enough.

Fergie use to bring in motiviational speakers to talk all the time. What Ole is doing is integrating parts of Manchester United's history back into this group of players. Something the last three clowns had no understanding of or wanted to do. We literally hired Moyes and two Mercenaries who are only in it for themselves.

Evra, Rio, Berba, Ole etc. None of these players were United fans before they joined. They're now as big a reds as you can find.
Is that true about fergie? Didn’t know that, interesting.

Withnail

Some bizarre opinions in this thread. Keane was one of the greatest players of a generation, a legend of the club, why on earth if you had any feelings towards the club yourself, would you not be interested in what he had to say?
I agree, bringing in a proven winner for a once off motivational speech before a big game is done by sports teams all the time.

This is because it works and it sure as hell worked this week so how can you argue with it?

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I love Keane and this has nothing with him but if i was among those players, i would hate it. I hate when people start with that "old times shit". Different times, different rules, different everything. Ole needs to stop living in the past and talking about it because it is really annoying now.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph

You definitely weren't around when Keane was playing.
He was a leader on the pitch long before he got the armband and went on then to become the best and most successful captain we've ever had.

His mutv interview and some comments he makes on TV, particularly when he's clearly trying to live up to his caricature, can be annoying but as a captain for all those years he never let us down

Zed 101

Because playing career aside the guy is a class A miserable prick

Zen86

Some of the opinions on here are truly bizarre. If Klopp or Guardiola had done something similar, and yielded similar results, it would be a different story.

Tyrion

I bet they all were cringing, I would have cringed as well if the manager kept rolling out his mates to give boring "United way" sermons.
That's what I was thinking. Initially I thought Ole was being clever and winning over the fans with his United way talk but I think he takes it too seriously.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Look, i am older fan. And i love Roy more than any other player. Any. I loved him as a player, i love him as a pundit and i think that he is best captain ever in any sport.
But i am talking about this situation and comparing it with some life situations. I hate when on my job some older colleagues start to talk about past, how things were better, how they did some things on one way and now it is done on another etc...

Living in the past is dangerous thing.

lsd

The Oracle
My money's on Phil Jones. I reckon most of the younger players, especially the ones getting picked, are going to be savvy enough to fake interest if it's something Ole's arranged and values. Jones on the other hand, isn't getting picked, probably feels he's a senior player and is by all indications heading for the exit. Remember that clip of Woodward telling him to shut up the other week? My guess is he's bitter and angry and not hiding it well.

What would Phil Jones disinterested face look like though ?

nainaisson

Lingard was moonwalking behind Keane as he spoke. Shaw eating throughout. Pogba literally getting his haircut. Etc. Etc.
I hope Brandon Williams wasn't sitting next to him. It would explain why he's disappeared so suddenly.

RedTiger

Half mast

I wanted to post something similar. Roy Keane is one of my favorite United players ever, I loved his passion, drive and will to win. I have to say though that I don't consider him our greatest ever captain (I'm talking about the things that a traditional captain is expected to do), my choice would be Bryan Robson but then I might be a little biased.

DoomSlayer

Yeah me too. You can tell the young fans by the moronic hate for one of our best ever players.
Hey man, I'm just about to turn 25 so not that old yet but I always pay my dues to the history of our club. :devil: Keane is a monumental figure, I love listening to him, even if I don't always agree with what he is saying, the guy has an aura about him that is just non-existent in the modern game.

That moment where he was talking in the Sky Sports studio, along with Mourinho, Souness and Neville, about how the club should just go out and buy Kane, he just had them all shook when he said "what are you all staring at", Mourinho had no idea where to look at, he was so uncomfortable, which is a rare sight. :lol: You can just see how easily he can capture the room and make people feel a certain way - it must have been incredible to have such a character as the true leader and captain of the squad.

SteveW

A bit on the nose and cringey imo. They can all see what Keane thinks when he’s on the telly.
Who cares if it's cringey? Whatever works and gets the message across is fine by me. It's a young inexperienced squad. The more good advice and motivaton they get the better. As I already said Ole is trying to build a winning culture and ethos in the squad. Keane is the embodiment of that.

Champagne Football

For around a 5 year period, Keane was the best player on the pitch in every single game. He led by example and inspired those around him to raise their game. The likes of Giggs and Beckham always knew Keane had their back, if an opposing player tried to rough them up, and boy did Keane make his presence felt on any opponents trying to rough up anyone on his side.
He's by far the greatest captain Utd have ever had. He has a presence and an aura that any dressing room even today will respect, if he were to walk in and give a talk. He's up there with the likes of Rijkaard, Gullit, Zico and Seedorf. He was more important to Utd than Van Dijk is to Liverpool.
He came in and gave a talk and suddenly we earn our 2 biggest results under Ole.

He will sadly never succeed as a manager as he is too much of a hot head, and is overly critical of anyone who is unable to be consistently brilliant... But as a motivational speaker, he could really excel in that role.

Last edited:

SteveW

Look, i am older fan. And i love Roy more than any other player. Any. I loved him as a player, i love him as a pundit and i think that he is best captain ever in any sport.
But i am talking about this situation and comparing it with some life situations. I hate when on my job some older colleagues start to talk about past, how things were better, how they did some things on one way and now it is done on another etc...

You've no idea what he told them. I'd imagine he just reminded them what an opportunity they have to play for United and told them to work their arses off. That's what they need to keep hearing. You can already see this message seeping into the squad. You can question their quality but the workrate as been much better this season.

Loon

:lol:
I guess the disinterested player could have been Fred considering Keane’s disparaging remarks about him recently.

Lj82

Quite unfair to call LVG a mercenary. His departure was best for the club but I don't dislike him as a person.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Those pep talks are massively overrated, couldn't care less if some players tuned him out, especially Keane of all people. I get he's a legend, but those talks may work better on younger, impressionable players, not professionals who got trashed by him as a pundit.

spiriticon

Anyone else reckon the 'one player was bored' story was just a motivational tactic?

Similar to the 'I have the names of 3 players who's gonna let us down this season in this envelope' kind thing

mariachi-19

Quite unfair to call LVG a mercenary. His departure was best for the club but I don't dislike him as a person.
I dont either, but he's also a manager that's focus is on his own philosophy. Its good and bad, but he's not going to be one to instill a United culture because he's not part of it. He was a caretake, although admittedly, a good one.

mariachi-19

It's not about living in the past, but creating a winning attitude and culture within the team. As also mentioned in response to this thread, it was probably more surrounding the mentality to win rather than how good it was in his day.

Ferguson created a machine. Part of that machine was that it was always evolving and moving, it wasn't stuck in the past, but it used the past to guide the future.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

When we were a winning machine, SAF always invited Sir Bobby Charlton to talk about our history and Busby Babes, to make players understand what they are representing. It wasn't living in the past, it was to let players know the history of the club from the legend himself who saw everything in this club. It was seen as positive as we were a winning machine, now that we are struggling we are just living in the past.

There is nothing wrong in inviting ex players to talk to current squad, it's not as if he took training sessions, it was just to give them some motivational speech or the standards, none better than the Keane who was praised by almost every ManUtd player who played under him, saying he was the one who set standards both in training and on the pitch.

Gasolin

Those pep talks are massively overrated, couldn't care less if some players tuned him out, especially Keane of all people. I get he's a legend, but those talks may work better on younger, impressionable players, not professionals who got trashed by him as a pundit.
Well, you need them to be motivated to run over the opposition and make them feel it will be useless to delay the inevitable, which are the victory for us. This is the state of mind we need those players to be in, continuously, 24/7. If that's the objective, a pep talk is not overrated. It's the small difference between a winning team and a losing team, at equal quality.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The cult following this guy has is ridiculous. He has a toxic attitude and he lives moaning. Week in week out he moan about our players and slag them off he can't stop stating how they should be sold, so why on earth would people think everyone would be enthusiastic and thrilled to have him give them speeches.

Keane is a born moaner. People love acting as if this guy is some flawless individual yet if any of our players were to publicly slate their teammates they'd be crucified. He can't stop being bitter over SAF for years and keep taking cheap shots at him yet people want to use this guy as an example of what true professional should aspire to.

None of the players owe him any respect. The guy can't even bring himself to fully respect a manager that helped make him the player he was, why do people think a bunch of players who have nothing to do with Keane should just unconditionally respect him especially in light of the fact that every single week he can't wait to slate them on television.

Last edited: