Roy Keane's visit to Carrington

POF

For around a 5 year period, Keane was the best player on the pitch in every single game. He led by example and inspired those around him to raise their game. The likes of Giggs and Beckham always knew Keane had their back, if an opposing player tried to rough them up, and boy did Keane make his presence felt on any opponents trying to rough up anyone on his side.
He's by far the greatest captain Utd have ever had. He has a presence and an aura that any dressing room even today will respect, if he were to walk in and give a talk. He's up there with the likes of Rijkaard, Gullit, Zico and Seedorf. He was more important to Utd than Van Dijk is to Liverpool.
He came in and gave a talk and suddenly we earn our 2 biggest results under Ole.

He will sadly never succeed as a manager as he is too much of a hot head, and is overly critical of anyone who is unable to be consistently brilliant... But as a motivational speaker, he could really excel in that role.
Bang on. I've never seen another player who had more of a positive impact on the performance of his teammates. During his pomp, the difference between United with and without Keane was huge.

How often have you watched Keane talk about United? Even pre match he was moaning about them.

If you're a united player it means you've watched Keane moan about you on TV than otherwise and I won't blame anyone of those players if they weren't interested in what Keane had to say.
It's called "challenging" them. Set standards and hold people accountable for maintaining those standards. Works pretty well in successful sides.

If you can't cope with high expectations, you shouldn't play for United.

I wonder how many times Souness was brought in to speak to Gerrard. I mean it’s just romantic bull. They don’t need to hear from Roy Keane and they don’t need no old boys club crap.
Yet following that was the best United performance in years. A team showing courage in attack, control in midfield and discipline in defence. They went away to the champions and ran them ragged. A real return to the United of old.

Maybe they do need "old boys club crap".

lsd

The Oracle
Should bring in Gordon Ramsey next have him yell at them for an hour and we will beat everyone

Mainoldo

Bang on. I've never seen another player who had more of a positive impact on the performance of his teammates. During his pomp, the difference between United with and without Keane was huge.

It's called "challenging" them. Set standards and hold people accountable for maintaining those standards. Works pretty well in successful sides.

Yet following that was the best United performance in years. A team showing courage in attack, control in midfield and discipline in defence. They went away to the champions and ran them ragged. A real return to the United of old.

Oh yes.. all from Roy Keane and what I great manager he’s turned out to be.

You guys are so thickly it’s funny. Imagine if a rumour came out he got sparked out by Marcus Rojo or something. I’m convinced people will believe Rojo should be our new CM because he’s got passion and heart.

POF

You guys are so thickly it’s funny. Imagine if a rumour came out he got sparked out by Marcus Rojo or something. I’m convinced people will believe Rojo should be our new CM because he’s got passion and heart.
Violence has nothing got to do with passion or heart and had nothing to do with Keane's qualities as a player. It shows an incredible amount of ignorance to be unable to disassociate those 2.

Keane was a fearless competitor but the greatest bravery he showed was his courage to get on the ball when things were going against his team. His greatest strength was his ability to control a game and change the momentum when United were under the cosh. When his team needed someone to step up, it was invariably he who did. That is real leadership.

He played in a midfield with 3 inexperienced kids for many years and led that midfield to being one of the best in Europe. If United had him in this current squad, they would be an infinitely better team.

He relished the pressure of playing for United and when he wore the United shirt he appreciated the standards he needed to perform at. He was relentless in his intensity and will to win, every game. For a team as inconsistent as this United team, that is the sort of message they need to hear.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I don't enjoy Roy Keane threads. It's primarily people calling everyone snowflakes and snowflakes laughing at the oul' lads and yelling 'dinosaur!' at them. Most rational people realise that Roy is not going to cut it as a manager but that there will always be a place for the passing on of experience, wisdom and knowledge from one generation to the next. No way he hasn't connected with someone in that room.

Withnail

I wonder how many times Souness was brought in to speak to Gerrard. I mean it’s just romantic bull. They don’t need to hear from Roy Keane and they don’t need no old boys club crap.
If he was able to impress on the younger players, especially, what it takes to win league titles and how you need to give 100% every single time you walk on the pitch and always win the battle against your opposite number then that's not romantic bull.

You seem to be blinded by a dislike of Roy and possibly Ole. You're not making a rational or logical argument especially given it quite clearly had the desired effect.

OL29

Thats the state of this place nowadays... Guys who moan relentlessly think he shouldn't be there and players don't have anything to hear from him. From the guy who made United what it is. But but but it may hurt sensitive souls of some players..
That’s a gross over exaggeration and pretty disrespectful to a number of figures at the club.

OL29

I have to admit, I do find discussions about Roy Keane on here quite strange, you have one extreme where he’s talked about as some Neanderthal brute who was all about passion and effort, disregarding his abilities, experiences and knowledge regarding the game and on the other hand you have people talking about him as some model professional without fault, who single-handedly returned us to the pinnacle of football, which is clearly untrue given his, usually alcohol-fuelled, discretions. I get that he’s a polarising figure but discussions surrounding him on this site always lack balance.

youngrell

All I have got from this thread is that some people will use any stick available to beat the manager with.

We just had two blinding wins, so bringing Keane in clearly wasn't a negative thing.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I like that Keane did that. Felt like we lost him there for quite a while, to me anyway. Felt like he was no longer 'one of ours'.

Ban

That’s a gross over exaggeration and pretty disrespectful to a number of figures at the club.
How exactly is that exaggeration (and over and gross to add) or disrespectful? I didn't say he did it all by himself of course..

Santoryo

ripping the reward

No, berating someone isn't challenging them. Keane constantly with his grumpy self complains about United and downright trash some of those players. Challenging them would be giving fair criticism and urging them to step up, not his attempt at keeping his "tough guy, no nonsense, straight shooter" reputation he's built himself by trashing those players and using them to enhance and maintain his reputation about being a grumpy man.

Mainoldo

If he was able to impress on the younger players, especially, what it takes to win league titles and how you need to give 100% every single time you walk on the pitch and always win the battle against your opposite number then that's not romantic bull.

You seem to be blinded by a dislike of Roy and possibly Ole. You're not making a rational or logical argument especially given it quite clearly had the desired effect.
No I just have a real problem with the passionesters on here who assume because we aren’t winning titles our players need shouting at and ‘kick up the arse’. It’s boring and unrealistic.

OL29

How exactly is that exaggeration (and over and gross to add) or disrespectful? I didn't say he did it all by himself of course..
With or without Roy Keane, United has always been one of the biggest clubs in the world, he didn’t make united what we are by any measure, he played a massive part in our previous along with many others.

hubbuh

I don't enjoy Roy Keane threads. It's primarily people calling everyone snowflakes and snowflakes laughing at the oul' lads and yelling 'dinosaur!' at them. Most rational people realise that Roy is not going to cut it as a manager but that there will always be a place for the passing on of experience, wisdom and knowledge from one generation to the next. No way he hasn't connected with someone in that room.
It's genuinely bizarre that fans of this club can take issue with one of its biggest and most important ever players coming in to meet and talk to the current lot. Even weirder still that it happened right around the time that we beat Spurs and Man City! I know it's nice to have a moan but christ.

Ban

With or without Roy Keane, United has always been one of the biggest clubs in the world, he didn’t make united what we are by any measure, he played a massive part in our previous along with many others.
Ok he made a massive part in making United what it is today. Is this OK with you? Can it pass?

Ban

You're right. If Mainoldo says they shouldn't hear from Roy Keane that's it. We're just a bunch of passionesters or whatever the word you made up. One visit from Keane and the regular moaners go up in arms. Oh the irony.

Ban

No, berating someone isn't challenging them. Keane constantly with his grumpy self complains about United and downright trash some of those players. Challenging them would be giving fair criticism and urging them to step up, not his attempt at keeping his "tough guy, no nonsense, straight shooter" reputation he's built himself by trashing those players and using them to enhance and maintain his reputation about being a grumpy man.
You're seeing things.

Mainoldo

Violence has nothing got to do with passion or heart and had nothing to do with Keane's qualities as a player. It shows an incredible amount of ignorance to be unable to disassociate those 2.

Keane was a fearless competitor but the greatest bravery he showed was his courage to get on the ball when things were going against his team. His greatest strength was his ability to control a game and change the momentum when United were under the cosh. When his team needed someone to step up, it was invariably he who did. That is real leadership.

He played in a midfield with 3 inexperienced kids for many years and led that midfield to being one of the best in Europe. If United had him in this current squad, they would be an infinitely better team.

He relished the pressure of playing for United and when he wore the United shirt he appreciated the standards he needed to perform at. He was relentless in his intensity and will to win, every game. For a team as inconsistent as this United team, that is the sort of message they need to hear.
What does all that have to do with him coming to training to see the lads?

Withnail

No I just have a real problem with the passionesters on here who assume because we aren’t winning titles our players need shouting at and ‘kick up the arse’. It’s boring and unrealistic.
Who said anyone need shouting at or kicking up the arse?

Have I missed something?

He's a lot more intelligent then you seem to be giving him credit for and can be a very charismatic speaker when on form.

Mainoldo

Who said anyone need shouting at or kicking up the arse?

Have I missed something?

He's a lot more intelligent then you seem to be giving him credit for and can be a very charismatic speaker when on form.
My thoughts exactly!!

DoomSlayer

You're right. If Mainoldo says they shouldn't hear from Roy Keane that's it. We're just a bunch of passionesters or whatever the word you made up. One visit from Keane and the regular moaners go up in arms. Oh the irony.
I'm so happy I have this guy on ignore, but the new forum software does not hide comments when someone quotes ignored members, unfortunately.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We just had two blinding wins, so bringing Keane in clearly wasn't a negative thing.
So has it been factually corroborated that Keane did in fact visit Carrington, before the 2 games?

Sterling Archer

Surely there must be someone thing on social media if Keane was indeed at Carrington.
United is terrible at this. Given that in this day and age digital content is so highly valued, you'd think we would be more on top of things like this. Some of the content other clubs put out is class. As I've said before, Woodward is a clown. Otherwise he'd have spent more time and investment in actually furthering our brand as a sort of balance to offset the football hiccups. But nope, all he knows is sponsorships.

clarkydaz

I like that Keane did that. Felt like we lost him there for quite a while, to me anyway. Felt like he was no longer 'one of ours'.
yes I agree. considering the club have never welcomed him back since, and even ignored him for the 99' celebration in the summer it was great of Ole to welcome him back. regardless whether the players benefit from it he at least deserves it

Gasolin

They obviously need it because if they had that in mind, they would not concede the equaliser that makes them lose 4 bloody pts against Sheffield and Villa. In fact, if they heard that pep talk and understood what United was about, they would be ok playing bad but they would go grab the 3 pts when they had the opportunity and not let it go whatsoever.

Mainoldo

They obviously need it because if they had that in mind, they would not concede the equaliser that makes them lose 4 bloody pts against Sheffield and Villa. In fact, if they heard that pep talk and understood what United was about, they would be ok playing bad but they would go grab the 3 pts when they had the opportunity and not let it go whatsoever.
So they needed Roy Keane to tell them that? Maybe we should give him the managers Job instead.

I’m pretty sure he was just there in a visit nothing else. No motivation boost, no tactical insight. Just a visit.

Hughie77

Ole, and Keane get on I think, if he give them a kick up the ass, it worked, I don't think he be a regular visitor, or more?.. he's been at loads of clubs and burnt bridges were ever he's been. Big character but goes over the top at times. Nice to hear he's been back though.

alexthelion

It doesn't matter how good or bad Roy Keane was as a manager, that wasn't why he was there.

If the current players cannot take anything away from listening to a real club legend then you have to question whether they should play for United.

VJ1762

Can't believe so many people hate Roy fecking Keane. His departure from the club might have been acrimonious, but he was instrumental in us becoming the dominant English team under Fergie. I hope the players listened to whatever our greatest ever captain was saying.

klayton88

On meeting Pogba:
"I'd waited long enough. I f****** hit him hard. His barber was there (I think). Take that you c***. And don't ever miss three months with a fake injury"