Film RRR (Indian Movie making waves on Netflix)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Has anyone else watched this yet? It's one of the rare Indian movies (probably the first one since Lagaan?) that has managed to cut through the Western barrier and has actually gained some traction in the U.S - and I'm pretty sure it was breaking the top 10 on Netflix over here too at some point.

And with good reason to be fair, it is absolutely feckin' bonkers - a proper live action cartoon (I think the thing it reminded me of most is Kung Fu Hustle?) that has some of the most insane, over-the-top sequences you are likely to see on screen. It's also got musical numbers (obviously), comedy, romance, a sweeping story, the English being dicks, CGI Tigers, and frankly, all the homo-eroticisim that Top Gun Maverick was supposed to have but lacked.

It's currently sitting on an 8.0 on imdb, 91% on RT and 84% on Metacritic... and even though it is 3 hours, I'd say its worthy of your time - especially as there's a pretty clear break about half way through the film so you can watch it in two sittings if needs be (almost feels like it's two movies in one)

Sylar

Saw this in the cinema and really enjoyed it. (cinema normally has a break for the bollywood movies and usually helps given the run time).

I thought it was bonkers fantastic too.

buchansleftleg

I think for me the last hour doesn't have the impact of the first 2 hours, but I think that's probably a cultural thing as it's clearly alluding to ancient Indian mythical stories that I just don't know enough about. These scenes probably mean much more to people who grew up with those stories. However the earlier scenes are just STUNNING and amazing storytelling. It's great to watch and maybe makes English people understand how their historical "greatness" was so good for people in the empire.

The first key dance scene is just amazing physicality - it's like there are 2 Gene Kelly's onscreen. Both seem to bring that dance and masculinity that previously only Gene had in Musical theatre. I would suggest avoiding watching the trailer, so you can enjoy the jaw dropping action scenes....you will want to watch them at least twice!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Has anyone else watched this yet? It's one of the rare Indian movies (probably the first one since Lagaan?) that has managed to cut through the Western barrier and has actually gained some traction in the U.S - and I'm pretty sure it was breaking the top 10 on Netflix over here too at some point.

And with good reason to be fair, it is absolutely feckin' bonkers - a proper live action cartoon (I think the thing it reminded me of most is Kung Fu Hustle?) that has some of the most insane, over-the-top sequences you are likely to see on screen. It's also got musical numbers (obviously), comedy, romance, a sweeping story, the English being dicks, CGI Tigers, and frankly, all the homo-eroticisim that Top Gun Maverick was supposed to have but lacked.

It's currently sitting on an 8.0 on imdb, 91% on RT and 84% on Metacritic... and even though it is 3 hours, I'd say its worthy of your time - especially as there's a pretty clear break about half way through the film so you can watch it in two sittings if needs be (almost feels like it's two movies in one)
I wouldnt have looked at this if I hadnt seen this thread. Im only 30 minutes in but loving it. So beautifully filmed, has tons of cliches but they are so well done they are really cool. A masterpiece.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wouldnt have looked at this if I hadnt seen this thread. Im only 30 minutes in but loving it. So beautifully filmed, has tons of cliches but they are so well done they are really cool. A masterpiece.
Great! I figured when I made this thread that if I could get one person to watch it then that would be a result!

Let me know what you think of the remaining 2 hours and 30 minutes!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It indeed has gotten very popular even in film critic circle in Hollywood. The director of this movie has developed a panache for over the top action sequences that are on par with Hollywood movies when it comes to special effects or cinematography.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Great! I figured when I made this thread that if I could get one person to watch it then that would be a result!

Let me know what you think of the remaining 2 hours and 30 minutes!
Loved it, not the sort of thing I normally watch but really enjoyed it. I did split it into 2 viewing sessions.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I stopped watching Indian movies a long time back and don’t plan to get into it again. Too long, too much overacting, too much that revolves around the “hero” in an egoistic way, too much steroids and how vain the actors are on screen.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I stopped watching Indian movies a long time back and don’t plan to get into it again. Too long, too much overacting, too much that revolves around the “hero” in an egoistic way, too much steroids and how vain the actors are on screen.
Yeah, all Indian movies are the same.

kthanksbye

I can't believe this movie is making noises internationally, I forgot I even watched this a couple of months ago, till I saw this thread. What are people even liking?