RTS (Real Time Strategy)

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Hi,

I'm a big fan of strategy games, particularly RTS (Real Time Strategy).

Real-time strategy (RTS) is a sub-genre of strategy video game which does not progress incrementally in turns.
They seem to be split into time era's, where 3 crop up most often.

Fantasy
StarCraft etc

Medieval
Warcraft III
Age of Empires I & II
Age of Mythology
Total War Series (Mentioning Rome I)
The Settlers
Civilization

Current
C&C

The reason I decided to create a thread on it is because I find a lack of these sort of games are being produced now. Rome II was a flop at first, and although I've read that applying extensive patching and buying the new upgrade still only goes some way to defeating a daft AI and other strange
occurrences.

A lot of MMO RTS are being created, specifically for the mobile platform. I've played nearly every title to date on both Android and iOs and there is one game that stands above all others to date and has kept me hocked for over a year... Spartan Wars

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tap4fun.spartanwar&hl=en_GB

So, does anyone else have any good strategy games? Or know of any upcoming ones?

Also I don't think it would be crazy to say that games are coming away from PC's and onto more portable hardware such as tablet/phone. I do think that a lot of future titles for strategy will think perhaps about releasing their game on a mobile platform. Would you agree?

Does anyone else currently play any strategy games on a mobile operating system?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I'm not good at them, so only playing campaigns against the computer. Currently playing Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten expansion, and I'm not really enjoying it much, way less than original Age of Empires II.

Starcraft's fun to replay every couple of years, but my favourite is one you're missing in your list, Homeworld. 3-D space RTS game.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I'm not good at them, so only playing campaigns against the computer. Currently playing Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten expansion, and I'm not really enjoying it much, way less than original Age of Empires II.Starcraft's fun to replay every couple of years, but my favourite is one you're missing in your list, Homeworld. 3-D space RTS game.
Homeworld? I haven't heard of it strangely, who's it made by? And StarCraft a lot of people go back to, anything by Blizzard is usually safe. AOE2 forgotten exp? Not heard of that either, but I do remember the lambo cars I used in AEOII :lol: (With the cheat)

Commandos, best strategy game ever. My world became sad after they stopped making it.
As in C&C? Or Commando's? Very modern war based isn't it? Can't say I ever found it easy to get into those games..

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Yeah, how do you turn this on. :D

Forgotten is an expansion for this new release of AOEII, which supports higher resolutions and was aptly named Age of Empires II HD.

Homeworld was made by Relic Entertainment, I know them only by Homeworld, but they are known for some Warhammer 40,000 games and Company of Heroes.

Homeworld is brilliant, I'd recommend it to anyone. Highly regarded by pretty much everyone, and still, in this time and age, as beautiful as ever. Great story and audio as well.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Commandos is not modern war, we kill Nazis there. :cool:

Guess it is RTS, but without resource management, and with just a few playable characters. Addictive as hell.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Interesting, based on that. I may look for the expansion pack tonight. If you kill Nazi's, that's more modern than fantasy or medieval my point was... best way to think of it is swords, guns and lasers.

Do you know of any recent titles? I bought Rome II the other day but still haven't installed it yet...
I take It your not a fan of mobile gaming?

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I fecking loved Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and it's expansions. Damn i pumped so much of my life into that game. Haven't really gotten into an RTS since though, i've played Total War games like Rome, Medieval II, Empire and Shogun II but for me, the best part of those games was the campaign map as opposed to the actual battles :lol:

I'm half considering getting hold of the Company of Heroes games and giving those a whirl, if i find the time that is.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Haven't played the new one, but the first Company of Heroes is easily the best RTS game I have ever played.

I was a big fan of Stronghold as a kid, I feel now that it might have been pretty basic in comparison to others though.

Did anyone play the Lord of The Rings RTS Games? Battle for Middle Earth?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I loved Battle for Middle-Earth as a kid. Got really annoyed at the cap on how many units you could have though, and they released a sequel in which you had to build your own castles, rather than starting in pre-made ones, but they also added an army that could traverse the walls with ease, making them completely redundant.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Commandos is not modern war, we kill Nazis there. :cool:

Guess it is RTS, but without resource management, and with just a few playable characters. Addictive as hell.
"I'm comin" - The Green Berret

God the memories.

"Yeeessss?" - The Sniper.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
"I'm comin" - The Green Berret

God the memories.

"Yeeessss?" - The Sniper.
And still looks lovely.

Just had to get it and replay it after being reminded of it here. If I remember correctly, the game can be quite hard, and there's no handholding.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Effin love BFME 1 and 2 and C&C and Warcraft 3...

Havent got into Starcraft mainly because I don't know many people who play it, and single player is always a little dull

But the music and number of units on BFME 1 and 2 made the games incredible (even though the races were unbalanced and the AI terrible).

Revan

Assumptionman
Age of Empires II (with the Conquerors expansion) was a brilliant game. I loved it and played quite a lot with my mates. Wasn't ever the bestest player (or near it) but still it was a great fun. The original Rome was a vry good game too. I also gave a shoot to League of Legends but when I started it my mates were good players so I left it after a couple of days. Age of Mythology was a shit game, played it only for a day or so.

That's all from me. If there is any AOE fan here we may have a WAN party although now likely I am very shit at it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

BFME was awesome. Not played the 2nd yet.

I actually preferred playing the Evil campaign to the Good but it was great that there was both as it gave you different challenges and paths you could take, also allowed you to use all of the different units which was fun.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Anyone know of any newer RTS MMO games? Irrespective of the platform... I've seen a few browser one's like Anno/Settlers/FOrge of Empires but it all looks very cartoonized with too much on the social aspect.

I still play Spartan Wars:Empire of Honor as it's the best MMO RTS out there on ANY console IMO, the only thing is it's very hard not to get drawn into the in-app purchases when your clan is at war and someone's mouthing off :lol: