Rubbish goals that won trophies

Gazza

Oliver Bierhoff’s name came up in the Hardest Shots thread, got me thinking about that winning goal (Golden Goal?) he scored in the Euro 96 final. It was an alright shot, but it was deflected en route to at the Czech keeper and it just spun off his gloves and into the net. I’m not saying goalie should have saved it, that’s not the point, just seemed like a really rubbish way for a tournament to end. The fact is was a golden goal too just made it worse.

What other examples are there of trophies being won with a spawny or memorably unmemorable goal?

TsuWave

Ole’s in 99. Memorable but a rubbish goal to be fair

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Liverpool's goal to complete their comeback against Milan in 2005. Rebound from a missed penalty won with a shocking Stevie Starfish dive.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Inzaghi's opener in Milan 2-1 win against Liverpool for the CL 2007 final, that cheek deflection on a Pirlo direct free kick - that he obviously celebrated like he'd hit a bicycle kick from thirdy yards...

The funny thing is, that seemingly random stroke of luck was actually a reharsed play.
Inzaghi used to move that way towards the goal on the side of the barrier on every short range free kick by Pirlo, and he actually already scored like that in a Inter derby in 2003 and against Empoli in 2006.

So maybe that elevates it form rubbish to somehow cunning, I dunno.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Oliver Bierhoff’s name came up in the Hardest Shots thread, got me thinking about that winning goal (Golden Goal?) he scored in the Euro 96 final. It was an alright shot, but it was deflected en route to at the Czech keeper and it just spun off his gloves and into the net. I’m not saying goalie should have saved it, that’s not the point, just seemed like a really rubbish way for a tournament to end. The fact is was a golden goal too just made it worse.

What other examples are there of trophies being won with a spawny or memorably unmemorable goal?
This was the first one that came to mind when I saw the thread title. The golden goal was gash.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Robben's bungled shot which trickled over the line in the 2013 CL final.

Roberto Carlos' piledriver blocked by a Juve defender and falling kindly for Mijatovic, who rounded the already diving keeper in the 1998 CL final.

pass.pass.pass

Doesn't strictly meet the criteria, but surely every Lampard goal that was deflected and contributed in Chelsea winning the league.

Did he ever score a non-deflected goal?

heehee

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Ronaldo‘s goal against Kahn in 2002.
The first one.

Might be controversial, as it was a difficult chance. But I’ve always thought Cantona’s goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup was a crap goal.

Haddock

Got to be Charisteas' goal for Greece. He was as bad a player as Eder.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Got to be Charisteas' goal for Greece. He was as bad a player as Eder.
Hah, Charisteas. We bought him from Ajax when he was their 4th striker. Still our worst piece of transfer business of all time if you ask me.

Well, Liam Kelly wasn't a world beater either I guess.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not so much a rubbish goal but rubbish defending from Barca against L'pool in the 2019 CL semi-final with that corner.

Grande

Ole’s in 99. Memorable but a rubbish goal to be fair
What the f ... kind of opinion is that? If a goal from a corner kick can be beautiful, how more beautiful does it get than that? Brilliant corner kick by one of the best feet ever around, incisively placed for a perfectly timed run and jump by an aerial king, a surgean of the headed ball, and a volley shot in the net of the roof by a ferocious predator known as the baby-faced assasin - three expert moves rolled into one second: Click-clack-boom!

Skill, speed, precision, instinct and luck rolled into one, undefendable, 1 out of 10 the same way a shot in the top corner or a mazy run with a deft chip is. You must be a Bayern fan or have a very narrow idea of what makes football beautiful and skilfull to label that goal rubbish.

Grande

Might be controversial, as it was a difficult chance. But I’ve always thought Cantona’s goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup was a crap goal.
Even stranger - that’s a very difficult shot, expertly placed, weighted and bent, half volley and jumping backwards, from outside the box past ten defenders. That’s a piece of art worthy of the artist who made it.

Grande

Liverpool's goal to complete their comeback against Milan in 2005. Rebound from a missed penalty won with a shocking Stevie Starfish dive.
As hard as I would like to be objective, there is no getting past Liverpools win against Spurs in 2019. Game has hardly started before it’s killed by a greasy Mane exploits a stupid Sissoko to trigger the dystopic VAR to implement the most meaningless and counterintuitive rule change I’ve seen, which was effective from that day for the first time, turning a bad and harmless cross into a CL winning penalty. Hatref and anticlimax along so many simultaneus lines that I get sick to the stomach just writing about it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Solskjaer's goal was good. Sheringham's was crap. Him and Giggs both mis-kicked it but I think any other way and it wouldn't have gone in.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Inzaghi's opener in Milan 2-1 win against Liverpool for the CL 2007 final, that cheek deflection on a Pirlo direct free kick - that he obviously celebrated like he'd hit a bicycle kick from thirdy yards...

The funny thing is, that seemingly random stroke of luck was actually a reharsed play.
Inzaghi used to move that way towards the goal on the side of the barrier on every short range free kick by Pirlo, and he actually already scored like that in a Inter derby in 2003 and against Empoli in 2006.

This is genius and should be done more often man. This is crazy.

Twingatz

People talking about Lukaku's own goal in the EL final yet forget about Mandzukic's own goal in the World Cup final. It was pretty bad.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

That's honestly pretty awesome.

To be fair to Inzaghi, he'd run off screaming like he'd won the World Cup even if he'd just scored a scuffed tap-in for the last goal in a 13-0 win against the Dog and Duck. Probably part of why he's one of my favourite non-United players ever. :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah that goal was class! The game was shit though, boring game with one piece of magic.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Does going from 2-1 to 3-1 in a final, and essentially sealing the deal counts as a winning goal?

Because if it does, Bale`s last goal against Liverpool(not the wonder goal) was embarassing goalkeeping by Karius.

Last edited:

Red Stone

Salah's penalty against Spurs. Shite VAR-assisted penalty due to shite new handball rules and it came in the first minute of the game, which completely ruined the entire game as a spectacle. And it led to that steaming bunch of twats winning it, which is the worst thing of all. Just an all-round crime against football.