Ruben Dias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

The fact that it’s a defensive signing by Pep, I fully expect him to fail. Pep’s defensive record for signings has been atrocious.

Ekeke

What are your thoughts on him, any good?
Pep? In midfield and attack yes, terrible with his defences.

Ruben Dias? Decent defender but will stand out more for looking good on the ball and can win the ball in the air. So basically he's exactly the same as Stones and Laporte, City will have the same issues they've had before. A weak defense.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pep? In midfield and attack yes, terrible with his defences.

Ruben Dias? Decent defender but will stand out more for looking good on the ball and can win the ball in the air. So basically he's exactly the same as Stones and Laporte, City will have the same issues they've had before. A weak defense.
Yeah I meant Dias. By the sounds of it he's not someone we should be massively bothered that they're getting.

Ekeke

Yeah I meant Dias. By the sounds of it he's not someone we should be massively bothered that they're getting.
In my opinion certainly not. I started a thread on the football forum about the record of CBs coming over from the portuguese league and how they usually fail after some posters were talking about how we should have signed Dias instead of Maguire. So that should tell you I'm confident.

But its just my opinion. Thanks to Pep and City's circus in defense today we'll see how good Ruben Dias really is and we can look at the evidence instead of football manager like those posters.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I haven’t seen him much, mainly for Portugal, but he looked very assured when I’ve watched.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Guardiola really is in a league of his own when it comes to spending on defence, and that's coming from a club who spent £80m on Maguire.
I have no football background but with same budget and same players, quite sure I win about as many trophies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
@SportingCP96 Whsr do you think?
I have mentioned before my thoughts on him but I will give a quick summary.

Ruben Dias I believe would of benefited staying 1 more season with Benfica under a very good and defensive coach in JJ who he would of learned a lot under.

As for his ability to succeed elsewhere I have reserved opinions. He is tall, strong, and has some quickness too him but I feel he has too many defensive lapses to make it at the top level, he also gets away with a lot of reckless challenges and cards mostly because he plays for Benfica. In comparison Lindelof was a better player at Benfica then Ruben Dias has been, You could make an argument maybe they reached the same peaks for Benfica but we saw how Lindelof turned out and I feel Ruben Dias will have the same turn out.

My feeling is he will flop at City but I could be wrong. I get torn sometimes because for the national team he has been really solid the past few games so there has been improvement but I am leaning the other way. The max I see him becoming is a solid squad player for City but in terms of being a world class starting CB for an EPL Champion caliber team or CL winner team I just don't see it.

I could be wrong but from watching him the past 3 seasons that's the opinion I have towards him.

As I said though staying with Benfica could of been very important for his development now that JJ is at the helm.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Ruben Dias I believe would of benefited staying 1 more season with Benfica under a very good and defensive coach in JJ who he would of learned a lot under.

As for his ability to succeed elsewhere I have reserved opinions. He is tall, strong, and has some quickness too him but I feel he has too many defensive lapses to make it at the top level, he also gets away with a lot of reckless challenges and cards mostly because he plays for Benfica. In comparison Lindelof was a better player at Benfica then Ruben Dias has been, You could make an argument maybe they reached the same peaks for Benfica but we saw how Lindelof turned out and I feel Ruben Dias will have the same turn out.

My feeling is he will flop at City but I could be wrong. I get torn sometimes because for the national team he has been really solid the past few games but I am leaning the other way. The max I see him becoming is a solid squad player for City but in terms of being a world class starting CB for an EPL Champion caliber team or CL winner team I just don't see it.

I could be wrong but from watching him the past 3 seasons that's the opinion I have towards him.

As I said though staying with Benfica could of been very important for his development now that JJ is at the helm.
Thanks mate. Superb as ever

SinNombre

My opinion? Militao much better. Dias lacks intelligence and not good enough playing out from the back. If there’s any link ignore it or if anyone is interested in him I hope I am wrong.
Is Militao still much better?

NYAS

My feeling is he will flop at City but I could be wrong. I get torn sometimes because for the national team he has been really solid the past few games so there has been improvement but I am leaning the other way. The max I see him becoming is a solid squad player for City but in terms of being a world class starting CB for an EPL Champion caliber team or CL winner team I just don't see it.

I watched 99% of Flamengo’s games under JJ and am shocked you are describing him as defensive.

He was known for being extremely insistent on his CBs playing a high line and he was devastated to lose Pablo Mari to Arsenal because he believed he was the only CB he had who could actually play a high-line, and he mentioned several times that Brazilian CBs have difficulty doing this which is why he relied a lot on Mari. Some of the games he managed for Flamengo felt like I was watching hockey instead of football.

Could it be that he was always a defensive manager and changed his style just for Brazil? I didn’t see much of him before Flamengo but no other possibility would make sense to me.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I watched 99% of Flamengo’s games under JJ and am shocked you are describing him as defensive.

He was known for being extremely insistent on his CBs playing a high line and he was devastated to lose Pablo Mari to Arsenal because he believed he was the only CB he had who could actually play a high-line, and he mentioned several times that Brazilian CBs have difficulty doing this which is why he relied a lot on Mari. Some of the games he managed for Flamengo felt like I was watching hockey instead of football.

Could it be that he was always a defensive manager and changed his style just for Brazil? I didn’t see much of him before Flamengo but no other possibility would make sense to me.
He can be defensive at times but yeah he's mostly known for his expansive attacking football. His previous Benfica team played great football, us not so much when he was around but we didn't have anywhere near the same quality.

SportingCP96

Supports
He can be defensive at times but yeah he's mostly known for his expansive attacking football. His previous Benfica team played great football, us not so much when he was around but we didn't have anywhere near the same quality.
Our peak was certainty 15/16 but the other seasons were not as pretty.

SportingCP96

Supports

Not defensive in the form of Mourinho for example but he is very strict and hard on his players and demands noting but 120%. Players under him always improve or play above there normal level. Almost every player he has coached has said he was one of if not the best coach they have had which is not surprising given the success he has had.

His first spell in Benfica was brilliant which culminated with back to back European finals and then at Sporting the 15/16 was the best football we played in about 20 years and we broke the record for points in a season before being surpassed. In head to head fixtures we dominated Benfica, Porto, and Braga, dismantling them home and away with ease. In fact our only loss in those games cost us the title along with other circumstances. Then in Flamengo he was very successful and won them the coveted Copa Libertadores which now leads us to this second stint in Benfica.

Chances are he is going to clean house this season as I suspect them to win the league quite comfortably.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Strange. I thought he was that highly regarded and City and have picked him and Ake to fix their defence.

Nero

People have hyped all of their defensive signings for the best part of a decade.

This place lost its shit when they signed Mangala ffs.

archiebald

Though he's not the physical specimen Koulibaly is, Dias looks like a fantastic signing for City nonetheless. Seems to have slotted into their backline with ease - made key interceptions and blocks in the Arsenal game exhibiting his game awareness, and looks fast and strong enough to tussle in the PL.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Though he's not the physical specimen Koulibaly is, Dias looks like a fantastic signing for City nonetheless. Seems to have slotted into their backline with ease - made key interceptions and blocks in the Arsenal game exhibiting his game awareness, and looks fast and strong enough to tussle in the PL.
First impression of him playing (against Arsenal) he looks good. Looks better than Lindelof. But @SportingCP96 describes him like another Otamendi (Which isn't bad).

Status
Not open for further replies.