Ruben Dias

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Benfica CB that we're being heavily linked with (along with Jaoa Felix). Anyone know anything about him? Good enough to be our defensive saviour?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His name has been floated around for quite some time now. The other promising young central defender in Portugal, besides Eder Militao.

Thankfully, we've got quite a few Portuguese experts on the Caf.
@SportingCP96 @SCP @Peyroteo what you say?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
His name has been floated around for quite some time now. The other promising young central defender in Portugal, besides Eder Militao.

He's not yet european top club material IMHO. He's a strong center back, but no complete enough to be on his own. With a solid partner I think he could be a very good signing.

Manchester United should seek other targets, a more complete and dominant center back.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

My opinion? Militao much better. Dias lacks intelligence and not good enough playing out from the back. If there’s any link ignore it or if anyone is interested in him I hope I am wrong.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's not yet european top club material IMHO. He's a strong center back, but no complete enough to be on his own. With a solid partner I think he could be a very good signing.

Manchester United should seek other targets, a more complete and dominant center back.
Should have pinged you first, given you actually support Benfica! So you're saying we should only sign him if we are getting Koulibaly also :wenger:

Seeing as I've got you here, how highly do rate Florentino Luis? Is he ready to be the defensive linchpin in midfield for top European clubs?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
My opinion? Militao much better. Dias lacks intelligence and not good enough playing out from the back. If there’s any link ignore it or if anyone is interested in him I hope I am wrong.
OK, so no ringing endorsements. That's a pity.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Better or worse than Lindelof when he was with you?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Should have pinged you first, given you actually support Benfica! So you're saying we should only sign him if we are getting Koulibaly also :wenger:

Seeing as I've got you here, how highly do rate Florentino Luis? Is he ready to be the defensive linchpin in midfield for top European clubs?
Don't see any reason to buy Dias if you get Koulibaly. Lindelof was actually in a more advanced development stage when he left Benfica and he still struggles nowadays.

Florentino Luís is a natural born talent, but let's see how does he deals when the "being new to the first team" motivation levels drops, to see how much does he desires this.
But he looks like the real deal. A very intelligent midfielder.

Ther ony center back I would take from Primeira Liga would be Filipe, who despite being a c*nt, is a very good center back.

We have some great young defenders coming, but they are still very raw.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Better or worse than Lindelof when he was with you?
Lindelof was at a better level, mainly because he would be like having an extra midfielder. Ruben Dias has a different profile: he's an athletic, fast, strong and very aggresive defender and not the best player with the ball on his feet.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Don't see any reason to buy Dias if you get Koulibaly. Lindelof was actually in a more advanced development stage when he left Benfica and he still struggles nowadays.

Florentino Luís is a natural born talent, but let's see how does he deals when the "being new to the first team" motivation levels drops, to see how much does he desires this.
But he looks like the real deal. A very intelligent midfielder.

Ther ony center back I would take from Primeira Liga would be Filipe, who despite being a c*nt, is a very good center back.

We have some great young defenders coming, but they are still very raw.
Thanks for the insight. Hope City don't clean up all the Portuguese talent :(

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
OK, so no ringing endorsements. That's a pity.
If he has any link to England only imagine him playing regularly for Wolves, if United wants to strengthen that area there are better options around.

Dong Fangzhuo

Lindelof was at a better level, mainly because he would be like having an extra midfielder. Ruben Dias has a different profile: he's an athletic, fast, strong and very aggresive defender and not the best player with the ball on his feet.
Sounds like the Portuguese Smalling then, hard pass.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he has any link to England only imagine him playing regularly for Wolves, if United wants to strengthen that area there are better options around.
Not a bad shout that.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Very overrated don’t think he has the tools to compete at a premier league level l.

SATA

Lindelof and now this guy? Are we stockpiling defenders from Benfica? I'm not even convinced by Lindelof yet though there has been a good improvement in his performances this year

We really need an accomplished centreback coming into his prime who can come into the team immediately and carry/lead the defence

jesperjaap

Lindelof was at a better level.......that is good enough reason for me to steer clear. I did see Lindelof a few times for Benfica and Sweden and couldnt understand why we were interested in him at the time as looked average at best, which is exactly what I think of him now. Scary the plaudits he is getting from or fans and talk of looking for a partner for him.....that is how utterly awful our central defenders are as a group

Kaglish10

Would rather his partner, Ferro who has got terrific passing skill and is no slouch at defending. Dias isn't a ball playing defender and moreover, he seems to be a mistake waiting to happen kind of defender.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Both Dias and Ferro should be project players for a top european club, neither of them has the quality now to be in the XI of a top club. Both have great potential though.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Props to the Portguese posters on here. They really put cold water on any potential muppetry in this thread.

Kaglish10

Both Dias and Ferro should be project players for a top european club, neither of them has the quality now to be in the XI of a top club. Both have great potential though.
I don't see the great potential in Dias though. And I will take Ferro now. He looks good already. It's not until he becomes popular like de Ligt that we should start vying for his signature because other big clubs would want him as well.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Would rather his partner, Ferro who has got terrific passing skill and is no slouch at defending. Dias isn't a ball playing defender and moreover, he seems to be a mistake waiting to happen kind of defender.
Not a mistake by bad positioning IMHO, but rather by extreme levels of aggressiveness. That's why he is called Rambo Dias by rival fans. He is a good defender, but sometimes he crosses the aggressive level and becomes gung-ho as it happened more times than it should this season. It was not only worst because center backs seem to get away with much more than players from any other position.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not a mistake by bad positioning IMHO, but rather by extreme levels of aggressiveness. That's why he is called Rambo Dias by rival fans. He is a good defender, but sometimes he crosses the aggressive level and becomes gung-ho as it happened more times than it should this season. It was not only worst because center backs seem to get away with much more than players from any other position.
So he is basically Bailly version 2

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So he is basically Bailly version 2
I think Bailly is actually a worst CB overall. He was a gamble made by José and our board, but I think if we have to gamble on young and inexperienced players we should hire players with a lower transfer cost.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don't see the great potential in Dias though. And I will take Ferro now. He looks good already. It's not until he becomes popular like de Ligt that we should start vying for his signature because other big clubs would want him as well.
Big, fast, aware, good header and scores goals. Cut the aggressiveness a bit and he'd be great already. Maybe not top 10 defenders in the future but definitely will play in a top club.

Kostov

What’s the point of bringing this guy when we have Tuanzebe? He also strikes me as another potential Lindelof, he might become good in time but never top class.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ferro is the Benfica CB we should be looking at, in my opinion. Every time I've watched Benfica his talent has been obvious.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Ferro is the Benfica CB we should be looking at, in my opinion. Every time I've watched Benfica his talent has been obvious.
It's a bit strange how the press keep linking us with Dias, even though we quite clearly need a left centre back, and have enough mad aggressive defenders in Rojo, Bailly.

Anyways, what do you fellas make of Ferro's physique? Doesn't look like he's a unit like De Ligt. Wondering if he's strong enough for the EPL. His passing looks mint already

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
He's not good enough to make an immediate impact on a big club like United. He has all the characteristics of a very good CB, he's strong, corageous and quick enough for the position but always seem to have an error on him. It's not that he's technically poor but has lapses of judgement and sometimes loses his cool way to easily. If he can improve in a couple of years he might be a top defender but right now he is not. United should aspire to sign a better player than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.