Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Got dominated by a midfield of Matic and Van der Beek, yet people want us to sign him?

He has a hail mary long shot in him once every season and people think he's class :lol: he's basically a Portuguese Darron Gibson.
Did he? Stats aren't everything but he had comfortably the most touches/passes in midfield on Sunday.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Definitely not what we need atm. We already have the creative mids, we need a mobile defensive shield to complement them.

Dan_F

Meh. I don’t really rate Fred, but I can’t see the point in bringing him in. Ole definitely wants mobility and work rate in the pivot, which don’t seem to be Neves’ strengths.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Did he? Stats aren't everything but he had comfortably the most touches/passes in midfield on Sunday.
Well that was because in the 2nd half the team got tired and they just kept recycling possession. He did sod all though apart from some sideways passing, doesn't mean he played well.

First half when everybody was fresh, Mata, DVB and Matic were dancing around them. Amad left him for dead a few times.

babsk

We would be absolutely negligent not to go for him at that price that's a bargain. His long range passing from deep and ability to win the ball back means he could be a real asset in our midfield.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A while back I'd have been chomping at the bit, but Neves doesn't seem to have evolved into the player I thought he would. Now i'm undecided.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Definitely not what we need atm. We already have the creative mids, we need a mobile defensive shield to complement them.
Your DM has to be a very good passer at the highest level.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Well that was because in the 2nd half the team got tired and they just kept recycling possession. He did sod all though apart from some sideways passing, doesn't mean he played well.

First half when everybody was fresh, Mata, DVB and Matic were dancing around them. Amad left him for dead a few times.
It also depends on your team mates. I can't say I've seen a lot of him to be honest but we need better passers in midfield to progress. If not him, then a similar type.

MadMike

We play counter attacking football and our #6 and #8 need to be players who are quick in transition and good at pressing. He's neither. He's a good passer, crosser and shooter but he's slow and games pass him by. Decent player for someone, but not for us.

MadMike

Your DM has to be a very good passer at the highest level.
He does but for a team with our counter attacking playstyle he also needs to be a mobile. It's a must. Otherwise might as well just play Matic.

Adisa

He does but for a team with our counter attacking playstyle he also needs to be a mobile. It's a must. Otherwise might as well just play Matic.
We are primarily a possession based side or at least try to be. We only play strick counter attacking football in about 20% of our games.

justsomebloke

No. We need a good all-rounder to complement them, basically an upgrade on McTominay. Neves is absolutely the right type of player.

justsomebloke

We play counter attacking football and our #6 and #8 need to be players who are quick in transition and good at pressing. He's neither. He's a good passer, crosser and shooter but he's slow and games pass him by. Decent player for someone, but not for us.
Actually, I don't think that's a fair description. I would rather say he's a well-balanced player, with skills as notable in transition, pressing and defence as in the attack.

MadMike

We are primarily a possession based side or at least try to be.
Couldn't disagree more. Fernandes, Rashfrord, Pogba, Fred, McTominay are all players that are direct and much better in transition and than they are in possession. I'm not sure how we're trying to be a position based side with a team like this. Our possession based players (Mata, Matic, VdB) are all bench warmers.

Ephrem

If we are looking for that one defensive mid who can partner Pogba and Bruno in the mid, Neves is not an option. And, I honestly believe such a DM doesn't exist.

I really like Neves a few years back; he can pass the ball well, score a worldie, and is very good at free-kicks and corners. For some reason, he hasn't really got himself up to another level yet, but I do think he has got that level in him. To me, he is really good at shielding the defence, playing first time passes, reading the game, and generally keeping possession. And, I like his mentality.

I think we should consider him:
Neves - Fred
Bruno

I think that mid-field will work well against most of the teams. If we can't get him, then we should put all our efforts to get Tchouaméni.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's nothing like Pogba so it would be a very weird replacement.
Does he have to be like Pogba ? Pogba plays as the deep lying playmaker at the double pivot because of his passing range. If we sell Pogba and still want that deep playmaking at the double pivot Neves would be a target

flappyjay

I like Fred over Neves. I don’t care what people think about me for saying that.

The way people talk about our players like they are championship level is just weird.

Neves has nothing more than a passing ability - not one where he can dictate the tempo of a top team.
This. Well said he is Everton good not trying to close the gap on Man city good.

MadMike

Does he have to be like Pogba ? Pogba plays as the deep lying playmaker at the double pivot because of his passing range. If we sell Pogba and still want that deep playmaking at the double pivot Neves would be a target
That only happened for a few months during Mourinhos reign to terrible effects. Never at Juve, France or United under Ole, has Pogba been a DLM in a double pivot. Just hasn't.

Adisa

Couldn't disagree more. Fernandes, Rashfrord, Pogba, Fred, McTominay are all players that are direct and much better in transition and than they are in possession. I'm not sure how we're trying to be a position based side with a team like this. Our possession based players (Mata, Matic, VdB) are all bench warmers.
They are better in transition, especially Fernandes and Fred who's short passing games are awful. But we are a possession based side (albeit a terrible one for the reasons you mentioned).

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The question that needs to be asked is whether Neves Pogba/Neves VDB will be a good midfield pairing. To me the answer to that is no. He is not the complimenting CM they require.

MadMike

They are better in transition, especially Fernandes and Fred who's short passing games are awful. But we are a possession based side (albeit a terrible one).
This might be for another thread but I would love to understand what you think is a possession-based side and how we're it. Because I just don't see it.

TheHeya

Is this guy similar to VDB? £35m can be used to strengthen elsewhere

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
For 35 m, you can get Camavinga or Bissouma or Locatelli.

This dude is so overrated. Occasional wonder goal is convincing people. He isn't good enough.

Adisa

This might be for another thread but I would love to understand what you think is a possession-based side and how we're it. Because I just don't see it.
A possession based side doesn't mean necessarily mean Barca or a side that plays positional game like LVGs. It just means a side that looks to dominate the game and break down a lower block defense. That's what we try to do in 80% of our games. Counter attacking is hardly a primary tactic. Unless we are facing the top sides we don't cede territory. Every team counter attacks when the opportunity presents itself. City are very good counter attacking side for example but it's not a primary tactic.
From the horses mouth:

"We want to be a team that can go and dominate teams and break teams down," the Norwegian said, as quoted by Goal. "It's taken Liverpool a few years to get to that place and we need to keep on building because that's where we want to get to.
"Yes, we're good at counter-attacking, yes, we've got pace, fast players, we should always keep that because that's in our transition. Now we need to be better at breaking lower blocks.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

If we are looking for that one defensive mid who can partner Pogba and Bruno in the mid, Neves is not an option. And, I honestly believe such a DM doesn't exist.

I really like Neves a few years back; he can pass the ball well, score a worldie, and is very good at free-kicks and corners. For some reason, he hasn't really got himself up to another level yet, but I do think he has got that level in him. To me, he is really good at shielding the defence, playing first time passes, reading the game, and generally keeping possession. And, I like his mentality.

I think we should consider him:
Neves - Fred
Bruno

I think that mid-field will work well against most of the teams. If we can't get him, then we should put all our efforts to get Tchouaméni.
I don't think that's what we're looking for, or should be looking for. Bruno has never played in the pivot and never will either, and all indications are Pogba's future isn't there either, for the most part. Effectively, our pivot first choice is Fred and McTominay, and the pivot clearly has a two-way function as a unit, rather than consisting of one defensive and one offensive player. In that context, Neves is an interesting option.

KW2006

As much as I think McT is not good enough for us, he is a better fit than Neves.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've been pretty vocal on my opinion on Neves for a few years now, but £35m for him is a good price. Does make me laugh when some people were falling over themselves saying we should be paying £90m for him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Assuming Pogba is not part of long term squad building. Ruben Neves is absolutely the right type of player. He has the passing range which is absolutely vital to open up defences, he is solid defensively, a hard worker and not afraid to get stuck in, and can play progressive passing which is what we need. Fred has his haters, but I think he'll be a starter regardless for the near future as he does offer a lot. So having him as the left side of the double pivot and Ruben Neves as the right is actually a very good duo behind Bruno, as both can pass it around, both are good defensively and work hard, both can take turns drifting forwards if needed. Ruben Neves would give us a HUGE boost in terms of being able to open up the pitch with his passing range and progressing the ball up the pitch quicker. He'd also be better for us positionally than McTominay from a defensive POV. McTominay is better at carrying the ball forward but he's not much of a passer.

Of that tier of midfielder, I'd say Bissouma and Ruben Neves would both be very good signings, as both are perfectly suited to the double pivot and definitely good enough to make a step up. Between them and Fred we'd have a very decent group there with all the qualities needed for our midfield. The biggest thing we lack right now is the passing range and consistency in ball control and progressive passing. Ruben Neves can do that quite well from deep, so I'm all for it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Got dominated by a midfield of Matic and Van der Beek, yet people want us to sign him?

He has a hail mary long shot in him once every season and people think he's class :lol: he's basically a Portuguese Darron Gibson.
Not sure how he got dominated in midfield if he had the most touches in the game? Problem was that Wolves have absolutely no cutting edge, especially once Adama came off. They didn't even have Pedro Neto at least. Can't blame Ruben Neves for that.

justsomebloke

Let's not be ridiculous here. Neves is clearly a quality player.

Status
Not open for further replies.