Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would take players like Maxence Caqueret, Camavinga, Aouar, Saul and Aurelien Tchouameni over him easily.

Some of the above are more defensive than others but they can all play in a two or 3 and provide dynamism which Neves lacks in my opinion. And if Solskjaer is serious about seeing the team play a more attacking style, with counter pressing capabilities, then aswell as having technically good players, we also need dynamism in midfield both on/off the ball. So signing players who are mobile aswell as good on the ball is the way to go. There's many players better than Neves IMO who would be a much better fit in a team that wants to press high and counter press.

theklr

Think Neves would be our cheap option if sales are bad. Im guessing Neves is our 3rd priority after Saul and then Rice.

Camavinga wouldnt be expected to play much this year so he would be an addition to one of these as someone for the future (like Amad)

Judas

Open to offers
Eh I'll wait for more people to speak about it. If there were foundations that concrete, surely more journo's would be talking about it?

Love the idea of us doing so much work already on a deal in the background though, even if I'm still unsure if Neves is the right signing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Honestly I would be very happy to see him come through the door this summer. I’m not necessarily sure whether he will ever fully fulfil his potential and become a top class player but he certainly gives us an alternative option and I’d much prefer to watch him than McTominay every week.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Eh I'll wait for more people to speak about it. If there were foundations that concrete, surely more journo's would be talking about it?

Love the idea of us doing so much work already on a deal in the background though, even if I'm still unsure if Neves is the right signing.
Personally I just can’t see this one happening (I did think that with Varane too!). It just feels like maybe his agent would like us to move for him rather than genuine club interest. I’d personally be fairly happy if we are looking at him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
My main issue with this one is that while we've got a start studded defence and attack a Neves + Fred midfield just isn't very sexy is it

That being said his passing is certainly better than McFred so even with the persistence of the double pivot at least with Neves we should have someone able to pass it forward with some precision

Question for those who have seen him more than me, how does he cope under pressure and what's his mobility like?

The White Pele

I think he may be on the list but not getting the impression from the links so far that he’s our preferred option.

mad1max954

Rather have Neves than any other midfielder we’ve been linked with.
100% Agree. Few players look forward and can ping the ball 50 yards the way he can. With the pace in the side off both flanks he’d fit in extremely well. Plus he strikes well from distance so I’d expect him to get a better tally in a more capable team.
Ready made PL experience. A SAF signing if ever there was one.

jesperjaap

I would take players like Maxence Caqueret, Camavinga, Aouar, Saul and Aurelien Tchouameni over him easily.

Some of the above are more defensive than others but they can all play in a two or 3 and provide dynamism which Neves lacks in my opinion. And if Solskjaer is serious about seeing the team play a more attacking style, with counter pressing capabilities, then aswell as having technically good players, we also need dynamism in midfield both on/off the ball. So signing players who are mobile aswell as good on the ball is the way to go. There's many players better than Neves IMO who would be a much better fit in a team that wants to press high and counter press.
Completely agree and half of them would be cheaper probably. I think a lot of people are keen on him due to his price, but its irrelevant for the simple fact there are better players cheaper. I think Neves is a good player, but he still seems to be living of his championship goals with some. He hasnt been more than decent in the premiership

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I don't think we need Neves for teams we press high against, we need him for teams that sit deep. Varane should provide adequate recovery pace to play higher and Neves' passing and long shots are a definite plus.

The players you mention, Caqueret I don't think is for sale - especially at the price of Neves is reported to be, most reports say Camavinga has his heart on Spain, Aouar is a different profile, Saul's wages are huge and Tchouamenis price is probably too much as well.

We can reasonably afford Neves from the money generated from sales and potentially Trippier, depending on who goes. I see our net spend being about 75-50m. Not sure a lot of the players you list are possible or conducive to that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think we need Neves for teams we press high against, we need him for teams that sit deep. Varane should provide adequate recovery pace to play higher and Neves' passing and long shots are a definite plus.

The players you mention, Caqueret I don't think is for sale - especially at the price of Neves is reported to be, most reports say Camavinga has his heart on Spain, Aouar is a different profile, Saul's wages are huge and Tchouamenis price is probably too much as well.

We can reasonably afford Neves from the money generated from sales and potentially Trippier, depending on who goes. I see our net spend being about 75-50m. Not sure a lot of the players you list are possible or conducive to that.
You need your midfielders to be involved in compressing the pitch and to provide counter pressing capabilities, Neves isn't of the required ability to do either IMO and has struggled badly against teams who are half decent at pressing high up the pitch. David Wagner's Huddersfield Town made him look very average and I was in attendance to witness that.

Every player has a price in the Covid affected market and so does Caqueret IMO. I would pay more for Caqueret than sign Neves.

Aouar is a different type of player but IMO would improve us more both on the ball and off the ball compared to Neves due to him being more dynamic in comparison and would help us play a more fluid game.

I would rather give Hannibal Mejbri a run in the team than waste money on Ruben Neves who isn't a stand out player IMO.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You need your midfielders to be involved in compressing the pitch and to provide counter pressing capabilities, Neves isn't of the required ability to do either IMO and has struggled badly against teams who are half decent at pressing high up the pitch. David Wagner's Huddersfield Town made him look very average and I was in attendance to witness that.

Every player has a price in the Covid affected market and so does Caqueret IMO. I would pay more for Caqueret than sign Neves.

Aouar is a different type of player but IMO would improve us more both on the ball and off the ball compared to Neves due to him being more dynamic in comparison and would help us play a more fluid game.

I would rather give Hannibal Mejbri a run in the team than waste money on Ruben Neves who isn't a stand out player IMO.
You're going back a bit now if you're going to quote a game against David Wagner's Huddersfield side as a reason not to sign him!
He would have been, what, 21-22 then? There's been quite a few stats in this thread to suggest he's no where near as vulnerable as you're making out. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting he's the answer to all our problems, but at the potential price, age and experience in the Prem - he could add more to our team immediately than the players you've mentioned IMO.

Yeah and Ligue 1 teams also have the TV deal issue, but I think they have just sold Andersen and will likely sell Aouar before Caqueret.

Aouar would still need someone more robust than Fred next to him and Mctominay and Aouar pairing looks a touch too vunerable to me. As I mentioned to you in the other thread Aouar and Camavinga would be superb additions and would give us multiple combination option with Fred and Scott.

Again, for me, not the same type of player. So whilst I agree to some extent, a Mejbri Fred/Scott pairing also looks too suss for me.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You're going back a bit now if you're going to quote a game against David Wagner's Huddersfield side as a reason not to sign him!
He would have been, what, 21-22 then? There's been quite a few stats in this thread to suggest he's no where near as vulnerable as you're making out. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting he's the answer to all our problems, but at the potential price, age and experience in the Prem - he could add more to our team immediately than the players you've mentioned IMO.

Yeah and Ligue 1 teams also have the TV deal issue, but I think they have just sold Andersen and will likely sell Aouar before Caqueret.

Aouar would still need someone more robust than Fred next to him and Mctominay and Aouar pairing looks a touch too vunerable to me. As I mentioned to you in the other thread Aouar and Camavinga would be superb additions and would give us multiple combination option with Fred and Scott.

Again, for me, not the same type of player. So whilst I agree to some extent, a Mejbri Fred/Scott pairing also looks too suss for me.
I'm going back a bit to the time I started following Neves. The game I mentioned was the first game I watched him play in the stadium. I've watched him countless times since and my opinion hasn't changed. Stats without context are also useless because Nuno had to adapt his tactics to fit players like Neves into his 11 IMO and that suited him (Neves) because Wolves defended with more players than they attacked with which maintained defensive structure both on the ball and off the ball.

It doesn't have to be Aouar because if Pogba is gonna leave, then that will free up alot of wages and add around £43m to the transfer budget according to reports.

Josep Dowling

100% Agree. Few players look forward and can ping the ball 50 yards the way he can. With the pace in the side off both flanks he’d fit in extremely well. Plus he strikes well from distance so I’d expect him to get a better tally in a more capable team.
Ready made PL experience. A SAF signing if ever there was one.
I completely agree on this. Think it would be a great signing personally. Reminds me of Carrick in some respects.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Wolves have been at their best with Moutinho and now he's aging, Wolves aren't as good as they were. Jimenez's injury contributes to this too of course. But my in laws are season ticket holders and rate Moutinho so much more higher than Neves.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wolves have been at their best with Moutinho and now he's aging, Wolves aren't as good as they were. Jimenez's injury contributes to this too of course. But my in laws are season ticket holders and rate Moutinho so much more higher than Neves.
Mourinho is knocking on abit but Neves will never be as good as him.

Bubz27

Most people rate Moutinho as Wolve's most important player, tbf.
I'm not sure tbh but I definitely rate him higher than Neves. His ball retention and recycling is at a very high level.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure tbh but I definitely rate him higher than Neves. His ball retention and recycling is at a very high level.
He's also very mobile and quick on the half turn which made him a brilliant player to watch. A metronome like him is what I feel we need. It's a pity he's coming to the end of his career.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Moutinho is one of those players where you were bemused as to why a major club never made a strong move for him when he was performing consistently well for Porto.

Bubz27

He's also very mobile and quick on the half turn which made him a brilliant player to watch. A metronome like him is what I feel we need. It's a pity he's coming to the end of his career.
Always had him down as a Modric-lite. Players like that in the central areas are so important, and what we don't have.

Bubz27

Moutinho doesn’t even start regularly for them. Very good back in the day but he’s way past his best now.
Which is exactly what we're saying. When Wolves were a clear top 7 team, Moutinho was integral. Now he isn't, and Wolves aren't. Obviously there are other variables, but he's important to that too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One good thing about him is that he seemingly isn't injury prone... He's only not played in 9 league games for Wolves (out of 160)

Of those he's missed 2 for injury, 4 for suspension (all in the Championship) and on the bench for 3.

SirAnderson

Scores some disgusting goals.

His passing from the deep is exactly what we need. Fred and McTominay struggle to make such incisive through balls. Don't get me started on the goals from outside the box. Pure filth, and again, something that Fred, bless him, just doesn't have, McTominay has some potential, but needs to keep working on it.

I'd happily take him for a good price, sadly I don't think it will happen though, don't see any strong links, just the run of the mill transfer rumors.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
His passing from the deep is exactly what we need. Fred and McTominay struggle to make such incisive through balls. Don't get me started on the goals from outside the box. Pure filth, and again, something that Fred, bless him, just doesn't have, McTominay has some potential, but needs to keep working on it.

I'd happily take him for a good price, sadly I don't think it will happen though, don't see any strong links, just the run of the mill transfer rumors.
Don't get too carried away, from his time in the PL & Championship, according to TransferMarkt he has played 151 games scoring 17 and assisting only 7, a goal contribution every 0.15 games, Mctominay has a ratio of 0.13. He isn't here to provide more assists or goals.

In a defensive sense he doesn't stand out either compared to true defensive midfielders and according to the premier league website, Fred created 8 big chances and Neves only created 10.

I don't see what he does that is much better than Fred or Mctominay

Eddy_JukeZ

I find him so underwhelming.

Rather save the funds and get in someone else next year rather than bring in Neves now.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Have we had any good sources link us to Neves? This feels like when we were linked with Fabinho. It was always ‘close’ or ‘soon’, when in actual fact, it was never happening

Kostov

While I agree that Moutinho is also a very good CM, loosing Jimenez really destroyed Wolves and the way they played.

Jacob

Underwhelming. The prospect of signing him doesn't excite me one bit. I think he's a bit, meh.

poleglass red

Don't get too carried away, from his time in the PL & Championship, according to TransferMarkt he has played 151 games scoring 17 and assisting only 7, a goal contribution every 0.15 games, Mctominay has a ratio of 0.13. He isn't here to provide more assists or goals.

In a defensive sense he doesn't stand out either compared to true defensive midfielders and according to the premier league website, Fred created 8 big chances and Neves only created 10.

I don't see what he does that is much better than Fred or Mctominay
stats can be twisted though, context is needed, he created more chances than Fred, we came 2nd in league, his team who were known as being defensive, and were struggling and he still created more chances.He also scored the same amount of PL goals as Fred and McT combined ie 5, this being in a season where most, will say was slightly disappointing in comparison with previous season. Neves was top in pl for interceptions and tackles, higher than Rice who would cost double.

Status
Not open for further replies.