Ruben Neves

BerryBerryShrew

He makes Matic look mobile

DesiAce83

That one moment at the start of the 2nd half where he got pickpocketed and should have led to goal number 3 summed him up for me. Fred would have had a 1,000 hate tweets after that .

He has a decent passing range and can score a screamer, but doesn't dictate tempo (Moutinho does) and tackling is so so. Don't want.

Dante

Average bang
I wanted him last summer even though I knew he wasn't a top tier player.

But he wouldn't have needed to be in this squad. For creativity, we have Bruno and Sancho in front. For defensive solidity, we have Maguire and Varane behind. What United needed in midfield was somebody who could tackle and intercept (like Fred and McTominay), bring the ball out of the back (like Matic and VDB), and switch the play with long passes (like Pogba).

Neves isn't necessarily a CL level player in any other team. But as a missing piece in United's jig saw, I think he would have been a great fit. In any case, Ole didn't think so. So if United didn't buy Neves when he was available in the summer, we won't be buying him at any point in the future either.

Our scouts are obviously looking for all-rounders who can do a variety of things in order to make us more tactically flexible. Which is difficult to disagree with given our midfielders put on a shitshow on Tuesday after a red card and in the face of a high press. Which meant they had to be replaced by Lingard at DM (!).

Neves might be a better fit for United's current midfield than Pogba, Fred or McTominay. But he's also just as limited when the context of the game changes. So let's just move on and go for the next Bellingham or Camavinga - somebody who can do a bit of everything whenever the game demands it.