Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He is very good, but I fear he is too slow to be a player for a top team. And that’s why he is at Wolves after all these years, he is just too slow.. like Maguire is too slow and shouldn’t be at a top team. Well, he isn’t actually, but the team could have been one if they had signed someone else.
One of those players like him, Jota or Mane who will inevitably end up in a top club and we will scratch our head. I am not 100% on board but I think he would be a good fit. How slow is slow? his defensive stats are pretty good for a DLP, certainly if I look at Carrick over 30 there wasn't a slower player around him and Neves makes more tackles and interceptions than him.. but yeah generally we need to speed up but for certain roles I think speed is not as important.

Fred, Neves, Bruno would be very balanced imho, a lot of legs and pressing and actual ability too. Just need a manager whowill make them work as a unit.

Nick.

I've been of the opinion that pace isn't terribly important for a central midfielder. I don't recall the likes of Jorginho, Carrick, Rice etc being particularly fast. I feel like positioning is way more key than pace in this position.

Andrew7582

I've been of the opinion that pace isn't terribly important for a central midfielder. I don't recall the likes of Jorginho, Carrick, Rice etc being particularly fast. I feel like positioning is way more key than pace in this position.
It's not just outright pace. There are lots of midfielders that don't have much pace but they are still agile and able to turn quickly. Neves moves like Maguire, he's too immobile for me. It can work in the right system if you compensate for him elswhere but why bother, just buy someone else who doesn't have those issues in the first place.

OT_United

Absolutely 100% should be signing this guy. Proven PL midfielder having a great season, wouldn't cost more than £40/45 million.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
People talking as if Carrick and Scholes were fast....

Tchouameni and Neves or Rice and Neves would be great additions to the squad and lineup.

Midfield squad next season could easily be Tchouameni, Neves, McTominay and Fred.

Tchouameni and Neves for Matic and Pogba are good replacements. Then when we replace Fred we're in business.
If you replace all players of the season then we might as well put in a title challenge

Ekeke

People talking as if Carrick and Scholes were fast....

Tchouameni and Neves or Rice and Neves would be great additions to the squad and lineup.

Midfield squad next season could easily be Tchouameni, Neves, McTominay and Fred.

Tchouameni and Neves for Matic and Pogba are good replacements. Then when we replace Fred we're in business.
Neves doesnt belong in the same category as Rice and Tchouameni. The stats say Rice and Tchouameni are top and potential top DMs.

Neves has never had that despite being older and having had the longest career of the 3

If hes 2 thirds of the price of the others thats when its worth talking about. Maybe.

Hammondo

Neves doesnt belong in the same category as Rice and Tchouameni. The stats say Rice and Tchouameni are top and potential top DMs.

Neves has never had that despite being older and having had the longest career of the 3

If hes 2 thirds of the price of the others thats when its worth talking about. Maybe.
Neves is a deep lying playmaker. Not comparable.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The Daily Fail saying ETH is a fan of Neves and would want to sign him, certainly would fit the style ETH would want to get us playing

Abraxas

The Pochottino of football transfers. I hope we don’t go this root.
What makes you think that?

I wasn't a great admirer when this rumour first turned up last season, but he's certainly been fairly consistent for Wolves of late. Good age, good passer of the ball, it doesn't look too silly to add some better technique to our midfield for a reasonable sum of money.

Blood Mage

Neves could play the Gravenberch role in Ten Hag's United midfield no problem, would be a good signing. We'd still need a DM though.

Mainoldo

What makes you think that?

I wasn't a great admirer when this rumour first turned up last season, but he's certainly been fairly consistent for Wolves of late. Good age, good passer of the ball, it doesn't look too silly to add some better technique to our midfield for a reasonable sum of money.
He fits the profile. Prem proven, not a ‘Shirt seller’ which is the new internet craze and ready for a step up.

However we have to buy smart and right. The only issue I see with him is I don’t think he gets better than what he is now and right now he’s not good enough to be challenging for league titles. Is this the number 8 we are craving for? I still prefer the Tielemans root.

Abraxas

He fits the profile. Prem proven, not a ‘Shirt seller’ which is the new internet craze and ready for a step up.

However we have to buy smart and right. The only issue I see with him is I don’t think he gets better than what he is now and right now he’s not good enough to be challenging for league titles. Is this the number 8 we are craving for? I still prefer the Tielemans root.
Isn't he as likely to get better as Tielemans is really? They're both the same age and at a similar profile of club and they both have a stable body next to them which they might not at United. Most of the questions they'd have to answer are quite similar about the impact they can make as the main man in midfield at a much bigger club.

I think Neves has been more consistent this year. Maybe Tielemans is more talented, I'm not sure. He certainly is a talent but he seems to operate in bits and pieces. A wonder goal here and then a disappearing act the next which worries me. We've got a few like that floating around our midfield and attacking midfield areas, it's actually a steady head we might need.

Infra-red

Neves could play the Gravenberch role in Ten Hag's United midfield no problem, would be a good signing. We'd still need a DM though.
Not sure. Neves is more of a sitter. He's closer to Alvarez in style than he is to Gravenberch.

If Neves came in, he'd be paired with an energetic box-to-box player.

Mainoldo

Isn't he as likely to get better as Tielemans is really? They're both the same age and at a similar profile of club and they both have a stable body next to them which they might not at United. Most of the questions they'd have to answer are quite similar about the impact they can make as the main man in midfield at a much bigger club.

I think Neves has been more consistent this year. Maybe Tielemans is more talented, I'm not sure. He certainly is a talent but he seems to operate in bits and pieces. A wonder goal here and then a disappearing act the next which worries me. We've got a few like that floating around our midfield and attacking midfield areas, it's actually a steady head we might need.
To me Tielemans has a greater ceiling and importantly has the scoop to be elite. Neves not for me. He’ll look out of place in two years. He can pass but mate that’s the basics. Does he pass at an elite level?

A wonder goal here and then? You describe Tielemans or Neves?

Highfather_24

-------------------DDG
Mazraoui--Vic--Varane--Shaw
---------------- Kamara--
---------Bruno---------Neves
Antony-----Ronaldo----Sancho

:drool:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Neither he or tielemans impress me that much , I don't think either is the answer and they don't come cheap either.
We would be better off looking elsewhere preferably out of England and on the cheaper side on my opinion.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would prefer him to Tielemans. As I said at the start of this thread, he offers something to our squad we don't have and looks like he'll be available for a decent price.

The only thing I'd be worried about is we're just bank rolling them to get Nunes and Palhinha.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I have a little doubt that Ten Hag would buy Neves when he will probably test out Garner for the same role too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Please no.

we've had a blind spot for press resistant central midfielders for too long. Neves would be a step in the wrong direction.

Deery

Dreary
Please no.

we've had a blind spot for press resistant central midfielders for too long. Neves would be a step in the wrong direction.
Bullshit it would, a solid midfielder is what we are crying out for.

Highfather_24

Please no.

You dont reckon he is press resistant?

I think we should get a solid DM/DLP like Kamara and a mobile, creative CM in the Modric/Veratti mould. Dunno who that is though.

mikeyt

Neves and a genuine DM with someone like Antony coming with ETH and a striker would be a really good start.

Deery

Dreary
You dont reckon he is press resistant?

I think we should get a solid DM/DLP like Kamara and a mobile, creative CM in the Modric/Veratti mould. Dunno who that is though.
Well if you can find a Modric let us all know..

Status
Not open for further replies.