Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafer007

Neves and DeJong in the middle of the park could give us more balance and flair.
We can get both for 100M (The money we get on Martial/Perrera/Baily/AWB/Axel/Henderson) could help funding this and it will fix our midfield for years.

Borussia Teeth

Neves and DeJong in the middle of the park could give us more balance and flair.
We can get both for 100M (The money we get on Martial/Perrera/Baily/AWB/Axel/Henderson) could help funding this and it will fix our midfield for years.
We won't get anything close to 100m with the wages they're on.

George The Best

We won’t get anything for Martial

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Would love neves and de jong in a midfield together but I think it’s only gonna be one of them. Neves will be the back up signing if we can’t get de jong.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would rather have FDJ and Antony than Neves and Raphinha even if it means we are paying extra. It's should be no brainer that FDJ is far better and more talented than Neves so he's worth more.

Charles Miller

The manager needs some players that already understand his system to save time. Its what Liverpool and City do, for instance. The only strong clubs that have a different approuch are PSG and Real Madrid. There is no point comparing De Jong and Antony to other players, even when you think there are better alternatives. FDJ and Antony are system players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I would be sad if we got Ruben Neves and missed out on Frenkie de Jong if we have a genuine shot at Frenkie. Like I would rather pay 100m for Frenkie than 50 for Ruben Neves. It's not even close between the two.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree. Find Neves is extremely overrated. No issue with us signing FDJ and they getting Neves. He's not that good.

amolbhatia50k

That wouldn't fix anything. Two deep like playmaker in one team wouldn't make sense. Sure one is more of a quarterback style player and the other who knits things together but I think someone more physically robust will be a better partner for FDJ. Neves is sluggish.

Jibbs

I’d rather have them two than just FDJ. I like Neves a lot.
Exactly. United will be complete idiots if they sign FDJ for 80 million and let two PL proven players like Raphinha and Neves go to Barcelona for same amount. Unsurprisingly United are.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That wouldn't fix anything. Two deep like playmaker in one team wouldn't make sense. Sure one is more of a quarterback style player and the other who knits things together but I think someone more physically robust will be a better partner for FDJ. Neves is sluggish.
Agreed.

Neves defending a large space in a high defensive line against the opponents transition would end badly, and opposition coaches would also target him.

Neves would be best suited in a team that either gives him the protection of a inverted fullback and DM in a high line, or he joins a team that sets out to defend in numbers in a low to mid-block and looks to react on the counter attack.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Exactly. United will be complete idiots if they sign FDJ for 80 million and let two PL proven players like Raphinha and Neves go to Barcelona for same amount. Unsurprisingly United are.
Not really. The PL proven players aren't anything special. I'd consider Raphinha due to the fee but if we can get someone better in Antony its not an issue. This is more about whether we want two PL guys who can be decent options vs a genuinely excellent player who could have a big impact.

Redcy

there is no way united get Neves and Raphinha for 80m euros, no way at all

Bondi77

Not really. The PL proven players aren't anything special. I'd consider Raphinha due to the fee but if we can get someone better in Antony its not an issue. This is more about whether we want two PL guys who can be decent options vs a genuinely excellent player who could have a big impact.
How is Antony better than Raphina?

amolbhatia50k

How is Antony better than Raphina?
I wouldn't know. I'm saying if we're going for a better player than it doesn't matter. And if ETH rates him highly and has managed him then it makes complete sense. As I've said posters whose view I value rate Antony as a much bigger talent.

Raphinha looks good to me but not top class material. More of a good player in flashes and bursts of explosiveness.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Neves and Raphina would be brilliant business from United (or any club for that matter). Surprised anyone would think otherwise.

DJ_21

Neves would be a good signing but I think I’d prefer sangare… much more defensive minded which would allow De jong and Bruno to be more creative up field.

Kostov

Agreed.

Neves defending a large space in a high defensive line against the opponents transition would end badly, and opposition coaches would also target him.

Neves would be best suited in a team that either gives him the protection of a inverted fullback and DM in a high line, or he joins a team that sets out to defend in numbers in a low to mid-block and looks to react on the counter attack.
I think if we do the same to Frenkie it will be equally bad.

lysglimt

Scout
First of all - FDJ wont cost £80 million - and second - on what planet do you think we could sign Raphinha and Neves for £80 million ? First we have to persuade Leeds to sell us Raphinha - ehm...that wont happen - and if they did agree to do it, there is no way we would get him for less than £50 million. And second - why would Wolves sell Neves for anything less than £50 million ? More likely they will ask for £60-70 million. So let's more realistically say that they would cost almost 50% more than the sum you mention (if we manage to persuade Leeds to sell Raphinha)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm a little worried they are up for selling him, gives me Varane vibes.
With you tbh. Barca willing to sell plus stories ever since he's gone there that he's not been a flop but certainly disappointing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think if we do the same to Frenkie it will be equally bad.
You can only do that in a high defensive line if you make concessions for a player like de Jong, if the idea is to utilise him as the single pivot. And that would be to invert the fullbacks or else the defensive structure will be non existent on the turn over in a approach that requires the last line of defense to defend high up the pitch. So a double pivot with a physically robust player next to de Jong, would be the way to go and we'd better control the game with and without the ball.

Neves who is a inferior player to de Jong both technically and athletically, definitely isn't someone who could control a larger space, and isn't as good as de Jong on the ball.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Delusional?
Yes the idea that Barcelona don’t sell good players is definitely one without a basis in reality. They literally let Messi go last year. Frenkie may or may not be all that but it’s not because of Barcelona’s willingness to sell him, which is all about their finances and not his quality or lack thereof.

Jacob

Uninspiring signing if I ever saw one. We have enough Portuguese. Let's not facilitate the clique culture.

Tarrou

not doing an imaginary deal, which is not even possible anyway, is one of the harsher criticisms of the club in recent years

Dannn411

Honestly if the club is able to do Neves, FDJ/ some other CM and Antony this summer, i'd be more than happy with that. They'd address big big needs but I highly doubt they'll be to sign all 3.

GledTheRed

Yes the idea that Barcelona don’t sell good players is definitely one without a basis in reality. They literally let Messi go last year. Frenkie may or may not be all that but it’s not because of Barcelona’s willingness to sell him, which is all about their finances and not his quality or lack thereof.
A 34 year old Messi with his best years behind him demanding an absolute fortune to stay, who do they willingly sell at the the peak of their powers fundamental to the team?

DJ_21

Honestly if the club is able to do Neves, FDJ/ some other CM and Antony this summer, i'd be more than happy with that. They'd address big big needs but I highly doubt they'll be to sign all 3.
I’d prefer 2 cm, cb and either a rw or rb not sure which one is the most needed.

Mainoldo

Would be the biggest anticlimax since chasing Cesc to Fellaini. If we got Neves instead of De Jong.

Good player but so overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.