Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I’m a big Neves fan, I think he is good quality and an outstanding character. But we don’t need him any more. With Case and Eriksen here, he’d probably struggle to get regular starts.

If we’re going to sign another CM it should be someone who will expect to start ahead of Eriksen.
Who are you thinking?

OrcaFat

Who are you thinking?
It’s boring but Frenkie, I suppose. He’s just got the right mix of creativity, game intelligence and physicality. I wish I could think of someone else (maybe if I think hard enough). With FDJ we become more solid, better on the transition and can push Eriksen forward to compete for the “10” spot (while still providing cover at “8”).

I was very up for getting Neves before we got Eriksen and Casemiro (brilliant signings those two). But now it’s about adding even more quality, where possible, and I don’t think Neves would be more than back-up to what we’ve got now. Really good player, though; a good team player - I hope he goes somewhere that’s a step up from Wolves.

croadyman

It’s boring but Frenkie, I suppose. He’s just got the right mix of creativity, game intelligence and physicality. I wish I could think of someone else (maybe if I think hard enough). With FDJ we become more solid, better on the transition and can push Eriksen forward to compete for the “10” spot (while still providing cover at “8”).

I was very up for getting Neves before we got Eriksen and Casemiro (brilliant signings those two). But now it’s about adding even more quality, where possible, and I don’t think Neves would be more than back-up to what we’ve got now. Really good player, though; a good team player - I hope he goes somewhere that’s a step up from Wolves.
I like De Jong but still seems he hasn't the balls to leave them,expect talk to ramp up around him when Barca come to Old Trafford

OrcaFat

I like De Jong but still seems he hasn't the balls to leave them,expect talk to ramp up around him when Barca come to Old Trafford
Yeah I doubt we’ll get him. Wish we could find another with his quality and attributes.

He’s not amazing but he doesn’t have a clear weakness for his position and his outstanding asset is his ability to carry the ball 40 yards in a matter of seconds (my jaw hit the deck the first time I saw him do it). A player like him can give us another dimension.

In fairness to Eriksen, he’s doing a good job. He’s just a touch light in terms of physicality.

I think Hannibal has the tools to become a similar player to FDJ but he’s way too raw and I’m not sure how he’s going to get the right sort of development and experience.

It’s a quandary but I don’t see Neves fitting in anywhere; probably better to stick with what we’ve got.

Kazi

Why aren’t we in for this guy? Surely he’d be a perfect fit with Casemiro and Bruno in midfield?

Mwooyo

Because maybe unsure what to do about Sabitzer
Nah. Neves and sabitzer can cover both casemiro and fred easily and are interchangeable. Eriksen should be competing for the 10 role with bruno. We can then get rid of mctominay and donny van de beek. Have said this for a long time, while de jong, caicedo and declan rice are good players....we dont need them if they dont want to come or if we are being quoted 100m prices. There are cheaper options who are just as good, with neves being top of the list

Kazi

Prem proven, plays with Bruno internationally and feel like he’ll complement our other midfielders quite well. Seems like a no brainer.

Also, for a midfielder of his ilk, I think he’s just entering his prime now.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Not that he’s amazing or anything but this is always a poor argument. I mean, our own Bruno was 25 and playing in the Liga Sagres
In the era of micro data analysis and stats the fact he's still there tells a story. He's probably better than Wolves but I'm wondering why a big Club hasn't picked him up yet.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'd be interested as an option. But what fee for an option? I think he'd provide really good depth and could be part of the squad...but would the money for him imply more of a week in week out starter?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In the era of micro data analysis and stats the fact he's still there tells a story. He's probably better than Wolves but I'm wondering why a big Club hasn't picked him up yet.
It's not like Wolves would have let him go cheaply. Plus I think his first couple of seasons there were a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong he was still fairly good, but he didn't really kick on and improve the way he was expected to. Obviously he was still fairly young though, and he did seem to take that step up to a new level last season. I haven't watched Wolves this season so no idea if that improvement has continued.

He'll only have one year left on his contract so he should be available for a decent price.

BerryBerryShrew

What about Kroos or totally done?
Thought he was poor last season and haven't seen him too much this season.

Modric is better than ever and out of contract. I'd imagine Real will offer him a new deal though. And unlike Cas, he has already experienced the PL so we don't have a new experience to offer him. One can still dream though!

Blood Mage

He's not good enough for United. Just too pedestrian in everything he does, like Matic but without the tackles and interceptions.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Has any other top 6-8 team really tried to get him?

That worries me if teams have just largely ignored him

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He was being offered around for 35m not too long ago and we didn’t bite then. Think we’ll go for a younger midfielder.

Hughes35

He's decent but just nowhere near FDJ, Kovacic or Bellingham.

If he is the only midfield signing, it's very disappointing. If it's him + another, it's decent business (Depending on cost).

Nickelodeon

Not sure about his running/pressing attributes, but he’s really good on the ball and has a good shot on him. Also, in the few Wolves games I’ve seen this season, he’s also their leader and constantly asks for the ball especially when their team is chasing the game.

croadyman

He's decent but just nowhere near FDJ, Kovacic or Bellingham.

If he is the only midfield signing, it's very disappointing. If it's him + another, it's decent business (Depending on cost).
Who would you want to sign for him to be considered decent business out of interest

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hope not. He's not better than Fred, just like Sabitzer isn't better for us than Fred.

Hughes35

Who would you want to sign for him to be considered decent business out of interest
The three mentioned in my original post should be the top 3 we chase FDJ, Bellingham, kovacic, Rice & Mcallister should all be looked at before Neves....... and probably some others. not saying any of them are obtainable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.