Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johannes_fd

I often feel that the lack of creativity deep in the pitch led to Bruno (especially) etc falling alot deeper than what should be necessary. Having a passer like Neves should atleast somewhat remedy that situation. This is especially apparant in games we are supposed to dominate.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I can imagine him getting overwhelmed in high-tempo game, but man do I love players of his type. Take the ball of the center backs, spread play, control the tempo. Fecking sexual football.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Yes but what kind of midfielder is he ? He is not great defensively - he contributes little going forward apart from the odd screamer. Every time we play Wolves, he has had zero influence on the game.
That’s partly due to the fact that Wolves play with eleven men behind the ball and concede the midfield as part of their tactical approach. He hasn’t played for a team that wants to go out and dominate the game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
At the moment more realistic option than Goretzka plus relatively cheap occasion to upgrade whole shape of our midfield.

I do hope Murtough & Ole considering this.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't think he's all that.

At the moment more realistic option than Goretzka plus relatively cheap occasion to upgrade whole shape of our midfield.

I do hope Murtough & Ole considering this.
Why would he be cheap btw?

Walters_19_MuFc

Statistically and stylistically, Neves is the type of player we could with to partner Fred or McTominay (assuming Pogba goes, which is looking likely). Defensively sound, has a good range of passing, long-range shot, dynamic, etc. However, I am always left underwhelmed by his performances whenever I watch him play.

That being said, if I was to choose out the midfielders we've been linked with, then it'd be Neves over Saul and Goretzka, simply because Neves is defensively better and in my opinion, he's better building play.

Idxomer

Statistically and stylistically, Neves is the type of player we could with to partner Fred or McTominay (assuming Pogba goes, which is looking likely). Defensively sound, has a good range of passing, long-range shot, dynamic, etc. However, I am always left underwhelmed by his performances whenever I watch him play.
Especially in the last game when Amad kept taking the ball off him in the middle of the pitch, he went down screaming every time.

CM10

Eh. I think some want him on the basis that he's not Fred or McTominay, which is a bit of a dangerous trap to fall into.

Neves has always struck me as a bit of a highlights player. Loves a Hollywood pass and scores the occasional screamer but I don't really remember him dominating a game. Is he going to impose himself in crunch games? And is his short passing game good enough?

I think part of the thing is if we sign a midfielder we're kind of looking for a player who can perform the role of two. But even if we did sign a Camavinga, or whoever, I'm not convinced Neves is the one to complete that pairing.

led_scholes

He is a good player who will improve us and that price is great but I would rather sign someone who can be WC - ie Camavinga.
I think there were reports that Camavinga prefers another team, so i m assuming Neves is the second option.

MattofManchester

He's massively stagnated at Wolves and has been outshone in every way by Moutinho.

Don't think he'd be a good fit.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Also Is Fabian Ruiz any better?
He's ok. Someone who I wouldn't have minded to see a year or so back. Didn't watch him at all last season but he's actually used to playing in a pivot next to a more combative player in Bakayoko.

Would work relatively well next to Fred or McTominay, with that ball-winner/ball-player kind of mix.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just because he can play a long pass it doesn't mean he can be the tempo setter for a top team does it? It something i don't really see from him so clearly.

I mean Jonjo Shelvey could pass well couldn't he, but I don't see being the tempo setter for a club like United just because he could make a long distance pass.

zarrelito

Supports
Djurgårdens IF
Henderson
Wan-Bissaka - Varane - Maguire- Shawberto Carlos
Neves
Bruno Pogba
Sancho Rashford
Cavani

Looks like a dream to me.
Love neves playstyle and think that we can improve so much with him in that setup.

sp_107

-------------------------- Cavani ------------------------------

----Rashford ------------------------------------Sancho------

----------------Pogba ---------------------Bruno ------------------

------------------------------Neves-----------------------------------

Shaw--------Maguire-----------Varane------------Trippier----

--------------------------------DDG-----------------------------------------

I think we can win something with this team

RUCK4444

I’ve been hammered for suggesting a lone CDM with Pogba and Bruno, even when I’ve suggested a better CDM than we have currently, surely Neves would be overrun in that side? He’s mighty slow remember.

RUCK4444

Moutinho has been a far better player and would retain possession far better than this lad (not that I want Moutinho)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

If we were to get him, I think it would be because Pogba has gone to Paris.

OverratedOpinion

Not a midfield battle.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Liverpool ran City kneck and kneck for the title before subsequently beating them the following year. In neither season did they have world class players in every position, unless you think the likes of Georgi Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson and Joe Gomez are world class. Hell, even Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain started about half their league games in their title winning season.
Liverpool, had a world class manager and a bunch of players that would die for him. Sort of like the Invincibles for Wenger, though you could argue that that team also had world class in all position. I can see Alex Ferguson build a team like Liverpool, OGS(and arteta before anyone starts taking potshots at him) don't have the gravitas for players to want to play beyond their ability for them. @TrustInJanuzaj that replies to your question too.

Utd are competing with Guardiolas City, and Klopps Liverpool, you'll need an invincibles level team to stand a chance. If you're prepared to wait, things might open up after they leave and a Neves level player might still be a part of a league winning team. But even there Camavinga looks like a safer long term bet.

mav_9me

Well Neves makes significantly more Interceptions than McTominay and despite McTominay winning the majority of the tackles he's involved in, he simply doesn't make anywhere near as many as he should be doing. You look at McTominays stats and makes you wonder what his job actually is, as Fred does all of the tackling and interceptions and McTominays passing stats are fairly weak for a midfielder. I would assume it's due to McTominays decent Aerial stats, which he easily dwarfs Fred in and is better than Neves. He's probably one of the best midfielders in the league looking at Aerial stats to be fair.
Pressing, energy, harass the opposite CM. Occasional goal. Thats why he should be a squad player, not the starter he is right now.

ti vu

If this transfer indeed happens, it has the same vibe as VDB transfer. The player himself has strong points, that better/edging the current we have, at the same time being worse in others aspect; but it just doesn't feel like it would solve any existing issues. Can't trust Neves to be the sole holding midfielder if we play 3 men midfielder with Pogba and Bruno. Likely end up with double pivot again. What's the point then if that happens?

mu4c_20le

People underrating Neves in here, a lot. Still only 24, he’s a brilliant player. Would love him at the base of a 433.
I don't think he's been close to brilliant for two years now. Unless Bruno sees something we don't, he's been up for sale for cheap for awhile now and the only team seriously linked so far is Arsenal.

I'm happy to be wrong and quoted in the future, but I'd rather take a punt on Renato Sanches....better fit imo

Status
Not open for further replies.