Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
His price will be just as significant next bloody summer.
We've spent plenty for this summer. If the club wants Rice but have to wait until next season for it to be financially responsible then that's what they should do.

Flytan

We've spent plenty for this summer. If the club wants Rice but have to wait until next season for it to be financially responsible then that's what they should do.
But they should still address the gaping hole in the squad with a loan deal or a punt on some player. You can invest without spending too much that it has consequences on next season. Sell one of our many extra attackers for a midfielder

northernfan

McNeves would work in midfield, if Burno would come back and help transition the ball from the fullback line to the forwards. Bruno is a midfielder or am I wrong?

MadMike

McNeves would work in midfield, if Burno would come back and help transition the ball from the fullback line to the forwards. Bruno is a midfielder or am I wrong?
He is, but it seems his instructions are to stay higher up the pitch (like a support striker, where he is more of a threat) instead of coming back to help in the build up. If anyone does come back to help, it's usually Pogba tucking in from the left. When he plays there instead of the middle that is.

Joseunited

Haven't we been financially responsile this summer?

Coxy

Whilst I agree we have - that money is being spread over a number of years so when you take into account James' sale we have actually balanced this year (if I was reading it right in another thread).

SirMattlives

Where’s this Neves stuff coming from? I can’t source anyone reliably talking of this. A tweet that we are ‘considering’ an offier is laughable — as if the board sitting around with cups of tea saying ‘pass the mcvities…oh, and what about that chap from Wolves who was complaining so much on Sunday….what do you think?’ I realize United are surefire clickbait but presumably if we were in discussion with Wolves, this would at least have been picked up by others? I am living in hope that Ole and the team have some idea how to use DVB…unlikely as that seems, it’s more plausible than the ‘considering’ scenario.

Rojofiam

Exactly. That's what we did with Sancho and I assume other long-term targets that never became a media saga like the former. I much prefer it this way, wait for the one we actually want rather than panic buying.

Joseunited

Exactly. That's what we did with Sancho and I assume other long-term targets that never became a media saga like the former. I much prefer it this way, wait for the one we actually want rather than panic buying.
If Rice is the one we want we'll spend a fortune getting him because he is English and West Ham won't just bend over and give him away.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Normally I would agree but in this case a DM panic buy would actually be quite sensible. We don't need someone amazing. Someone a bit sh#t would still be a massive upgrade on Matic or Pogba playing the role till McT is back.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
DDG
Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw
McTominay Neves
Greenwood/Sancho Bruno Pogba
Ronaldo

I really really like this.

Kag

The issue is that next summer we may have more gaps to plug.

Cavani is going to leave, Ronaldo will be another year older and Martial could well be out on his arse, too.

Then you’ve got the Pogba situation to resolve in the meantime, which may well culminate in him leaving the club, too.

Already we’re looking at a large summer spend so why not solve the issue now?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Cavani is going to leave, Ronaldo will be another year older and Martial could well be out on his arse, too.

Then you’ve got the Pogba situation to resolve in the meantime, which may well culminate in him leaving the club, too.

If Pogba resigns we really only have to get a striker and a dm. We can do that. :)
If Pogba goes then obviously we have more work to do, but if Ronaldo then goes and does Ronaldo things then we can just go for a DM and a Pogba replacement.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Martial is on 250k p/w. If we sell Martial then it opens space for Pogba's new wages. Sign Haaland and give the no 9 to him next summer when Cavani leaves. We also still have Rashford & Greenwood to cover no 9 for Ronaldo with Diallo, Pogba, Sancho to cover the wide area.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems Ole is following Fergies footsteps to the letter. That includes ignoring midfield for years and pretending it doesn't matter :lol:

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
So many better alternatives available, but at least he would be better than farking Declan Rice

Rojofiam

If Rice is the one we want we'll spend a fortune getting him because he is English and West Ham won't just bend over and give him away.
He's not signing a new contract, which means that West Ham will likely sell him next summer.

So many better alternatives available, but at least he would be better than farking Declan Rice
Not the same type of players, Neves is a great passer but there's a reason he's still at Wolves, even though they're not asking for a lot of money.

Whilst Rice might not have Neves' passing, he's a much-much better upgrade on Fred (which is what we need). Actually, I think they could play together (Rice and Neves), but I wouldn't take the Portuguese over McTominay.

seegoblu

Feel like this would be a sideways move...a change for change sake. Clearly Fred is not rated by the fans as a CDM, but I don't see Neves as an overall improvement...is he an improved passer than Fred? Undoubtedly. But in exchange you get a lower energy, slower player who doesn't seem keen to win tackles the way that Fred does. Frankly, I think McT is a better choice than both and even he isn't the quality the club needs.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Feel like this would be a sideways move...a change for change sake. Clearly Fred is not rated by the fans as a CDM, but I don't see Neves as an overall improvement...is he an improved passer than Fred? Undoubtedly. But in exchange you get a lower energy, slower player who doesn't seem keen to win tackles the way that Fred does. Frankly, I think McT is a better choice than both and even he isn't the quality the club needs.
Neves is a much better partner for Mctominay or Fred than the other would be. Neves & Matic/Pogba would be suicide.

Fred & McTominay are work horses but neither can pass. Neves next to one would work well.

Crustanoid

Because our owners are massive leeching bellends. Why would they do the sensible thing to enhance our chances of trophies?

GBBQ

I mean the optimistic view is that Greenwood and Sancho are another year older as well. Maybe Hannibal is ready to push on to the first team by then too.

Neves is probably worth a punt but in the same way that Fred and VDB were worth a punt when we bought them. He’s not a guaranteed player. I think we’ve targets in mind and we’ll be patient so we end up with the right player rather than what’s convenient.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Cruyff played 58 times for us over 4 years. Donny played 36 times for us last year.

I know the point you were trying to make, but the fact is he has been given a lot of chances and he hasn't impressed at all. I don't get the love people have for him. It's not like he's ever shown anything when he's played for us. Yet people are all over Sancho for one bad performance.
Yeah that 36 game figure is misleading. How many times did he play from the start? How many were last 5 minute cameos? How many were consecutive games where he can actually play himself into some form? Most people, me included, don't necessarily see him as a world-beater, but we'll never know if he doesn't get a chance, and I mean a decent chance, not just a game here or there. To make it worse, Fred has been awful, MCT has been injured and Donny hasn't got a minute. It's baffling. It almost makes me think that there is something we don't know - falling out with Ole? Carrying an injury? Who knows.

croadyman

It seems Ole is following Fergies footsteps to the letter. That includes ignoring midfield for years and pretending it doesn't matter :lol:
Ahh yes the infamous "no value in the market" which saw us miss out on Silva, Modric, Sneijder etc

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His name gets consistently mentioned. Like consistently.

Is he really that good?

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Having a poor game so far. Missing simple passes, just got caught on the ball again there next his own 18, The sort of thing we crucify our players for. Also, not much defensive presence, midfield being overran by Brentford. He's not it for me tbh.

Last edited:

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Having poor game so far. Missing simple passes, just got cut on the ball again there next his own 18. The sort of thing we crucify our players for. Also, not much defensive presence, midfield being overran by Brentford. He's not it for me tbh.

Varun

Staff
His name gets consistently mentioned. Like consistently.

Is he really that good?
He is very average. Occasional wonder strike aside, never understood the raving about him. Avg passer, avg defensively, not the most mobile. Someone like McT is already better than him and the caf probably thinks McT needs upgrading

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is very average. Occasional wonder strike aside, never understood the raving about him. Avg passer, avg defensively, not the most mobile. Someone like McT is already better than him and the caf probably thinks McT needs upgrading
He always seemed like a player that had a long pass on him so i assume people thought that he could dictate the tempo of a team.

Moutinho is better at that for Wolves & Neves's defensive ability is average at best and very slow.

I personally love Mctominay and never talk about upgrading on him - we just need to fill our gaps. I'm not sure Neves is all that for one of our gaps.

manutddjw

He’s decent. I know a lot of people freaked at Ole press conference comments about midfield but I agree with him. We’ve over complicated the game with 6, 10, 8. Ole is right. If you’re playing midfield for United, you should be able to both pass and defend. Neves is probably better for us than Rice at this point.

cyberman

This is why I hate judging DMs from lower sides. You can’t really ignore the score line and the way Brentford are handling the midfield but you will still get comments about Neves that’s as if he’s above that

Varun

Staff
He’s decent. I know a lot of people freaked at Ole press conference comments about midfield but I agree with him. We’ve over complicated the game with 6, 10, 8. Ole is right. If you’re playing midfield for United, you should be able to both pass and defend. Neves is probably better for us than Rice at this point.
Hope for Ole and our sake that he doesn't actually mean that. It's a game of 11 players in a system - not 11 individuals doing the best they can. Think of the top mids around now and say in the last decade and how many were good at both ends to merit a place just on the back of it?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Having poor game so far. Missing simple passes, just got cut on the ball again there next his own half. The sort of thing we crucify our players for. Also, not much defensive presence, midfield being overran by Brentford. He's not it for me tbh.
Been saying this for a long time and I've not even watched all that much of Neves. But whenever I have, it's been abundantly clear that he's nothing great at all. Severely overrated by some because he bangs in a belter every now and then and has a decent long pass on him. The comparison with Carrick are always amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.