Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoTMS

I still don't get how so many turn their nose up on him. Probably the same lot who did so on Van Dijk, Mane, Fabinho, Mahrez, Gundogan, etc and look how that turned out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Clearly not that desperate or you’d carry him on your back.
By the time I managed to carry him to Manchester he'd be nearly ready for retirement.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I still think we can get a few extra people with players like Zakaria for less than 10m, Kamara/ Haidara another 10-15 all because of contract situations with Matic leaving that gives us 4 options for the two 6/8 starting positions.

Ekeke

I still wasn't that impressed by him except some decent shots and volleys.

Felt the whole Wolves played well rather than picking a single player that was making them tick.
Thats pretty much it. He is particularly good shooting from range and plays a nice couple of long passes, other than that he's a fairly standard DM defensively and doesn't exert as much control in midfield as you might think for someone who can clearly pass the ball. So he'll score some screamers, and you could make youtube videos of him playing long passes over the top that are great to watch but in terms of overall effectiveness he just doesnt deliver to the extent his reputation suggests. More of a mental thing he's missing.

Moutinho was just as good if not better without even including the goal. Killman and Semedo more impressive too.

Now of course I think he's better than Fred, McTominay and Matic at least in some ways if not overall and I think the ways he is better would help us in attack. Its just that I think theres a lot of midfielders that would also improve us defensively or offensively, and many who would do both at the same time and Neves wouldnt be in my top 5 picks, unless he was available for a cheap deal for some reason

Last edited:

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know it's the Sun, but do you think Wolves would even sell in January?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Neves pushes for the move they might, his contract is running out and he's giving some crucial years to Wolves. He joined them as a stepping stone, would be a little bad for their business model if they didn't allow him to move when a bigger opportunity arose.

arnie_ni

Hed walk into our midfield but still don't think he'd push us towards a title.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We've been linked with this fella every transfer window for the past five years. Not sure he suits the pressing style that the manager wants to implement.

Chairman Steve

Ruben Neves is the fecking new Wesley Sneijder, Nicolas Gaitan and Jack Rodwell at this rate, in that we get linked to him EVERY window.

KingCavani

One of the more overrated players in the league tbh. He's decent but nowhere near top level. He plays much better against sides when there's space to counter but not a guy to break down low blocks.

Drizzle

Thats pretty much it. He is particularly good shooting from range and plays a nice couple of long passes, other than that he's a fairly standard DM defensively and doesn't exert as much control in midfield as you might think for someone who can clearly pass the ball. So he'll score some screamers, and you could make youtube videos of him playing long passes over the top that are great to watch but in terms of overall effectiveness he just doesnt deliver to the extent his reputation suggests. More of a mental thing he's missing.

Moutinho was just as good if not better without even including the goal. Killman and Semedo more impressive too.

Now of course I think he's better than Fred, McTominay and Matic at least in some ways if not overall and I think the ways he is better would help us in attack. Its just that I think theres a lot of midfielders that would also improve us defensively or offensively, and many who would do both at the same time and Neves wouldnt be in my top 5 picks, unless he was available for a cheap deal for some reason
That sums it up well. I've watched him many times and I've rarely seen him boss a midfield or turn in a midfield masterclass. He's also rather slow which is the last thing we need in an already undynamic midfield.

However, as everyone agrees - he's better than what we have. Good passer, looks after the ball quite well, prem-proven etc. Him and Fred would be a decent 2 I think. Nothing special but they'd fight for control of the game at least. For £25-30m it may be worth it as long as it leaves money for the world class midfielder we really need - Rice, Bellingham etc.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Why do we have a habit of licking our own spit from the floor. What was wrong with signing him in the summer if we're gonna sign him in Jan

ShinjiNinja26

Why do we have a habit of licking our own spit from the floor. What was wrong with signing him in the summer if we're gonna sign him in Jan
That’s because absolutely zero planning goes into anything that we do. We probably only became interested on Tuesday morning after he had a good game against us the night before.

The Irish Connection

So that’s mean no Neves as he’s low 80%. I don’t see him anywhere near a midfield that’s going to be a pressing machine, he’s simply too slow for that. Scores a banger every 10 games or so and somehow ends up being a wished for transfer target.
Neves is definitely better than what we have. And his long passing would be an asset. But yeah, if his overall passing completion is much lower than 90 than I’d say we should think twice.

crossy1686

career ending
He was for sale last summer for that price, Wolves pretty much went public with it, I don’t see how that’s changed. They wouldn’t be flogging him at that price if they didn’t already have a replacement either in the squad or lined up from Mendes.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let's go all in for him. Its not like we have any other choice anyway. Either stick with McFred for remain of season, or go with Neves.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Begged for us to sign him in the summer. Bitterly watched him play against us twice this season while wishing we'd snapped him up. Best believe I'm once again praying that we sign him now. Bruno all over again in terms of, should have signed him in the summer, but still well worth admitting our mistake and bringing him here in January.

Neves needs a step up in his career now. He hasn't reached his ceiling yet and I am convinced he would be a massive hit at this club.

DevTheRed

Better than what we have already but not good enough for a title winning team.

100% I’d still take him.. we need more quality on the ball.

Artorias

That sums it up well. I've watched him many times and I've rarely seen him boss a midfield or turn in a midfield masterclass. He's also rather slow which is the last thing we need in an already undynamic midfield.

However, as everyone agrees - he's better than what we have. Good passer, looks after the ball quite well, prem-proven etc. Him and Fred would be a decent 2 I think. Nothing special but they'd fight for control of the game at least. For £25-30m it may be worth it as long as it leaves money for the world class midfielder we really need - Rice, Bellingham etc.
Agree. For £25M it would be a good adition to the team.

BlueHaze

How much could we get him for? 25m, 30m? If so then get him. He'd be an improvement for sure. Get rid of Fred and Scott and bring in another one alongside Neves.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He was good again against us the other night, him and Moutinho compliment each other really well. Moutinho is probably even more impressive for me as he looks more mobile even though he's about 10 years older than Neves. This is my only slight reservation with Neves, from a defensive aspect he can be beat and once he's on the wrong side of the ball he can't recover easily.

It feels a bit like the Pogba/Maguire conundrum once again, we'll sign him and still need another one or two players either side of him to get the best from him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He would be a really good signing for you.

Fergie would have liked Neves - legitimate quality on the ball, disciplined and hard working off the ball, really dependable player in terms of health record, good mentality by all accounts.

I think United needs more players like him and fewer self-proclaimed superstars.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Like Rice, a massive improvement on what we have.

We've seen the atrocities committed by Fred et al for years now. Shocked that some fans still turn their noses up the likes of Neves as we sit just 4 points above Brighton halfway through the season

lilcurt

I live in wolves, the people here love him. A fan favourite and always fights for the cause, never in any trouble off the pitch. Would be a very good signing.

Smores

It's probably only a story because of the game the other day but I'd certainly take him.

We're short on numbers with Pogba, VDB and Matic due to leave so we do need someone in and at the price It's worth it.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Would be a quality addition to the squad. He walks into our first team and improves on what we’ve got.

Even if we buy 1-2 world class midfielders in the summer, imagine having him come off the bench instead of fecking Matic!

Mainoldo

No to squad players just because they are better than McTominay. Are we trying to win the league again or continually churn out signings each year.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Wanted him last summer when he was going for a knockdown price. Surely if there was anything in this we’d have gotten him then?

macheda14

No to squad players just because they are better than McTominay. Are we trying to win the league again or continually churn out signings each year.
It's a balance, if he can come in and improve us for 6 months now then why not.

Currently we have a midfield of McFred.
We buy Neves then for 6 months we have: Neves - one of Mcfred.
In summer we upgrade on McFred and then we have a midfield of: Neves - New Player. McFred as squad players
Following summer: New Player - New player. With Neves and one of McFred (the other probably gone) as squad players.

Status
Not open for further replies.