Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

We signed a clear upgrade in Bruno yes, but i'd say that was finally our scouting department doing what it should be doing. He was hardly a no name at that stage though.

I'm not suggesting don't ever spend big money, but it has to be for the right person. Bruno had everything we needed (goals, work rate, creativity) but then we go and sign DVB who was clearly just a panic buy after we couldn't get Grealish in the door. No planning behind that, just whoever we could get with a fancy name. It seems like the coaching staff were surprised when they realised he's not very dynamic, so what have they been watching?!
I think he is. And we panic bought Nani and Anderson when other clubs were in for them like with DVB and won the treble, so maybe that gave us false confidence

dinostar77

Neves a year too old to feature on this graphic, but its an interesting one never the less. Alot of names i dont recognise but sure other CAF members will.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he is. And we panic bought Nani and Anderson when other clubs were in for them like with DVB and won the treble, so maybe that gave us false confidence
I still think DVB is a good player (although better in CM) but the fact the coaching staff seem baffled that he can't play the same way as Bruno is just weird.

dinostar77

Interesting stat from last season, the only PL midfielder to complete 60 tackles and 60 interceptions? Ruben Neves.

Ekeke

Interesting stat from last season, the only PL midfielder to complete 60 tackles and 60 interceptions? Ruben Neves.
Bissouma made 104 tackles and 64 interceptions. And thats just the first person I looked at :confused:

Edit - Soucek too

I think what you're doing here is not realizing that 104 is how many tackles is the most from a midfielder and 64 is the most interceptions.

Clearly midfielders make more tackles than interceptions most of the time and by some way. So you'd best make the scale 80 / 40 or something

432JuanMata

Bissouma made 104 tackles and 64 interceptions. And thats just the first person I looked at :confused:

Edit - Soucek too

I think what you're doing here is not realizing that 104 is how many tackles is the most from a midfielder and 64 is the most interceptions.

Clearly midfielders make more tackles than interceptions most of the time and by some way. So you'd best make the scale 80 / 40 or something
Bissouma is the player we should be after. I rate Porter so high as I look at the Brighton side and don’t think they have many good players but Bissouma is really the standout

davidmichael

Bissouma is the player we should be after. I rate Porter so high as I look at the Brighton side and don’t think they have many good players but Bissouma is really the standout
Who is this Porter ? As for Bissouma whilst yes he’d be perfect when at his best until his sexual assault case is over no one will be looking at him.

432JuanMata

Who is this Porter ? As for Bissouma whilst yes he’d be perfect when at his best until his sexual assault case is over no one will be looking at him.
Potter sorry. I feel that Brighton side are only good as a team. But Bissouma is quality and I didn’t know he had a case so yeah nobody will go near for now

davidmichael

Potter sorry. I feel that Brighton side are only good as a team. But Bissouma is quality and I didn’t know he had a case so yeah nobody will go near for now
Was just joking, Potter is definitely a talented coach although his blindness to not bringing a quality striker in is a constant stick to beat him with by Brighton fans. Bissouma is quality at his best but all interest in him has got completely quiet over the past couple of months.

432JuanMata

Was just joking, Potter is definitely a talented coach although his blindness to not bringing a quality striker in is a constant stick to beat him with by Brighton fans. Bissouma is quality at his best but all interest in him has got completely quiet over the past couple of months.
Yeah but even if he got a quality striker they wouldn’t be any higher than 9th regardless. He also sold Ben White for 50m and replaced him with Duffy who is average and was on loan last season yet their better defensively.

croadyman

Sounds like Villa will get there first, Coutinho on loan and him is a cracking window for them

EdinburghDevil

Not in the Wolves squad today so we might find out soon if he's coming to Old Trafford or elsewhere.

Haven't seen anything to suggest he's injured

MattofManchester

He has immense potential early in his career, but he's stagnated quite a lot at Wolves and hasn't developed as much as he could.

If he's cheap, we'd just be adding another squad player to the team who can pass this time.
We need someone a bit like Carrick, Kroos or Scholes(excellent passers and controllers of the game) and I don't think Neves is that anymore.
He's usually outshone by Moutinho in that regard.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Some nice links to us picking up it seems which would be good if he has improved his midfield play rather than just being bought for his long shots or volleys.

According to reports a "Portugese camp" has developed within our squad as it splits in to two - maybe signing Ruben Neves won't be a total surprise either.
He's better than what we have, but the question with all potential recruits is whether they can be a part in a top team. He's obviously more than just a long-shot merchant (Gibson had a good shot on him). And along with Moutinho the pair of them have routinely won the midfield battle against us. It's a similar debate to what's now going on in the AWB thread, both AWB and Maguire were better than those they replaced, but so would a lot of players have been, and maybe much better.

If we're looking at the Portuguese connection, Palhinha is probably the most suited to our current needs. A tidy DM, not elite like Rodri, but certainly does the job in his part of the pitch. The trouble with most of us (myself included) is we're hoping for a hybrid of someone who can shield the back four whilst also dictate play from deep and there is no young Busquets going, as far as I'm aware. Before next season we will need two midfielders, so if we can get one now that would increase our chances of a top 4 finish and thereby the chance of competing for the best options in the summer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Some nice links to us picking up it seems which would be good if he has improved his midfield play this season rather than just being bought for his long shots or volleys.

According to reports a "Portugese camp" has developed within our squad as it splits to two - maybe signing Ruben Neves won't be a total surprise either.
I love the posts which bump the thread citing links generally. That way you know it's probably nothing!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Neves a year too old to feature on this graphic, but its an interesting one never the less. Alot of names i dont recognise but sure other CAF members will.

First name is being signed by newcastle for peanuts while we linger on.

L1nk

Am I missing something or I don't see a single link for him to us anywhere? Some tentative links to Arsenal on Twitter but that's about it

Corridor of Uncertainty

First name is being signed by newcastle for peanuts while we linger on.
I don't think he's the answer for us anyway, not if anything that Tim Vickery says is correct.

He said he works hard, a box to box midfielder but is someone that struggles when teams press him, so doesn't sound like someone that would bring an awful lot of composure to our midfield anyway.

arthurka

He is an absolute workhorse. Very good on the ball, he would improve us beyond busy that said the wolves team is so hard working that who knows what might happen when he would drop into this lazy mob.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How was his performance yesterday vs Arsenal?
He was quality.

Pressing, composure on the ball, creativity.
He would be a dream signing for next season
Plus he would go someway as to filling the void of flowing locks and good looks once Cavani goes.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The perception of him is slow and lumbering, but under new management, he’s been allowed to spread his wings and has shown he has a serious engine on him and is more mobile than suggested when Nuno was there. Surprising to see he has such contrasting styles in his locker. I’d argue he’s better at this than he is at that, too.

captaincantona

It is his composure that would improve us most. We treat the ball like an explosive when trying to play out. He always wants the ball...different mentality...wants to take responsibility. An instant upgrade in that regard.

MattofManchester

Could go with him(or Caqueret, maybe?) and Tchouameni. Fix our need for 2 CMs for a total of 90 - 100m, rather than plump 100m at one man.

Knowing this club, we'll sign Declan Rice and forego the CM need for the following summer and we'll bemoan this again next season.

We'd still have around 50m to throw at a CF, and if we're smart(we're not), we'd look at Mazraoui on a free.

croadyman

Could go with him(or Caqueret, maybe?) and Tchouameni. Fix our need for 2 CMs for a total of 90 - 100m, rather than plump 100m at one man.

Knowing this club, we'll sign Declan Rice and forego the CM need for the following summer and we'll bemoan this again next season.
Yep and Pogba will still want out, therefore agree with you we should look at bringing in Tchouameni and him rather than splashing it all on Rice and neglecting CM.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

We'd still have around 50m to throw at a CF, and if we're smart(we're not), we'd look at Mazraoui on a free.
Tchouameni, Kamara, Mazraoui, Antony, Ten Hag :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.