Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good player. I think not pursuing him was fair enough in the end, there were one or two doubts over his suitability. I think he could be great in Spain.
I see him like Raphinha - he's alright, but I don't think anyone will be losing sleep over Barcelona signing him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
why did they sign Kessie
This baffled me at the time. I never saw how Kessie's style suited Barcelona. He's a very good player but he's more of a heavy metal central midfielder than a player in an orchestra. I never saw how his all action style would match what Xavi wants to do with his midfield. Kessie would've been more suited to Madrid but Madrid already has Camavinga. I'm sure Kessie will leave in the next year or so.

DavelinaJolie

Barça legend Gerard Pique to loan his body to the club on one euro contract, so that they can sell his vital organs. Funds raised to be used for Ruben Neves to warm bench.

Pique to go into cold storage until he can self-fund replacement organs. Pique then plans to run for Barcelona president.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This baffled me at the time. I never saw how Kessie's style suited Barcelona. He's a very good player but he's more of a heavy metal central midfielder than a player in an orchestra. I never saw how his all action style would match what Xavi wants to do with his midfield. Kessie would've been more suited to Madrid but Madrid already has Camavinga. I'm sure Kessie will leave in the next year or so.
:o

caid

My thought was it was good to offset their usual midfielders and bring some physicality to the team. Clearly Xavi has limited use for him though and doesn't seem to particularly rate what he does offfer. They bought him because he was free
They were trying to buy Wijnaldum a couple of years back too weren't they? Another midfielder that doesn't fit the usual mold but could bring what others lack.

GlasgowCeltic

Think him FDJ and Pedri would be a very balanced midfield

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Not really a fan of Neves, I expect he'll be more for depth whilst Busquets is phased out for Frenkie. Kessie will be sold.

Oranges038

Maybe they just brought him as he was available for free with the intention to sell him later on to fund other purchases, if that makes sense?
Great idea in fairness and it used to work a treat on the old FM games. Bring them in on a free and sell them for 200k with a 20m addon after playing 1 game and another 20m if they scored a goal.

Not sure if Neves is nimble enough or quick enough to compliment the Barca midfield, can see him going there and being back on loan in the PL with someone like Villa or Everton in a couple of years.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Don’t rate him very highly.
Me neither, with both him and Declan Rice, they just have no foot speed. They get rated because they can pass the ball and because they can tackle. But they are not at all the type who you can pass the ball despite them being covered.

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
Big let down in this WC. I don't think he will ever be as good as he promised at 17/18 yo... Probably too many seasons at wolves

MadMike

He’s gonna be an alright Busquets replacement. His passing game is better than Kessie. His lack of speed not an issue as evidenced by Busquets being main CDM for over a decade there, all the while being slower than my nun walking up the hill saddled with shopping bags.

TsuWave

would be a good upgrade/sidegrade to Eriksen. I think he can play in midfield with Casemiro

diarm

Someone mentioned it in the game day thread just there. I think he’d be a fantastic signing for us.

He sees the game and has both the simple and spectacular pass in his locker. Him and Rashford running in behind would be a lethal combination.

CM

:lol: Like clockwork. Feels like every time we play Wolves the Neves thread is reignited. The bar should be a lot higher

Skills

Snitch
He’s gonna be an alright Busquets replacement. His passing game is better than Kessie. His lack of speed not an issue as evidenced by Busquets being main CDM for over a decade there, all the while being slower than my nun walking up the hill saddled with shopping bags.
Busquets is amazing at taking the ball facing towards his own goal, and not being robbed on the blind side. Neves doesn't have that spacial awareness nor footwork to play out of those situations.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
:lol: Like clockwork. Feels like every time we play Wolves the Neves thread is reignited. The bar should be a lot higher
Yep, feel like its been the case for atleast 3 seasons now. Yet a top 6 club has yet to make a move on him.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
He deserves better than Wolves, I think the United ship has sailed not that I don't think he'd be a bad signing.

I can see someone like Newcastle or Spurs picking him up in the summer.

InfiniteBoredom

Am I missing something? He had that pass and the free kick, but otherwise hardly stood out against a midfield with essentially 2 no.10s. Doesn’t feel like the quintessential ‘playing out of your skin against Utd’ performance.

Skills

Snitch
Quite a simple pass really. Had all the time in the world, and Nouri had all the space in the world.
I have to agree. Those passes are actually a lot easier to play than they look.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Never understood why people want him. Flashy long pass and shot but otherwise not that good.

Matheus Nunes on the other hand will go to a top club.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Thought the World Cup game against Morocco showed why he’s not at a top club, he was rubbish.

NoPace

For a very good reason
Running. Same reason as Tielemans. Fans just see what people do on the ball. I’m guilty of it too, if I was a palace fan I’d tear my hair out every time I see Schlupp in midfield when they are a good passer there away from having a genuinely good team, but he does do a job.

I could see Neves doing okay for us backing up Eriksen, but wouldn’t want him backing up Casemiro.

OrcaFat

I’m a big Neves fan, I think he is good quality and an outstanding character. But we don’t need him any more. With Case and Eriksen here, he’d probably struggle to get regular starts.

If we’re going to sign another CM it should be someone who will expect to start ahead of Eriksen.

Status
Not open for further replies.