Rudiger set to leave Chelsea

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What's going on here then? I thought he was their best CB over the last few years and perfect for the high line/press that Lampard wants to use.

He was instrumental in getting Werner and Havertz convinced to join, and now he's getting booted out.

Right decision?

Classical Mechanic

He was pretty terrible for them last season but it is weird as he seemed to be first choice despite all the errors. Would probably work for us actually.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What's going on here then? I thought he was their best CB over the last few years and perfect for the high line/press that Lampard wants to use.

He was instrumental in getting Werner and Havertz convinced to join, and now he's getting booted out.

Right decision?
He's definitely not been our best CB. Comfortably worse than Zouma and even Christensen, which is saying something. Far better as an agent to bring in German talent than he actually is on the pitch. That said, I think he has especially suffered since his knee injury at the tail end of the 18/19 season; he's significantly declined physically imo.

He's poor in the air, lost a decent amount of pace due to injury, and his decision-making is baffling. While he's our most vocal CB and that does have some value, I'd have any of our other 4 over him 10 times out of 10.

El Jefe

Always thought he was a bit of a clown. Gives off the vibe that he's JT and much better than his teammates but is never too far away when a mistake is made.

passing-wind

Terrible defender from what I've seen of him. Very odd given his stature and typically I'd say Germany produce good centre halfs but as of late many coming from the Bundesliga have been poor. Arsenal doing absolutely no favours to contrary that belief.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
And so it begins.
I got laughed at when I said the new influx of players would annoy the existing players at Chelsea. Rudiger will be the first of many.
Can see CHO, Tammy et al all following suit soon.

Mcking

He always looks like he is at the thick of the action. I will give him that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
And so it begins.
I got laughed at when I said the new influx of players would annoy the existing players at Chelsea. Rudiger will be the first of many.
Rudiger leaving instead of Tomori is awesome news for Chelsea. Just about the most encouraging thing to come out of the Liverpool game was that Tomori was trusted to come on and that he played well. Rudiger is 5th choice right now; this is no different to the David Luiz situation last year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And so it begins.
He's been kept out the squads so far by Christensen, Zouma and Tomori though.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
And so it begins.
Erm - why would buying Thiago particularly annoy Rüdiger? Competition for positions is normal at top clubs. All the other prominent Chelsea buys have been further up the pitch, so they aren't relevant here.

Also, the OP says Rüdiger is being moved out rather than leaving of his own will, so again, not sure why you would take this as a sign of his annoyance with anything.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Shit defender tbh. Not as bad as Mustafi and the like.

Zouma is better and they have Tomori too. Azp can operate at CB now that they have James for the full back role.

edcunited1878

Chelsea will be dipping into the transfer market again next window or in the summer after Silva leaves. And if Rudiger leaves now, that means summer 2021, Chelsea would have only 3(?) recognized first team CBs in Zouma, Christensen, and Tomori? Azpilicueta isn't much of a CB to begin with. I'm sure Chelsea has some other player on loan we don't know about who can fill in at CB...but they'll be buying someone regardless as a CB in the near future.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
They have Sarr on loan so pending if he shines he can come back.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Terrible defender from what I've seen of him. Very odd given his stature and typically I'd say Germany produce good centre halfs but as of late many coming from the Bundesliga have been poor. Arsenal doing absolutely no favours to contrary that belief.
Terrible comment from what I have seen of it. Think he is a dirty customer myself having stamped on Benjamin Pavard on purpose among other things but to say he is terrible is quite the reach. After Kurt, Rudiger is the best defender Chelsea have even if that means at best just above average.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Selling to raise funds for another incoming deal?

Who's going to buy Rudiger in this market ?

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
And so it begins.
If you're annoyed of competition for places at a top title chasing club, maybe you shouldn't be at one? We're not going to stop trying to improve our team just so someone can feel comfortable in a safe bubble, neither should any serious top club.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I used to say he was shit and was amazed when I heard Chelsea fans saying he was their best defender. But now that he is being called shit by everyone else I'm thinking of getting on the defensive for him because he's German :lol:

But yea, average defender. Used to hate seeing him start for Germany, thankfully he doesn't now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I used to say he was shit and was amazed when I heard Chelsea fans saying he was their best defender. But now that he is being called shit by everyone else I'm thinking of getting on the defensive for him because he's German :lol:

But yea, average defender. Used to hate seeing him start for Germany, thankfully he doesn't now.
To be completely fair on him, there was a time where he genuinely our best CB. He's always looked a bit clownish and sort of chaotic when he's defending but was generally quite good, but then he got injured and he really hasn't been the same since.

The Rudiger from last season was several notches worse than the previous seasons.

F-A-C-T-S

Honestly would take him. Young defender with a point to prove...Would cover for Maguire's weaknesses.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's the same situation as we have. Smalling/Rudiger aren't first choice. Smalling/Rudiger want to be first choice so are willing to leave in order to play. United/Chelsea have too many players, can't register all their players so they need to sell.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If you're annoyed of competition for places at a top title chasing club, maybe you shouldn't be at one? We're not going to stop trying to improve our team just so someone can feel comfortable in a safe bubble, neither should any serious top club.
I agree, but when you've been a mainstay in the team, which Rudiger pre Injury and for most of last season was, then you're going to be annoyed.
There were rumours about Mount recently, shut down by his old man swiftly, but we'll see.
Also interesting to note you mention title chasing, I got laughed at on here again because I mentioned that a lot of Chelsea fans believe they are genuine challengers for the title, I'll add you to the title list :)

Genuinely thought he was 24...but still I'd take him. Think Chelsea would go for loan with option to buy in this market.
Yeah 27.

I’m sure they would, and importantly an option, not obligation.

He’s probably better than Lindelof, but it’s marginal. Rudiger, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof all very similar - average players on big contracts.

If it wasn’t for the number of crap overpaid CBs. we already have, he could be a good squad option. But, we have to do better than him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Showing some good games but also can be disaster & shocking, never rate him. To be honest, Zouma isn't that good either and also a bit of clown too in defense, it will only be matter of time until they think he's not good enough.