Rugby 2019 Discussion

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I hope Wales, England and Ireland all win this weekend to set up a wonderful final weekend of the 6 Nations.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Australian teams may or may not want SA teams heading north but many fans in Australia do. There's a great desire in Australia for a more time zone friendly competition, teams from SA don't fit that bill so to speak. An ideal solution for many is kick SA out and put a team or two in Pacific Island in the competition. Games in South Africa are on too late for many Aussies (myself not included) to care. Plus, there's just a general apathy towards South Africa despite the relatively even head to head record between the two countries at test level.
I can understand that. I think it works better because south africa is closer to our times for kick offs. It would also encourage the development of the pacific island teams as clubs and then possibly translate into countries. It could work well.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hopefully England don't have any issues understanding what constitutes a ruck against Italy like they did two years ago.

Can’t see Wales not winning, but hopefully no BP

That way if England get one they’d be a point behind with Scotland to play and Wales playing Ireland

Was looking this morning and unless there was some rule I was missing re the grand slam, it goes points, points difference, tries.

So theoretically Wales could win all five games and lose on its difference to bonus points :lol:

Tarrou

Can’t see Wales not winning, but hopefully no BP

That way if England get one they’d be a point behind with Scotland to play and Wales playing Ireland

Was looking this morning and unless there was some rule I was missing re the grand slam, it goes points, points difference, tries.

So theoretically Wales could win all five games and lose on its difference to bonus points :lol:
you get three points for the slam, i think

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Last night Sale beat Leicester 32-5 at the AJ Bell and only one shot at goal was successful for the match. Rare to say that abut a match where 7 tries were scored and one penalty goal was attempted and missed by Faf De Klerk of Sale.

Hephaestus

It's the patience I love from us in these opportunities, no mistakes when we have an opponent pinned back, just keep looking for the kill.

Tarrou

Scotland have been great second half, gonna be a cracking finish to this

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I hope Carty gets more than 2 mins run-out today. He's unlikely to push ahead of Carbery, due to his versatility, but he has a great opportunity to cement his position ahead of Ross Byrne.

There's much internet gnashing of teeth about Tadhg Beirne missing out again. Is there any logical explanation for it, bar that he's in a straight shootout with Henderson who's the man in possession for now?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Right so if Wales and England finish on 20 points each, what's the tie-breaker?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Right so if Wales and England finish on 20 points each, what's the tie-breaker?
Wikipedia sez...
Tiebreakers
  • If two or more teams are tied on match points, the team with the better points difference (points scored less points conceded) is ranked higher.
  • If the above tiebreaker fails to separate tied teams, the team that scored the higher number of total tries in their matches is ranked higher.
  • If two or more teams remain tied for first place at the end of the championship after applying the above tiebreakers, the title is shared between them.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Wikipedia sez...
Cheers. Well, it's in Wales best interest to beat Ireland scoring 4 tries next week then as England would the 6 nations if it came down to points differential. It'd also be somewhat embarrassing for Wales if they achieve a grand slam but no championship.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Cheers. Well, it's in Wales best interest to beat Ireland scoring 4 tries next week then as England would the 6 nations if it came down to points differential. It'd also be somewhat embarrassing for Wales if they achieve a grand slam but no championship.
They factor this in by awarding a bonus 3pts for grand slam

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
They factor this in by awarding a bonus 3pts for grand slam
Just came across a tweet from Ben Kay outlining this. Eddie Jones has already had a bit to say about the Calcutta Cup match at Twickenham next Saturday by calling it Scotland's World Cup Final.

Reiver

Just came across a tweet from Ben Kay outlining this. Eddie Jones has already had a bit to say about the Calcutta Cup match at Twickenham next Saturday by calling it Scotland's World Cup Final.
Think he is massively overestimating us. If it were at Murrayfield then yes, we would be capable of a WC final performance. At Twickenham? We get mentally defeated as soon as we cross the border into England. Think you would have to go back to when Townsend was actually playing for Scotland to when we last came close down there. And believe me, I take no joy from saying this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Chiefs are so bad that it's actually hilarious. It's one of the rare times where a team has zero qualities.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Chiefs are so bad that it's actually hilarious. It's one of the rare times where a team has zero qualities.
There's a fair chance they'll be 0-6 in a couple of weeks. Any team in the comp would have been smashed by the Crusaders on Saturday to be fair.

JPRouve

Scout
There's a fair chance they'll be 0-6 in a couple of weeks. Any team in the comp would have been smashed by the Crusaders on Saturday to be fair.
But not every team can be smashed by the Sunwolves. The Chiefs are woeful, it doesn't help when good players have the tendency to leave for other Kiwi franchise while the coach is bad.

JPRouve

Scout
It's going to be a long game for France.:(

Rooney1987

If Wales win next week (big if I know) they’d obviously deserve to win the GS but it reminds me of 2017 England, winning games and winning championships but you feel a lose is right round the corner.

Unpopular opinion but for me it would be one of the weaker GS win in recent history. Unlike Ireland last year which felt like a dominant championship win cause they at point so far ahead of everyone else.