Rugby 2019 Discussion

diarm

That looks very strong to me, wow.

The boks will take some stopping imo.
It really does. Was it Graham Henry who said you need 5 world class players to win a world cup? The boks have more than double that.

We're in a period of unparalleled quality in the second row, but their bench option Snyman would still start for pretty much any other country. That backrow is obscene, the half backs world class and in Kolbe they have one of the worlds best finishers.

It makes you wonder how they were underperforming for so long when they can produce players like this but Rassie is a brilliant coach and I reckon they're the team to beat for the cup.

Thisistheone

It really does. Was it Graham Henry who said you need 5 world class players to win a world cup? The boks have more than double that.

We're in a period of unparalleled quality in the second row, but their bench option Snyman would still start for pretty much any other country. That backrow is obscene, the half backs world class and in Kolbe they have one of the worlds best finishers.

It makes you wonder how they were underperforming for so long when they can produce players like this but Rassie is a brilliant coach and I reckon they're the team to beat for the cup.
Agree with all of that. It's been quite a dramatic turnaround for them. About 18 months ago they were a bit of a joke, in terms of where SA teams should be. Now they do indeed look a real force. Wouldn't surpirse me if Kolbe comes out as the star of the tournament.

As long as Pollard stays fit they'll be hard to stop.
Yeah I rate him highly. Not many better around.

This World Cup is going to be very interesting.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah Earls looks the biggest worry but fortunately we have a ready made replacement with the form Conway is in.

Will be interesting to see what he goes with in the backrow. I'd imagine O'Mahony did enough in the second Wales game but had Conan shown a little bit more I think he could have nicked the spot.
Conan looks a different player for Leinster. I wonder is he asked to do a bit of a role that is stifling him somewhat for Ireland. I mean I like O'Mahony but I think Conan is the better player.

diarm

Conan looks a different player for Leinster. I wonder is he asked to do a bit of a role that is stifling him somewhat for Ireland. I mean I like O'Mahony but I think Conan is the better player.
Can't agree with that. I like Conan and I think he's been very impressive in a very good Leinster side but he's done nothing yet in green to suggest he's in the same league as O'Mahony. POM has had a quiet start to 2019 but then so have Sexton, Murray, Ringrose, Stander, Furlong, Best and a handful of others who we give the benefit of the doubt to while Schmidt looked to have them all building towards this. O'Mahony certainly has enough credit in the bank with his performances during the grand slam, tours to the SH, Lions tours and the NZ games and he deserves a little more patience I reckon.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Can't agree with that. I like Conan and I think he's been very impressive in a very good Leinster side but he's done nothing yet in green to suggest he's in the same league as O'Mahony. POM has had a quiet start to 2019 but then so have Sexton, Murray, Ringrose, Stander, Furlong, Best and a handful of others who we give the benefit of the doubt to while Schmidt looked to have them all building towards this. O'Mahony certainly has enough credit in the bank with his performances during the grand slam, tours to the SH, Lions tours and the NZ games and he deserves a little more patience I reckon.
We certainly won't care for the last few months if they all come good in the next few weeks.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Japan 30 Russia 10. Feel like the World Cup really starts tomorrow when Australia play Fiji, France play Argentina and New Zealand take on South Africa. Can't wait for all 3. Australia, France and New Zealand to start with wins.

ChrisNelson

Japan 30 Russia 10. Feel like the World Cup really starts tomorrow when Australia play Fiji, France play Argentina and New Zealand take on South Africa. Can't wait for all 3. Australia, France and New Zealand to start with wins.
I can see at least 2 of those matches being a lot closer than many people think. South Africa to beat New Zealand would be fantastic for the neutral and really set the tournament up well, even if SA are second favourites anyway so it wouldn't be shock of the century.

I'm at T20 Finals Day tomorrow to support the Falcons but hoping I can catch some of the rugby first.

RedDevilRoshi

As expected, Japan win the opening game with a bonus point over Russia. They started off pretty poorly but I put that down to nerves. They are the host nation and after their tremendous performance at RWC 2015 a lot of expectation was on the shoulders of the Japanese players to perform. Once they got that first try, they regained a bit of confidence and settled well into the game. Special mention to the hattrick hero Kotaro Matsushima. Very tricky winger that Russia couldn’t cope with. Could have had a 4th try for himself but TMO denied him that. Speaking about Russia, they had nothing to lose. They are the lowest ranked nation in the tournament and are only there because Romania & Belgium fielded ineligible players and were rightly so docked points. Gave a good account of themselves early on but poor decision making and tired legs let them down in the end.

Overall, a good opening game and we’ve got a fantastic super Saturday to look forward too! Absolutely buzzing!

Predicting both NZ & France to win along with a shock result that sees Fiji edge past the Aussies.

RooneyLegend

Don't ever underestimate Cotzee's incompetence. It was by far the worst coaching spell i've seen from a coach in any sport

diarm

Don't ever underestimate Cotzee's incompetence. It was by far the worst coaching spell i've seen from a coach in any sport
I know the results were better but that De Villiers fella seemed like an awful spoofer as well.

diarm

Few of the rumours bouncing around about the Howley situation are insane. Strong train of thought that it wasn't confined only to him and there could be a serious fallout coming within the Welsh setup.

RooneyLegend

I know the results were better but that De Villiers fella seemed like an awful spoofer as well.
Nah, he was good enough, just hated by the media. Won the tri nations in 09, beat the All Blacks in 3 consecutive matches. We did have extreme levels of quality in our forward line in those days. The only really dodgy decision i remember from him was his insistence that John Smit must play. Sure the man was a fantastic leader but that team had enough leaders to make up for it. Australia got past us in that world cup due to some terrible reffing.

Cotzee's team selection was nothing short of a joke. The man was clueless. Zero reward for form at the highest level of club rugby.The group of coaches he had with him were no better.

RWC 19!!! Australia Vs Fiji

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
World Cup merits its own thread, surely? I can't be arsed to do it either.

Go Fiji!

diarm

That first half was one of the most enjoyable halves of rugby I can remember. Hodge very lucky the ref didn't see his no arms shoulder charge on Yato - especially considering he was the best player on the field for the first half hour and never made it back from his HIA.

arnie_ni

Saracens get over a 5mil fine and 35 points deducted for breaching salary cap rules. Massive sanction there

Brophs

The One and Only
Wonder if they have any creative solutions for paying the fine?

ChrisNelson

As an Exeter Chiefs fan I will not lose any sleep over this :)

Having said that I'm sure it will at the very least be reduced, still a good message to send out though.

arnie_ni

But they get to retain their premiership title and Champions Cup?
Not sure..

Obv now their players salary when combined with the illegal payments are above the cap, so what happens here. Will they have to get the players to agree to pay cuts to get back under, or do they have to get rid of some players or what?

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I feel sorry for Saracens. I think there should be some allowances within the salary cap to keep your home grown players well paid, for example anything you pay a home grown payer over £500k doesn't count towards the cap. Its not as if they've just assembled a team of galacticos or gone shopping in South Africa (recently).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As you may know, Galthié is now France manager and, do not laugh, the goals set by the federation are to win the WC in 2023, 2027 and be on the Six nations podium every year. No pressure.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
As you may know, Galthié is now France manager and, do not laugh, the goals set by the federation are to win the WC in 2023, 2027 and be on the Six nations podium every year. No pressure.
Nothing wrong with aiming high. Plenty can change in four years and you're playing at home at the next World Cup.