Rugby 2019 Discussion

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I think Saracens will prioritise Premiership survival over a Champions Cup run.
they need about 70 points for survival ye? They got 77 last year. I would think they would do that and still have a good cup run.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
they need about 70 points for survival ye? They got 77 last year. I would think they would do that and still have a good cup run.
I had a look at the last 4 premiership seasons to see get an idea of how many points Saracens would need to finish on to stay up. In 2015-16 London Irish went down with 20 points, Bristol went down with 20 points in 2016-17, London Irish went down in 2018 with 22 points to their name and last season Newcastle were relegated with 31 points to their name.

They had 9 points to their name when the 35 point deduction put them on -26, their win at Gloucester has them on -22 at the moment. If the last 4 seasons are anything to go by, 55 more points from here would put them on 33 and thus in a position where they'd expect to stay up.

Thisistheone

Pretty good opening game last night. Toulouse got the job done 2nd half. Love how they play.

Dan_F

Does anyone here go and watch games live? I was thinking of going to watch the Bath game later but tickets are £60, think they’re normally £45/£50 for league matches.

Do other clubs charge as much?

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Does anyone here go and watch games live? I was thinking of going to watch the Bath game later but tickets are £60, think they’re normally £45/£50 for league matches.

I've been to a few leinster matches and the cost is very reasonable. I think about 25 euro on average.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

That looked a great game in the end. I watched a bit of the first half and saw Stockdale's wonder save at the end (and the no-arms tackle seconds before it that the refs seemed to miss!)

diarm

That does seem very steep but Bath is one of the best cities in the UK to watch rugby. I've really enjoyed every match I've been to there and every weekend trip!

Dan_F

That does seem very steep but Bath is one of the best cities in the UK to watch rugby. I've really enjoyed every match I've been to there and every weekend trip!
I live 10 minutes from the stadium, so I guess it’s a bit different for me in terms of the experience. It might have been because I checked on the day of the game, I think they’re slightly cheaper if you buy them earlier on.

The annoying thing is that they are barely increasing the capacity when they re do the stadium, which is mental because pretty much all games are sold out. The ticket prices will just go up more.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Extraordinary win for Connacht vs Montpellier. Lost 3 players before kick-off on top of an already lengthy injury list, on the back of getting hammered by Leinster last weekend, and giving up a try in the first minute which was ominous. Fought their way back into it, ground it out and got a few gifts from Montpellier too :D

Thisistheone

Tough evening for Saracens. Looking like they won't get out of the group with the main focus now on domestic matters.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
In non club rugby related news, Jamie Joseph will remain coach of Japan for the next four years thus ruling him out of the running to be the next All Blacks coach. If Dave Rennie doesn't apply for the AB's job, Scott Robertson would be the odds on favourite to take over from Steve Hansen.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Rugby Australia has appointed Dave Rennie as the new coach of the Wallabies. Happy enough with the appointment. It's basically been rugby's worst kept secret this year, certainly in an Australian context.

Thisistheone

Rugby Australia has appointed Dave Rennie as the new coach of the Wallabies. Happy enough with the appointment. It's basically been rugby's worst kept secret this year, certainly in an Australian context.
Is this with immediate affect? Or do Glasgow keep him til end of the season?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is this with immediate affect? Or do Glasgow keep him til end of the season?
He'll remain with Glasgow until the end of the season but he said he'll spend a bit of time in Australia during the 3 week break at the start of the 6 nations.

kidbob

Extraordinary win for Connacht vs Montpellier. Lost 3 players before kick-off on top of an already lengthy injury list, on the back of getting hammered by Leinster last weekend, and giving up a try in the first minute which was ominous. Fought their way back into it, ground it out and got a few gifts from Montpellier too :D
Only seen this now. That game was fantastic, I felt you guys were good for the win. This weekend will be tough for Connacht but if the injury problems clear up fast enough then I don't doubt that they can make a big push for the QF. Friend is my favourite coach in the game right.

kidbob

John Cooney has to be in the Ireland squad. To be honest I'd give him the 9 shirt for the 6 nations. Marmion or Murray as the back up. I like McGrath but he's a Leinster level player which works well because we generally dominate most games. Also might as well nationalise Parke along with Lowe. Lowe is obvious but Parke is very underrated, guy is an offensive wizard at times.

kidbob

John Cooney has great footballing skills. Just scored a super try and I think he did the same last weekend?

@kidbob really tough game tomorrow,but Connacht look to be in a great frame of mind despite hiccups and Friend is a superb motivator.
:lol::lol::lol: Good timing on Cooney!! I'd love to see all 4 provinces through to the QFs. I'd definitely never right Connacht off!

Thisistheone

Absolute textbook home European performance from Ulster last night. Deserved to win by a much bigger scoreline. Cooney and Coetzee were amazing!

kidbob

Absolute textbook home European performance from Ulster last night. Deserved to win by a much bigger scoreline. Cooney and Coetzee were amazing!
Excellent performance! Connacht very unlucky, still think if the injuries clear up they have a real chance. Leinster have been as bad as I've seen in ages here but still holding on. Come on boys lets get on 4 into the QFs!!

Edit; by unlucky I mean they deserved to lose but in terms of the injuries they are dealing with right now!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Excellent performance! Connacht very unlucky, still think if the injuries clear up they have a real chance. Leinster have been as bad as I've seen in ages here but still holding on. Come on boys lets get on 4 into the QFs!!

Edit; by unlucky I mean they deserved to lose but in terms of the injuries they are dealing with right now!
I was listening to it on Galway Bay FM, the tension was great til Toulouse pulled away.

kidbob

I was listening to it on Galway Bay FM, the tension was great til Toulouse pulled away.
To be honest you were as good as could be expected. You gave them a tough game but they kind of dominated for the most part if you know what I mean. If you get players back soon then you are more than capable of coming 2nd behind Tolouse. Honestly I really rate your chances and hope for the best for Connacht.

Leinster wise I think we got a wake up call today. We should have lost but in a weird way if we were razor sharp it would have been an easy 4 try bonus point win. I think we are probably the best team in Europe at our best but I do feel our 'talents' should be shared around the country because of the sheer population we have.

kidbob

Aki renewed with Connacht. Talk that it's a central contract, as it should be. @unchanged_lineup opens up potential to bring in couple of players? Have to think he's one of if not your highest earner.

Edit: confirmed it's central, proper order. I love Aki as a player.

On a controversial note I have no problem with the resident rule but am glad it's been stretched out to 5 years. Ireland have a small population and most of our athletes play our national sports and then football takes a few so it helps us be more competitive. I do feel for the likes of Fiji, Tonga etc too so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite! I'd have loved to see Nacewa play for Ireland after adoring him at Leinster for his whole career (honestly he's only behind BOD and Sexton as legends in my mind) and I hope to god we can convince Lowe to play for us. On one hand he's from New Zealand but on the other hand the guy deserves to get to show his talent on an International stage and if he feels comfortable playing for Ireland then why not. It's different from football because football is by far the most played game on the planet. I'd honestly have no problem with an Irish born player deciding to play for another nation, except England of course!

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Aki renewed with Connacht. Talk that it's a central contract, as it should be. @unchanged_lineup opens up potential to bring in couple of players? Have to think he's one of if not your highest earner.

Edit: confirmed it's central, proper order. I love Aki as a player.

On a controversial note I have no problem with the resident rule but am glad it's been stretched out to 5 years. Ireland have a small population and most of our athletes play our national sports and then football takes a few so it helps us be more competitive. I do feel for the likes of Fiji, Tonga etc too so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite! I'd have loved to see Nacewa play for Ireland after adoring him at Leinster for his whole career (honestly he's only behind BOD and Sexton as legends in my mind) and I hope to god we can convince Lowe to play for us. On one hand he's from New Zealand but on the other hand the guy deserves to get to show his talent on an International stage and if he feels comfortable playing for Ireland then why not. It's different from football because football is by far the most played game on the planet. I'd honestly have no problem with an Irish born player deciding to play for another nation, except England of course!
Huge news for Connacht. The first central contract for us.

kidbob

Huge news for Connacht. The first central contract for us.
Long overdue! Honestly Connacht have shown the talent that we now can have 4 competitive teams. Not to sound like a prick but Leinster are producing so many talents right now that if we want to keep them in Ireland along with what the other 3 are producing then we need the space for everyone. It sounds arrogant but we've been guilty of taking from everyone else so it's only fair that you get to benefit from our population and the money we benefit from. I've said it before but at this stage Connacht have proven they deserve to be treated like the others. In my mind it's about the national team overall and I'll cheer for any Irish province over anyone else. I'd rather lose to the other 3 than a foreign side and Connacht beating us in the Pro 14 was the only final loss that I was kind of okay with.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Israel Folau and Rugby Australia have reached a confidential settlement. Folau wanted $14 million but it doesn't look like we'll find out hot much he received from Rugby Australia.

Joint statement from Folau and Rugby Australia:

"Rugby Australia, NSW Rugby and Israel Folau have today settled their legal dispute following the dismissal of Israel Folau after he posted a religious message on social media (the Social Media Post), The Social Media Post reflected Mr Folau’s genuinely held religious beliefs, and Mr Folau did not intend to harm or offend any person when he uploaded the Social Media Post. Mr Folau wants all Australians to know that he does not condone discrimination of any kind against any person on the grounds of their sexuality and that he shares Rugby Australia’s commitment to inclusiveness and diversity. Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby do not in any way agree with the content of the Social Media Post. Inclusiveness is one of Rugby’s core values and it welcomes all people to the game, including all members of the LGBTI community. While it was not Rugby Australia’s intention, Rugby Australia acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused to the Folaus. Similarly, Mr Folau did not intend to hurt or harm the game of rugby and acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused. Rugby Australia and Mr Folau wish each other well for the future. The Parties do not intend to comment further on the terms of their settlement as it is confidential.''

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/12/04/israel-folau-mediation

2021 British and Irish Lions tour fixtures:
Saturday 3 July - Stormers (Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)
Wednesday 7 July - South Africa 'Invitational' (Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth)
Saturday 10 July - Sharks (Jonsson Kings Park, Durban)
Wednesday 13 July - South Africa 'A' team (Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit)
Saturday 17 July - Bulls (Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria)
Saturday 24 July - South Africa (First Test, FNB Stadium, Johannesburg)
Saturday 31 July - South Africa (Second Test, Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)
Saturday 7 August - South Africa (Third Test, Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg)

I half expected all 3 tests to be on the highveld but nonetheless, the Lions have a formidable challenge ahead unless the Boks regress from winning the World Cup.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ian Foster has been appointed as New Zealand's new head coach on an initial two year deal. The Bledisloe Cup series will see two ex Waikato Chiefs coaches coaching against each other.

Thisistheone

Ian Foster has been appointed as New Zealand's new head coach on an initial two year deal. The Bledisloe Cup series will see two ex Waikato Chiefs coaches coaching against each other.
Big sigh of relief from everyone else that it wasn't Scott Robertson

Traub

Israel Folau and Rugby Australia have reached a confidential settlement. Folau wanted $14 million but it doesn't look like we'll find out hot much he received from Rugby Australia.

Joint statement from Folau and Rugby Australia:

"Rugby Australia, NSW Rugby and Israel Folau have today settled their legal dispute following the dismissal of Israel Folau after he posted a religious message on social media (the Social Media Post), The Social Media Post reflected Mr Folau’s genuinely held religious beliefs, and Mr Folau did not intend to harm or offend any person when he uploaded the Social Media Post. Mr Folau wants all Australians to know that he does not condone discrimination of any kind against any person on the grounds of their sexuality and that he shares Rugby Australia’s commitment to inclusiveness and diversity. Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby do not in any way agree with the content of the Social Media Post. Inclusiveness is one of Rugby’s core values and it welcomes all people to the game, including all members of the LGBTI community. While it was not Rugby Australia’s intention, Rugby Australia acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused to the Folaus. Similarly, Mr Folau did not intend to hurt or harm the game of rugby and acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused. Rugby Australia and Mr Folau wish each other well for the future. The Parties do not intend to comment further on the terms of their settlement as it is confidential.''

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/12/04/israel-folau-mediation

2021 British and Irish Lions tour fixtures:
Saturday 3 July - Stormers (Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)
Wednesday 7 July - South Africa 'Invitational' (Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth)
Saturday 10 July - Sharks (Jonsson Kings Park, Durban)
Wednesday 13 July - South Africa 'A' team (Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit)
Saturday 17 July - Bulls (Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria)
Saturday 24 July - South Africa (First Test, FNB Stadium, Johannesburg)
Saturday 31 July - South Africa (Second Test, Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)
Saturday 7 August - South Africa (Third Test, Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg)

I half expected all 3 tests to be on the highveld but nonetheless, the Lions have a formidable challenge ahead unless the Boks regress from winning the World Cup.
I have to get tickets to the game at FNB.