Rugby 2020 discussion

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
France published the first list from the new staff and lets say that the team is different, 19 new faces out of 42.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Super rugby starts on January 31 by the way. Eddie Jones autobiography came way as a Christmas present. Fair to say it's a fascinating read.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I have two questions for Munster fans.

1. What sort of impact has Stephen Larkham made as attack coach?

2. What sort of coach are the NSW Waratahs getting in the form of Rob Penney? I like watching the Tahs lose but for the good of Aussie rugby, they, like all our super rugby teams, need to be strong.

JPRouve

Scout
Widely reported tonight that Saracens are on the brink of automatic relegation after most likely breaching the salary cap again.
I can feel the french sharks circling around the Saracens, there is a lot of players to target.

diarm

I have two questions for Munster fans.

1. What sort of impact has Stephen Larkham made as attack coach?

2. What sort of coach are the NSW Waratahs getting in the form of Rob Penney? I like watching the Tahs lose but for the good of Aussie rugby, they, like all our super rugby teams, need to be strong.
1. Larkham hasn't been here long enough to really call anything yet but his first few months, working with the youngsters while the internationals were away at the world cup was really encouraging - we were playing some really intelligent attacking rugby and scoring some lovely tries. Then the out of form internationals came back and we've hardly seen a minute from our promising youngsters since, all while our performances have got progressively worse week on week.

At the end of the day though, our front 5 is weak as piss and it doesn't matter who your attack coach is - you're not going to trouble the Saracens, Racings, Leinsters or Clermonts of this world without any grunt in the tight. Dave Kilcoyne is the only player who can play 1-5 who you'd call a European Cup level player, let alone an international. We also don't have a 7 worth the jersey or a 10 who can cope with playing behind a retreating pack. As if all this wasn't enough, key players like O'Mahony, Murray and Earls are playing like drains.

2. Rob Penney is a class act but he needs to be given the time and patience to implement the core skills and structures from the bottom up, even if there is a short term dip while the groundwork is laid. Munster didn't give him that time and space - we got all uppity about what the "Munster Way" was (ignoring the fact we no longer had the once in a generation abundance of top class forwards upon which the "Munster Way" of the 2000's was built) and kicked him out before we could reap the rewards of what he was doing.

Generally speaking, Australian rugby players have good basic skills so I'd expect to see him thrive there. I've met him and he's a seriously decent bloke as well.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
1. Larkham hasn't been here long enough to really call anything yet but his first few months, working with the youngsters while the internationals were away at the world cup was really encouraging - we were playing some really intelligent attacking rugby and scoring some lovely tries. Then the out of form internationals came back and we've hardly seen a minute from our promising youngsters since, all while our performances have got progressively worse week on week.

At the end of the day though, our front 5 is weak as piss and it doesn't matter who your attack coach is - you're not going to trouble the Saracens, Racings, Leinsters or Clermonts of this world without any grunt in the tight. Dave Kilcoyne is the only player who can play 1-5 who you'd call a European Cup level player, let alone an international. We also don't have a 7 worth the jersey or a 10 who can cope with playing behind a retreating pack. As if all this wasn't enough, key players like O'Mahony, Murray and Earls are playing like drains.

2. Rob Penney is a class act but he needs to be given the time and patience to implement the core skills and structures from the bottom up, even if there is a short term dip while the groundwork is laid. Munster didn't give him that time and space - we got all uppity about what the "Munster Way" was (ignoring the fact we no longer had the once in a generation abundance of top class forwards upon which the "Munster Way" of the 2000's was built) and kicked him out before we could reap the rewards of what he was doing.

Generally speaking, Australian rugby players have good basic skills so I'd expect to see him thrive there. I've met him and he's a seriously decent bloke as well.
Thanks for the insight on both Larkham and Penney.

Rooney1987

Me too. As I said in that thread Leicester Tigers can break now.

Fascinating to see how many players, surely the likes or Maro, Farrell and the Vunipola‘s wont stay. I think the likes of Goode and Barrett will stick it out.

JPRouve

Scout
Me too. As I said in that thread Leicester Tigers can break now.

Fascinating to see how many players, surely the likes or Maro, Farrell and the Vunipola‘s wont stay. I think the likes of Goode and Barrett will stick it out.
The question is who has enough cap room to add their wages?

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
To be honest I feel sorry for Saracens. Produced lots of lions quality players from their own academy, and want to pay them what they deserve. Signing Elliot Daly and Jack Singleton this season was probably a provocation too fat though.

Rooney1987

The question is who has enough cap room to add their wages?
It’s a good question, Iv read even for a Championship club to gain promotion they must have complied with Premiership rugby’s salary cap regulations for at least two seasons. if that’s the case with Saracens I was gonna say they’ll do a Falcons and loan a few big names out till the next season but I doubt that now.

Tigers, Bristol, Sale and Quins will all have enough for at least 1 big player unsure the rest. I can see Maitland going to Scotland, Daly back to Wasps and already rumours Kruis to Japan. If Goode or Barrett don’t stay they’ll find big cash in France so that won’t be an issue. The likes of Isiekwe and other top young players won’t have an issue as there wages should be ok.

arnie_ni

Do England have the home country rule for selection like other countries?

If all these guys go to France will they not be illegible for selection?

On the salary cap topic, its not fair that all Europe doesnt have the same limit, makes the European cup bit of a farce.

if you were saracens you wouldn’t let any players leave mid season, just keep them all together and go and win champions cup again

going down anyway

Fiskey

if you were saracens you wouldn’t let any players leave mid season, just keep them all together and go and win champions cup again

going down anyway
Yeah, I think that's the plan now. Got some great young players so keep the majority of them together, let Farrel and Itoje go to London Irish for a year on loan and come back in a year's time

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Former NRL prop Jason Ryles will join England's coaching staff as skills coach from November when his time with the Melbourne Storm NRL club as their defence coach comes to and end.

This means Eddie Jones' coaching staff will contain 1 Aussie, 1 Kiwi and 1 South African. All they need is somebody from Argentina and all four Rugby Championship nations will be represented on his coaching staff.

Fiskey

According to Rugbyrama, he was late to a team meeting.
I don't think Townsend and Finn get on. I'm actually interested to see how Adam Hastings gets on anyway, he's been getting better and better.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think Townsend and Finn get on. I'm actually interested to see how Adam Hastings gets on anyway, he's been getting better and better.
Yeah, it seems like it was used as an excuse to get rid of him. As you say there are rumours of tension between Russell and Townsend. I'm curious to see more of Hastings too

Silas

Yeah, I think that's the plan now. Got some great young players so keep the majority of them together, let Farrel and Itoje go to London Irish for a year on loan and come back in a year's time
Might be more than a year though. Saw that according to current rules, to be promoted from the Championship, you need to prove your team has been under the prem's salary cap for the past two seasons. The regulations are under review at the moment, so it'll be interesting to see if this changes.

RedDevilRoshi

Yeah, it seems like it was used as an excuse to get rid of him. As you say there are rumours of tension between Russell and Townsend. I'm curious to see more of Hastings too
Was something to do with drinking in the training camp, then leaving when he was told he’d not be selected for the opening game, allegedly.
Also it’s been reported numerous times up here that Russell & Townsend don’t see eye to eye with each other. They had a barney at Twickenham last year. Then add in the court case with his dad and the SRU. It makes me wonder if we'll see him play for Scotland again. Shame as when he's good, he’s really good but when he’s s***, he’s really s*** and can cost us the game.

I like Hastings a lot. Really stepped up this year for Glasgow but the international stage is a completely different level.

Having said all that, I’m not feeling confident at all heading into this campaign. Townsend should have been sacked after our dismal World Cup campaign.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
So what are we expecting in this year's Six Nations tournament?

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I have no idea, Wales, France and Ireland have new managers, so I'm not even sure about the style that these teams will have. In the case of France it's going to be one of the youngest set of players that I have seen, it's kind of exciting.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Will be going over to Paris to watch the game on Sunday - really looking forward to it!!

JPRouve

Scout
Where are the welsh when we need them? What do you guys think about the new coaching staff and what are your expectations? If need be can we count on you to bring England down to earth?

JPRouve

Scout

This is the first XV concocted by Galthié. As you can see the pack is made of players that are generally really good at scrummaging and on lineouts, most of you will know the backs at the exception of Bouthier who is Montpellier starting fullback, he can also play as a flyhalf, he is oldish(27)but new to the very top since he was playing in the lower leagues before this season, he has a solid kicking game but will run with the ball quite often.

I'm curious to see if Edwards already managed to put his mark on the defense.