Rugby 2020 discussion

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
In a match that contained nearly as many cards as one's birthday, the Wallabies have beaten the All Blacks 24-22. Good result after last week's horrow show. Now, I don't want to be a party pooper but where was that effort last week when the Bledisloe Cup was on the line?

A real lowlight was Tim Horan and Phil Kearns wanting both red cards to be yellow cards and thus encouraging the referee to make the wrong call just to preserve the spectacle. If you feel that way boys, watch NRL where dangerous high tackles are dealt with via a slap on the wrist basically.
Thought the ref was excellent, got all the big decisions right (I missed the Australia yellow so don’t know on that one).
I used to get frustrated by the newer laws on shoulders but I think they’ve got them right now. The ones that piss me off are when the player’s falling and the tackler can’t possibly readjust (not that either of today’s were). When we were seeing reds for them all the time it was very frustrating but they seem to be taking that into account as a mitigating factor now which is good

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Wallabies do play pretty well against the All Blacks at the magnificent Suncorp Stadium. There have been 8 Bledisloe Cup tests at Suncorp in the professional era and no test has been decided by more than 7 points. The AB's lead the head to head 4 wins to 3 with an 18 all draw in 2012.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The Wallabies do play pretty well against the All Blacks at the magnificent Suncorp Stadium. There have been 8 Bledisloe Cup tests at Suncorp in the professional era and no test has been decided by more than 7 points. The AB's lead the head to head 4 wins to 3 with an 18 all draw in 2012.

Cheers for the video, I was looking for one. The red cards seem reasonable enough, especially the first one. Kinda sickening the way his head snapped back.

Chasing the Sun: SA world cup run documentary

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Every episode of "Chasing The Sun'', a documentary on SA's renaissance under Rassie Erasmus which ended with the Boks becoming world champions.

Episode 1:
Episode 2:
Episode 3:
Episode 4:
Episode 5:

Zoo

Rugby dust ups are so funny. They can’t do much to release that aggression

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I said before the game that he was nailed on to score on his debut. I really should have put a bet on.

Great to see him finally get his debut. He's some player.
Glad he's playing for Ireland. It feels a bit like Bundee Aki, just waiting for him to be eligible, although that was a bit more nervy given he could have been tempted abroad after Lam left.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
James Lowe scores on his debut to finish the match. He's absolutely going to be a player that other teams' fans hate.
He looks exciting.
Glad he opted for us.
Nice to see a somewhat better showing than against France. Still in parts it was sloppy so in a way its encouraging knowing were building again.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
They were over-achieving under Gatland to be fair. I could never figure out how Ireland came away without a win so many times when he was there.
They don’t look capable of creating anything. As an Englishman, it’s such a shame to see....

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Argentina's first win over NZ. 402 days (!) since they played their last test match.

Were there any cards in the game? Looked like there were a few moments NZ could have got some yellows. Very poor discipline if the highlights are anything to go by.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Argentina's first win over NZ. 402 days (!) since they played their last test match.

Were there any cards in the game? Looked like there were a few moments NZ could have got some yellows. Very poor discipline if the highlights are anything to go by.
No cards but there was plenty of niggle in the first 20 minutes or so. There was nothing fortunate about Argentina's win, they were excellent with and without the ball. Applying scoreboard pressure proved pivotal for the Pumas as New Zealand paid a price for their lack of discipline in the first half.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No cards but there was plenty of niggle in the first 20 minutes or so. There was nothing fortunate about Argentina's win, they were excellent with and without the ball. Applying scoreboard pressure proved pivotal for the Pumas as New Zealand paid a price for their lack of discipline in the first half.
Yeah Pumas were excellent and well worth their first win over the AB’s.

Do you think Foster will last long?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Fair play to them. Are they in the tournament regularly or just this season?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Fair play to them. Are they in the tournament regularly or just this season?
They play regularly with ourselves, South Africa (who’s missing this year due to covid). Used to be the tri nations and then Argentina was added to form the championship.

same as their club sides really, who are part of super rugby. Though there were talks of changing the super rugby format.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah Pumas were excellent and well worth their first win over the AB’s.

Do you think Foster will last long?
How long Foster lasts will hinge on what happens in a fourtnight. if Argentina beat New Zealand again in two weeks, Foster's future will be a discussion point and the shadow of Scott Robertson will loom large.

Covid permitting, the AB's will potentially play SA, France and England next year and should he remain in charge, that's where Foster will ultimately be judged. Based on what's happened so far, I wouldn't hold my breath on Foster being AB's coach after next year.

Last edited:

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I'm proud of what the pumas did today
All Blacks were the last top team for the Pumas to beat, a few times Argentina was very close but All Blacks always play till the last second
BTW, All Blacks is my second team, i only want them to lose against us

Ish

Lights on for Luke
How long Foster lasts will hinge on what happens in a fourtnight. if Argentina beat New Zealand again in two weeks, Foster's future will be a discussion point and the shadow of Scott Robertson will loom large.

Covid permitting, the AB's will potentially play SA, France and England next year and should he remain in charge, that's where Foster will ultimately be judged. Based on what's happened so far, I wouldn't hold my breath on Foster being AB's coach after next year.
Yeah I think it was the wrong choice but then again, I’m not as avid a follower of rugby as I am football.

He just seems dated and they needed a fresh start. Not more of the same. Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I know that noone else is likely watching this, but the ref is bugging the hell out of me in the Connacht Scarlets match by calling "UUUSSSSE" at rucks, then allowing another 6 or 7 seconds before it actually is. What's the point? :lol: