Rugby 2020 discussion

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We’ve very kindly dropped Jack Willis ahead of the Ireland game. Obviously don’t think they’ll have any ball to steal anyway

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is Eddie Jones ever not on the WUM? :D
I did get a slight giggle out of his 'United Nations' comment when talking about Ireland's team. England's coaching staff could be described in that manner too.

Last edited:

diarm

I did get a slight giggle out of his 'United Nations' comment when talking about Ireland's team. England's coaching staff could be described in that manner too.
He's taking the piss but he's 100% right.

The rugby team representing Ireland in an international test match this weekend includes:

1 English head coach
1 half English forwards coach
1 English/South African backs coach
3 New Zealanders
2 South Africans
7 Leinstermen
2 Munstermen
1 Ulsterman

That is absolutely piss poor.

Especially considering that journeymen like Gibson-Park and Roux are no better than available Irish players. I love seeing players like Stander, De Allende, Jim Williams and Dougie Howlett line up for Munster, just as I loved watching guys like Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo and Solskjaer play for United, but I fail to see the point in international sport if the teams are made up of the same mix of nationalities as the club game.

I get the argument that guys have guys have moved across borders and made lives for themselves in Ireland - investing time and effort into our countries and I genuinely welcome that. I love that Ireland is becoming more multicultured and diverse - it is a much, much better country for it. But you can move to another country and become a good and welcome citizen, while still maintaining your own nationality - I have lived, worked and been made feel welcome all over the world and spent as many years living as an expat as I have at home, but I have always considered myself Irish. Had I been talented enough to represent my country in sport, I would have wanted to do so for Ireland.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

The rugby team representing Ireland in an international test match this weekend includes:

1 English head coach
3 New Zealanders
2 South Africans
7 Leinstermen
2 Munstermen
1 Ulsterman

Especially considering that journeymen like Gibson-Park and Roux are no better than available Irish players. I love seeing players like Stander, De Allende, Jim Williams and Dougie Howlett line up for Munster, just as I loved watching guys like Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo and Solskjaer play for United, but I fail to see the point in international sport if the teams are made up of the same mix of nationalities as the club game.

I get the argument that guys have guys have moved across borders and made lives for themselves in Ireland - investing time and effort into our countries and I genuinely welcome that. I love that Ireland is becoming more multicultured and diverse - it is a much, much better country for it. But you can move to another country and become a good and welcome citizen, while still maintaining your own nationality - I have lived, worked and been made feel welcome all over the world and spent as many years living as an expat as I have at home, but I have always considered myself Irish. Had I been talented enough to represent my country in sport, I would have wanted to do so for Ireland.
I think this is a major problem for Munster as well, it looks as though they are looking for foreigners at every position, just look at the flankers, this is Munster, we've had Foley, Wallace, Quinlan, leamy, o Mahoney, a steady production line which had pretty much halted since we started looking for outside help.
We brought in an English man at fullback when it looks like we have one coming through in Daly, probably the highlight of us getting best buy Leinster last season

It's one thing for us to be looking for help in the Centre position is just not the Munster way to produce Centres,

diarm

I think this is a major problem for Munster as well, it looks as though they are looking for foreigners at every position, just look at the flankers, this is Munster, we've had Foley, Wallace, Quinlan, leamy, o Mahoney, a steady production line which had pretty much halted since we started looking for outside help.
We brought in an English man at fullback when it looks like we have one coming through in Daly, probably the highlight of us getting best buy Leinster last season

It's one thing for us to be looking for help in the Centre position is just not the Munster way to produce Centres,
To be fair, I think Munster have been a bit better in this respect this season. I totally agree with you that the last few seasons of bang average journeymen like Botha and Cloete taking up minutes in the backrow was poor.

But this year we've seen the emergence of Coombes, Hodnett and O'Sullivan as serious prospects in the backrow, while O'Donoghue has probably played more minutes than anyone else in the pack.

Not sure what Gallagher was signed for - as you say, he doesn't look in anyway an improvement on Daly and with Healy, Crowley and Flannery all coming through at 10, at least one of those (Flannery I reckon) is likely to be nudged towards the 15 shirt.

Snyman and De Allende are the calibre of import Munster should be targeting. Two or three of those players in a squad can only be a good thing, it's the Kleyns, Bothas, Cloetes, McCarthys, Gallagher's etc that we should be leaving where they are and backing our own.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Full time in Newcastle: Argetina 15 Australia 15. Five penalty goals each and sadly some ammunition for those in AUS who love to knock rugby.

arnie_ni

To be fair, I think Munster have been a bit better in this respect this season. I totally agree with you that the last few seasons of bang average journeymen like Botha and Cloete taking up minutes in the backrow was poor.

But this year we've seen the emergence of Coombes, Hodnett and O'Sullivan as serious prospects in the backrow, while O'Donoghue has probably played more minutes than anyone else in the pack.

Not sure what Gallagher was signed for - as you say, he doesn't look in anyway an improvement on Daly and with Healy, Crowley and Flannery all coming through at 10, at least one of those (Flannery I reckon) is likely to be nudged towards the 15 shirt.

Snyman and De Allende are the calibre of import Munster should be targeting. Two or three of those players in a squad can only be a good thing, it's the Kleyns, Bothas, Cloetes, McCarthys, Gallagher's etc that we should be leaving where they are and backing our own.
Don't think yous need to worry to much. If there is a genuine talent coming through the irfu have made it clear they'll step in.

They made ulster boot pienaar and we had no one behind him. We had to go and sign cooney and then when he is by playing by far and away the best of any Irish 9, they don't pick him anyway.

Zoo

No tries but I quite enjoyed the Australia-Argentina game, signs of progress for both teams.

dbs235

1 English head coach
3 New Zealanders
2 South Africans
7 Leinstermen
2 Munstermen
1 Ulsterman

I don't think 3 years is long enough to be in a country to represent their national team.

arnie_ni

It was some try but from a defense point that was absolutely abysmal.

Just awful.
Horrible. Not that its his fault but James lowe just walked back. As blindside wing as soon as we lose that line out he need to drop back for what 90 percent of the time is just a boot up field.

Who missed the tackle in midfield?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Horrible. Not that its his fault but James lowe just walked back. As blindside wing as soon as we lose that line out he need to drop back for what 90 percent of the time is just a boot up field.

Who missed the tackle in midfield?
I noticed that in the replay and didn't understand what was going on.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ireland just seem very undercooked. Reminiscint of the game before the RWC where they looked a tier below England.
I was at that match and it was just sad.
This looks similar. It looks sloppy and error strewn again.

England made to look like like prime all blacks.

fecking annoying.

arnie_ni

I noticed that in the replay and didn't understand what was going on.
It was pitiful, he looked like he was blowing out of his ass. The kick by may was that bad and went in field that much he may have been able to recover if he sprinted back as soon as we lost the line out.

Getting dominated up front here

arnie_ni

One of the worst first halves by a 9 i can remember in a long time. Can't understand why he's playing