Rugby 2020 discussion

diarm

Is it fair to say England are favourites now?
Yep. I can't see us beating France in Paris. They'll be out for blood after failing to show up in Scotland and I think will have too much power for us.

If we did manage to sneak a win over there, it'll all come down to who can batter Italy by more points when the rescheduled matches happen for England and ourselves.

dbs235

Yep. I can't see us beating France in Paris. They'll be out for blood after failing to show up in Scotland and I think will have too much power for us.

If we did manage to sneak a win over there, it'll all come down to who can batter Italy by more points when the rescheduled matches happen for England and ourselves.
For some reason I though the game was in Dublin, didn't realise it was in Paris. That's good news as an England fan :lol: The Six Nations is such a tough tournament by any sport's standards.. Scotland away isn't easy the moment and winning away in London/Paris/Cardiff/Dublin is a very tough ask.

RedDevilRoshi

Absolutely mint day today, Scotland and United! Fantastic :drool::D:devil:
Phenemonal day mate, cannot beat it! :D

Only watched the 1st half of this game before turning over for the Utd game. Just finished watching the 2nd half now.

I thought we played really well today. Contained them early on and managed to capitalise with Hastings' kicking, and with their loss of discipline, we really stepped up and capitalised. I thought Jamie Ritchie was sensational today, as was Gilchrist. At times today, we genuinely looked a few players short of a competitive side (though I accept it's hard to judge against 14 men). If we can get Russell back into that lineup (though Hastings was also great today), and a fit and healthy Darcy Graham, we'd pose a good threat again.

I don't see us winning in Wales next week, but then again I didn't give us a prayer today either. When the summer rolls around and some new players become eligible for selection, I hope we jump at the chance to include them. I'm particularly thinking about Duhan van der Merwe, who's been incredible for Edinburgh the past 2 or 3 years and isn’t really going to be receiving a call-up from the Boks.

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
France remind me of Spurs, they always find a way to mess things up. How can you beat England and Wales then lose to Scotland? Pathetic.

stepic

you'd think they would just play in an empty stadium rather than delay it until October.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Phenemonal day mate, cannot beat it! :D

Only watched the 1st half of this game before turning over for the Utd game. Just finished watching the 2nd half now.

I thought we played really well today. Contained them early on and managed to capitalise with Hastings' kicking, and with their loss of discipline, we really stepped up and capitalised. I thought Jamie Ritchie was sensational today, as was Gilchrist. At times today, we genuinely looked a few players short of a competitive side (though I accept it's hard to judge against 14 men). If we can get Russell back into that lineup (though Hastings was also great today), and a fit and healthy Darcy Graham, we'd pose a good threat again.

I don't see us winning in Wales next week, but then again I didn't give us a prayer today either. When the summer rolls around and some new players become eligible for selection, I hope we jump at the chance to include them. I'm particularly thinking about Duhan van der Merwe, who's been incredible for Edinburgh the past 2 or 3 years and isn’t really going to be receiving a call-up from the Boks.
Absolutely mate, marvellous :D

People can mention the red card and say 'oh well, they only had 14 men'...so what? We still had to exploit that and we did very well. The first two tries we crafted were brilliant. The back row were bang on, fair play to all of them but you're right, of particular note were Gilchrist and Ritchie. Graham and Russell to come back in, plus a few more of the younger lads that are playing well for Edinburgh and the Warriors and we are looking at a very good squad.

By the way, the defence has been outstanding. Conceded less points than Wales (and possibly Ireland & England I think?), the new defence coach Steve Tandy has made a massive difference and we are much harder to break down, he deserves a lot of credit for his job so far. Aye he's mint, it would be a real coup if we can get him in the ranks. Edinburgh have been brilliant for the last 18 months or so and it's great to see them doing well.

Gutted to hear that all the games are now at risk from being postponed. I love Rugby and I love the 6 Nations, along with the Open Championship in Golf it is probably my favourite sporting tournament outside of Football. Disappointing it may be finished in October, just when we have built up some momentum.

RedDevilRoshi

I’m surprised our game against Wales is still going ahead.

EDIT: Now called off.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Super rugby has been suspended for the 'foreseeable future'. After their 47-14 win over the Waratahs, the Brumbies may have the honour of winning the last ever super rugby match played in the era of conferences.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I've got tickets, booked trains hotels etc. for the European Finals in Marseille. Can't see them happening.

Offsideagain

I think the scenery in Rugby Union will change dramatically in the next year. Many junior clubs will fold due to lack of funds via the bar etc. There are some clubs that can’t afford to travel beyond 20 miles of their ground and have cried off matches. The top boys will be ok I guess but I think the time for signing ‘big name’ foreign players has had its day. The meal ticket will end as clubs battle to re-establish their finances and become sensible. I reckon the 19-20 season will resume early June and be completed followed by a rest period and back to normal in October. I’m missing going to my local club to watch a game and have a few beers with old friends.
In the meantime, stay safe and be patient.

freeurmind

weak willed
So it appears Rugby Australia are putting in some new rule changes for their Super Rugby tournament. Stuff to do with kicking, scrums and red cards. Will be interesting to see how it affects the game.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Super Rugby Aotearoa kicked off with a beauty under the roof in Dunedin. Highlanders reserve Brynn Gatland kicked the winning drop goal to sink the Chiefs who are coached by his father.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
So it appears Rugby Australia are putting in some new rule changes for their Super Rugby tournament. Stuff to do with kicking, scrums and red cards. Will be interesting to see how it affects the game.
I don't agree with the red card alteration being trialled in Australiasia. I prefer New Zealand approach of essentially blowing the laws compared to the laws being trialled here in AUS.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Super Rugby Aotearoa kicked off with a beauty under the roof in Dunedin. Highlanders reserve Brynn Gatland kicked the winning drop goal to sink the Chiefs who are coached by his father.

Nice to see the crowds in NZ and really enjoyed the game.

I like the idea of 20mins for a red compared to sending off

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Sorry to hear that, I haven't been watching out for updates. That's awful if so.

In other news, I enjoyed the hell out of Connacht's performance at the weekend.
Have you seen the H cup format for next season and if so can you explain it to me:lol::lol:, from my understanding a Munster v Leinster this Friday is a battle for tier 1 spot

arnie_ni

Top win for ulster last night. Can't see us beating leinster though

Reiver

Top win for ulster last night. Can't see us beating leinster though
Yes it was very good. I honestly thought Edinburgh had it won. Same mental frailties you see in the Scotland team. Would also fancy Leinster in the final.

The North vs South All Blacks was one of the best matches I've seen in a long time.